And Manny Pacquiao's next opponent is....

jmt225

Global Moderator
.... Antonio Margarito

:disappointed:

Don't get me wrong here, Antonio Margarito is a very good fighter, but he's nowhere near Pacquiao's league. I mean, this is a guy who got completely schooled by Shane Mosley a little over a year ago. Why should we expect this guy to go in there and compete with Pacquiao?

The only good thing that can come out of this is that maybe we'll now see Miguel Cotto vs. Floyd Mayweather, since Cotto was the only other named being tossed around to fight Pacquiao. I really, really think outside of Pacquiao, Cotto is the one guy who can beat Mayweather.

And personally, if Pacquiao isn't fighting Mayweather, then I want to see Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4. An opponent like Margarito just doesn't interests me for Pacquiao. I've never seen anything from Margarito that suggest he could even compete with Manny. He's a good fighter, but not a great one.

Anyways, two questions for you all:

1. Do you think Antonio Margarito stands the slightest chance of defeating Manny Pacquiao?

2. Now we know for sure that Pacquiao is not fighting Mayweather, who would you like to be Mayweather's next opponent?

.... Antonio Margarito

FUCK!

Don't get me wrong here, Antonio Margarito is a very good fighter, but he's nowhere near Pacquiao's league. I mean, this is a guy who got completely schooled by Shane Mosley a little over a year ago. Why should we expect this guy to go in there and compete with Pacquiao?

We shouldn't expect it, and it's not going to happen. The only chance Margarito has is to land a lucky shot, which would be dissapointing on so many levels if it were to happen.

The only good thing that can come out of this is that maybe we'll now see Miguel Cotto vs. Floyd Mayweather, since Cotto was the only other named being tossed around to fight Pacquiao. I really, really think outside of Pacquiao, Cotto is the one guy who can beat Mayweather.

I personally don't think anyone can beat Mayweather, he's too quick, has too good of defense, and knows exactley what he wants to do in each fight, he's unbeatable. Then only person with even a slight chance to beat him is Pacquiao, at the moment.

And personally, if Pacquiao isn't fighting Mayweather, then I want to see Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4. An opponent like Margarito just doesn't interests me for Pacquiao. I've never seen anything from Margarito that suggest he could even compete with Manny. He's a good fighter, but not a great one.

I agree, at least we may see an exciting fight, rather than a beatdown of epic proportions.

1. Do you think Antonio Margarito stands the slightest chance of defeating Manny Pacquiao?

Well it is boxing, so anything can happen, but the only way he'll win, is if he lands a lucky K.O blow.

2. Now we know for sure that Pacquiao is not fighting Mayweather, who would you like to be Mayweather's next opponent?

Cotto as well, he's an exciting fighter, they've never fought before, and he's the only other guy (besides Pacquiao) who can even slightly match up with Floyd. It's dissapointing we won't see the Floyd/Manny bout, I was rather looking forward to it. Hopefully after Pac and Floyds next fights are done, they can put aside their childish diffrences and give this sport the fight it deserves.

would love to see pacman or Mayweather go against Pual Williams but think both of them are too scared that he can beat them.And while I like Cotto Mayweather I don't see Mayweather taking that fight cuase it would put pressure on him to beat cotto quicker than Pacman did.So I say give Mayweather Andre Berto.

would love to see pacman or Mayweather go against Pual Williams but think both of them are too scared that he can beat them.

Ahh, Paul Willams, I had almost forgot about him. It sure would be intersting seeing either Williams or Pac square off with him. Honestly if anyone has a chance to beat either Pac or Mayweather, it's Williams.

And while I like Cotto Mayweather I don't see Mayweather taking that fight cuase it would put pressure on him to beat cotto quicker than Pacman did.So I say give Mayweather Andre Berto.

I don't think there would be any pressure, Mayweathers style is way diffrent than Pacs, Mayweather isn't known for being a knockout puncher, while Pacquiao has made a name out of it.

