Pro-wrestling School Tidbits and Indy Experiences

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
Many readers on these forums have always wanted to know what it would be like to attend wrestling school and become a pro-wrestler. This thread could be a good opportunity for others to gain some valuable information.

Fortunately, I was a student at one time and have years of indy wrestling experience under my belt. But I'm sure that I'm not alone with this. I've chatted with many others on Wrestlezone who have similar experiences with wrestling school and the independent, local wrestling circuit. This could be a great opportunity for all of you to share your experiences and stories with others.

I understand that most of you have questions that you'd like to ask in this thread. Most of the time, in non-spam forums such as this one, questions would be considered to be spam posts. However, as long as the questions are valid, non-repetitive, on-topic, have direction, and can promote discussion, this thread can be an exception.

So there are two ways to post in this thread:

1. Share your tidbits and stories if you have any experience with wrestling school or your local, independent wrestling circuit.

2. Ask a question that pertains to learning the art of professional wrestling. Hopefully, someone with experience (such as myself) can answer the question for you. All answers must contain a good enough explanation where there will not be considered to be a spam post.

(If any questions, responses, or stories in this thread are considered to be spam, they will be deleted and the poster will be infracted.)

Fire away, everyone!

As someone who attended two free classes for two different schools for manager training, I can say that unless you are in peak physical conditioning, forget about it. My biggest mistake is where as I have the mic skills, the ability to draw heat, and the ability to take basic bumps, that still is NOT good enough for manager training.

Instead, you are trained right along with the wrestlers. And to be honest I just am not in the physical condition to go at their pace. So all I did was basic exercising, which included those God damn squats, which by the time you were done them, your knees would feel like they were ready to fall off.

For the record, I attended Afa Anoia's school for a session in PA and a local school in Maryland for another session.

Going through wrestling school is like going to boot camp in many aspects. So if you seriously want to be a wrestler, manager, Divas, etc. and you are absolutely sure, make sure you are in absolute peak physical conditioning BEFORE you actually go.

However, I am going to say right now, if you want to be a manager in wrestling, DO NOT pursue it. The reason you don't see managers today, other than some Divas, is not because there aren't quality people who can actually talk. It's because they aren't wanted. So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you could be the best talker in the world, and it was something I was very strong at, but the companies (WWE and apparently it's copy-cat TNA) do not want managers around anymore.

Obviously the wrestling schools most likely won't tell you this, because they are all-too-eager to take your money and tell you that "if you're good enough, you can do it". But to that I reply, "just look around WWE and TNA". Do you see male managers? No? Well, there's a reason for that, and that's because neither company believes in it anymore. So if you pursue it, you will spend a few grand and be trained as a wrestler instead, and not get hired as a manager by any respectable wrestling company.

So if you are a guy, and you don't want to wrestle, your only other hope may be a referee or an announcer. So unfortunately, you don't really have a future in WWE or TNA, if you want to be a manager. You can only really be a valet, if you are a woman.

But it can undoubtedly be rewarding for anyone who may want to wrestle. And for the ladies who want to be divas, you will be trained how to wrestle as well, and go through the same training wrestlers get.

My questions for D-Man are as follows.

As someone who ring announced in the Indys, I would not be sitting in the back while wrestlers go over their matches. The ref would go over them, which is common knowledge, with the wrestlers involved. But since I would be sitting out in the building the whole time while the show was going on, I couldn't exactly listen in.

However, how much of the match is improvised and how much is actually worked out in advance? Obviously, this will vary upon who the workers are, but as a rule of thumb, how much is worked out for say, an 8-10 minute match?

And can you walk us through how you would set the match up and certain scenarios that were made in a match you had?

Just for those interested, the ring announcer usually is the one feeding cues to the ref on how much longer the match needs to go on. We would work out signals on when it was time for the wrestlers to go home.

Excellent thread, D-Man. What's up with that sig, btw?

However, how much of the match is improvised and how much is actually worked out in advance? Obviously, this will vary upon who the workers are, but as a rule of thumb, how much is worked out for say, an 8-10 minute match?

And can you walk us through how you would set the match up and certain scenarios that were made in a match you had?

