AJ Lee = Miss Elizabeth?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Last year was the summer of Punk, this past summer we've had the summer of AJ. She has came up this whole time in 2012 when she first started a storyline with Daniel Bryan. Now all of a sudden she's the new general manger of monday night RAW. So she skip's to & from the ring on a prime time basis.

To some WWE fans they see her as Mickie James 2.0. While other fans see her as a Stephanie McMahon-lite. But in the WWE's eyes. She could be the new Miss Elizabeth of this WWE wrestling era? How? Sure she was in a wrestling couple like how the late Miss Elizabeth was. Aj had Daniel Bryan, and Miss Elizabeth had the Macho Man Randy Savage (R.I.P. 2X). Then later came in the third party in CM Punk into the love picture. Like how one Hulk Hogan came in to snatch Miss Elizabeth from Savage.

We've seen WWE diva's come & go (we currently still are it seems). But the WWE feels that they can force WWE young diva AJ Lee into the modern era Miss Elizabeth. Is it really a good idea or just a phase that the E is going through?

No! No! and No!. Miss Elizabeth was a one off and AJ is nothing like her in any way. In a wrestling couple, so what? Trish, Lita, Victoria, Molly Holly etc have all been apart of a wrestling couple and none of them are Elizabeth either. The thing about Miss Elizabeth was that she was a valet and nothing more, hardily got into the ring and when she did it wasn't to wrestle. The role of divas has completely changed compared to the innocence Miss Elizabeth portrayed in her WWE career.

Not even close. They are polar opposites. When Elizabeth came along it was a shock. She was a pretty petite young woman who was basically there to create a contrast between the cocky Macho Man bully and the sweet beautiful sensitive Elizabeth. We all hated him more because we couldn't understand why she was with him and were just waiting for her to break free. It was brilliant and I am glad I didn't understand the dynamic when I was a kid.

AJ may also be a pretty petite young woman but that is where the comparisons end. We waited for a short time for her to separate herself from DB but in the end it turns out she is her own woman. She talks incessantly, has developed this unstable character, gets physical, has wrestled, skips, makes out like a champ, and wears far from princess clothing.

There may have been a short period where you could make this comparison but that is long over. AJ and Elizabeth are worlds apart. Elizabeth is worlds apart from any woman in the WWE that has come since.

Elizabeth was, as others have stated, a one of a kind thing. She was a gorgeous fantasy of a girl that belongs to a different time. In the 1980's we wanted a girl that looked like her and acted like her. Now, she would seem rather odd, just standing around and looking concerned. She also walked with giants. Macho Man and the Hulkster, Jake the Snake Roberts were so much bigger than life that she seemed part of a kind of magical world of heroes and villains. She seemed swept up in it all, and something about her inability to do much anything--even make a decision on whose corner she would sit in when the MegaPowers exploded--made her seem vulnerable and human. At the time, I ate it up.

AJ is another character altogether. She does too much, makes too many decisions too quickly. She isn't passive at all. I really kind of liked the beginning of her reign as GM. But the booking on her story has made her seem weak and lost. I much preferred the "crazy like a fox" girl they let her be for a while. Now, the only redeeming quality of her segments is the way she reminds you of the psycho chick you dated for for a month in college. Okay, maybe that's just me, but it was a hell of a month.

Liz's whole character was that of a passive. The same could hardly be said of AJ, not less now she is billed as an authority figure. So no, I don't see your link at all. Unless the link stops at them having two X chromosomes a piece...

i remember hearing people make this statement, and i couldn't help but think......... HUH? A.J. THE NEXT ELIZABETH!!!! IN WHAT UNIVERSE!!! i don't recall elizabeth ever being psycho, running around and skipping like a 3 grader, and kissing on men that wasn't RANDY SAVAGE.

I guess that the WWE creative team see's it fit to make AJ the diva's face of the WWE-PG. And now that Kelly Kelly is gone, more "power" to AJ. But to try to make AJ Lee into the new or next miss Elizabeth in this wrestling era is just off to me.

AJ is barely legal (drinking wise) to even try to mimic a miss Elizabeth. I mean the wedding angle with Daniel Bryan was even taking it to a bad level. And AJ going around kissing & Calling guy superstars is not miss Elizabeth-like. So I would have to disagree with the E.

