Moving the crowd intro

mrbooker

Pre-Show Stalwart
Very simple with new stars and new intros , music, etc... I was wondering
what stars people feel has the intro to really get the crowd ready for a match/showdown . Just please leave Bray Wyatt out it is obvious his intro mirrors certain aspect of the undertaker as well as the fan interaction with waving phones.

I'm talking about when you heard goldbergs music hit, or Austin's, even lesser stars, hardy boyz and psycho sid they set the tone before the bell.

Who in today's world does it for you?

Uso's hands down for teams

Singles if done correctly with what is going on TV now Jack Swagger has a huge chance to be that guy if he lets Zeb talk and just acts like a American badass who never backs down and will tap out monsters whether match/showdown. The music is perfect.
And clearly if he sticks with it Roman reigns intro will be huge just because of the uniqueness compared to everyone else walking the aisle.

Goldust/Stardust together.
I'm really enjoying them working together. I know a lot of people think the Stardust gimmick is shit but I think it's effective. When I hear their music I know I'm going to see a match that I enjoy.

Triple H.
I'm not a fan of Triple H nor am I a fan of Motorhead/Lemmy but I think his theme fits him really well. In wrestling it can be hard to find a theme song that fits someone so well and his is the perfect match up.

Divas wise I think AJ's fits her. Plus more often than not I enjoy her segments and matches.

I agree on the Usos. The fan interaction is good and it's nice to see them with a tribute to their heritage.

Before The Shield broke up whenever I heard their music I was quite certain that something awesome was going to go down. Whether they were having a match or they were coming out to cause chaos their music signified that I was about to see something that I would enjoy.

I'd definitely say Roman Reigns and The Usos top the list for crowd interaction before a match.

I'd put Alexander Rusev (for Lana's pre-match banter), Jack Swagger (for the We the People chant) and John Cena.

No.. I won't leave Bray out of it for two very simple parts that you are overlooking/misreading, despite claiming it "mirrors the Taker's entrance" (it doesn't). It couldn't be further away from Taker's entrance, the only similarity is the lights go down.

Why is it important as the new "benchmark" for fan interaction/setting the scene? Well first of all it is the first real use of the "localized intro" since Chris Jericho back in 2000. Where Jericho would walk to the ring running his opponent down, telling the town they will never EEEVER be the same again....

Bray does it slightly differently by referencing the town the show is in with a pre-insert... "Boston, We're Here", "Hartford, We're Here" one little word may change but it immediately energises the crowd. For a gimmick based on a cult leader, this is a very important thing... that his "flock" grows week after week and just one little insert on the screen can do that better than Taker's bells ever did.

Taker's entrance was about spectacle, Bray's is about the character from the lantern down to the rocking chair and Rowan's sheep mask. It's telling you you're not going to be comfortable for the next period of time.

Secondly, the phones. WWE did not invent this, the fans did not invent this, Bray Wyatt/Windham Rotunda did. When he selected the track and started on the main roster he asked some friends and a few fans to try it with the phones in the dark... then a few more cottoned on and now it's as integral to the character as Sister Abigail. If you want to talk about intros that have gotten fans into characters then this is crucial... they're not chanting "Husky Harris" at him any more... even the commentators acknowledge (fed by Vince) that the intro, the song everything has taken on a life of it's own.

Now as to other new characters.

Adam Rose HAD it then they ruined it by changing the song... it was a subtle change but the World Goes Wild tune was more fitting. Being cheap on ring music which WWE is clearly doing right now doesn't help characters. Jim Johnston has done great work, but it's been a while since he came up with a truly "great" theme because it swung to licensed music... now they're cutting costs Reigns, Ambrose, Rollins, Rusev are all back to JJ compositions... and not particularly good ones. Both songs were rip offs of Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis (as was Cesaro's first theme) if they'd just ponied up a bit of dough for THAT and given it to Rose, it would have gotten over and thus he would have far better.

