March Madness and WWE???

jrcongine

Pre-Show Stalwart
For the sports fans out there March madness is a exciting event and some consider it the best day in sports when it starts. For those who don't know its college basketballs 64 team tourney to crown champ. You probably wondering what this has to do with wwe.

What if the WWE adapted this concept. 64 man tourney have it concide with ncaa tourney. Let each superstar draw a team and represent that team. then get placed in tourney same as the team they pick is.

the winner of the match and the outcome of the actually basketball game somehow dictating who moves on. so wwe doesn't completely control outcome.

maybe i'm crazy or just bored but think this could be a refreshing storyline.

JR mentioned doing The King of the Ring Tournament like this (minus the corresponding team thing i am just talking about a set 64 man tournament where you can make a bracket ahead of time and see who can get the most wins out of your friends) and i thought that was a great idea i could see a lot of people getting behind it as long as most if not all matches were won straight up with no outside interference. I know KOTR is a hot topic around here and most people like one night tourneys and i do to but for this it would be impossible and it would be hard to structure 2 or 3 weeks of the three brands around it but i think it would be fun but at the end of the day would probably produce low ratings.

don't think it could hurt to try and its not like the ratings are soaring so wouldn't jeopardize losing anything. everyone likes a good tournament and could produce matches that stray away from storyline and produce new feuds.

this sounds too gimmicky to me. It wouldnt be a good fit for WWE - it sounds like more of a TNA thing especially since they can bring in japanese wrestlers to fill out the bracket

I like the idea of having a large tournament. I think if a champion gets hurt a large tournament should be used. I think it helps establish credibility as a champion. Rather than the battle royal or hand picked champions. I wish they would bring back KOTR, 1 PPV 1 Tournament. Keep the matches short and fill the card with a ton of stars. Plus if a title was on the like at Survivor Series when The Rock turned corporate. Great event for everyone.

Certainly not if they were going to hold it in March. That is Mania hype month, if you want to try it something new and random, do it in may/june when nothing of interest happens anyway. It is too much like the King of the Ring though, but copying the bball results isn't right, you'd know who wins. Actually, distance themselves from the bball completely, and just have a knockout tournament. So, basically King of the Ring.

ok i like the tournment part but lets say for instance jamie noble drawed george mason couple years ago....no one i mean no one wants to see him be wwe champ so the bball wont work but yea a tourney to be undisputed champion...maybe like 24 or 28 superstars though 64 is a bit too much...and march no dont compete wit that they would lose big....do it in may and june

IT sounds like a great idea, but it needs a great time to do it. Definitely not the first 3 months of the year..having the Royal Rumble, the EC matches and WM, its a little much. I would probably do this on a slower time in the WWE, and the only times I can really think of is after WM (which many could debate, since Backlash is the following month) or right after SummerSlam and right before Survivor Series.

I love the idea of wrestling tournaments, but I think this would be a little bit too much. I would totally take away the part of wrestlers being associated with basketball teams. Especially, like The Pebble said, at this time of the year, when its the Road to Wrestlemania. But a big tournament to crown a champ or even just for the hell of it like KOTR would be great. But it would have to be a lot smaller. Think about it. Every year at the Royal Rumble you have so many jobbers that are just fillers in the match that you know have no shot. True, there are usually a couple of title matches there, but I mean you replace 6 guys from the Royal Rumble with the 6 guys in the championship matches and theres still jobbers left. Now think about taking that Royal Rumble roster and doubling it. Thats what you would get in that tournament. It would be 10 guys that had a shot and probably over half the guys jobbing. A smaller tournament would be pretty cool if you wanna include all of guys on the roster. But you would have to totally disregard all the fueds going on at the time and the championships. A lot of people probably wouldn't like that. If you were gonna incorporate college basketball teams at all, I would say the night of the NCAA Final, 2 guys could face each other representing the teams in the title game. I wouldn't really enjoy that, but if you wanna incorporate it, there you go. But that wouldn't work either, since the night of the Final is the night after WM25. I love WWE but I love college basketball too. And I don't have DVR, so I'm already confused on what to watch :(

There's no way it would work. If the winners of the basketball were the winners of the wrestling, either WWE would have to openly admit on its own programming that wrestling is fake, or there'd be no actual contest at all, and it'd essentially te office sweepstake on TV, which entertaineth me not.

I'd be more in favour for sacking Judgement Day off and replacing it with the finals of King of the Ring. Have the winner get a title shot at some specified date, maybe Summerslam, and go on from there. They could have the preliminary rounds of the tournament which'd have such luminaries as Dolph Ziggler and Goldust in the round of 64 throughout May. I've even got a name for the preliminary tournament, wait for this creative genius, "May Madness".

i know i forgot that whole timing thing with march being road to wrestlemania and that is a big problem, but i have a few more points.

okay i think i might have left out the main point or confused a few people. I'm not saying you have the wrestling winner be the same as the team. so if george mason won automatically makes say jamie noble win his match against a much higher seed say jericho. NO that would be ******ed and take away from any credibility of tournament and wwe.

i was saying have the matches first. like for the first round have a day or week before the games are played, as soon as bracket is filled. Okay so you have the matches decided. then have the acutual b ball game influence the next round. maybe by a points system. like who's team won by the most difference determined next round seeds or say jericho was 3 seed and noble was a 14. jericho wins wrestling match but in b-ball game the 14 seed whips 3's ass. so wwe could have a rule that if a wrestlers team beats other team by more than 10 he automatically advances anyways.

if it wasn't in march think could be great concept. I would throw out the fact that earlier i said wrestlers would randomly draw teams, nahh bad idea. For the month leading up to the tourney it could be great to see guys like trips, orton, hbk, taker all pulling no stops to get one of those #1 seeds. Because in all likely the no.1's would atleast make it to the elite 8, but how cool would it be so see some underdog keep losing his matches to the likes of mark henry, jericho and his team keep upsetting big favorites so the underdog would keep advancing. then there luck would run out as they faced a big #1 or no # 2 seed like undertaker and lose but could really come up with new storylines. IMO LET ME KNOW WHAT YA THINK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back