It all depends on the guys in the match. With many moves, there are very subtle signals that are used by the wrestler such as:

When an Irish Whip occurs and the recipient wishes to do a reversal, they would lightly squeeze the other guy's wrist as the Irish Whip occurs.

But with the complicated exchanges, just like in the movie "The Wrestler", the wrestlers sit down in the locker room and plan a few spots beforehand.

The majority of moves in the match are done on the fly and, with experience, can be 'read' by both wrestlers before they happen. If you haven't figured it out already, wrestler' senses must be razor sharp and they must keep their awareness raised to the highest level at all times in the match.

Excellent thread, D-Man. What's up with that sig, btw?

LOL... it was a short exchange between FTS and myself. They all still think that we hate each other.

What's a good job to have when one's attending a school? Even if it's 1-2 days a week, I'm still guessing school's going to be taxing on your body, and then there's the time you need to spend in the gym... Obviously something low-key (Kaval?) would be best, but then making good money would be an issue. Is there some sort of midpoint between the two?

well there goes any chance of being a manager for me...... ugh good way to ruin a man's dream Sid :p

anyway I have a question. If somebody wanted to be a color or play-by-play commentator in the "biz" do you need experience in the broadcast journalism field? reason I ask is cos now that my managers dream is now shot.... sid <_< :p I have some experience in College Radio.

What's a good job to have when one's attending a school? Even if it's 1-2 days a week, I'm still guessing school's going to be taxing on your body, and then there's the time you need to spend in the gym... Obviously something low-key (Kaval?) would be best, but then making good money would be an issue. Is there some sort of midpoint between the two?

Yikes... this is a good question. It really all depends on the schedule that the school offers. The one I attended had all sorts of day and night classes that went from 12pm-4pm and 6pm-10pm. That pretty much gave everyone the opportunity to work around their schedules. And the classes went about 3 days per week with the option to go to extra ones, if you wished.

So, it all depends on what kind of job you'd like. If you're a waiter or waitress, you can get quick cash at night and train during the day. But like I said, it's all about what the school offers.

well there goes any chance of being a manager for me...... ugh good way to ruin a man's dream Sid :p

anyway I have a question. If somebody wanted to be a color or play-by-play commentator in the "biz" do you need experience in the broadcast journalism field? reason I ask is cos now that my managers dream is now shot.... sid <_< :p I have some experience in College Radio.

Honestly, I don't know. But the school I attended had young people taking on this role, along with being a ring announcer. Therefore, I would say probably not.

I think the only REAL requirement of a play-by-play announcer is that you must have a personality. After all, if guys like JBL, Taz, and Striker can be play-by-play guys, I assume that anyone else could, given the required natural talent.

nice thread, D-Man!

I've always wondered how the wrestler would go around choosing his finishing move. Is it something that would be taught to you at the school, or something that you got to do on your own?

Honestly, I don't know. But the school I attended had young people taking on this role, along with being a ring announcer. Therefore, I would say probably not.

I think the only REAL requirement of a play-by-play announcer is that you must have a personality. After all, if guys like JBL, Taz, and Striker can be play-by-play guys, I assume that anyone else could, given the required natural talent.

D-Man, I hate to be technical on this, but JBL, Taz, and now Striker are the color commentators. It is really the same in sports. More often than not, the color commentator is a previous player for that sport, or in this case a former wrestler. Which also helped when they did the heel-face announcers. The play by play guys, for the most part, are guys who went to school for it, or grew up being able to do it. It is a subtle little thing, but as I am in broadcasting school, we are meant to catch the subtle little things. I don't mean to be a know it all or smartass. But just look at the current tandems on Raw and Smackdown. King (ex-wrestler) is color, he adds to the broadcast from that perspective, and Cole (non-wrestler) is the play by play, and makes it go. Smackdown you have Striker (ex-wrestler) who adds from his experiences, and Grisham (non-wrestler) doing the majority of play calls. Again, I don't mean to sound like a know it all, or even to show you up, I hope it doesn't seem like I am.

So my advice for Crashin, taken however you want, would be if you want to go for color, be a wrestler, and use your experiences. If you want to do play by play, go to school for it, or just listen to how other broadcasts go and improvise how you would go about it. Although I would go with the former. Sorry to go off topic.