The closest of the 3 Shield guys is Ambrose's who to me would fit the "through the crowd" entrance better... it always seemed like his idea/thing in the Shield but I guess they want to force Reigns as "man of the people" so he gets to keep it.

The Uso's "haka" is effective but again not a new thing, the New Zealand Rugby have done it for years. The Uso's have just "borrowed it" and put their own spin on it.

Rusev's whole pre-match schtick is very interesting... a) it's very LONG... between he and Lana's not so quick walk to the ring (so she can show off her pins), removing the medal, her rant, the Vladimir Putin photo and THEN him saying a few words... it's as long if not longer than Bray's entrance (which they seem to be truncating a lot now) add Swagger/Zeb's part and that match could be longer in the intros that in the ring. But it works, it's the best "Foreign Heel Combo" they have had since Sheiky Baby and Volkoff back in the day. Instead of singing the national anthem you have the picture of Putin, hero worshipped by a girl SO HOT that everyone wants her to worship them that way... by the time the intro is over you want whoever is coming down to KILL Rusev so you can have a shot at Lana... an intro that can do that is very good indeed.

It's remiss not to mention some of the NXT guys too... I have seen a lot of hate thrown at the new Vaudevillians team for their intro... to me it's insulting to diss it... Here are two guys trying something totally different and while I appreciate it probably doesn't work as well live, on TV it looks great, fits their gimmick and what has been proven recently is that gimmicks are back in a big way so come up with it yourself or get one (a bad one) handed to you...

Which leads to the best example...Stardust.

This is no flash in the pan as so much has been put into the thought of this... from ring movements, movesets, costume, mannerisms and music (a JJ composition that works) but mainly the intro. Goldust always had that skill of workign the crowd during his intro for maximum effect and he has taught Cody well... the simple "hand star" gesture, how they are interacting as they come to the ring... it works and the fans are lapping it up. No way are these two feuding... they are gonna team for the rest of Dustin's career, probably WWE trying to encourage a facepaint record at Mania and then Stardust takes over.

When it happens , and believe me it will. The moment 'Cult of personality' hits the crowd will self implode.

The shield had it so with Roman keeping the same music I guess you have to go with that although the spelling out of S.H.I.E.L.D was the spine tingling moment.

I agree that Bray is nothing like Taker mainly due the flaws in the logic.

Lesnar's music, to me, always sounded like a beast screaming somewhere off in a jungle. Kind of like the T Rex's roar in Jurassic Park let you know someone was about to get messed up. Then it really kicks in, and it's awesome. That gets the crowd rocking immediately, though...it could just be because Brock Lesnar is a monster.

The intro to a song is not about the audience recognising who the wrestler is and going, "oh i like this guy this will be good" or "this fits them well" its about something that clicks to get the crowd buzzing, like the glass shattering in Austin's theme or the rock's voice bellowing out.

Currently there isn't really anything like this, for me at least.
Batista's theme use to
The S.H.I.E.L.D theme did but without the Sierra Hotel etc. its lost abit of the magic

Main Event Stars for me:

John Cena - his intro is pretty long before he comes and when he does it's always a different reaction to when his intro plays, (e.g. his intro could be booed but he gets cheered when he comes out or the other way round) always liked his intro/entrance

Bray Wyatt - 'cheap pop' at the start (calling out the cities name) but it's effective for him and it's responded to pretty well. The bit that actually gets me on my feet for him is after he says "we're here" when he blows out the flame, that's soo cool to me and I mark out at that point.

Triple H - I fucking love HHH's intro! "Time to play the game" followed by the sinister laugh, it's just amazing and suits HHH so well! I love that Motorhead song and I only listen to Hip Hop, Rap and R&B music regularly.

Daniel Bryan - *sighs* Yes.. (no pun intended).. Daniel Bryan, even though I don't like him all to much, his intro when it strums up is brilliant and always gets an amazing pop from the crowd.

