Who Wins This Match?

• Dusty Rhodes

• El Santo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
This is a second round match in the Austin Region, Oklahoma City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

15864v.jpg

dusty-rhodes.jpg.png

#4 Dusty Rhodes

VS.

NdyMpRa4_400x400.jpeg

#13 El Santo

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

The American Dream versus one of the most famous Mexicans ever. Not just wrestlers, but Mexicans, period. This would be an interesting match to see, but I'm thinking I'm leaning towards Dusty here. He had an incredible amount of charisma, and could get the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands, and all of his accomplishments came in spite of not doing a ton in the ring. This will be a close one, as it should be, but right now, I'm leaning toward the polka dots.

I think I am going to go with El Santo. I love Dusty, he gives fat guys hope, but without Santo, Mexican wrestling may not be as popular as it is. He was the definition of an icon. From his titles, to his undefeated record in Luchas de Apuestas matches, to his film roles and TV appearances, to his funeral being one of the most attended events in Mexican history. The dude got his own TV show on Latino Cartoon Network, he was in comic books with Batman in the 60s, he has a statue in his hometown. He is the definition of a legend and as such I think he trumps Dusty here.

Both these guys were symbolic heroes for the common man, and guys like these should hardly ever be placed against each other. If this match had actually happened, they would've wrestled to a draw and we all know it. But since we have to pick a winner here, I'm gonna have to say El Santo. They are both evenly matched, but Dusty was notorious for losing all his big matches on a technicality. I can see something similar happening here.

Santo was and remains one of the most famous professional wrestlers of all time. He transcended wrestling in a manner that Dusty didn't and was able to remain at the top longer. Dusty Rhodes is such an important innovator in professional wrestling, and his influence to the NXT roster was clear to be seen. I think Santo was the bigger star and so edges it, but for once, an early loss for El Santo would not be a cataclysmic result.

Going with Dusty. Reason being is that Dusty was one of very few who was a top draw everywhere he went. And I'm not talking semi main, in his prime he WAS the Main Event.
Santo's accomplishments are amazing but having read and seen a lot about Dusty, his nacre, mannerisms, charisma he was one in a million. 2nd to none.

Nobody ever brought a ladder in the ring designed after Santo. Polka Dot ladder = good times.

I really dont care for Santo. I get that he is a legend in Mexico, but I prefer Dusty in every way. Voting just based on personal preference here.

I'm going straight for the nostalgia.

"First of all, I would like to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Dusty Rhodes, The American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Jim Crockett promotions for waitin’ and takin’ the time ‘cause I know how important it was, Starcade ‘85 it is to the wrestling fans, it is to Jim Crockett promotions, and Dusty Rhodes The American Dream. With that wait, I got what I wanted, Ric Flair the World’s Heavyweight Champion. I don’t have to say a whole lot more about the way I feel about Ric Flair; no respect, no honor. There is no honor amongst thieves in the first place."

"He put hard times on Dusty Rhodes and his family. You don’t know what hard times are daddy. Hard times are when the textile workers around this country are out of work, they got 4 or 5 kids and can’t pay their wages, can’t buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell ‘em to go home. And hard times are when a man has worked at a job for thirty years, thirty years, and they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say “hey a computer took your place, daddy”, that’s hard times! That’s hard times! And Ric Flair you put hard times on this country by takin’ Dusty Rhodes out, that’s hard times. And we all had hard times together, and I admit, I don’t look like the athlete of the day supposed to look. My belly’s just a lil’ big, my heiny’s a lil’ big, but brother, I am bad. And they know I’m bad."

"There were two bad people… One was John Wayne and he’s dead brother, and the other’s right here. Nature Boy Ric Flair, the World’s Heavyweight title belongs to these people. I’mma reach out right now, I want you at home to know my hand is touchin’ your hand for the gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world now, reachin’ out because the love that was given me and this time I will repay you now. Because I will be the next World’s Heavyweight Champion on this hard time blues. Dusty Rhodes tour, ‘85."

"And Ric Flair, Nature Boy… Let me leave you with this. One way to hurt Ric Flair, is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world and that’s the World’s Heavyweight title. I’m gon’ take it, I been there twice. This time when I take it daddy, I’m gon’ take it for you. Let’s gather for it. Don’t let me down now, ‘cause I came back for you, for that man upstairs that died 10-12 years ago and never got the opportunity to see a real World’s Champion. And I’m proud of you, thank god I have you, and I love you. I love you!"

Vote for the man who made you feel. Vote Dusty Rhodes.

Dusty Rhodes had charisma in spades. He could give you goosebumps reading the ingredients off of a carton of Breyer's vanilla ice cream that was made back in his day ("pure cane sugar, cream, vanilla bean"). He was a headliner in every sense of the word. Won the NWA World strap 3 times, The Florida strap 12 times, and titles in every part of the NWA Territory System. He was the Booker for Crockett, Eddie Graham, and Dixie Carter. He also taught Promo Skills in NXT. His place in the pantheon of the greats has long ben cemented.

However, as great as Rhodes was, you would not have Lucha Libre as we know it today without El Santo. As much as Rhodes was a Headliner in most parts of the US, El Santo was GOD in Mexico. He was not just a Luchador, but he was a heroic symbol of the Mexican people, period. His stints in Movies, TV and print media helped to popularize Lucha Libre in Mexico. Though Santo does not have the accomplishments when it comes to titles as Rhodes does, his forays in print media and his 50+ movies helped to define his character as a hero. His death was treated as a National Day of Mourning in Mexico. His legacy was that much loved. ANd, his legacy still lives on in Lucha Libre today.

There is no doubt that many will vote for Rhodes. It would not be a bad choice. However, if you are a true fan of the art of Lucha Libre, there can be only one choice, as there is only one hero here.