I however do also have a question pertaining to the thread for you D-Man. Could you describe what you consider your best match? If there was more planning involved in it than other matches, or if it was just on the fly. Just if you could describe what made it your best match.

nice thread, D-Man!

I've always wondered how the wrestler would go around choosing his finishing move. Is it something that would be taught to you at the school, or something that you got to do on your own?

Another very good question.

Most pro-wrestlers copy existing moves that were created in smaller promotions around the world. Moves like the Styles' Clash originated in Japan, I believe. Therefore, students would bring these cool moves to their teachers and would be advised as to how to execute the move without injuring their opponents.

Others do it the old fashioned way... they make it up. Just like anything else in life, if you put in enough effort and practice, you can begin to paint your own pictures and make it cater to your style.

But, in the end, it's mainly up to the student. On the indy circuit, they are at least 80% responsible for the direction of their character. From their personalities, to their moveset, to their finishing maneuvers. They can be advised by their teachers, since they probably know best, but the decision is ultimately up to the wrestler.

D-Man, I hate to be technical on this, but JBL, Taz, and now Striker are the color commentators. It is really the same in sports. More often than not, the color commentator is a previous player for that sport, or in this case a former wrestler. Which also helped when they did the heel-face announcers. The play by play guys, for the most part, are guys who went to school for it, or grew up being able to do it. It is a subtle little thing, but as I am in broadcasting school, we are meant to catch the subtle little things. I don't mean to be a know it all or smartass. But just look at the current tandems on Raw and Smackdown. King (ex-wrestler) is color, he adds to the broadcast from that perspective, and Cole (non-wrestler) is the play by play, and makes it go. Smackdown you have Striker (ex-wrestler) who adds from his experiences, and Grisham (non-wrestler) doing the majority of play calls. Again, I don't mean to sound like a know it all, or even to show you up, I hope it doesn't seem like I am.

So my advice for Crashin, taken however you want, would be if you want to go for color, be a wrestler, and use your experiences. If you want to do play by play, go to school for it, or just listen to how other broadcasts go and improvise how you would go about it. Although I would go with the former. Sorry to go off topic.

I however do also have a question pertaining to the thread for you D-Man. Could you describe what you consider your best match? If there was more planning involved in it than other matches, or if it was just on the fly. Just if you could describe what made it your best match.

First off, none of that was off-topic and I thank you for your input.

Secondly, I'm really going to have to dig back into my memory...

I was a co-founder of a very small promotion in Northern NJ called the BBWF (Bigger, Better, Wrestling Federation). We had a mixture of wrestlers that ranged from close friends that grew up with us to wrestlers that graduated from the feeder program of the IWF (Independant Wrestling Federation) in West Paterson, NJ. So, we put on and financed our own events.

Our biggest event of the year was being held and I was in the co-main event. I was the top heel of the small promotion and was pitted against the top babyface in a match that would determine the #1 contender for the BBWF Championship. Luckily, the babyface was one of my best personal friends, so we completely trusted each other and knew our movesets inside and out. We got together from weeks beforehand to plan some spots for the match, all depending on the outcome that we would decide that night.

The day of the event came, and the script was planned like this...

The "commissioner" of the federation came out at the beginning of the show to cut a promo, which got interrupted by me. The babyface came out to confront me, and since we had a thick history, I challenged him to a match we had never done before... a Falls Count Anywhere match. He accepted, and the rest was history.

This match was exceptionally complicated because it required wrestling outside of the ring and using weapons. So, we had to think of spots that wouldn't completely injury us, yet entertain the crowd. We planned the typical chair shots, ladder bumps, use of the trash cans, side suplex onto a chair, taunting his wife in the audience... just everything that could get me cheap heat.

In the end, the match was very painful, but SO much fun. The crowd ate it up and I wound up being on the losing end. But my friend and I still talk about it to this day, being our best individual match. Most of the match was done on the fly, but the key spts that we planned went off without a hitch. We were very proud of what we did that day and got it all on DVD.

My question is this. When you talk about signals, just how many different signals are there? Do wrestlers have different signals for the same moves? Like let's say for your irish whip mention earlier. Is it possible that one wrestler could have that signal you mentioned, and the other could have something else, thus upsetting the fluidity of the match.

If you want to be a Commentator, then you need a college degree in Broadcasting and they are specifically looking for people who have experience announcing in Sports, somewhere.

