iMPACT, Revamp? or Take on Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiralHands

Hardcore Revolutionist
So I was thinking weve seen iMPACT on Spike TV for some time now since 05 I think, and I was wondering on what peoples opinions are on watching iMPACT, not for the wrestling or storylines, but the actual production side. When Eric Bischoff took over WCW one of the things he did was to make the production side look as good as it can, as he knew that he couldnt compete with WWE. Is this what TNA should do? Should they revamp the iMPACT zone or should they take it on the road and give it a PPV style production? You choose!

I personally would say they should stay where they are even though they make no money on tickets and they have the same fans pretty much everyweek. They should just revamp the iMPACT zone make it brighter and better I personally think its looks rustic and old and when watching WWE no comparission, and I believe at least making production better would give it a better feel. What do you think?

I think TNA should do an IMPACT on the road. I mean the Orlando fans have been spoiled too long with Free IMPACT's and if they did an IMPACT or 2 on the road it would re-energize the wrestlers, and make them work a lil more harder than they are dong now. Not saying they are lazy but when u work in a different arena you see they give it more than normal.

i wouldnt mind seein impact being taken on the road but orlando is kind of their territory sorta speak, i do agree with the orlando fans being spoiled since it is there week after week

i think it boils down to whether tna can afford to go on the road with impact but if not then i definitly think they need a revamp in the impact zone, it feels a lil old and rusty

i think they should get rid of one of the ramp.s and make more seating so more people would be able to see the show also yeah gat a new set so it look,s updated as well if they do that i think they could charge for seating that way

Have you ever been to IMPACT. Belive me its all production, and yes most of the orlando fans seem to care more about being on TV and protecting thier spots on the show. I think they should take it on the road. Getting out to more places would give each show its own feel, instead of the cookie cutter prodution we have now. BTW they hand out sings in the impact zone. For the fans that TNA would draw, each crowd would have its own distinct feel, making the production seem fresher. Right now, each impact looks them same and feels the same. Its almost boring (Cornetts office is behind the face ramp TEE HEE). I hear wonderful things about the house shows, which is why they should take it on the road. They would benifit from it greatly.

My problem with an iMPACT! roadshow is that i have this ominous feeling it would kill the company financially. This seems a little off topic but right now Gas prices are at an all time high, and the "Did you Know" section of werstlezone.com just informed me that the WWE transports almost a million pounds on trucks to each show. I dont care if Vince is a billionaire [he isn't] that has got to hurt the profits. TNA is substantially lower on funds, if they can save money by doing PPV elsewhere and holding iMPACT! in Orlando every week, and charging for their house shows (like they are doing) I think it will be better for them in the long run.

WWE hands out signs too. but you can bring your own

As for the Re-vamp of the iMPACT! zone ("zONE!"???) I like the idea, but i think its a bad time for it. I just recently re-got-into wrestling because of "Smackdown vs. Raw 2007" for the ps2. I turned against the WWE because of "Smackdown vs. Raw 2008" (as well as their being slow and stale) this summer TNA comes out with "TNA iMPACT! the Game"
I predict, that for the time that that game is out, and the current WWE game sucks, they will boost their ratings, but if you go around now changing all the sets, and taking away a ramp here, and changing that color there, people drawn in by the game wont be as acclimated as they could be, you also run the risk of alienating some fans, which they cannot afford to do.
In my mind they need to push hard in WWE territory with house shows and PPVs, do something a lil crazy, like slash prices or bring in their big names if they compete in the same town as a WWE show.

TNA was different when i first saw it. The first time i saw tna was in lte 04. i thought it was dumb. Ever since i saw Cristain Cage on there with their world title, li\\i sterted to become a fan. If he was the good guy or the hell, was still his fan. He's the main reason way a start to wacth TNA n the 1st place.

If it were possible I'd love for them to take Impact on the road. I can't stand the Impact crowd. It's one of the negatives of the show for me.

It seems to vary week to week where it either looks like tourists who have never seen a TNA show in their life, or it's full of smarks that shit on everything and look to chant "fire russo" at every opportunity.

If it were possible I'd love for them to take Impact on the road. I can't stand the Impact crowd. It's one of the negatives of the show for me.

It seems to vary week to week where it either looks like tourists who have never seen a TNA show in their life, or it's full of smarks that shit on everything and look to chant "fire russo" at every opportunity.

yes they do. They also seem really jaded. i was watching last weeks episode and i would of figured that Joe would of gotten a huge pop when he came out to address the crowd, but it seemed like a real HO HUM response. i think the impact crowd has gotten stale. Lets face it, the best WWE shows are the ones when you have a super hot crowd (like any show in Canada). When you have an excited crowd getting into the show, it simply makes the show more exciting. there are wrestling fans all over the country that are begging for an alternative to the mainstream product, and the best way to get the product out there is to get on the road.

i do think it is a good year or two away from them doing this. They are on the right path by doing a lot more house shows, and taking some PPVs on the road, to test the water and see what markets they do the best in. I say in NO LESS than two years they should take thier main show on the road, and maybe continue to tape a secondary show at the impact zone.

