ECW Questions

MrHashasheen

Enjoying Wrestling
Ok, so Extreme Championship Wrestling went bankrupt in 2001, and was bought by then WWF. But what I can't seem to find is the exact date it was bought by WWF and whether or not McMahon acquired all the contracts of ECW's wrestlers. Does anyone here know?

Second Question: Would an ECW-only Invasion of WWF have gone well. With adding guys like Raven, the Dudley Boys and maybe even Shane Douglas from WCW and Heyman as the actual stable leader, would it have went as good as the original Invasion or even better?

Thanks in advance for the assistance and answering. :)

I don't know the actual date ECW was bought except that it was in 2001 and I think Rhyno was the last ECW Champion.

I think it would have been an okay Invasion but not as good as WCW. It would have been better if ECW was it's own seperate entity or group. I think the original plan was to have WCW vs. WWE vs. ECW but not enough ECW Wrestlers wanted to come back or be part of the Invasion. So they just threw ECW with WCW. It was screwed up because if you knew the real story behind the scenes in the 90's ECW fueded with WCW and had heat with WCW not WWE. WWE tried to help ECW and promote ECW. ECW and WWE were actually kind of like partners in real life in that WWE legimately tried to help ECW. I think Vince Mcmahon actually paid a couple of Paul Heymans bills or something from ECW or help pay for ECW. That's the real story. ECW should have joined forces with WWE not WCW.

Ok, so Extreme Championship Wrestling went bankrupt in 2001, and was bought by then WWF. But what I can't seem to find is the exact date it was bought by WWF and whether or not McMahon acquired all the contracts of ECW's wrestlers. Does anyone here know?

ECW went out of business towards the end of March and the beginning of April 2001. Can't seem to remember the exact date I'm afraid, but I remember watching a handheld of the last ECW show on the net somewhere, I'll see if I can't find it again.

To answer your second question, no, the WWE chose not to acquire the contracts of most of the ECW employees. They ended up signing several of their wrestlers to new deals though, most notably Rob Van Dam and Tommy Dreamer among others.

Second Question: Would an ECW-only Invasion of WWF have gone well. With adding guys like Raven, the Dudley Boys and maybe even Shane Douglas from WCW and Heyman as the actual stable leader, would it have went as good as the original Invasion or even better?

Thanks in advance for the assistance and answering. :)

Well there actually already was an ECW invasion of the WWF years before the Invasion angle, ECW had a working relationship with the WWF for many years and the WWF and ECW had already done an "Invasion" angle on Raw in 1997, the angle lasted on and off for several months with Paul Heyman frequently calling into the show and guys like RVD wrestling on Raw frequently as well as Tommy Dreamer and a few others. This all led to a match between Tommy Dreamer and Jerry "The King" Lawler at ECW Hardcore Heaven 1997.

As for whether it would have gone better if ECW had a bigger role in the invasion, maybe, but that's really all just speculation.

An ECW only invasion?? Maybe. It would of panned out a lot better then having the alliance. But not too many people knew of the ECW roster. I mean, they were known by the wrestling community, but not by the Monday Night Wars audience.

Now, a better question would of been, Would ECW lasted longer if it had a monday night show, and added fuel to the fire of the monday night wars. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back