Favorite and Least favorite artists that "changed"?

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
So as it is with anything that goes on in the world, whenever an artist in music changes from what they were known for to something that they've never been known for, there's always the backlash of critiques who will beat down the door of "?? Sold out" while others will say "I don't know, I kind of like this artist now". And my questions are... which artists that have changed their ways do you like most and which do you like the least/hate?

Changes that I like
1. Lady Gaga - Comparing her song "Born this Way" to "Poker Face", there's definitely a significant difference in who Lady Gaga is and who she was. Is she still weird and "sleazy" like people have said? Yes, she is. But now, with her newer sounds or songs, I've actually begun to listen to her more and more. I still hate anything that was on "The Fame" album, but her new album has really gotten me to give a thumbs up.

2. Chris Brown - When he was that crappy R&B singer, I hated Chris Brown's music. I mean yeah I listened to his music when he had a featured artist that I liked, but the fact is that his stuff alone annoyed the crap out of me. Then he went through that "wife beater" incident and out of nowhere he started doing more and more rap songs... and I've got to be honest, I actually like it.

3. Britney Spears - Whatever she does, I'll still love her... and her music. Call me obsessed, but she's just a genius to me.

4. Nicki Minaj - I'm not sure who all here listens to Nicki enough to notice, but compared to when she started getting big to now, she's really started to down play the whole "****ty" routine and has developed more of a serious artist sort of routine. Which is a really great thing because believe it or not, Nicki Minaj is one of the best women rappers I've heard in a while. She's like behind Missy Elliot and Lil' Kim in my opinion, but hey that's just my opinion.

Artist changes that I don't like
1. Linkin Park - When they came out with their original album, they had a sound that was just amazing and fresh to the mainstream audience. They were actually one of the influences for me to listen to more Nu Metal, which would in turn lead me to bands like Korn, Slipknot, and even Limp Bizkit. But then, they get a deal to make music for the Transformer Movies and they just don't sound the same. Now they sound like whining little ******s who won't shut up about whatever it is they're complaining about. Maybe it's just that I'm growing up, but I actually think they suck now.

2. Porcelain Black - Now this one hurts me because I absolutely LOVE Porcelain's writing abilities, and her music under Porcelain and the Tramps was just superbly amazing. She was one of those girls, like Otep, who could really scream but was also one of those that you knew could make from her talent alone... and then she leaves Virgin Records cause they wanted to change her to another Avril rip, which I'm okay with... but then she signs to RedOne and gets changed into a Pre-Fame Lady Gaga clone made for their version of rock. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Porcelain and will continue to support her as much as possible... but her new stuff is just atrocious to me... and that in itself is my support. I don't want her to become a wannabe, I want her to be who she was when I started listening to her. Seriously, compare her song with Lil' Wayne to ANY of her Porcelain and the Tramps songs and you'll hear the difference. I just don't like the new Porcelain's style. Again, I love her writing abilities but her sound and new look is just not for me.

3. Lil' Wayne - Yeah he's got redeemable songs every now and again, but when it comes down to it, Lil' Wayne went from true rap to mainstream Hip Hop faster than anyone I've ever heard... accept maybe MC Hammer. Sure, when he features on other peoples' stuff like DJ Khaled and his new joint with Tech N9ne, he can still hold his own... but compare new Wayne to his stuff from the Carter 2 and you'll truly hear the difference. Maybe it's the fame, or wanting to be different, but I just can't get behind Weezy much anymore.

4. 50 Cent - Another one that kills me. His older stuff was just on point and all up in the mainstream's face like "Yeah, I'm here, so what?". But now, it's like 50 just faded off the map and isn't even trying anymore. I heard that he was looking to mix a bit of dubstep stuff into his new album, and I've to tell you now... I'm a fan of both rap and dubstep, but those two sounds just don't mix at all.

5. Skrillex - Fuck Skrillex... no seriously, Skrillex is just god awful. He's one of the people who literally dropped everything that made him who he was and just changed completely. Not only that, but he's been given credit for something he didn't even do. For the people who think Skrillex invented Dubstep, I want you all to think again. His stuff is some of the worst Dubstep I've heard, and I've heard some terrible stuff. This just goes to show that some people should stick to what they know and not what they think they know.

Anyway, what are yours?

One artist whose change I felt was for the better, and is still probably ongoing, is Radiohead. They started out as basically a pretty good Grunge band with one big song to the massively influential and genre spanning group they are today. Easily one of my favorite bands ever.

A change in sound I've never liked is Green Day's. I loved their early stuff, and still listen to it regularly, but from American Idiot on seems like a lot of crap, except for Holiday. I don't want to accuse them of selling out, because they may really like their recent work, but it sounds like they did.