I would love for them to drop the second ramp on IMPACT and have a look at making the set look less....amateur.

Does it remind anyone else of the old WCW Thunder set?

Also..Yeah taking it on the road would rape the company of funds and i dont think they could make it back very easily even if they were charging for the shows and merch sales increased.

One way they may have pulled the whole thing off would be if they still had a 4 sided ring they wouldnt have to transport rings about, they could borrow them off local feds. and if they didnt have two ramps/entrances or if they didnt have such a deep/wide set piece. But alas transporting all that would kill em.

Personally (sorry to bring up wcw again) i liked the Nitro set. One huge screen and an entrance ramp and whole for the wrestlers. I think it was used 1999 to 2001 ish...

I have to admit that I am a regular fan inside the Impact Zone. I do not attend every show however, I attend as often as my schedule allows. Or as often as I feel like taking in a show! First off, most fans inside the Impact Zone do not get free admission. I know what the website says, it is bogus. Most fans inside the Impact Zone are ticket holders and annual pass holders. After relocating back to Florida in May, I decided to attend some shows thinking free admission. I found the "Free" admission area near the Blue Man Group. On three occasions, my family and a large line of people were turned away by Universal employees. I spoke to one employee who informed me that the paying customers get admission first. If there's room left over in the studio, a small group of people from this line - first come, first served - will get admission but not all the people will make it. That was only if there was room available after the paying customers were seated. So, don't believe the hype on free admission. I was actually in the front of the line on the last time that I was turned away! Each time that I went and stood in the free line- only to get turned away - cost me $16 for parking. So, there is nothing free there. I spent $48 in parking and saw no wrestling at all! Regardless of the hyped free admission, you have to pay for parking - which is nominal. So, after three times of being turned away, I broke down and bought an annual pass to Universal Studios for five people in my family. These passes cost $200 a year. I have no interest in theme parks so, my family pays $1000 a year to see TNA plus $5 each time for upgraded parking. So, believe me - there is nothing in life that is free - including TNA wrestling.
As for the tourists in the crowd, there are alot. This is a good thing for TNA. Whether you are VIP or regular admission, you stand in line for hours...baking in the heat and sun. That could account for a dead crowd at times, heat stroke! Anyhow, I take the time to talk to people standing in line. Most people will tell you that they have seen a WWE match but never TNA. Most people know some of the wrestlers and ask what to expect. There are a handful of people that have no clue at all. I have exchanged email addresses with people in line after talking for hours with them. Most people that I have kept in touch with from overseas has kept up with the program after seeing it in the Impact Zone. Look at the ratings in Europe and Australia! So, exposing the product to new consumers from all over the world at once is a great thing for TNA. One thing that most tourists like about the Impact Zone is that there is not a bad seat in the place and they are close to the ring. The close interaction with the wrestlers and other performers really appeal to them. After all, most casual wrestling fans going to WWE get nose bleed seats where the performers look like ants. Another point on the tourists is that most don't know that they can yell, jump up down or get crazy. They sit there like they are watching Shrek because they fear if they get rowdy, they might get in trouble. I share with them that they can get loud and rowdy. They often do when sitting near my family! I don't do things to disrupt the show however, I try to get the fans around me to get more involved and interactive. It looks better when you see it on television.
As for the regulars only wanting to get on television and not caring about the product, I stand in line with them and can tell you that is not the case. Most of them are very passionate about TNA. It is scary how passionate some can be! Yes, they like to be on television and jockey for "their" spots on the floor and in the bleachers. However, they are the first to purchase merchandise, make my space pages, hitt he website and share the news with others. They are usually the first to stalk the wrestlers at bars and hotels too. I refuse to partake of that! But, whatever makes them happy and helps the show go on - that is great.
As for Joe as champion, I was in the studio and will tell you that he had a great crowd response. The crowd gave him a nice pop. You lose alot in editting when you watch the television program. He had signs in the crowd. I noticed that alot of the atmosphere was lost in editting the show. You know who had a huge pop that was editted out? Petey Williams! That match was fabulous in person. The crowd reaction was good for Petey winning the belt since he did such a great job. That was all editted out. Petey stole the show and that was one of the best live matches that I had seen in a long time from TNA. It was lost in translation when I watched the replay on Thurs. There are things that happen in the matches that cannot be explained when you are watching live. The live crowd usually does not see the promos or hear the announcers expect for the ring annoucers. So, sometimes we are confused as to what is happening in the ring until we watch the show on Thursday and see the promos.
Lately, the Impact Zone has been playing loud music in the background in between matches. They have people in the ring that are talking. The crowd cannot hear anything that the person in the ring is saying. We grab a few words here and there. It is annoying to listen to loud, dance music. Alot of people in the bleachers were complaining about not hearing the ring announcers, we couldn't hear Joe talking after he made it to the ring, Matt Morgan's promo, JB - nothing at all due to the loud music. Steiner said on television that Joe's fans were rednecks which would have given him a great heel pop however, we did not hear his words and couldn't respond due to loud music. So, hopefully they will turn down the atmosphere music and let the fans hear the people in the ring. After awhile, the music was just annoying and people were talking about how annoying the music was and missing out on in-ring activity.
Taking the show on the road on a regular basis costs money. It is traveling expenses for the performers. I read someplace and can't confirm how true it is, TNA does not pay the wrestlers for traveling expenses. So, if that is true - I don't see many wrestlers wanting to travel each week with the cost of gasoline, with strict airline security - think about wrestler's props that travel with them. That could become interesting. I read someplace that Jim Cornette does not fly...that could become an issue in traveling for some guys. There is alot to taking a show on the road for production and making it presentable. In my opinion, I don't think that TNA is at that level yet to carry truckloads of production crews and equipment, pyro people and supplies, busloads of performers, etc... eventually - maybe. But, not now.
As for revamping the Impact Zone, I could see that as an option to improve the show. It has an industrial feel to the arena so, making it edgier like the old WSX set could be an option. They have added new lights that shine right into the bleachers and on the ring. I am still seeing spots from that! :) So, they are addressing the lighting issues. The place is not that bad inside. So, it is not something that would need to be addressed immediately. I would prefer to see TNA spend the re-decorating money and traveling money on getting high-quality wrestlers, high-def television, special effects in matches, better entrances for the performers, better creative team members and making the general content of the show better before the re-decoration or travel becomes an issue. So, if I had to make a choice: I would say re-vamp before taking the show on the road. However, my re-vamping would not be just to the studio alone!

