Favorite Commentator of all time

The easy answer for me would have to be Jim Ross. I just find him very amusing when he's commentating a match. From the moment I first started watching wrestling, J.R. just stood out for some reason. The intensity that he added to his voice when something unexpected happened is great! His catchphrases always get to me... "He's runnin like a scolded dog", "Goofier than a pet 'coon", "Business is about to pick up", "We're about to have ourselves one hell of a slobberknocker here folks" you know, the works! He just shows his love for the business all the time, and that's why I love him.
One particular match that showed my love for him would have to be Mickie James vs. Trish Stratus at Wrestlemania 22. He just talked about Mickie James' state of mind and how she's crazy and whatnot... it was great. At one point, J.R. said "Mickie James makes a vindictive ex-wife look like Oprah... and I know a little something about vindictive ex-wives." Hilarious.

Also, you can just see how great of a commentator Jim Ross is during the match between Kane and Triple H on the June 23, 2003. J.R. just put so added so much intensity and emotion into the match. He was talking about how Kane's mask was part of his indentity. And how he's always avoided letting people see his face. The arguing between J.R. and King throughout the match was just so fun to listen to. Jerry Lawler, after Kane lost, even said, "Come on, Kane! Take off that mask... You know, maybe Kane is just like me. Maybe he's incredibly handsome!" Great.

Coming at number two would be Randy Savage. His voice does it all!

JBL.I loved it when he made fun of Cole.Classic stuff.Of today,I gotta go with J.R.,but whenever Jericho is special guest commentator,or Edge,it's awesome.

You know it's a shame he never got to work alongside Jerry Lawler and J.R. he would fit too perfect. He just didn't fit with the crybaby known as Michael Cole in my opinion. Good choice bro

I would say Bobby "the Brian" Heenan was the greatest color commentator if all time. Probably one of the most quick witted people ever in the WWF and always had and answer and an excuse for the heels. One of my favorite ever was Shawn Michaels vs The British Bulldog and when Shawn untied the turnbuckle and the Brian said "He saw that the turnbuckle was loose and tried to fix it but no matter what he did it was going to come off!!"

I would have to say my favorite was the combination of Monsoon and Jessy. Such great chemistry together as well was monsoons chemistry with Heenan.

I also always liked the team of Tony Schiavani(not real sure of spelling there), and Larry Zybysco. Larry was always witty and entertaining back in WCW.

Gotta represent the original E C Dub and go with Joey Styles on this one. As was said above, he actually knew the names of all of the moves and called 99% of all ECW shows by himself.

Honorable Mentions - The Brain (almost came in at #1), Good Ol' JR, Ventura and heel King.

There have been some really great commentators over the years. I used to love Gordon Solie back in the day. He had a great voice and was so knowledgeable. he was Jim Ross before there was a Jim Ross. I also love Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon together as a team. Monsoon was not the best announcer, but his chemistry was off the hook with Heenan. They were as entertaining to listen to as the matches were to watch.

However, I can say without a doubt that Joey Styles is my all time favorite announcer. he was a one man show in ECW. He has a voice that was mesmorizing to listen to and he used that to keep the attention of the viewers from start to finish by changing pitch and tone. He was so knowledgeable and it clearly came across that he loved wrestling. He was a fan just like everyone else who was watching. You could feel the excitement in his voice as he called the matches. There was nothing like watching a huge bump and hearing Joey scream "Oh my god!!" or seeing Franchine and Buelah pulling out each other's hair to the tune of "Catfight! Catfight!" Joey was really simply amazing.

I am going to split this in 2 parts, my favorite Color Commentator, and my favorite Play by Play man, because the 2 roles are vastly different, and to pick between a color guy and a PBP guy.

My favorite Color Commentator of all time is JBL. JBL was a heel commentator in an era where commentators do not pick sides. However, he would seem to go out of his way to talk up a face wrestler too. I remember him calling a face Matt Hardy (during his match with Gregory Helms at No Mercy 2006) a "Main Event waiting to happen." Every time he called a match, he put over both wrestlers, all the while maintaining his heel character. I do not recall that being a frequent occurrence with other heel Color Commentators.