The key is to get yourself on videotape and send in your resume from there.

So getting a college degree in Mass Communications and getting the practical real-world experience is a must. This comes straight from the WWE corporate website.

My question is this. When you talk about signals, just how many different signals are there? Do wrestlers have different signals for the same moves? Like let's say for your irish whip mention earlier. Is it possible that one wrestler could have that signal you mentioned, and the other could have something else, thus upsetting the fluidity of the match.

I'm not sure, really. When I had my pre-match chats with the fellas, I would always mention the signals briefly and it seemed like they always knew what I was talking about. In the end, it just all seemed to work out. So I guess I would say no, it seems to be pretty universal.

As for how many signals there are, I can tell you that I only attending the school for a year and a half. However, I've noticed many different signals from the matches I've been a part of. There are dozens of signals that are all subtle. Most are just a small squeeze or pinch of a wrist; something that the audience will never see or know about. But the squeeze of the wrist doesn't necessarily mean that an 'Irish Whip' is to be reversed, but more like 'the next move' is to be reversed. And let's just say I was supposed to reverse a full nelson... we learned the proper way to do that in school.

Hopefully, that was a clear answer.

I have no questions as I have already been in the ring, done my training, and had what experience I needed. But, I do have a story. I thought I would share this one for those of you who might be entertaining the idea of becoming a professional wrestler.

I myself never wanted to be a professional wrestler as much as I wanted to learn how it was done. One day I was at this locally owned Video Game/Hobby store and I noticed a little flier by the register for some local wrestling company I had never heard of before. I took the flier and went home to check it out. I noticed there was a website on the flier so I got on the internet, went to the website, and to my surprise I noticed one of the subcategories was "Training". I was pretty excited to see that there was a local wrestling company that offered training.

Remember, this is Iowa and although I live in the major metropolitan area known as Des Moines, there are still quite a few major markets we are not privy to here in the mid-west quite yet. I always thought it I was going to learn how to wrestle I would have to go to either the east or west coast. I never thought there would be something right here in my own home town to give me the opportunity to pursue my dream, yet here it was right in front of my face.

The website didn't have any contact information, so I figured that if I wanted to get into contact with someone who could get me in the door I should go right back to where I started, the video game/hobby store. I figured that someone there had to know who to contact or had to know someone affiliated with this group or else they wouldn't have their fliers at the store. So I went back, and I asked the owner if he could give me any information on who to talk to about this wrestling deal. By a stroke of luck I came to find out that one of the owners worked at the store part time, and would be in the next day. The next day I went back and sure enough I found the guy and I asked him probably every question there was to ask him about training and what all it entails.

I learned quickly that what it all comes down to is money. You gotta pay to play, and if you can't pay you can't play. I worked out a deal with the guy to where I could pay his $1500 in installments as I went through the training, with some money down. I payed him my initial installment, I signed a contract with the company, and I was officially beginning my wrestling training. We would meet at the owners house every Saturday from 7-2 as well as attend every event to pay our dues helping out with whatever needed done. That was the plan.

I didn't do this alone. I had a friend who was interested too. I was nice enough to pay for him to start as well since he was hard up for money and really wanted to do this as much as I did. We wanted to train and wrestle as a tag team, we had a name, a gimmick, everything all thought out. It would have been perfect, but things don't always go according to plan.

We went to our first practice, and I can still feel the pain. First we had to set up the ring, just me and my friend. We got it done in less than an hour which is pretty fast for two people. We were the first ones there, we even beat the owner to his house, we were so excited. We started with a lot of basic work out exercises. We did jumping jacks, Hindu squats, some running, and some stretching. All of that was exhausting enough after setting up the whole ring, and that was just the beginning.

Keep in mind now I am a big guy, I am in decent shape, and I have played football, learned Tae Kwon Do, Western Boxing, and even gymnastics when I was a kid. I am no stranger to sports or working out or training hard. This was a little different though. We got in the ring, and I remember first learning how to take a bump. The instructor had us grab the middle rope, and arch our backs as far as we could, basically so that out crotch is touching the rope, and our heads are facing up. Then we were told to just let go, and fall flat. That first one was easy, everything else to come got harder.

