Rant: what modern wrestling is lacking and why i hate AEw apologist.

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
I've been listening to podcasts discussing modern wrestling for years now and the one thing that i use to love about them was how un biased they were. If wwe was doing something dumb they would take them to task about it and same thing if they were doing something good. Same for all the others smaller promotions, Then came AEW and suddenly everybody doing those podcasts became fans of that product. Nothing against that, you can be a fan of whatever you like i don't care, what i do care about if how they give them a free pass because they like the product.

I will take last week's episode of dynamite as a exemple. They started the show with a long 10 man tag match. First of all the match itself was way too long but also it wasn't that well booked. From the fact that you could tell that in a lot of instance that they were cooperating with each other, to the top hell looking like a mid card comedy team to hangman page, a guy you're trying to push as a megastar being stuck with a jobber team. Everything was done to make page look like a afterthought then they had a shot to give page is breakout moment when you had the bucks and omega vs page. This was such a easy thing to booked, have page go over the one of the bucks while you dq the other for attcking page with a foreign object which left omega with a wounded page and you have page devy the odds and beat omega and get a title shot. Instead they had omega get the pin and sadly ending page's push toward a title reigns and making another star with page.

The whole andrade segment was such a wwe booked segment, in fact andrade hasn't evolved from his wwe personna and that's sad.

Jungle boy as a lot of potential but always giving him the start/stop push will hurt him in the long run. He had his breakout moment a few weeks ago when he was able to hang with omega, the logical next step would have been to continue his single push and making him split from jurassic express. Instead, you put him right back into the faction with a guy wearing a dinosaur mask and a midget plus he's feuding with matt hardy and his group which let face it are low card guys.

Jericho is pretty much in a mid life crisis at this point and is always trying to prove that he can still be releavant with the younger fans. The old chris Jericho would have thrown a fit a the mere idea of facing a guy like nick gage on national tv because he knew that it would hurt his brand if he was seen in the same ring as gage. Plus he also knew how badly it would be for the company as far as the sponsors are concerned. 2 thing that actually happens after that match. Jericho is there only because he has free reigns to do his wwe style booking that was too out there for wwe.

But will those podcasters that are fans of AEW actually talk about any of this? No, they are pushing all of this under the rug and AEW can do no wrong while if wwe would have booked any of these thing like this, they would be all over them for doing this type of booking.

The biggest culprit in all of this is dave meltzer. When i heard that he give the nick gage vs chris jericho 4 star, not because it was a good match but because the crowd liked it. The same meltzer that took up for cornette until omega said that it's cornette's fault that a fan jumped into the ring, then he change his stand and agreed with his good friend omega. The thing is, when meltzer first started covering wrestling, he didn't care if the fans liked the match or not, it was all about how good that match was. Gage vs jericho was a minus 3 star match but because the fans love it, it was a 4 star match in meltzer eyes. So you see how much meltzer as change over the year, now he's just like jericho and is trying to be accepted by the younger gen, that why he will never say anything bad against the bucks and omega.

As for WWE, yeah the product his boring and super clean, but at the same time they have so much external obstacle that affect the way they booked that it's harder to give a good and creative product but again are we talking about that? No, were just talking about how bad the product it.

In the end, i want to love wrestling but we need to realise that what we call wrestling isn't wrestling anymore, it's sports entertainment. WWE is booking family entertainment not wrestling, AEW is booking sports entertainment for those who don't know what wrestling truly is. Calling modern wrestling pro wrestling is a insult to those that actually worked in the business before this generation and to those that actually remember what wrestling actually was.

I don't watch a lot of AEW, but from I have seen there is sloppiness in a lot of their matches.

I agree with what you've said regarding Page, this guy's push lately has been a head scratcher to say the least.

The roster is just clustered as well, I think AEW is trying to run before it can walk as well with the amount of content they're putting out weekly.

If CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and Bray Wyatt sign then that's game changers, but they also need to get the right mix. WCW and TNA neglected home grown talent and relied on veterans.

AEW needs to learn from history and not repeat it.

I just follow AEW through podcast recaps and clips and i got to say that they are starting to fall in the same trap that TNA and WCW. I agree that if they get punk and bryan and to a certain extent wyatt, that a game changers if used the right way, which i'm not sure they will. But you look at how they been booking lately especialy on dynamite. Most of the feature guys they put on tv are ex wwe guys. The homegrown talent are for the most part relagate to the undercard in comedic roles. Again page is a perfect example. They were on the verge of creating a new star last week and they drop the ball because they might want to use one of they big new acquisition for omega at all out. Jungle boy is another one. They give him a huge spotlight to show what he can do and that he belong at the top of the card, then they cool him off immediately and put him back with the carnaval crew of the giant dino and the dwarf.

That's the problem that TNA had and now AEW as. The focus is too much on the ex wwe guys and the EVP's and less on the guys that aren't well known.

Hopefully they change this way of thinking by allowing Wardlow to win the face of the revolution match and push him further and letting MJF go over in the dog collar match in fact they need to release a few of these exWWE guys and start pushing guys like Jay Lethal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back