Canada & USA Militaries: Who relies on who?

SalvIsWin

Scientific Skeptic
I think there's a common belief among a proportion of Americans that Canadians:
  • Have no military.
  • Do not take part in miltary events.
  • Rely on the United States' military.
I want to challenge all three of these beliefs because I feel they're all misconceptions, and dare I say that America may rely on the Canadian military more than Canada does on the American military.

Skip to the bottom for questions on whether Canada really relies on the USA for it's miltary.

Let's look at the two World Wars, and the latest war in the Middle East:

Canada has no military, and/or doesn't participate.

World War I: 600,000 Canadians serve in World War I and 66,000 were killed - which was .93% of the population. To contrast ~4,500,000 Americans were deployed, 116,000 were killed, which was .13% of the population.

World War II: 1,100,000 Canadians serve in World War II and 45,000 are killed - which was .40% of the population. To contrast ~16,000,000 Americans fought in World War II, and 416,000 die, which was .32% of the population.

Afghanistan War: 155 Canadians have died in Afghanistan. 1,200 Americans have died.

Iraq War: 156 Canadians have died in Iraq. 1,500+ Americans have died.

In the two World Wars, it's clear that Canada did it's fair share, losing a higher proportion of it's population to the cause than did America. In the recent American wars with Afghanistan and Iraq, Canada has lost about 10% the amount of soldiers that the United States has - which is quite a bit considering it was not our war, and that the United States is approx. 9.25 times the population of Canada. I think that handily debunks the myth that Canada has no military, or that Canada does not participate in war efforts.

Canada relies on the United States' military?

I want to hear the rationale for why Canada relies on the United States' military. It's clear that the USA has a larger military, and I agree that the USA would assist Canada if it were ever attacked - but what is the reasoning for saying that Canada relies on the USA?

In my opinion, Canada has contributed to wars that didn't directly involve Canada, namely the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Furthermore, Canada contributed more than it's fair share to wars that affected the entire world (WWI and WWII).

---

In what ways has the USA assisted Canada in a conflict in which they were not also directly affected? In what way could you make the statement that Canada relies on the US, when it is the US that has benefited from the North American protection agreement? Couldn't the argument actually be made that the USA has been benefiting from this agreement and not the Canadians?

For one Canada was forced to join WWI because of a treaty with the British. (we weren't completely independant untill WWII era.)

The USA in the cases of the aforementioned wars only declared war when they were attacked. The sinking of the Lustania and encroachment of German subs in American waters for WW1. Pearl Harbour for WWII. Sept 11 for the other 2. But the Americans were the primary assist for Canada during the Cold War. Sure nothing happened but the Americans were behind the DEW line.

Currently Canada has advisors from the US military if that is reliance, though we also have advisors from our own nation among others. As you said if we get invaded (which is a possiblity from this arctic BS) we would definatly need the US as they have helicopters that can reliably fly and subs that don't leak amoung other military nessescities. Since our military barely gets funding in comparison that is a ally we need to have.

Sure the argument could be made that the USA is benefiting from the NAP, they are making money. The Long Range Missile Defence Plan was denied for that reason.

In truth, Canada and America do rely on one another. However, America has been involved in more wars simply because they have been forced to or felt obligated in some form of fashion. Canada, then either being loyal or being forced to with past agreements, has joined in. It's not so much due to reliance, as it is to Canada simply being an ally.

In wars that involve more than two countries, obviously certain countries will rely on one of the others. However, it's not as simple as it would seem. It's working together more than anything.

For one Canada was forced to join WWI because of a treaty with the British. (we weren't completely independant untill WWII era.)

The USA in the cases of the aforementioned wars only declared war when they were attacked. The sinking of the Lustania and encroachment of German subs in American waters for WW1. Pearl Harbour for WWII. Sept 11 for the other 2. But the Americans were the primary assist for Canada during the Cold War. Sure nothing happened but the Americans were behind the DEW line.

Currently Canada has advisors from the US military if that is reliance, though we also have advisors from our own nation among others. As you said if we get invaded (which is a possiblity from this arctic BS) we would definatly need the US as they have helicopters that can reliably fly and subs that don't leak amoung other military nessescities. Since our military barely gets funding in comparison that is a ally we need to have.

Sure the argument could be made that the USA is benefiting from the NAP, they are making money. The Long Range Missile Defence Plan was denied for that reason.

In truth, Canada and America do rely on one another. However, America has been involved in more wars simply because they have been forced to or felt obligated in some form of fashion. Canada, then either being loyal or being forced to with past agreements, has joined in. It's not so much due to reliance, as it is to Canada simply being an ally.

In wars that involve more than two countries, obviously certain countries will rely on one of the others. However, it's not as simple as it would seem. It's working together more than anything.

I agree with what you're both saying, and I do think the USA is a good ally to Canada. What I'm trying to address is the myth that Canada hasn't fought it's share of wars, or that Canada hasn't been a good military ally to the United States.

I can honestly say that, as an American, I have never heard another person say that Canada doesn't have a military, doesn't do its fair share in wars, or that it relies on America's military. And this is coming from somebody who lived near a major US Air Force base for almost 20 years, where I went to school with a bunch of military families' kids. I don't know where you are getting this idea that it is a stereotype in America but for the most part, it's not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back