Eventually we got to taking more back bumps by taking a step and flipping your body in the air to land flat on your back. Even for a big guy I can get some good air, so I was skying up really nice, and getting over, landing just right. After a few minuted thought I started to feel funny, and my stomach was unsettled. After I got up from a bump I went to the ring apron and puked all over outside the ring, it was a bad one. Everyone was surprised, they knew someone would puke, they just didn't figure it would be me. I just got a drink, and kept going like nothing happened. Actually I felt a lot better after that and training went much better. As time kept going, and we kept working harder and harder, eventually we all got tired, even the trainers. So we were going through the routine bumps we had just learned doing them over and over to the trainers satisfaction. I remember it was on one of my last few bumps I was tired and I didn't get enough air to get all the way over, and when I landed I didn't land flat. I came down at an angle. It happened so fast I didn't feel it.

Later that night I was at home with my friend who was training along side me, and my girlfriend. We were just watching t.v. and I had been really uncomfortable since training. My back and by sides just hurt, I figured it was just from taking bumps since I wasn't used to it. However, I was sitting there and all of the sudden I sneezed really really hard. It was one of those that just comes from nowhere but hits hard. I sneezed and at the same time I heard and felt a very loud pop in my sides that went all the way to my back. I literally jumped out of my chair in pain and shouted some profanity as I was writhing in pain. I was standing up, but I couldn't move. The pain was coursing all through me, and every little movement of my muscles or anything else just made it hit even harder. The next morning I went to the doctor and found out I had broken two ribs in different places. My first training, and I broke my ribs. I was so disappointed. I was told I would be sidelined for 4-8 weeks due to the nature of the breaks and the time it would take to heal, and even after that I would have to be careful not to re-injure them for a while.

The trainers were surprised when I told them. I was the biggest and stronger guy training, they had taken a special interest in me because I was a pure heavyweight with outstanding athletic ability, they could see I had a lot of heart and that I was a great acquisition. So, they were disappointed and felt pretty bad that I had got hurt like that the first day in there. That didn't stop me though. I got a brace to hold my ribs in place, and I still trained, I just didn't take any bumps for a while. I still set up the ring, did my running, no jumping jacks, still did my squats, ran the ropes, was able to do some spots, and work some punches and kicks. Just nothing that would put a high amount of impact on my torso.

After I healed I was fine, I went on and all was well. But, I thought I would share that story to show you that you can get injured very easily, and you have to do what they tell you to a "T". I got injured my first time in and I had never had a broken bone before in my life, was in decent shape, and up to the point that I got hurt was performing well above expectation. It's not for you if you are afraid of getting hurt. They tell you right away "This is not exactly good for your body, it hurts, and you will get injured form time to time no matter how good you are." It just comes with the territory. I was too hard for my friend, and he quit. I stuck around, got what I wanted out of it, learned how to wrestle, learned how the business works at that level, and got out.

I figured out that I didn't want to be injured all the time, and that as much as I loved wrestling in the ring and everything, it just wasn't for me. Maybe someday I will decide I want to get into it more seriously and re-train and do some shows, but right now and at the time that I got out of it, my life just wouldn't allow it. I had too much going on outside of wrestling to be able to devote the amount of time I felt was necessary to it. I have tossed the idea around quite a bit, and I might get back in the ring in the next year or so, I am just undecided. I want to, but I want to do it the right way. I just have to see how certain things in my personal life play out before I can give it the effort I believe it deserves. Those are things I think you should consider if you are thinking of getting into wrestling, it requires a great deal of commitment.

I actually have two questions.

1. D-Man, what is the average salary for a just starting out indie wrestler?

2. D-Man, what was your finisher?

I know I'm not D-Man, but I'll field these questions.

Around the greater Cincinnati area, our wages ranged anywhere between 100 and 200 bucks a show. This, of course, was based on experience. Sounds like decent money for a fifteen to thirty minute match, no? Well, not really. You have to take part of that for your gas tank, with some shows being 2 or 3 hours away, food if the promoter doesn't provide it (which is super rare on the indies). Meaning, if your payday is only $100, you get to keep roughly 75 bucks after those expenses. Now, most of us go out for drinks after a show, which took even more money out of the equation. Anyway, the long and short of it is: from my experiences, 100 to 200 is the range, especially for the younger guys.