Not taking anything away from JR (who is the BEST Play by Play man I ever heard), but my favorite Play by Play man is Gorilla Monsoon. The only thing that put Gorilla ahead of JR for me is the fact that I grew up listening to Gorilla Monsoon, and he is doing the Play by Play for the majority of the great wrestling moment that I remember from my childhood. JR has had his share of memorable moments, but nothing (for me) can compare to Gorilla, because I got into wrestling listening to him.

Since Commentators are actually a team, I can in no way single out one single commentator as being the "best". I have to pick a best "Play by Play" commentator, as well as a best "Color" commentator ... or "Analyst" as we refer to them in this day and age.

My favorite Play by Play commentator of all time is Gorilla Monsoon. Gorilla did a great job in providing the perfect blend of humor and focus on in-ring action. He was charming and funny, however was serious when he needed to be. He and Bobby Heenan knew how to cover up a lousy match and still make it entertaining for the audience. I like Jim Ross, however Gorilla Monsoon is simply a cut above him .... and even Ross admits to it.

My favorite Color Commentator of all time is Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. Jesse "The Body" Ventura is a close second. Again, these two are the epitome of Color Commentators. The perfect Antagonist for the Play by Play to provide for a great package for the viewers. You got both points of view, and were entertained all at the same time.

I really wish Vince would go back and watch some tapes to remind him of how good the commentary used to be, unlike this horrible direction he has taken it in these past 2 years. Just beyond awful and terribly, terribly boring. Someone described it as if you are watching "Golf Commentary" and I sadly have to agree ... with there now being the Play by Play and the Analyst. I absolutely can not imagine Vince McMahon going back into the booth and doing the same thing he dictates to his Play by Play Commentators each week, while sitting next to the style of the Analysts which he has created.

I will rank my Top 5 Personal Favorites for each category:

Play by Play

1) Gorilla Monsoon
2) Jim Ross
3) Vince McMahon
4) Michael Cole
5) Joey Styles

Heel Color Commentators

1) Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
2) Jesse "The Body" Ventura
3) Jerry "The King" Lawler
4) Paul Heyman
5) John Bradshaw Layfield

It should come as no surprise that I’m going to choose Bobby the Brain Heenan. He was beyond talented. Nobody ever made me laugh more. Lines like “Tito Santana can’t tag out. Immigration is in the front row.” are classic. He would defend those heels at all times, no matter what. Did you know Nailz served his time in prison because a parking ticket blew off his windshield when he went into a flower shop to buy flowers for his mother? Heenan had chemistry with anyone he worked with. He was good with McMahon and Ross, but of course is best remembered for his work with Monsoon. Heenan was simply brilliant.

Jesse Ventura was also great. He always said he told it like it was. And he really did. It’s interesting to listen to some of the old commentary. Jesse is the heel and always defending the heels, but he is almost always right.

Over the years I’ve heard a lot of people criticize Gorilla Monsoon. I never understood why. Gorilla was awesome. If somebody made a mistake during a match he would call it. He wouldn’t sound stupid trying to cover it up. People make mistakes. We can all see it. It sounds much better to simply say someone missed their move instead of trying to sell it like nothing went wrong. If someone wasn’t executing a move properly Gorilla would say so. He also gave each match meaning. I loved how he always mentioned the purse money. We know there is no real winner’s or loser’s share of the purse, but at least it gave even the least important matches some meaning.

I really enjoy watching some of the old house shows on 24/7. I love listening to Gorilla Monsoon with Bobby Heenan and even Lord Alfred Hayes. The old school guys had a way of making everything interesting whether there was a storyline or not.

