My First Signature In Ages...

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I made it today:

ak7vvb.png

I don't know why I wanted to create a signature since the one that was made for me was everything that I wanted it to be and so much more. Still, I felt the itch and I satisfied it with this creation.

This signature was pretty simple to do and with a lot of new guys to this section, I thought that I would show that you don't have to be applying millions of layers of effects to get a decent signature. In fact, this one was created with 9 layers and took me about 20 minutes.

I started with a street and then added in my render. I blurred the background and sharpened the render before adding some effects. I used a couple of Gradient Maps and desaturated a lot of it. I then added a few levels and Lighting modes before adding the text and the lens flare.

Done.

Holy shit! a Dave sighting. Dude, awesome sig. Good to see a sig made by you, it's been a while. Hope we see more of your sigs. I'm trying to improve everyday and try to be as good as you. See what you did there, simple sig, but damn awesome.

Good signature, I just have two minor, personal criticisms. The first is placement of the subtext and the quality of it. I feel the subtext conflicts with the main subject and is of slightly lower quality when compared to the main text. Next, I think a traditional, complete border would improve the quality of the signature.

Again, this is my personal assessment on it, and even then, it's only incredibly minor criticisms. It's a fantastic signature.

I made it today:
ak7vvb.png

Pretty lazy creation in my opinion...
I noticed the depth effect on here, but look at your top right corner, the BG has colors, however in the left side it is a perfect "Black and White".
His left shoulder has highlights that are impossible to have if the light source
was his eyes, so another mistake.
The text is gorgeous in my opinion, but the font used in "The Show Goes On" is a little bit difficult to read and shadows would make sense.
I'm here trying to help, when I know that you are better than me, but it has some amateur fails, that must be "rust"...
Also the borders shouldn't be on the left and right side, I think that in the top and bottom would look nice.

Don't get me wrong, this is a effective signature that will be awesome for the "regular viewer", but since I know how you made it I thought I could give you some feedback, please this is only to help you, don't get me wrong Dave!!
Keep it up :D

7,5/10

Reactions: TSG
Pretty lazy creation in my opinion...
I noticed the depth effect on here, but look at your top right corner, the BG has colors, however in the left side it is a perfect "Black and White".
His left shoulder has highlights that are impossible to have if the light source
was his eyes, so another mistake.
The text is gorgeous in my opinion, but the font used in "The Show Goes On" is a little bit difficult to read and shadows would make sense.
I'm here trying to help, when I know that you are better than me, but it has some amateur fails, that must be "rust"...
Also the borders shouldn't be on the left and right side, I think that in the top and bottom would look nice.

Don't get me wrong, this is a effective signature that will be awesome for the "regular viewer", but since I know how you made it I thought I could give you some feedback, please this is only to help you, don't get me wrong Dave!!
Keep it up :D

7,5/10

Just a couple of things.

Thanks for the feedback, first of all. However, I feel the need to take issue with a couple of things you have said.

Firstly, the light source isn't his eye. The lens flare on his eye is intended to show a reflection from his sunglasses from the initial light source. The light source is off canvas, if you like.

Secondly, I tend to find that shadows on text tends to look silly if you don't have an actual light source on the canvas.

Lastly, there is no set place that borders should and shouldn't be. Put them wherever you like as long as they frame your signature.

Welcome back Dave. Now onto the sig at hand.

I really like this piece. Only issue (like BC) I have is that subtext. The font choice isn't working for me and somewhat distracts me from what is an awesome piece. I personally think the subtext isn't need as the "Lupe" and "Fiasco" text work fine for me. The render is good and I was going to use it for the avatar I made, but felt the other one work better. The city background works and sort goes with the song choice of the subtext in "The Show Goes On" (excellent song BTW). Anywho there isn't really much to say about this as it is a quality piece of work. Sometimes simple is better and that is definitely the case here.

Just a couple of things.

Thanks for the feedback, first of all. However, I feel the need to take issue with a couple of things you have said.

I hope you didn't get me wrong, I was just trying to give some personal feedback.

Firstly, the light source isn't his eye. The lens flare on his eye is intended to show a reflection from his sunglasses from the initial light source. The light source is off canvas, if you like.

Well if that is the case, I'm sorry but the light source is too bright and he a little bit darker, maybe moving a little bit on the brightness, or a less bright lens flare effect, but I totally get what you tried to do here, and it is had the special touch, which is nice ;)

Secondly, I tend to find that shadows on text tends to look silly if you don't have an actual light source on the canvas.

Well since I thought that he was the light source I think shadows would looked nice, but he isn't, so nothing to say.
But tastes are tastes, I for one think that adding some shadows in the text sometimes help the reading from the viewer.

Lastly, there is no set place that borders should and shouldn't be. Put them wherever you like as long as they frame your signature.

Tastes are tastes, and I don't like borders only at left and right, it is just a personal opinion.

It is still a great signature :worship:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back