Revamping the Studio/arena should probably wait till a few months after the game comes out. The game copies the current look and changing that before the game comes out is a bad idea.

However, i do think they should A. get rid of one entrance and allow for more seats or/and B. Go to Universal Studios in California. Samoa Joe, Sting, Kaz among others are from California, so not all the wrestlers are from the Florida area. Changing the location of the iMPACT zone will greatly up their chances of finding new fans. Los Angeles is a very populated area that is full of people with $$$ and will give them a good opportunity to get a huge west coast following.

I completely agree that TNA needs to step up their production value. It doesn't look as polished as it needs to be, and lots of times you'll hear that they lose audio or you can't hear them fully.

There are a few points though:

1) They will NOT get rid of the six sided ring
2) They are in Orlando due to the cost, not because wrestlers live there. They can't tour until the $ they bring in from touring exceeds the cost of touring. That's why they are starting slow and running house shows. Also, the schedule is a big draw, if they went to a WWE type schedule it would be a bit of a turn off.
3) Different entrances are for heels and faces so I imagine they like that if they started that way (though on the road there's one ramp).
4) Admission if "free" because Universal forbids them to charge for entrance.

I think they need to keep impact in Orlando for a little longer before taking it on the road. They still have to keep costs down as much as possible at this time. While the fanbase is growing, I feel they need to keep things where they are just for right now.

One guy has just said that TNA should move to L.A.
Thats a great idea in principle, but unfortunatly, the way TNA gets a lot of their talent is by letting their guys carry on wrestling other indies aswell. Since most indies are in the East, most of the TNA locker room would be about 35-40% worse off money wise and lead to guys leaving. So I can't see that happening.

Personally I would love to see the Impact Zone revamped. But not until a few months afetr the game at least, because that would simply be daft. I like it when the crowd isn't as lit up. Soft ambient lighting around the zone should be used. Enough for you to see the crowd, but not so much to take your attention away from the ring. They should light the crowd up with soft red and blue lighting. The emphasis should be soley on the ring and ramp.
I think TNA should also take Impact on the road, but only maybe once a month. That would save the added cost of transport, yet it would also keep things fresh on the Impact show if 1 out of every 4 times they were in a different location.
I also agree about taking away one of the ramps.
Surely there must be a bigger studio in the massive Universal Park??? Could TNA not move to this?

They need a completely new look as well as take it on the road, IMO. I really just still can't stand their 6 sided ring and the two different entrances for heels and faces is just ridiculous. It makes TNA look so bad compared to the WWE. They should get a better entrance with a big screen/titontron over the entrance and go back to a regular 4 sided ring. They also need to travel for every impact and air impact live before and after every PPV. If they MUST tape then the only shows that should be taped are the shows in between.

The TNA live audience is a fucking joke and ruins alot of things within TNA. They cheer heels and those dual chants make me sick to my stomach.

However at the same time, being in Orlando week after week is almost heaven for most wrestlers. Not having to travel and only working 10 shows a month is what most wrestlers desire for. I could see the morale affected if they hit the road.

I think taking impact on the road is TNA's best option, simply because it gives them a chance to connect with their fans in other parts of the country, as well as an opportunity to earn some more money in the process by selling some tickets, as opposed to letting fans in for free.

I don't think that TNA can afford to go on the road right now. They simply don't make enough of a profit to be able to do that just yet. What I think they need to do is revamp the Impact Zone. Get rid of one of the entrance ramps, make a new and improved set, and maybe get some new theme music for a few of the wrestlers. The Titles all look good, so there's no need to change those. I also think that they need to drop Don West and get a charismatic heel announcer to take his place. All those things would make TNA a more watchable show, and eventually they would raise enough money to take Impact on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back