The Rock - "IF YOU SMEEEEELL..." *drums* "...WHAT THE ROCK..." *more drums* "...IS COOKIN!!" *crowd goes insane, Rock comes out*.. need I say more?

Stone Cold - The glass shattering is too fucking sick! enough said.

CM Punk - Another dude I'm not too keen on but I love the intro to his theme before Living Colour start singing.

Tag Teams

The Usos - I love these dudes ..(pause).. their entrance is amazing, I always find myself doing the Haka/Siva Tau when they appear and I'm a Hip Hop fan as I said before so once the pyro hits, you know I'm going along to their theme song.;)

Goldust/Stardust - These two are freaking cool! I believe their new Tag Theme is Stardust's theme, and it has a nice drop in the beat at the start and that gets a good pop. (SIDE NOTE:: Stardust is improving every week, everyone saying he is shit needs to lighten up and fucking give him a chance, it's a new gimmick which I'm sure he's working on in between performing with it.)

Other Superstars

I'm just gonna list the guys I think I have great intro's that I couldn't be bothered to write about...

Brock Lesnar
Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins
Chris Jericho
Jack Swagger
Rey Mysterio
Goldberg
MVP - ticking clock in WWE
Kurt Angle - WWECW theme
The Shield

I don't buy the cheap pop argument with Wyatt at all, it's a lazy opinion that mainly comes from wrestlers who can't get over so they diss others who do. The Wyatt use of the town in question isn't remotely to get a pop... it's a warning... If the fans then choose to cheer rather than boo that's up to them , but again it's a gimmick based off of a cult... if it's doing it's job then more people will get "into" it every week.

It's not a Rock with his "finally" or Mick Foley working it in for the ironic "cheap pop". It's part of that vibe that says "for the next segment the town of "X" is not going to be fun place to be..."

I think my favorite part of the Wyatt's intro is when like 60% of the audience pull out their cell phones to light the place up! That is brilliant....actually I think the whole thing is brilliant.

I think my favorite part of the Wyatt's intro is when like 60% of the audience pull out their cell phones to light the place up! That is brilliant....actually I think the whole thing is brilliant.

Everytime I see The Wyatts entrance I go, "this is so amazing!". Rowan and Harper's new theme is sick too. Other entrances that are cool to me (modern roster):

CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
The Usos
Undertaker
Brock Lesnar
Stardust/Goldust
Rusev
Jack Swagger
Rey Mysterio
Randy Orton
Triple H
Roman Reigns
Batista
John Cena
Dolph Ziggler
Sheamus
Bad News Barrett

NXT:
The Ascension
Tyler Breeze
Corey Graves
BFF (Sexy)
Vaudevillians (Different)
Big Cass & Enzo Amore
Sami Zayn

Hopefully, they have Kalisto with a cooler entrance because I think this guy could become a major star.

For me, alot of times what makes a superstars entrance is that first two seconds of it. If it has some sort of defining sound that immediatley grabs my attention for who is coming out. Like Stone Colds glass shattering or The Rock's "If ya smell! What the rock! Is cooking!"

Some of today's stars that have that in my opinion are CM Punk with the static noise before the music. Bray Wyatt has the quick dat! or whatever the hell it says and then the great visual with the lights out and all the cell phones lighting up the crowd, very similar to taker with all the lighters back in the day. I also like the Shield/ Roman Reigns entrance. It doesn't have an extra sound at the beginning but the sound of it right off the bat makes you go " Ooooh somebody is about to get an ass kicking". Also even though I can't stand the damn song, John Cena's entrance is very distinct and grabs your attention. Part of that is I immediatley get interested to see if the boos or cheers are louder. I also really like the God Save the Queen at the start of Barretts theme, which I believe is the sixth hundredth different theme song for him.