He has a chance for sure, the guy is a BIG WW though not very skillful or fast, but if he catches Manny then he could have him in trouble, i dont see it happening but he does a chance. It fucking irritates me big time that this cheat is getting the biggest pay day of his career and he is STILL BANNED FROM FIGHTING IN AMERICA! That is the problem with the sport and too many orginizations.(thought thats for another topic) I see Pac using his speed to outmanouevre Margarito and land pretty much at will and making Margarito miss alot (Marg throws alot of punches in his bout with Paul Williams he threw over 1000 punches) I see a late stoppage in Pacs favour.

The Mayweather/Cotto fight is looking doubtful for now as Cotto/Chavez jnr is on the cards, just another case of Bob Arum being the greedy bastard that he is and keeping all bouts in house (Top Rank) and getting his cuts from both fighters. (see Pac/Marg as another example of this) I really dont see where Mayweather goes from there as the only other credible fight for him would be WBC LMW and MW champ Sergio Martinez, which would be a very tough fight and 1 i would love to see, other than that i foresee another Mayweather retirement until when next May/June when the hype will start again with Pac and hopefully they get it on this time.

.... Antonio Margarito

:disappointed:

Anyways, two questions for you all:

For me this news was kind of a let down. I like many others wanted to see Pacquiao-Mayweather so bad I could taste the leather these two would trade.

I am in total and complete agreement with you as well that if there is anyone else out there who can contend with Mayweather it's Cotto. I don't think he would win against Mayweather but he would at least be competitive. Cotto's starting to loose his tools, don't forget he's been fighting for quite a while. I have "Ring Magazines" from as far back as 03-04 when they were calling Miguel Cotto the next star of the division. He's had a lot of fights and tough ones at that. I just don't know if the reflexes are what they used to be, or if he'd be able to hunt down Mayweather who we know would be moving around Cotto like he was in orbit which we saw against Pacquiao really threw him off. That kind of lateral movement is hard to adjust to and you can bet Mayweather would be counting on it.

Antonio Margaritaville, might be a more formidable opponent than he is getting credit for as well. Keep in mind he has beaten Joshua Clottey who was also beat by Pacquiao, he beat Kermit Cintron while he was undefeated, and he's beaten Miguel Cotto who we both agree would be a good fight for Mayweather. He's also set a compubox record for most punches thrown in a fight with 1,675 punches thrown in a twelve round bout(admittedly I found the punch stat on Wikipedia, gotta love it). I was thinking that Margarito had fought Pacquiao at a lower weight and scored a draw or a UD but I was mistaken that was your pick, Marquez.

I'm not really interested in a Marquez-Pacquiao 4 simply because Pacquiao has developed so much since they fought I don't think it would even be competitive. Mayweather dominated him with ease, and I think Pacquiao would seriously hurt him now. Pacquiao fought a different kind of fight back then, he used to just throw and take damage. Now he is a legit boxer and one of the best I've ever seen bar-nun of all time. Marquez on the other hand hasn't aged so gracefully in the ring. He like Cotto is starting to wind down a bit and isn't the same fighter he was when he fought Pacquiao.

Margarito on the other hand has something to prove which is why this is interesting to me. I can't say for sure that he really has a chance. Pacquiao is so far away better than the rest I just don't don't see this ending well for Margarito. Nonetheless, Margarito is really tough and he is a pretty skilled boxer who should be able and will be willing to mix it up a bit. At the least I think this will be a very exciting fight as Margarito is a banger and so is Pacquiao. I don't see this going the distance as a result, I give it to Pacquiao inside of 9 rounds(that's a safe guess) possible inside of 5.

Now, Mayweather's next opponent??? Damn that's a tough one. I only want one person and that's Pacquiao, obviously. Outside of him I am pretty stumped. Maybe Paul Williams, Maybe. I want to see Mayweather fight someone he won't have a BIG advantage over in every aspect. Williams is bigger, 6ft2 and he also has beaten Cintron, Margarito, Sergio Martinez, Winky Wright, Verno Phillips, and Carlos Quintana, all formidable opponents and all naturally bigger than him. This guy has been avoided like the plague and deserves a shot if you ask me. At 39-1 his record is on par with Mayweather's, only losing once by decision. Another interesting aspect of this fight is that Like Pacquiao, Williams is a southpaw. We would get to see how well Mayweather would take to fighting that style against a legit opponent, which might also give us at least SOME better idea of what a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight might look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back