Goldberg - if he came back for 1 year only?

tripleddd

Pre-Show Stalwart
If Bill Goldberg signed again for 1 year with the WWE which included several promos on Raw and Smackdown and included the big 4 PPV events who would you book him with and why assuming he turns up after next years Wrestlemania
For me I would book it like this
PPV Summerslam - John Cena - the face of WWE
PPV Survivor Series - The Undertaker - yes an extra match that year for the dead man
PPV - Royal Rumble - Winner and he chooses SCSA
PPV - Wrestlemania - Stone Cold Steve Austin
Goldberg's character could be cavalier I've come back one last time to prove myself I've beaten Triple H I've beaten The Rock I've beaten Brock Lesnar etc ..
Would make an interesting year - do you not think ?

I would make him job to Gillberg and get him off the screen. Goldberg was bad in WCW and WWE, I don't see the years being very kind to him.

Goldberg would need someone to carry him and none of the names above are good or young enough to carry him. Better guys for him would be Punk, Bryan or Ziggler. They could make Goldberg look good.

Several threads have popped up lately about established superstars making comebacks, but I will say the same thing in all of them: If they aren't making a comeback to put someone else over, someone younger with potential, then I wouldn't care to see them.

Generally when a wrestler comes back after years pass, someone else on the roster will have to go sit back on the bleachers and wait. It's really unfair for WWE's potential future to have to go back to being unknown just so an oldie can get his spotlight once again. That's no way to run a business.

So I don't care to see Goldberg or any other major superstar who have had their time move back into a slot others have worked their asses to get to who have been there. Not unless it meant making a younger talent shine.

If Goldberg returned, I'd want to see him immediately form a tag team with X-Pac and have them win the titles. Then Goldberg wins the United States belt while X-Pac gains the Intercontinental Championship, and the two ride that wave of momentum before they each score the World Heavyweight Championship and WWE Championship belts, respectively. They then lose their tag belts to Santino and R-Truth before entering into a feud with each other. Through a series of epic matches where each puts one of their singles titles on the line, Goldberg winds up as United States/Intercontinental champ while X-Pac makes history twice when he unifies the WHC and WWE belts, just as was foreshadowed many years ago when he unified the Light-heavyweight and Cruiserweight titles. Then Goldberg loses his remaining titles on the next Smackdown and spends his final few months losing to NXT rookies in their debut matches. For his last appearance he shows up on RAW, challenges HHH to a match, and beats him in seconds with a spear and jackhammer. He exits by flipping off the crowd and swearing into the cameras.

That is how I would like to see Goldberg return. I would also like to get ice cream in the mail.

I wouldn't want to see Goldberg come back just to seem them jerk off his ego.

I'll always say that at a certain age it becomes about putting people over. Jericho and Kane seem to understand that better than anybody.

If Bill Goldberg signed again for 1 year with the WWE which included several promos on Raw and Smackdown and included the big 4 PPV events who would you book him with and why assuming he turns up after next years Wrestlemania
For me I would book it like this
PPV Summerslam - John Cena - the face of WWE
PPV Survivor Series - The Undertaker - yes an extra match that year for the dead man
PPV - Royal Rumble - Winner and he chooses SCSA
PPV - Wrestlemania - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Goldberg's character could be cavalier I've come back one last time to prove myself I've beaten Triple H I've beaten The Rock I've beaten Brock Lesnar etc ..
Would make an interesting year - do you not think ?

What? Winner of the Royal Rumble gets a shot at the championship and you have him pick a non active wrestler? So essentially he suddenly has booking power because he ultimately says I don't want a title shot. I want Steve Austin and the WWE gives him what he wants why?