The only real question here is, what are they putting in the water in Stamford, Connecticut?

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....Thanks for posting this article. I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and intelligent commentary on this subject. Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong. real estate attorney Thanks for your concise and relevant insight a great work of your which shows...I like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. i would like to invite my other friends to this site, as you have done a great job.i must say...keep it up guys..Thanks for the information.I apriciate each and every point of your article.Really great information .Keep sharing …..Well done :)

I love Miss Elizabeth, she was a part of one of the greatest wrestling angles of all time, her reunion with Macho Man at Mania is one of the greatest moments in this industry bar none, it is such a beautiful moment.

That said, AJ Lee is far more talented than Elizabeth was, in terms of just having any presence and charisma, AJ has some fantastic facial expressions that sell her storylines, Elizabeth was never good at...well anything. Macho Man was the obvious super talent, she was just a pretty face. RIP, no disrespect meant ofcourse

The difference is that, WWF at that time knew what the fudge they were doing, WWE is inept at even booking The Rock or Bret Hart returns, nWo, Goldberg, Invasion etc

The two aren't comparable.

Ms. Elizabeth was/is an iconic figure. She might not have been the first or only female manager in the WWF and WCW, but she is clearly the most well known. She didn't do much because when she was with Randy Savage she didn't need to. Randy didn't need Liz but she added more to his character. When he was a heel who was overly controlling of her, it gained him more heat. When he came to her rescue or she tried to protect him that helped her popularity, adoration for her and for Savage. The reunion at WM 7 was Randy's redemption. Liz came at a time when Wrestling and WWF reached its peak in terms of popularity.

She spoke rarely , but Randy didn't need a mouthpiece in WWF. In WCW, she did a little more, spoke more and was a villain who interfered in matches, which most fans didn't really get behind but let's face it characters do change.

AJ is no Elizabeth. She isn't an iconic figure. She can do more than Liz, no question, solid wrestler, great at gaining fan support, but she isn't as recognizable in and out of the wrestling world as Liz was. Few wrestlers, managers male or female are. If WWE handles AJ 's character right, she could be as big if not greater than Liz. For them to do that, they need to lose that skipping to ring nonsense and make her character seem more like an authority figure than a shrinking violet. She can everything right and she still might not reach Liz' popularity because AJ's with the company at a time where its popularity couldn't be any lower. Timing is the issue here more than anything else.

AJ wishes.

Maybe it's just me, but no other woman will be what Liz was. And AJ is good in her current role, but Liz was much more adored, not to mention wrestling was so much bigger and she was THE woman of wrestling in the 80's. No offense to Woman or Sherri.

i don't recall elizabeth ever being psycho, running around and skipping like a 3 grader, and kissing on men that wasn't RANDY SAVAGE.

That's because Elizabeth, for all her charm and appeal, was a supporting character, never thrusting herself to the forefront. For years, she supported Savage....then she supported Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire for a while, then went back to Savage. But her entire persona was based on being outwardly meek and inwardly strong.

A.J. is an act in herself, most of the time. That she's in a supporting role to Dolph at this time is something Creative does occasionally with her; they take her out of the spotlight and dim her role a bit, apparently not wanting to burn her out. This is similar to her run as Raw G.M. Despite outward appearances, that was a lull period for her; she was issuing solemn pronouncements instead of shrieking her head off to create distractions for Dolph or throwing herself at male wrestlers like a lovestruck teenager.

Do you remember the time Elizabeth climbed on the ring apron and ripped off her dress, freezing Hulk Hogan and referee Jesse Ventura to the spot, creating time for Macho Man to get himself together? That was more like A.J. than herself....and it was the only time she ever did something like that, which is the point: Liz was the quiet beauty in the background while A.J. is the over-the-top coquette in our faces.

Different as night and day.

IMO Elisabeth was good as a manager, there to support Randy Savage. AJ is not necessarily the manager type as I've noticed since she has been somewhat managing Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston. She seems to be the type that wants to be in the spotlight and possibly get over as one of the top divas, something that Elizabeth couldn't do.

Both of them may be female and very likable characters, but they specialize the WWE in their own unique way. Elizabeth being the manager type, supporting her man (Savage, Rhodes) to victory, and AJ, causing havoc to all who walk in her path from CM Punk and Daniel Bryan to most recently Big E Langston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back