As for my finishing maneuver, when I do work I use one of two choices. If I'm working with a submission based guy, I'll go with the Muta Lock, so as to garner heat by embarrassing the fella (I typically work heel). Otherwise, I'm inclined to use a Yakuza Kick. Think the "Drive-By", only a bit stiffer.

Hope that helped, Scotty!

Around the greater Cincinnati area, our wages ranged anywhere between 100 and 200 bucks a show. This, of course, was based on experience. Sounds like decent money for a fifteen to thirty minute match, no? Well, not really. You have to take part of that for your gas tank, with some shows being 2 or 3 hours away, food if the promoter doesn't provide it (which is super rare on the indies). Meaning, if your payday is only $100, you get to keep roughly 75 bucks after those expenses. Now, most of us go out for drinks after a show, which took even more money out of the equation. Anyway, the long and short of it is: from my experiences, 100 to 200 is the range, especially for the younger guys.

As for my finishing maneuver, when I do work I use one of two choices. If I'm working with a submission based guy, I'll go with the Muta Lock, so as to garner heat by embarrassing the fella (I typically work heel). Otherwise, I'm inclined to use a Yakuza Kick. Think the "Drive-By", only a bit stiffer.

Hope that helped, Scotty!

Thanks man. It helped a ton. I would rep you but I need to spread it around some first.

Now, my next question is how long does it generally take to go through a typical wrestling school? Also, would you rather start out in a tag-team or singles wrestler?

I'm pretty amazed that you actually made THAT much money. Honestly, a big reason why I gave up on indy wrestling is because (no joke) I never made more than $50 for a match, EVER.

Luckily, I was a local guy and didn't make it to the level of overwhelming travel from place to place for matches and didn't have to spend a lot of money on travel expenses. However, Dewey is right on the money. These expenses never seem to balance out what it takes to keep up the profile of a pro-wrestler. It takes a lot of money to fit the mold. You need money for the gym, tanning, food, gas, hotel rooms, etc... It's a very rough business. But this is why there is always so much respect in the locker rooms for this type of occupation. These guys have gone through hell to make it to their current level.

Scotty said:

In tribute to my main man Owen Hart, my finisher was a spin on the Sharpshooter... Edge used to call it the Edge-u-cation... somewhat of a reverse Sharpshooter where instead of locking the opponents legs and turning in the opposite direction to apply pressure, I would be able to apply the pressure by continuing to face my opponent. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you look up Edge's Edge-u-cation you'll know what I mean.

Now, my next question is how long does it generally take to go through a typical wrestling school? Also, would you rather start out in a tag-team or singles wrestler?

I attended the school for 6 months and never actually 'graduated.' Most students would go for anywhere between 12-36 months before they were considered graduates and were able to put on live matches. It all depended on the evaluation made by the teachers of the school.

As for tag team versus singles, it's all in preference. Like I stated in an earlier post, the bookers (within the school) suggest a direction for your character to go in. You decide as to whether you wish to use it or not. But, if you sign onto a promotion, the booker decides everything for you.

Most would float towards singles since it has more of a glass ceiling to break through, but it's mainly up to the wrestler.

You said that you have your best match on DVD D-Man? If so have you ever considered posting the match on YouTube and giving poster a look into the Pro-Wrestling world of The D-Man. Oh, and BTW what was the wrestling name and gimmick of any former indie wrestlers on WZ?

You said that you have your best match on DVD D-Man? If so have you ever considered posting the match on YouTube and giving poster a look into the Pro-Wrestling world of The D-Man.

Not really. I have no need to brag or anything. It's just a keepsake for me, personally and I plan on leaving it at that. However, if you could somehow find copies that were sold and distributed, then all the power to you.

Oh, and BTW what was the wrestling name and gimmick of any former indie wrestlers on WZ?

I'm not understanding this question... if you're asking if any Indy wrestlers are on WZ, I honestly have no idea.

Just that if anybody reads that post and feels compelled to post what their wrestling name was and their gimmick. For example, if I was a former or current indie wrestler and I read that then I could post what my gimmick was, my wrestling name, and maybe some of their more commonly used moves. Just trying to get some ideas because I aspire to be a wrestler and am really curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back