Gotta go with JR he is the voice of the WWE hes been their for some of the biggest moments in recent history. He ushered in the Austin Era back in 98 and ended it in 2009 he was their for the end of Ric Flairs carer last year at WM he was the voice of the Attitude Era and cant go past the Undertaker Mankind Hell In A Cell Best JR Match Call Ever

Easy one I got to go with Don West. It's not that he is the best announcer ever in tallent because he deffently isn't. I love West because he is a loose cannon and he is such a fool comentating that it makes it fun to watch. He adds entertaiment by being a moron which is awesome. He is one of the best of all time because he is so horriable. Other then West I have to say "puppies" and King since he was my fav durring the additude era now he has lost allot of respect at least mine anyways.

I have to give my vote to JR. His passion for wrestling shines through and his commentary has made numerous moments all the more special.

I would also like to mention the combinations of Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura as well as Monsoon and Heenan. These were classic face/heel combinations, particularly Jesse's ripping on Hogan and his claim that he was going to come out of retirement to teach him a lesson and Monsoon admonishing Heenan with a "Would you stop!"

Heenan was also comedy gold. One that sticks out is his calling of Hogan/Flair in WCW. He was basically crying as Hogan hulked-up and his "Oh please no, I'll do anything" is classic.

Anyone else want to see Heenan and JR in the commentary box?

No one beats two people in my book...

1) Jim Ross. JR is the easy answer here, but for old schoolers, he's an even easier answer. He called for JCP during its boom period. He also called Bill Watts' UWF promotion and done a helluva job. And during his hiatus from his first stint in the WWF, he commentated Smokey Mountain Wrestling. Which was a breath of fresh air, since that show needed someone besides Les Thatcher to call the action. Bob Caudle did an admirable job, but wasn't committed to it like Ross was at the time.

2) Lance Russell. It was going to be either Gordon Solie or Lance Russell, and I picked Russell because I heard more of him than Solie. Although in listening to matches on Youtube, Solie was great at what he done. However, in Kentucky, I grew up with the old CWA/USWA with Jerry Jarrett, Randy Hales, and Jerry Lawler. The man to make sense of all the commotion going on was Lance Russell. And in my opinion, he should have inducted Jerry Lawler into the WWE HOF. Russell had a way to tell you a story and had a voice that would wake you up.

Nobody put over guys in commentary and hyped the show as much as Vince McMahon. He actually made it sound like the announcers cared about what was going on in front of them. I really think he was part of the reason HBK got over so much was because Vince made him out to be God with the headset on. I've been watching a lot of old matches lately and thats the impression I get looking back on something; when I was younger I didn't get why they would do or say certain things but in professional wrestling there is a reason for everything.

The dean himself, Gordon Solie.
As the best solo commentator, I must agree. However the greatest commentary of all time was provided by Jesse "The Body" Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon. They were more than the genaric good guy/bad guy team. These guys not only provided great commentary on the action but they got into the psychology of pro wrestling. While each man clearly had a different view of what was acceptable, both men felt like they were generally the honest one. Monsoon felt that wrestlers should adhere to the rules, but if someone cheapshots you first then turn around is fair play. Jesse on the other hand showed that he was not for the blatant breaking of rules, but there was nothing wrong with finding loopholes in the rulebook (it ain't cheatin' 'less you get caught).

Between these guys we got a real understanding of the mind set of the face and the heal and not just "I'm for this guy" that we've seen with so many other parings.

Now as for the best commentator in pro wrestling today? I would have to go with... ME, The Boss of Pro Wrestling. :2ar15smilie:

Well... i think J.R has done a good job... but Tazz/Taz is another one of my favorites, cause he has just good commentating in my opinion.. he has been in that ring and won titles, so he knows the experience factor of it. as in ring action goes... i like Matt Striker Too... always singing to Oh Radio.. i think thats funny, but when off the topic of comedy, striker pulls up a good grade, this is how it goes in my opinion

Striker : A-
J.R.: B+
Taz: A+

My favorite has to be Jim Ross. He’s one of few people that can do play by play and color. He really gets into the show and shows a lot of passion for the business. Not that the other commentators don’t, but I just feel he shows it more in his performance.

1st runner up may go to Matt Striker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back