Analyzing Parenting:To All Parents Around the World!

L@RISANO

R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
Got this message a couple days ago on Whatsapp, given I am going to be a Dad soon, I thought I'd share this and hopefully have a discussion:-

I generally am quite an optimistic person. I tend to believe that everything will work out for the best unless the evidence is overwhelmingly to the contrary, and anyone who knows me will tell you that I am not prone to drama. That's why when I say that modern parenting is in serious trouble -- crisis, even -- I hope you'll listen, and listen carefully. I've worked with children and their parents across two continents and two decades, and what I've seen in recent years alarms me. Here are the greatest problems, as I see them:

1. A fear of our children. I have what I think of as "the sippy cup test," wherein I will observe a parent getting her toddler a cup of milk in the morning. If the child says, "I want the pink sippy cup, not the blue!" yet the mum has already poured the milk into the blue sippy cup, I watch carefully to see how the parent reacts. More often than not, the mum's face whitens and she rushes to get the preferred sippy cup before the child has a tantrum. Fail! What are you afraid of, mum? Who is in charge here? Let her have a tantrum, and remove yourself so you don't have to hear it. But for goodness' sake, don't make extra work for yourself just to please her -- and even more importantly, think about the lesson it teaches if you give her what she wants because she's thrown a fit.

2. A lowered bar. When children misbehave, whether it's by way of public outburst or private surliness, parents are apt to shrug their shoulders as if to say, "That's just the way it is with kids." I assure you, it doesn't have to be. Children are capable of much more than parents typically expect from them, whether it's in the form of proper manners, respect for elders, chores, generosity or self-control. You don't think a child can sit through dinner at a restaurant? Rubbish. You don't think a child can clear the table without being asked? Rubbish again! The only reason they don't behave is because you haven't shown them how and you haven't expected it! It's that simple. Raise the bar and your child shall rise to the occasion.

3. We've lost the village. It used to be that bus drivers, teachers, shopkeepers and other parents had carte blanche to correct an unruly child. They would act as the mum and dad's eyes and ears when their children were out of sight, and everyone worked towards the same shared interest: raising proper boys and girls. This village was one of support. Now, when someone who is not the child's parent dares to correct him, the mum and dad get upset. They want their child to appear perfect, and so they often don't accept teachers' and others' reports that he is not. They'll storm in and have a go at a teacher rather than discipline their child for acting out in class. They feel the need to project a perfect picture to the world and unfortunately, their insecurity is reinforced because many parents do judge one another. If a child is having a tantrum, all eyes turn on the mum disapprovingly. Instead she should be supported, because chances are the tantrum occurred because she's not giving in to one of her child's demands. Those observers should instead be saying, "Hey, good work -- I know setting limits is hard."

4. A reliance on shortcuts. I think it's wonderful that parents have all sorts of electronics to help them through airline flights and long waits at the doctor's office. It's equally fabulous that we can order our groceries online for delivery, and heat up healthy-ish food at the touch of a button on the microwave. Parents are busier than ever, and I'm all for taking the easy way when you need it. But shortcuts can be a slippery slope. When you see how wonderful it is that Caillou can entertain your child on a flight, don't be tempted to put it on when you are at a restaurant. Children must still learn patience. They must still learn to entertain themselves. They must still learn that not all food comes out steaming hot and ready in three minutes or less, and ideally they will also learn to help prepare.

Discuss. :)

First of all, congratulations! I hope you have a great time being a dad.

I am not a parent and won't be for quite sometime, but I can say this, I dread today's parenting. My parents didn't hand the world to me. They disciplined me when I was out of line. They pampered me when I was down low. They didn't give me everything I wanted the way I wanted it. They spanked me a little when I threw a tantrum. And all in all, I believe that I turned out a good enough person who has a job and a life. I see today's parent and how they want to make everything easy for their kids and cave into every demand the kid makes.

I remember once I found a kid loitering around a mart and handed that kid over to a superstore worker. Minutes later, the mom came hard at me telling me I should've known better and should have tried to find her. Meanwhile, that child had no reaction as he was busy eating the big ice-cream handed over to him. I see parents giving their kids bikes and cars during school when they should be cycling to school. And then we blame our younger generation of being self-centered and having sense of entitlement. Who's responsible for that?

A lot of points made in this text resonate with me. And whenever I become dad, I'd want to keep a few things in my mind.

Congratulations on your upcoming parenthood dude. I hope all goes well for you, your girl and your new addition.

As a parent myself I totally agree with you. I can be pretty lax in regards to my kid but at the same time if I have to discipline my kid I do it and I won't let my kid act like a spoiled brat and get away with it. My personal philosophy on parenting is to ensure my kid is happy, healthy and loved but always keep in mind that the goal is to raise a well adjusted individual that can stand on their own 2 feet. In order to do that a hierarchy has to be established and the parent has to be at the very top, not the kid. Although it's important to put your kids needs ahead of your on at times they have to understand that the parent is the boss and too often it's the other way around in this day and age.

I find alot of parents are way too uptight and have that high and mighty attitude, not only about themselves but about their kid too. When the kid is put on a pedestal it often gets to a point that they're always right so when a teacher, bus driver or a close friend calls them out on their poor behavior the parents take it personally and take the "how dare they discipline our sweet, perfect child" attitude. Last summer I remember a neighborhood kid would piss in a cup then proceed to throw it at the other kids. One of the parents found out one day, got mad and yelled at the kid not to do it. Once the kids parent found out all she heard was her kid was yelled at, she didn't care her kid was throwing cups of piss at other kids, the kid was never disciplined and the moms wouldn't talk to each other for a long while. It's absolutely absurd a kid would get away with that Scott free but he did, if I did that I wouldn't have been able to leave my room for a week. I remember breaking my dad's contac when I was 4 because I was going through his stuff and I got grounded for it. Was I upset about it? Of course I was. Was I mad that I was punished? Damn straight but I learned my lesson, that's for sure. Sometimes the parent has to be the bad guy in the kids eyes, it comes with the territory but at the same time how is the kid supposed to learn what not to do if the parent doesn't do anything about it? Any time I've disciplined my kid she's only mad for a short period of time and with any luck a lesson was learned.

At the end of the day a parents job isn't to just have a child but to raise a child, and raise it properly, it's just a shame an increasing number of parents don't understand that. When it all comes down to it, it's not my job to be my daughters friend, it's my job to be her parent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back