1. Linkin Park - When they came out with their original album, they had a sound that was just amazing and fresh to the mainstream audience. They were actually one of the influences for me to listen to more Nu Metal, which would in turn lead me to bands like Korn, Slipknot, and even Limp Bizkit. But then, they get a deal to make music for the Transformer Movies and they just don't sound the same. Now they sound like whining little ******s who won't shut up about whatever it is they're complaining about. Maybe it's just that I'm growing up, but I actually think they suck now.

Dude, you really need to replay their latest albums since Hybrid Theory. If anything, their sound has matured and had grown from "Whiny little ******" you believe turned into. Can you honestly tell me that Hybrid Theory or Meteora was no where near as dark or deep as their latest album, A Thousand Suns? I didn't think so. In Minutes to Midnight, their album was so riddled and enriched in anti-war/violence it was insane. If you disagree with me, listen to "What I've Done" "Hands Held High" and "No More Sorrow." And then compare that to the hits from Hybrid Theory and Meteora's "Papercut" "Crawling" and "Somewhere I Belong" Listen to the lyrics, and then come back onto the forums and tell me they now sound like "Whiny little ******s."

Dude, you really need to replay their latest albums since Hybrid Theory. If anything, their sound has matured and had grown from "Whiny little ******" you believe turned into. Can you honestly tell me that Hybrid Theory or Meteora was no where near as dark or deep as their latest album, A Thousand Suns? I didn't think so. In Minutes to Midnight, their album was so riddled and enriched in anti-war/violence it was insane. If you disagree with me, listen to "What I've Done" "Hands Held High" and "No More Sorrow." And then compare that to the hits from Hybrid Theory and Meteora's "Papercut" "Crawling" and "Somewhere I Belong" Listen to the lyrics, and then come back onto the forums and tell me they now sound like "Whiny little ******s."

The point of this thread as I read it was to discuss what bands changes in sounds you liked and disliked. Sure, it's personal preference, so criticize all you like. But understand that it's the preference of the individual. I noticed you didnt list any band changes you like or vice versa-Afraid of criticism, perhaps?;)

Im not, so here goes.

I really liked the old Live. Give me Mental Jewelry or Throwing Copper and Im a happy guy. Not only is the sound different from later albums, but the material is too. I listen to records like Birds of Prey and it sickens me to see a once great band that expressed themselves boldly and loudly turn into a bunch of whiners. I saw them in Jersey before they went soft and they put on an amazing show. Same band-Three years later in Pittsburgh. I was hoping they'ld play their older music, the songs that made them famous. Don't get me wrong-They did. But they stripped the passion down from those to match the weak-ass nature of their newer music. What resulted was a show where the younger crowd was quite pleaased because thye only knew Live from their newer music, and long-time fans who booed the hell out of them. I still proudly listen to Live, but nothing past the Distance to Here. The new age crap they spew on Secret Samaddhi, V, and Birds of Prey can kiss my ass. Here's an example:

Lighting Crashes(Throwing Copper)(1994)

[YOUTUBE]Ke-r2K0ymWc[/YOUTUBE]

A great rock song. Ity builds slowly into an amazing climax that few bands in the mid-nineties could top. Their music always managed to make me think and consider a different perspective. In this case, they were singing about life and death and how love is the connecting force in some ways in both. Next up, we have an example from some of their "newer" music.

What Are We Fighting For(Birds Of Prey)2004

[YOUTUBE]wi7xWRzBw-M[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sorry, but I can't tell if country singery Shelby Lynne or Live lead singer Ed Kowalczyk has the depper voice here! How displeased were the other members of the band with both the lyrical and musical direction the band was going in? They cited it as one of the biggest reasons the band split just a few years later. I don't mind the occasional duet and change of pace, but this is a complete change of direction for a band that I used to note as one of my favorites. It's not as if everything they put out on this CD was bad-The handbook was pretty cool. Otherwise, both the lyrics and the music were garbage, and one of my favorite bands lost its edge and my respect.

Least:
KoRn:

I discovered Korn in 94, when their first album came out, and along with others, created the Nu Metal ''Genre''. They had amazing songs like Divine, and Fake. Even through to the very underrated Take a look in the mirror in 2003. This is one of their best
[youtube]IetaaBPtS6I[/youtube]

BUT...Ever since Head/Brian Welch left, The bands has been down a HUGE downward spiral. They explored things with NIN producer, and took alot of elements from Trent Reznor, Heard on this song, ''Tearjerker'', I could see Reznor singing this, better mind you, but I could see it
[youtube]NQxg5SX0UeI[/youtube]

And then. If they weren't doing that, they are doing the very bad band wagon genre. Dubsteb, one of the worse (In my view) genre's of late.
[youtube]sR-ZBWzxfkI[/youtube]
Is it horrible? Not really. To someone who DOESN'T know KoRN. But to a LONG time fan. This is yet ANOTHER slap in the face.

I will update this with my Most favorite

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back