Did They Drop The Ball?

The Wolf

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was wondering in 2004 we had WrestleMania 20 and one of the matches was Evolution vs Rock & Sock Connection. Then Backlash the following month we had Orton vs Foley in a Hardcore match.

Now I know the whole The Rock wouldn't of done Backlash and I understand that but that is not what I am talking about. What I m talking about is either a WrestleMania moment or a career booster (more the career booster).

I believe that match vs match Orton vs Foley was a much better match and career booster for Orton. Till Backlash alot of people felt Orton didn't deserve to be IC Champion and he only was cause Evolution always "saved" him. I look at it that the hardcore match straight up win at WM 20 would of done alot more for Orton and given us WM moments.

It also would of made more sense to me for Foley to call in a favor from The Rock. From WWE point of view why not have The Rock return for a short couple moth stint to help Foley.

I agree with you. The problem is the WWE feels the need to get Dwayne in the mix every six or seven years. Since he graced us with his presence, it had to happen at wrestlemania. The match was nothing special then Dwayne rode off into the sunset for another seven years. The backlash match should have happened at mania. It would have made for a much better wrestlemania moment. Dwayne's appearance in the match added nothing to it. As for people not buying Orton as IC champ, I disagree. Orton was red hot in 2003. I was waiting for him to get a shot at the belt and he finally did in December where he dominated RVD. Yes, the WWE messed up. However they probably think to this day the right decision was made simply because the almighty rock was in the match.

Yes, the WWE messed up. However they probably think to this day the right decision was made simply because the almighty rock was in the match.

They'd also think they were right because in the end Randy Orton still became the Randy Orton they envisioned.

And since Foley ended up having a Hardcore match with Edge at a future WMainia, they (WWE) probably felt they dropped the ball earlier also.

This is one of those situations that i think doesnt really matter. In the end everything turned out fine. Most of WM20 was a let down in my opinion except Angle/Guerrero and the main event and rocky was purely there to help buyrates a little as opposed to enhance the story. I dont think they were too bothered about creating a WM moment out of that match if im honest.

As for a couple of month stint i dont think rocky would have been up to it at that point. He was pretty focused at that time on becoming a big name movie star and wasnt doing too badly.

So yeah, in my opinion his addition to the match was purely for novelty and i dont think they dropped the ball because Orton/Foley at backlash is still remembered as a great match and one of my faves so i wouldnt have changed anything.

Either way you cut it Orton's a 7 or 9 or 8 time World Champion... He's headlined WM's, and various other PPV's. If Cena wasn't the "IT" guy, Orton would be. A star was born.

that hardcore match involving Foley vs Orton was nothing compared to Edge vs Foley. Flaming table, holy shit balls!

I do not think that going back almost 8 years and discecting one paticular descision grants any relevance to the aspect of a "favor" from The Rock to Foley.

However, I do agree that an Orton-Foley match at WM '04, Would have served Orton better, as it would have given his young, budding carrer a wresleMania "Moment", to have under his belt.

But at that time, WWE was in the mist of it's worst fiscal year (4/03-4/04) since 1997. I can only assume they were trying to keep their heads above water, and needed a match that looked "epic" on paper to ramp up the buyrate for WM. So in that sence no, they did not drop the ball.

As to how WWE is using The Rock, I am sure they are usuing a simular statagy they used with Hogan in his return. That is to limit his exposure rate as to maximize his financial impact at the events he does do. The Rock is running on nastalgia and that runs it's course quickly.

I'm not saying that they are using him in the best way, but I don't disagree with the over-all stategy.

Plain and simple; at the time Rocky deemed himself bigger than all that, he just wouldnt have done it. I dont feel that he or the WWE dropped the ball. On another note, they well and truely messed up Foleys return

I agree with you. The problem is the WWE feels the need to get Dwayne in the mix every six or seven years. Since he graced us with his presence, it had to happen at wrestlemania. The match was nothing special then Dwayne rode off into the sunset for another seven years. The backlash match should have happened at mania. It would have made for a much better wrestlemania moment. Dwayne's appearance in the match added nothing to it. As for people not buying Orton as IC champ, I disagree. Orton was red hot in 2003. I was waiting for him to get a shot at the belt and he finally did in December where he dominated RVD. Yes, the WWE messed up. However they probably think to this day the right decision was made simply because the almighty rock was in the match.

Wow Really? So WM in 2004 was seven years since the last Rock appearance? He first retired in 1997? Also come on man, who are you Phil Brooks? Is it "uber-cool" to call him "Dwayne" on a wrestling board? I don't normally, if ever, act like this. But that pretentious "i'm better than thou" feeling your entire post had made me want to rip my eyes out. The second half about Orton was correct and I agree with, but point out to me where you've called Punk "Phil" and HHH "Paul" and Hogan "Terry" and Undertaker "Mark" and hell Shawn Michaels "Michael Hickenbottom". To pick one out, and one that was picked out by the "hot commodity" CM Punk, seems really lame and irritating.

I really don't see the big deal with them having a 3 on 2 handicap match at WM20 with the Rock.

Most people remembered the Backlash match anyways and it didn't hurt Orton none for winning a hardcore match a month later instead of Wrestlemania 20, the way I look at it is that it was one extra pinfall he was able to get on Mick Foley while Foley was putting him over. It seems likeome people forget that he pinned Foley at WM20 anyways.

Sure his Backlash match was much better but at the same time some of you make it sound like Orton somehow was hurt by not having that match at Wrestlemania and that's not true at all. 5 months later after WM20 he was World champion and got put in a main event feud with HHH, yeah WWE really dropped the ball there.

No one's balls dropped at all. :)

Having Rock at WM in that match probably helped sell more PPVs than a hardcore Foley-Orton match would. Plus Orton-Foley may have stolen the show from the more pertinent matches. Orton's career progression has been appropriate if not too fast as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back