70's Bracket Discussion

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1970's Region Bracket

The 1970's region was narrowed down to an even 64 bands, meaning no byes and no preliminary round matches. The 1970's region will kick off after the 80's and 90's regions arrive at a bracket of 64.

1970's First Round Matches

Pink Floyd vs Supertramp
The Clash vs Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
Kiss vs Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Billy Joel vs Todd Rundgren
Iron Maiden vs Grand Funk Railroad
Kansas vs Three Dog Night
Judas Priest vs Peter Frampton
The Police vs The Cars
Queen vs Blondie
Chicago vs Santana
Elton John vs Marshall Tucker Band
Boston vs Ted Nugent
Black Sabbath vs J. Giles Band
ZZ Top vs The Allman Brothers Band
Fleetwood Mac vs The Doobie Brothers
Eric Clapton vs Yes
Van Halen (w/ David Lee Roth) vs Heart
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers vs Bad Company
Rush vs Steppenwolf
David Bowie vs REO Speedwagon
Jethro Tull vs Pat Benatar
Styx vs The Ramones
Lynard Skynard vs America
Deep Purple vs Foreigner
Aerosmith vs Steve Miller Band
Rod Stewart vs The Sex Pistols
Alice Cooper vs Stevie Wonder
The Eagles vs Bachman Turner Overdrive
Journey vs George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Blue Oyster Cult vs Dire Straits
AC/DC (w/ Bon Scott) vs Alan Parsons Project
Bob Seger vs Iggy Pop and the Stooges

In this thread, you all may discuss the general state of the 1970's region.

I think I need to be a little more educated on the 70's region, because I've only heard of 6 or so bands. Queen, Kiss, Styx, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and AC/DC. And just because I'm a sucker for them, I have Kiss winning this bracket. They haven't had many number 1 hits, but you can't deny they've had some great songs that'd be on top of the charts if they were introduced now.

Personally I like the state of the 70's region. I think a lot of theses bands made alot of serious impact on the music world, and all of them deserve to be here in one way or another. I personally think that this region (at least for me, I can't speak for everyone else) will probably be the most interesting for me, as a good majority of the bands in this region I not only know and recognize, but I also enjoy listening to most of them as well

Aphelion, I agree 100% with you. The 70's region is probably the best top-to-bottom region in the entire tournament, where even the #64 has some fair claim to fame. It's going to be wide open who comes out of this region, and in fact, I think some vBookies are in order for the winners of each region.

That Grammy incident was giving Tull the Grammy effectively for Aqualung. Which is a great album. Jethro Tull is Progressive Rock and deserves to be in here. IC25 just get rid of the duplicates from here that are in the 80's to fit Meatloaf in. Like Iron Maiden.

That Grammy incident was giving Tull the Grammy effectively for Aqualung. Which is a great album. Jethro Tull is Progressive Rock and deserves to be in here. IC25 just get rid of the duplicates from here that are in the 80's to fit Meatloaf in. Like Iron Maiden.

Ah, good call Shadow. There is still the matter of the duplicates to delete. Well, since the 80's prelims are next, I suppose I have some time.

Jethro Tull, no matter how overrated I may think they are, absolutely do deserve to be in this. Just because you don't like a hugely successful artist, doesn't mean they aren't going to be involved you guys. Aqualung is one of the most critically acclaimed and best-selling albums of all time.

Jethro Tull, no matter how overrated I may think they are, absolutely do deserve to be in this. Just because you don't like a hugely successful artist, doesn't mean they aren't going to be involved you guys. Aqualung is one of the most critically acclaimed and best-selling albums of all time.

Dear God thank you, someone with some sense.

Ian Anderson is (of course, in my opinion) among the most talented artists of a generation. Who really did what he did before he did it? And why hasn't anyone tried to duplicate it since then? And don't tell me "nobody duplicates it because it sucks" because tat is BS given the success Tull has had. They are among the best musical storytellers in history and not only should be in this thing, but should make some waves.

How in the world is Led Zeppelin not in this region. Maybe I overlooked them which I hope so. I know they came out in the 60's but the 70's is when they were at the top. In my eyes, Led, Lynard, AC/DC, and Eagles are the four greatest ever. How many different artists have stated that Zep influcenced them. Also I agree Meatloaf should be in here.

How in the world is Led Zeppelin not in this region. Maybe I overlooked them which I hope so. I know they came out in the 60's but the 70's is when they were at the top. In my eyes, Led, Lynard, AC/DC, and Eagles are the four greatest ever. How many different artists have stated that Zep influcenced them. Also I agree Meatloaf should be in here.

Ok, maybe Zeppelin was at their peak in the 70's, but they got their first MAJOR start in the 60's. That is why I ask people to take a band's entire body of work into account. Zeppelin is in the 60's region, but when voted on, people will look at the 70's, 80's, and 90's in deciding if they are the best band ever. A few bands have had greater level of mainstream success than the bracket they are in.

Meatloaf is in the 70's region, but "Bat Out Of Hell 2" was a 90's album with his biggest hit, "I'd Do Anything for Love."

Aerosmith is a 70's band, but arguably their best success was in the 90's with Get a Grip.

I am sure I could find a mess of other bands that fit this mold too...

This is the hardest region to pick in so far. I have to pick with a bloody coin flip. The 70's are so damned deep and difficult to come up with a decent reason why I shouldn't vote for someone except for Ted Nugent. I hate that man.

Shit I should have paid attention when nominations were going on. I noticed that there is no ELO in this. They could easily been in there ahead of Ted Nugent or Boston. Shit and I am on such an ELO fix right now. They are awesome. Someone should remind me about this next year as I would like to be on the group that picks the bands. especially for this decade.

Shit I should have paid attention when nominations were going on. I noticed that there is no ELO in this. They could easily been in there ahead of Ted Nugent or Boston. Shit and I am on such an ELO fix right now. They are awesome. Someone should remind me about this next year as I would like to be on the group that picks the bands. especially for this decade.

Yeah, I saw that we missed ELO too. They would NEVER have been ahead of Boston, but certainly Nugent and even Kiss. ELO was a great band, chalk it up to part of the learning curve. If we ever run this tournament again they'll be in the field.

As if we need ANOTHER great band in the 70's.

The first round of the 70's region has come to an end! And what a round it was! In all honesty, top to bottom, the 70's must have had the best field of 64 in the tournament. It's going to be a crap shoot to see who makes the Final Four from the 70's Region.

For the most part, my seeding was dead on the money. All of my top 20 seeds advanced in round one, and only Foreigner upsetting Deep Purple and Iggy Pop defeating Bob Seger prevented a run of 26 straight top seeds advancing.

Mixed in with some competitive matches were some real routs, including Santana over Chicago and The Clash over Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. I obviously seeded The Clash far too low.

We had one tie in the 70's Region this round, as Blue Oyster Cult and Dire Straits couldn't get out of a 9-9 deadlock. I can totally understand why these two bands tied - I had a world of trouble making a choice myself. As a result of the tie, we will have an epic 70's Arena Rock Triple Threat Match in Round Two, with Dire Straits AND Blue Oyster Cult facing Journey. It gets no easier from here.

The updated 70's bracket is available for viewing here:

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=270127&tclass=70's Region

A few of the highlighted 2nd round matches will be Billy Joel vs Kiss, Jethro Tull facing off against the Ramones, the Journey / Dire Straits / BOC triple threat, Aerosmith vs The Sex Pistols, Fleetwood Mac vs Eric Clapton, and Elton John vs Santana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back