"Breast" in the World

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
After watching the fourth episode of Total Divas I came to the realization that WWE superstars do try and augment their appearance to become more marketable to the WWE Universe. This was exemplified by the fact last night that Ariane wanted to get breast implants in order to appeal to a bigger demographic but there's more on this later...However the episode features the concept of changing attire for more marketability and changing looks (weight) to get ahead in the WWE. Now whilst this all seems like a recap of yesterday's episode that's not the point of this thread.

My reason for making this thread is to ask you do you realize the changes the WWE Superstars make to their appearance each week and do you truly believe it helps them get over?

I think the answer to this is that it depends on the situation at hand. Take for example Kingston coming out in long pants. Did everyone notice them? Yes they did. Did this amplify his appeal with the WWE audience. I'd most certainly say No. But then you get someone like Alberto Del Rio who constantly changes his wrestling trunks and I think it's totally ineffective to aiding his character. It's slightly interesting to see the changes but often times I don't feel like it helps add to character.

I think every week we typically see someone slightly change how they look. And it makes sense change is viewed as good but I personally think I've yet to see anyone make a noticeable altercation to their body that truly brings their character to another level. I made the thread title "Breast in the World" because quite frankly that was the point of yesterday's episode, change your breast to become the best. However I truly don't see how something like this would change how this would greatly effect a character but then again I've been wrong before.

So what's your opinion on the matter? Do the subtle changes characters make really make a difference? Or do the changes simply float away into melancholy and sameness?

I think divas with big boobs are more popular because people like big boobs

Now I wouldn't necessarily agree with this comment. Personally I like the smaller breasted divas as they appear more athletic and physical and more like an actual athlete. Take for example AJ I'd rather watch her than Natalya. Also I'd say that a younger audience might appreciate smaller breasted women. But then again it's all about taste. I'm sure different demographics would say different things about looks.

For all intents and purposes to keep this thread from spiraling out of control I'd be willing to argue that it wouldn't be a huge difference if a slight augmentation to the breast occurred to Ariane which is the point of this entire thread.

It's really hard to give a broadened answer...

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
For example, as mentioned, Kofi Kingston recently changed over to long pants. It gave me a few seconds of checking out the new gear, but ultimately nothing else.

When Dolph Ziggler first switched over to Raw, he cut his hair and ditched the bleach blonde look, and I had no idea who he was until he was announced.

It really depends on who it is and what they're changing.

I do notice that most of the time. Alot of these guys change either the color on their attire or just the attire just for show. You don't really see any personality changes that go along with the visual change. Kofi returned with long tights, but it's still the same Kofi Kingston that he's always been. He only made a meaningless change. I believe that if someone is going to change their appearance, at least change your personality or attitude to stay relevant and fresh. Guys like Jericho and Undertaker were great at things like this.

While I do find the matters discussed to be real issues, I think a BIG part in the total divas storyline was just that... a story. I think they were trying to gain attention. and its working. so far total divas has had a great run. I personally enjoy it (no shame)... i find it ENTERTAINING which is what the E is going for.

I would have to disagree.... Undertakers American Bad Ass change worked. Also what about Cody Rhodes and Daniel Bryan growing a mustache and a beard.. I think it helped the characters a bit for the time being...

While I do find the matters discussed to be real issues, I think a BIG part in the total divas storyline was just that... a story.
Believe me I totally agree with you. It was mostly a story that happened on Total Divas which reminds me I still need to type up my review in the discussion thread, but I think at the same time there are elements or ideas presented in the episode which are probably legitimate. I'm fairly certain there are several WWE stars who have thought "how can I change to better how I'm recieved" I think a good example of this is Tensai/ Sweet T. When he debuted he didn't look really all that fit. Now he still doesn't look as fit as some others but I can't help but notice last week that his arms had more definition. It didn't add anything but I'd guarentee he made the choice to make a slight change and it wasn't just a WWE change.

I think they were trying to gain attention. and its working.

I'll discuss this in the Total Divas thread more in depth but this episode felt more "real" than last episodes and I think it was becuse they dealt with an issue which at some point I think every WWE fan has thought that the superstars go through but haven't cared to pursue this inquiry. I think yesterday we got that.

so far total divas has had a great run. I personally enjoy it (no shame)... i find it ENTERTAINING which is what the E is going for.

No need to defend it to the guy rocking a diva supporter signature. But in fairness I totally agree and would be happy to discuss it with you in the other thread.

I think looks do help at times. For example, prior to the Ministry of Darkness, Undertaker's look wasn't anything too amazing, but then it switched to those bad ass coats and shit, and his stock went way up in my eight year old mind. Now, that might take away from it, but consider that children are being targeted more now than the attitude era.

As for how attire changes help in the eyes of adults, I can't really say. I don't tend to notice stuff like that anymore, but I'm not exactly normal. If adults notice, fantastic. If not, then it probably still helps that children do. Basically, unless it's done really badly, it tends to be a plus. For example, Triple H and Taker both deciding they have something against hair. It's a striking change, but after seeing them with long hair for years and years (Bikertaker not withstanding), it just seems off.