I wouldn't book him and if this awful idea of him being in the company for a year ever came to pass I would hate it with every fiber of my being.

is this post for real??? Goldberg returned for 1 year.....10 years ago, waiting for both Austin and Rock to be both pretty nmuch finsihed up with the company before signing. His 12 months was rubbish, still could not work a passable match. He demanded as part of signing with WWE a Championship run...what a farce that feud was. HHH phoned in the entire angle, and took part in it wio\th a badly injured groin(anybody remember tha gharish tights look HHH had at the time). Goldbergs only Mania match was a disgrace. He was washed up and of no use in 2003-2004, he would be absolutely WORTHLESS 2013-2014, unless he returned to put over current stars. Wont happenm, Goldberg believes he is his gimmick, yet when it has come down to it, guys like Jericho have looked after him backstage. NO NO NO to Goldberg ever setting foot in a WWE ring again

Goldberg is one step too far in the "returns" stakes for WWE to risk.

They have got Warrior now on the hook, Hogan is probably on his way. That's 2 major Mania 30 spots gone for their current roster. If Rock and Taker are back, much less Austin then you are running serious risks of Talent deciding it isn't worth it...particularly guys like Punk who has been waiting for his chance to headline Mania proper.

Vince/Trips et al have a real dilemma at Mania 30 - cram it with every legend they can for one final hurrah or as they did at 10 and 20 focus on the new generation talent with cameos by older stars. 10 and 20 worked well, so changing it up for 30 is messing with the cycle that has worked well for 30 years.

Don't get the cycle? Look at this:-

WM1 - New main eventers established with Celebrity involvement in a grudge feud (Hogan, T, Piper)
WM5 - Dream Match - Hogan v Savage

WM8 Hogan vs Sid - Veteran Talent vs Young Star intended to replace him
WM8 Savage vs Flair - Veteran beats New Main Eventer who hasn't worked out as planned.
WM 10 - Launch of new main eventers for next few years with Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels taking prominent roles.
WM11 - New main eventers in grudge feud with celebrity involvment (Diesel v Shawn with Pam Anderson & LT vs Bam Bam)
WM15 - Dream Match - Rock v Austin
WM18 Hogan v Rock - Veteran vs Young Star intended to replace him.
WM18 Trips v Jericho - as with Savage/Flair.
WM20 - As with 10 but Eddie and Benoit (how it turned out is immaterial)
WM21 - New Main Eventers given title in Grudge feuds (Cena and Batista) and Celebrity involvment (Akebono)
WM25 - Dream Match - Shawn v Taker & Trips v Orton
WM28 - Rock vs Cena - Veteran vs Young Star intended to replace him
WM28 - Jericho v Punk - Veteran puts over young star.
WM28 - Sheamus v Bryan - Champion who hadn't worked out replaced as with WM8 and 18.

The pattern is there and it's probably why WWE has made Mania stick for so many years. You know at the start of the cycle you get the new guys beating the old, building up to a crecendo in the middle of the decade, when the focus shifts to finding the next guys to move into the positions. By the 8th year someone will have failed before they finally settle on someone for the turn of the new decade.

Where WWE has struggled this time is settling on someone for the next cycle...it may be Punk, Bryan, they may stick with Cena they may suddenly elevate someone with the Rumble... but to flood the card with veterans this time would be a risky strategy especially like Goldberg who'se rep is the shits with most of the guys.

How would the younger guys respect him, knowing Chris beat him? They wouldn't so you'd end up with another fight and someone getting hurt. If he had a year and agreed, like Lesnar to drop his first 2 or 3 matches then he might be able to put someone like Barrett over effectively but he won't do that - he'd want the title and it would be as bad as last time or they'd force the Ryback match and it be awful.

Warrior sure, give him a 3 minute squash over Big Show or have Barrett beat him... Hogan, hmm if we must have one more match have him put Cena over so we at least get one "dream match" out the way. But Goldberg is one too far... he would serve no purpose, bring no benefit nor create anything memorable or help those talents get over... if a Barrett or Ziggler beat him "well he didn't wrestle for 10 years, what do you expect?" would be all it would get from most fans.

IF Goldberg was to return after all this time i think the only thing that would happen is he would get a big pop for his first show and then interest would drop because you have to think that say 60% of the WWE audience is say 12 and under so that wipes out a lot of fans who would know who he is.

Then you have the older fans who know who Goldberg is either from his first WWE run which was shite or the ones who knew the "proper" Goldberg and for these fans he should stay as he was a monster face who tore through WCW.

