Posting a survey question

Do you have an old computer you would like to repurpose?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
How many of you have old desktop computers sitting around the house which are perfectly capable of running, but are too old to do so? How many of you wish you could use that machine again, and stop it from doing nothing more than collecting dust, if only you had a good use for it?

If there is a sizable number of people who respond with yes, then I plan on writing up a tutorial to help you put that computer back into use.

I suppose I have a few. My desktop is running Ubuntu and has been largely supplanted by my laptop, and I think there's an old thing hanging out in the basement. I'm reasonably sure it has like a Pentium 4 in it, or some other ancient technology.

I have a couple of old desktops around the country that basically exist to store obscure files that I might need one day but can't be bothered to transfer. Can't see much attraction in repurposing them though; I already have a computer that works.

If by repurposing you mean turning into some kind of a fighting robot, well then:

1329933088242.png

My old one doesn't work because the backlight went out. Won't work again unless I shell out some bucks to fix it.

I have two. One is just messed up and I'm too lazy to try to figure out what. The other is pretty old. How old? It's a white Compaq from about '02 that ran XP

Seems like there is some interest. When I get some free time, I'll write up a couple different things you can do with an old machine, starting first with turning it into a file server you can back up files to, from any computer in your home.

My old one doesn't work because the backlight went out. Won't work again unless I shell out some bucks to fix it.

Backlight? On a desktop computer?

Барбоса;3889563 said:
If I had the confidence to do so I would have taken the DVD drive out of my last computer and put it into my current one.

If.
It's very easy to do, if you don't want to use your old machine anymore. All it takes is a screwdriver. The only problem you might have is if your computer is significantly older, it's possible the cables which connect in the old one will not work in the new. If you open the computers up, you might/will see what I mean.

Laptop. Your poll and op ask different questions and read this late at night.

Gotcha...if you have a VGA port on your laptop, you can hook it up to a monitor. There's a setting in Windows Power Mangement where you can keep the laptop running even when it's closed. Plug in a USB mouse and keyboard, and you have a working computer.

I have two. One is just messed up and I'm too lazy to try to figure out what. The other is pretty old. How old? It's a white Compaq from about '02 that ran XP

I think we have the same model, though I haven't used mine in about 8 years so it less white, more manila.

Depending on how old, they can be turned into Home Theater PCs too, especially if you have a TV Tuner card installed.

Барбоса;3889563 said:
If I had the confidence to do so I would have taken the DVD drive out of my last computer and put it into my current one.

If.

I know this is your thread Sly, but I had to respond.

If you need to you can always buy cables that convert 1 to another, I've done it before with DVD drives and its not much of an issue. Usually it would be an IDE to SATA converter cable.

Also you can just use an IDE encloser for a hard drive and hook it up that way, in both cases I've made it work.

Just in case you don't have the right cables to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back