I would have to disagree.... Undertakers American Bad Ass change worked. Also what about Cody Rhodes and Daniel Bryan growing a mustache and a beard.. I think it helped the characters a bit for the time being...

True but also mentioned in this thread is how a change in appearance needs to be coupled by a change in attitude. Both Bryan and Taker had a character change along with their personal change. And whilst I agree this "contradicts" my point in essence, I was more referring to the less drastic changes. And with that I don't feel like small minor changes really affect a character. I totally agree that in order for an appearance change to work you need a change in character.

Now I know I intentionally didn't mention Rhodes in my above paragraph because I think that's a special case. Sure his moustache helped get him over a bit more and created chants supporting it. But I think in a really bizarre way the fans don't care more about Cody because of his stache I think the stache has become a seperate entity which was being praised....

Until he shaved it....

I don't know if I don't realize the changes wrestlers make because if they did make a change and I don't realize it I didn't know they made the change.

But yes, appearance matters. How much it matters depends on the change and the person. Wrestling is mostly a visual product. Implants have helped/enhanced/changed certain Diva's careers. I would argue that Chyna, Lita, and Stephanie made the company more money by enhancing their breasts. I'm surprised Cameron ever got hired by WWE in the first place. A fuller rack may help her last a little bit longer (where is Alicia Fox?). Who knows if Rosa Mendez, Maryse, or even Trish ever get hired if they couldn't fill out a tight top as well as they do (same goes for the men).

It basically boils down to the fact that WWE wants the Divas to have sex appeal, and too many of today's Divas are talentless models (*cough* the Bellas) who use their looks to hide their lack of ring skills. They learned during the Attitude Era that sex sells, and that's why they made Sable the cornerstone of the women's division, even though she was far and away the least talented woman they had.

Looks matter in wrestling, period. The girls are no different to the guys, your look as a pro wrestler is 50% of the package. A guy like Chris Masters was getting pushed to the moon, even though he displays an incredible lack of in-ring skill compared to the likes of a Daniel Bryan. His entire gimmick was his look! He may be a special case, but it's evident that Vince McMahon sees more money in a 6'5" guy with muscles upon muscles, than a smaller guy who can go in the ring.

As has been mentioned before, WWE Brass wants the WWE Universe to want to watch the Divas division, and it is undeniable that sex sells in every industry, but especially a visual product like pro wrestling. The girls know this, and to them a $10,000 investment in a pair of new tits to transform their image into a more appealing one is a good thing.

I really don't think it helps or hurts the divas.I think it personality and ability,cse in point,Brooke Hogan.Not a bad looking gal but her on screen personality went over like a lead balloon.It is that " IT " they talk about that gets people over.

Getting over is marketing. Everything about your look has to be your character. Everything about the moves you do, the way you sell, the way you celebrate should all scream whatever the essence of your character is. Boobs with divas are a part of that. Is Wonder Woman drawn with "athletic smaller boobs"? No, she's drawn with huge knockers.

I think divas with big boobs are more popular because people like big boobs

Correct. Because big boobs(or at the very least, nice ones) are fucking awesome. Lest we forget, the entire concept behind wrestlers for a long time has been "real life comic book characters"....For all of you comic fans out there, its relatable that the girls would follow suit to match that in the way the guys do, suited to their sex and the direction one would take to attain that comic book appearance.

As far as just the look in general, of course it makes a difference. Ortons sleeve tattoos were instantly noticeable, and changed a lot about his character, or at least emphasized it....For one example. EVery little change about a guy that may cacth on or draw attention certainley matters.

Reactions: gd
Jeff Hardy isn't great on the mic, but he has one of the most interesting looks out there and he's over as shit. He just looks cooler than he would in standard black trunks and kneepads, not to mention merch sales (his armsleeves, Punk's wrist taping, the Wyatt goat mask, Mysterio's masks) can't hurt to get a guy a push.

As any hot-blooded man, I enjoy a good pair of breasts as much as the next guy. I mean, I would never recommend that a girl get a boob job just so that she can advance professionally (as opposed to wanting it for her self-esteem), but such a huge percentage of the female wrestlers had it done, getting a boob job now would only be levelling the playing field.

Breast implants are like steroids, but for the ladies ;)

Appearance in and out of the ring DEFINITELY is important in Pro Wrestling and it IS important to change it up now and then regardless if some people 'don't care'.

As someone stated before, Jeff Hardy is a guy who would not be as popular if he was just in black trunks and knee pads. He'd still be kind of popular but his character wouldn't really make sense anyway if he was just in trunks.

Take The Shield as another example. Those characters would simple not work at all if they were just in trunks.

I wish more Superstars would change up their look more often. Even if it's just switching from trunks to long pants like Kofi Kingston or Zack Ryder. It DOES make people notice. It might even win over some supporters.

To be honest, a guy like Wade Barrett should be wearing long pants in the ring. His character is a tough, bare-knuckles brawler from the mean streets of England... yet he walks around in his underpants in the ring? It just doesn't MATCH. I know it's traditional wrestling gear but it still doesn't match is character.

I could go on and on but the point is appearance matters and changing it up also matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back