I wouldn't want to see him return even though when he was in WCW i was a major Goldberg mark who watched Nitro on TNT here in the UK and remember the good old days. Either way if he was to come back it would turn out a disaster.

One year only?......done & dusted.

He came to WWE for one year in 2003 and, apparently, detested every minute of it. Only Bill himself could explain why. If he wanted massive TV exposure, he got it. If he insisted on winning the world title, he got it. If he wanted huge amounts of money, I presume he got that, too. If he didn't like the way he was used, I imagine many performers feel the same way about their own careers.

Yet, he hated it and left as soon as the contract expired.

Now, it's 10 years later. If WWE doesn't mind getting burned twice, they should try to bring him back. Fool me once, shame on Goldberg. Fool me twice, shame on Vince.

I wish Goldberg can come back with his old self, but Goldberg is 46 and he has shrunk too much to be believable as a threat.

I wish Goldberg can come back with his old self, but Goldberg is 46 and he has shrunk too much to be believable as a threat.

People forget this. He might be in great shape for a guy that is 46, but he doesn't look anything like the man he used to be. Goldberg was a shitty wrestler even during his prime and he couldn't talk either. His whole magic was the fact that he looked like he could destroy anybody and then he'd ALWAYS win in short convincing, squash matches. Once he got beat, he lost the magic but at least still had the look to get the pop from the fans.

Now 10 years since his WWE stint, a lot of the fans now don't know who he is and the ones that do are going to be disappointed with what they see. Sometimes, it's better to just leave things to memory.

Here is a stat for you, only 5 men have ever beaten Goldberg in singles competition (HHH, Nash, Bret Hart, Booker T and Steiner) and Goldberg has NEVER lost clean to an opponent before... Now, why would someone who has never taken a clean loss in his career comeback other than to win? Unless he comes along and beats Punk, Lesnar and Cena (people who won't be hurt by losing) then there is no point in him coming back and squashing the roster and not putting talent over.

If Goldberg were to come back, he could do whatever he wanted, but at some point he would HAVE to put Ryback over. That would be a must, in a brutal (level of physicality) 15-20 minute match, probably last man standing, or loser leaves WWE match, in hopes to end the comparison once and for all between the two.

Or hell maybe he'd Mentor Ryback. Pass on the Jackhammer to him so he could use it instead of the Shell shock. Who knows? But if he comes back, he's gotta do something to put Ryback over.

I would make him job to Gillberg and get him off the screen. Goldberg was bad in WCW and WWE, I don't see the years being very kind to him.

Goldberg would need someone to carry him and none of the names above are good or young enough to carry him. Better guys for him would be Punk, Bryan or Ziggler. They could make Goldberg look good.

um no goldberg was not bad in wcw next to andre the giants 15 year undefeated streak goldbergs streak is 2nd best yes better then takers mania streak i would love to see goldberg fued with ryback cm punk mark henry shield and the wyatt family maybe a heel goldberg vs daniel bryan

The problem with Goldberg is unless he just beats everyone in 2 mins then he has no gimmick... It doesn't make business sense to do that and once he did lose in WCW the gimmick was dead.
People wanted the same in WWE but it just buries everyone else and he ended up getting found out... No point him coming back as he has nothing to add to the product.

I'm not desperate to see a Goldberg return. He was great in his prime but I'm sceptical about if he can still work. Moreover, there are only so many dream matches and young superstars to put over meaning an entire year would just become boring/pointless. I would much rather see Goldberg work the big 3:

Royal Rumble, if done as a surprise this would be incredible. After the ten count we see a knock on the door and Goldberg walks out, fuck yes. He gets to the ring, hits his finishers/signature moves and gets eliminated. Yes, Yes, Yes

Wrestlemaina - While I don't want to see it, I do understand the appeal of a Goldberg/Taker match. That being said I would actually prefer him vs Ryback and giving Ryback the win would be great for his career.

SummerSlam; I'm not sure for this but I do like him facing John Cena. That has potential to be a great, powerful match that would be quite interesting. Other than that maybe a multi-man match or even Roman Reigns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back