The Beatles vs The Who

• The Beatles

• The Who

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

50's / 60's Region Final Four Match #1

#1 The Beatles vs #5 The Who

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

Polls will be open for 7 days. You don't need to vote right away - let's see some debate on these two bands before you all vote the winner in!

It's simply The Who. If The Beatles are so great then why don't their songs appear in as many adverts, TV shows, films and so on? It's because The Who do better and catchier songs. The Beatles are the biggest band of all time. But that doesn't make them the best. I hear Nickelback are very popular at the moment. The Beatles have never done a proper anthem. The Who have several albums worth.

The Beatles should be in the finals against Elvis. The reason The Who's music is being played in advertisements has nothing to do with whether its catchy or not, and everything to do with The Who allowing the songs to be played. Its called licensing. They get paid when CSI plays their songs as their theme. They get paid when Cadillac uses their songs. I also cannot believe you are comparing Nickelback to the Beatles. Without the success of the Beatles, The Who never get American exposure. Without the success of the Beatles opening up the American market to British music, The Who don't make it here.

Without the success of the Beatles, The Who never get American exposure. Without the success of the Beatles opening up the American market to British music, The Who don't make it here.

Not true. If it wasn't The Beatles it would have been somebody else. Possibly The Who. Possibly Zeppelin. We'll never know.

Most people like The Beatles because they're told they like them. I'm sure there are a percentage of people who do genuinely believe they are the greatest band of all time. Certainly if you were around in the 60's. But the music is from the 60's, and you can tell that today. On the other hand there are millions of bands around with a similar sound to The Who.

I actually don't like the Beatles. I don't like most of their songs. (there are a few exceptions, but as a rule, I don't particularly care for the Beatles) However, I understand their contribution to the music industry. I understand that there was an entire decade when the Beatles ruled the world. If I were voting strictly on personal preferences, I would have thrown my vote in with The Who without a second's hesitation. But, when I look at what the tournament is supposed to be about, namely an artist's mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. (taken directly from IrishCanadian's post) I cannot vote for The Who over the Beatles, despite personal feelings.

Which band made the biggest mark on the music industry? Sorry, this is an obvious answer. As far as UK bands go, there is simply the Beatles, and everyone else.

Which band made the biggest mark on society as a whole? Again, the Beatles. EVERYONE knows the Beatles, Everyone can probably name at least 3 of the 4, if not all 4. How many typical music listeners could name the all the members of The Who? Not nearly as many.

Again, if this was just about personal tastes, for me, The Who would win, hands down. But, from a cultural perspective, the Beatles made a far more significant mark on the music industry, and society.

I understand that there was an entire decade when the Beatles ruled the world.

There was also a decade where boy bands ruled the world too, doesn't mean they were talented

If I were voting strictly on personal preferences, I would have thrown my vote in with The Who without a second's hesitation. But, when I look at what the tournament is supposed to be about, namely an artist's mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. (taken directly from IrishCanadian's post) I cannot vote for The Who over the Beatles, despite personal feelings.

Yes cause clearly The Who never made a mark on the music industry, influneced a shit load of other artists, had incredible lyrics, produced great music, etc.:icon_rolleyes:

Please dude, The Who have the Beatles beat here, the Who>Beatles, shit Beatles aren't even all that relevant anymore

Which band made the biggest mark on the music industry? Sorry, this is an obvious answer. As far as UK bands go, there is simply the Beatles, and everyone else.

So your saying The Who,The Animals, Peter and Gordon, Cilla Black, The Dave Clark Five, Petula Clark, Donovan, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Freddie and the Dreamers, Herman's Hermits, The Kinks, Manfred Mann, The New Vaudeville Band, The Rolling Stones, The Troggs, The Yardbirds, The Zombies all didn't make and a big mark on the music industry, seems like a pretty foolish thing to say considering they all came out around the same time

Which band made the biggest mark on society as a whole? Again, the Beatles. EVERYONE knows the Beatles, Everyone can probably name at least 3 of the 4, if not all 4. How many typical music listeners could name the all the members of The Who? Not nearly as many.