Cena's theme will never change not cos it's particularly good or fits him (it does) but cos of who wrote it (he did) instead of someone else coining for using their music, HE gets paid to walk to the ring twice, once for being there and once for the music that's playing... on every DVD, game etc... he gets that cash...

Same reason a 50 year old man with a Bobby Charlton combover still comes out to himself singing "I'm Just A Sexy Boy".

Yeah, a superstars entrance has to have that feel about it that if you're looking away and you hear it on the TV, you should essentially break your neck with how quick you turn round to the TV.

Like Jericho's return a few weeks ago, I was busy on my computer abusing The Miz, then I heard 'BREAK THE WALLS DOWN' and I turned 180 degrees to watch the TV.

There's very few that can make you do that. Undertaker, Punk, HHH, Cena are amongst them, but the biggest one is Edge. When you hear that 'YOU THINK YOU KNOW ME', you can be sure your eyeball will be fixed on the set for the forseeable future

Yeah i actually think about this a lot and I love Cena's intro and actually entire entrance. He has it down his cues in the music are awesome like when he throws his arms up in the ok symbol then everybody boos or cheers its awesome. I also like how when he comes out whether you love, hate, cheer, or boo him you're giving him your attention and energy. It's cool he has "it" and gives every match a big fight feel and it starts with his intro.

Jericho's countdown befrore and now just break the walls down gets me to pop.

Of course Austin glass shattering

DX- Are you ready might be my absolute favorite.

Apply everything about Cena to Triple H

The Rock-If ya smelllllll

When i thought about this the other day it made me think. Does every top guy have a notable first few seconds of their intro? Is that essential to the success of a character? Along with the ones mentioned you have Hogan's guitar, Edge you think you know me, Brock Lesnar's rift, Flairs Woo, Shawn Michael's intro, Taker's gong? The one exception might be Orton? Unless you count the I hear voices as the intro?
I actually was going to make a thread for this but decided it was appropriate for here. Mods if you disagree can you make a new thread out of this or let me know and I'll copy and paste it in one?

Yeah i actually think about this a lot and I love Cena's intro and actually entire entrance. He has it down his cues in the music are awesome like when he throws his arms up in the ok symbol then everybody boos or cheers its awesome. I also like how when he comes out whether you love, hate, cheer, or boo him you're giving him your attention and energy. It's cool he has "it" and gives every match a big fight feel and it starts with his intro.

Jericho's countdown befrore and now just break the walls down gets me to pop.

Of course Austin glass shattering

DX- Are you ready might be my absolute favorite.

Apply everything about Cena to Triple H

The Rock-If ya smelllllll

When i thought about this the other day it made me think. Does every top guy have a notable first few seconds of their intro? Is that essential to the success of a character? Along with the ones mentioned you have Hogan's guitar, Edge you think you know me, Brock Lesnar's rift, Flairs Woo, Shawn Michael's intro, Taker's gong? The one exception might be Orton? Unless you count the I hear voices as the intro?
I actually was going to make a thread for this but decided it was appropriate for here. Mods if you disagree can you make a new thread out of this or let me know and I'll copy and paste it in one?

For Orton it is the "voices" line at the start. I'm not a big fan of signalling who it is with a vocal cue like Flair's "Wooo" or "Time To Play The Game" as the music itself is more than sufficient, in WWE though it's about the pop rather than the effect so rather than letting the music do the talking. Edge's use of Metallingus was enough, it didn't need the nod to his original theme.

For some guys like Rock it is integral to them but others really never did need it but WWE use it as the shortcut.

It's not a new thing, most superstars have had one, main event or not... Booker T, Scott Steiner, Carlito all had a spoken word cue...

Glass shattering for Austin was an effect based on his original entrance where he would come out to real panes of glass... it became to cumbersome so they just made it the sound instead rather than having him always have to come through the glass.

Now I'm gonna argue a point here, we've kinda started talking about intro that makes you immediately know who's coming out...well Finlay? He had the "my name is Finlay and I love to fight."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back