Vote for El Santo.

I'm going straight for the nostalgia.

"First of all, I would like to thank the many, many fans throughout this country that wrote cards and letters to Dusty Rhodes, The American Dream, while I was down. Secondly, I want to thank Jim Crockett promotions for waitin’ and takin’ the time ‘cause I know how important it was, Starcade ‘85 it is to the wrestling fans, it is to Jim Crockett promotions, and Dusty Rhodes The American Dream. With that wait, I got what I wanted, Ric Flair the World’s Heavyweight Champion. I don’t have to say a whole lot more about the way I feel about Ric Flair; no respect, no honor. There is no honor amongst thieves in the first place."

"He put hard times on Dusty Rhodes and his family. You don’t know what hard times are daddy. Hard times are when the textile workers around this country are out of work, they got 4 or 5 kids and can’t pay their wages, can’t buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell ‘em to go home. And hard times are when a man has worked at a job for thirty years, thirty years, and they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say “hey a computer took your place, daddy”, that’s hard times! That’s hard times! And Ric Flair you put hard times on this country by takin’ Dusty Rhodes out, that’s hard times. And we all had hard times together, and I admit, I don’t look like the athlete of the day supposed to look. My belly’s just a lil’ big, my heiny’s a lil’ big, but brother, I am bad. And they know I’m bad."

"There were two bad people… One was John Wayne and he’s dead brother, and the other’s right here. Nature Boy Ric Flair, the World’s Heavyweight title belongs to these people. I’mma reach out right now, I want you at home to know my hand is touchin’ your hand for the gathering of the biggest body of people in this country, in this universe, all over the world now, reachin’ out because the love that was given me and this time I will repay you now. Because I will be the next World’s Heavyweight Champion on this hard time blues. Dusty Rhodes tour, ‘85."

"And Ric Flair, Nature Boy… Let me leave you with this. One way to hurt Ric Flair, is to take what he cherishes more than anything in the world and that’s the World’s Heavyweight title. I’m gon’ take it, I been there twice. This time when I take it daddy, I’m gon’ take it for you. Let’s gather for it. Don’t let me down now, ‘cause I came back for you, for that man upstairs that died 10-12 years ago and never got the opportunity to see a real World’s Champion. And I’m proud of you, thank god I have you, and I love you. I love you!"

Aye Aye! Dusty has been the inspiration and rolemodel for many of this generation Wrestlers. That said, considering both the personal lives of El Santo and Dusty Rhodes, the latter had been a continuous inspiration for a whole generation whereas El Santo has made Mexican Wrestling so popular. But still, the victory will be for Dusty Rhodes.

Wow tied at 22!

My written vote for Dusty and I have to say, its coz I like him more. Thats it. One of a kind wrestler, and someone who was just an absolute star.

Even if you think Dusty would win this match, Dusty has made a career of having all his big wins reversed on technicalities. This is exactly what would've happened if he ever took on El Santo. El Santo definitely wins.

This. All of this.

I'm a sucker for emotion in wrestling and while Lucha Libre is fine and dandy, I can't really think of any luchador that I've been personally attached to on a level any deeper than just liking their gimmick or their in-ring work.

As NXT continues to blossom, Dusty's legacy lives on through many of the superstars we've all grown to love on a deeper than the surface level as we've watched them evolve into main roster WWE talents. You hear just about every one of them give credit to Dusty for helping them to mold, or in some cases, refine their characters to better connect with the audience.

There won't ever be many better storytellers than Dusty Rhodes in pro wrestling, I'm just glad we still get to see the results of his influence on his "NXT kids" for years to come.

Long live The Dream!

I knew this would be close, but damn...seeing it 27-27 is both nerve-racking and exciting at the same time. These guys deserve for it to be voted closely, and the fact it's so close should leanit towards Dusty's favor, should it not?

As the underdog against Flair, we got that amazing Hard Times speech, and the crowd was in the palm of his hand. Same thing happens here, and Dusty picks up the win after an elbow.

As the underdog against Flair, we got that amazing Hard Times speech, and the crowd was in the palm of his hand. Same thing happens here, and Dusty picks up the win after an elbow.

He didn't win the match after the hard times speech though did he?

Dusty is a fantastic figure in wrestling history, but he's a little out of his depth here. Santo is the biggest star in all of Mexican history. Dusty's true prime was in the Florida territory days.

This match, however, will be held in Austin freaking Texas. That's pretty close to the border of a little country I like to call Mexico. Basically Dusty's only shot in the match is if he's working as the underdog face, but here, the crowd will be HEAVILY for El Santo so they won't be helping Dusty will his way to victory. He'd be the de facto heel. As he was wont to do for most of his career, The American Dream puts up a hellacious fight and is bloodied to all hell by the end, but he comes up just short against a man who is a true hero in his country. Vote El Santo.

He didn't win the match after the hard times speech though did he?

Rhodes won the match, I'm pretty sure that was the first ever "dusty finish" in history but I could be wrong. He pinned Flair but it was a replacement ref that counted the fall so the decision was switched to a DQ victory. Rhodes won the match, not the belt.

Truthfully I'm not much for debating and discussion but I do love reading them every year. I'm only typing this so I'll have a written vote in case of a tie. I voted for El Santo just because I felt he was the right choice. Not a good reason, I don't have any facts to back up why I voted this way but I certainly will not be disappointed if Dusty wins this one. I just feel The Saint would beat the Son of a Plumber here.

For me, Its Dusty Rhodes all the way.

Yeah, El Santo was good. No doubt about it but I was personally much more connected to Dusty Rhodes. He didn't had good physique but good mic-skills and in-ring work made me like him more and more.

So American Dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back