Yeah cause names like Pete Townsend, Roger Daltrey, or Keith Moon are names the average person has never heard:rolleyes:

please everybody has heard those names, everybody

and more people have heard of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison. I wasn't saying The Who didn't have a huge influence over the music industry, I was saying that the Beatles made more. You seem to be thinking that I was saying The Who made no influence...which, is a complete misread of my post. Intentional? Please, if you are going to put words into my mouth, at least make sure its something I actually said. I have the utmost respect for The Who. But, only an idiot denies the Beatles influence over the entire music industry, whether you like them or not. Again. I don't like the Beatles. I never have gotten into their style of music. BUT. That doesn't mean I cannot appreciate their incredible role in shaping the entire music landscape. No artist/band has possibly influenced the entire music industry as much as the Beatles did, with the possible exception of Elvis Presley. THAT DOESN'T MEAN OTHERS HAVEN'T INFLUENCED THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, so your rebuttal to my comments are completely pointless, because you are taking offense at something that was never said.

Musical ability - The Who take this hands down. I mean listen to the Beatles music, it's simple and mundane, basic rhythms as they had an awful drummer and nothing extraordinary on the guitars. The Beatles were the exact same as the majority of other 4 man bands from that time like the Monkees. Nothing special.
The Who by contrast have an edgy feel to their music, with somewhat 'unusual' sounding intros. If i've compared the Beatles with the Monkees, the only comparison I could think of for The Who would be The Doors. The were different - they played gigs in opera houses

Influence - The Beatles revolutionised music, blah blah blah. The Beatles were doing nothing different to the majority of bands in that era. Nothing new, nothing interesting, just the charisma of Lennon and McCartney.
The Who...here's the standard Wiki quote
The Who are one of the most influential groups in rock music. Their progressive approach to the writing of albums and their exciting live shows are matched by few. The hard rock style they brought to England's music scene was one that set the stage for other bands ranging from Led Zeppelin to The Clash. The Who have sold more than 100 million albums worldwide.

The music of The Who's earliest Mod genesis in the 1960s provided a significant source of inspiration for bands of the Britpop wave in Britain in the mid-1990s. Bands such as Blur, Oasis, Stereophonics and Ash draw a heavy influence from the band's work, which, especially with the Mod counter-culture, provided a quintessentially "Cool Britannia" ideal.

The Who have also been called "The Godfathers of Punk" in numerous publications, as well as in Spike Lee's film, Summer of Sam. Part of the foundation of punk rock lies in The Who's onstage aggression, violence and snotty attitude. The Stooges, MC5, Ramones, Sex Pistols, the Clash, Generation X, Green Day and many other punk rock and protopunk rock bands, point to The Who as a major influence.

Aren't these American bands doing rather well in this tournament from my knowledge. I mean the well known UK bands named all do well here and Oasis advanced a good bit into the tournament.

Bottom Line - The Who are better musicians, end of. The Beatles were popular because they were the first 'sex-appeal' boy band, the same way Elvis did well. Good lyrics, but not enough to carry past a band who wrote a song about a spider crawling up the wall.

Musical ability - The Who take this hands down. I mean listen to the Beatles music, it's simple and mundane, basic rhythms as they had an awful drummer and nothing extraordinary on the guitars. The Beatles were the exact same as the majority of other 4 man bands from that time like the Monkees. Nothing special.
The Who by contrast have an edgy feel to their music, with somewhat 'unusual' sounding intros. If i've compared the Beatles with the Monkees, the only comparison I could think of for The Who would be The Doors. The were different - they played gigs in opera houses

Influence - The Beatles revolutionised music, blah blah blah. The Beatles were doing nothing different to the majority of bands in that era. Nothing new, nothing interesting, just the charisma of Lennon and McCartney.
The Who...here's the standard Wiki quote

Aren't these American bands doing rather well in this tournament from my knowledge. I mean the well known UK bands named all do well here and Oasis advanced a good bit into the tournament.

Bottom Line - The Who are better musicians, end of. The Beatles were popular because they were the first 'sex-appeal' boy band, the same way Elvis did well. Good lyrics, but not enough to carry past a band who wrote a song about a spider crawling up the wall.

Fucking Awesome post Polly, green fucking rep for you my friend, you basically said what I've thought all these years, the Beatles where only popular cause they were the first band in America to do what they did in front of a mainstream audience, by no means that that automatically make them the best, same can be said for Elvis, and fucking Nirvana, just because you're the first band to be seen by a large audience doing something doesn't mean you are the best, it just means you are the first nothing more

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back