ROMAN REIGNS just solidified Kevin Owens

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
Last night on Raw, Roman Reigns was placed in the biggest Gauntlet Match of all time in WWE history as he went up against about 10 +/- men in the proclaimed "One vs. All" match. Only, we never got that far. Why? Because Roman Reigns was being manhandled by WWE's resident bully, Kevin Owens. Yes, the inevitable baby face shine that led to the unholy beat down of Roman Reigns eventually happened. It's wrestling and will continue to happen as such. But the fact remains that Roman Reigns did a damn good job of solidifying Kevin Owens' spot as one of the top 3 wrestling heels, if not the top... the other two being Sheamus and Del Rio.

Ever since Kevin burst onto the main roster by beating Cena at Elimination Chamber, he has been allowed to be the bully we've come to know him to be. He's been allowed to dominate most of his feuds and look absolutely boss status while doing it. He's bulldozed through face after face and left his mark. Yes, he's lost some high profile matches but he's also proven why him losing isn't always so bad because he can snap (I give you the beating he gave Ziggler a few weeks back).

And last night, when Roman Reigns was put in the One vs. All match it could've been too easy for WWE to either feed Owens to Reigns with a quick 3 minute elimination or simply have Owens dominate after being the fifth man in the ring. But instead, Roman Reigns got manhandled by Owens. I can't even recall a time when one of these gauntlet matches didn't even make it past the first opponent. Roman Reigns, while himself continuing to look strong, did something absolutely amazing and showcased a feat that makes true world champions... he made Kevin Owens look even stronger than himself, and that's saying something.

So love him or hate him, but Roman Reigns is definitely proving why having faith in him wasn't necessarily a bad idea.

Roman Reigns and Kevin Owens wrestling each other was a spectacle.

I have much respect for Roman and think that he has improved tremendously, both in the ring and on the mic. I got my proof in the segment with Stephanie where he said "If you screw me tonight, you're not going to pick your daddy from jail, you're gonna pick him from the haws-pee-tuhl" ! I loved the intensity. While previously, I thought that he sounded awkward, I truly believe he sounds natural and composed now.

Also, Kevin Owens, IMO, is already certain to be a maineventer in the WWE. When I see him, I see talent and charisma screaming out of him. So yes, him dominating Reigns was a good move, instead of the usual elimination within 2 minutes we see in gauntlet matches.

And in my humble opinion, Kevin Owens being the top heel in the WWE is not even a subject of debate. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know shit. Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus aren't good enough to be compared with Kevin Owens. They don't hold a candle to KO. The only other heels in wrestling history who could be put in the same league as Owens, or considered "better", are CM Punk and Chris Jericho(from 2008-2010).

But the fact remains that Roman Reigns did a damn good job of solidifying Kevin Owens' spot as one of the top 3 wrestling heels, if not the top...

Agreed. The fact the match went completely contrary to the way I figured it would was a good thing on two levels; first as a nod to the WWE Creative people who are coming up with new ideas all the time, despite the way many of the people on this forum depict them....and second, the manner in which Roman Reigns was used to build Kevin Owens, a factor that shouldn't have been missed by anyone who follows the continuing storyline.

I figured Roman would begin the match by quickly destroying the first few opponents he saw; a show of strength designed to keep worried looks on the faces of Vince & Stephanie McMahon.

So, when we saw Kevin Owens come out as the first foe, I reasoned that Roman would clean his clock and (unwisely) push Kevin down a couple of levels on the contender scale. Therefore, watching Owens absolutely dominate Roman made me wonder where they were going with the whole thing. On one hand, I couldn't believe Creative wanted Roman destroyed by the first guy to oppose him; that's no way to float a rep.

Instead, Owens had his turn to shine.....followed by Roman. Of course, Reigns wound up face down in the ring, as expected.......while Brock Lesnar came down to clean house, also as expected.

Terrific storytelling by Creative.....and everyone involved wins, including the fans.....but mostly Roman Reigns and Kevin Owens.

I'm not cashing in on this just yet until I see how everything with Ambrose plays out. But it did showcase what direction they plan to go with him this year. WWE has done a good job over the last two weeks of making him look like more of a legitimate top heel instead of a guy that just cuts typical heel promos.

Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know shit.

The only other heels in wrestling history who could be put in the same league as Owens, or considered "better", are CM Punk and Chris Jericho(from 2008-2010).

Rowdy Piper
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Iron Sheik
Triple H
Bubba Ray(ECW & TNA)
Ric Flair

And that's me saying they could draw more heat than CM Punk and Jericho.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that Reigns solidified him, but he definitely gave Owens a very strong rub last night. Owens got in a LOT of offense on Reigns and I had some trepidation first going into things. Given the "one vs. all" aspect of things, I figured we were going to see Reigns put into some sort of gauntlet match where he came off as superhuman by running through nearly all the guys with each match lasting a few minutes; I'm so glad that wasn't the case at all and that they didn't book Reigns like we've seen with Cena a few times in similar gauntlet match situations. Owens most definitely was elevated last night and I think there's a strong chance of him being an upper mid-card to main event mainstay when you consider his overall booking for the past couple of months.

If what I've read on Roman Reigns is accurate, then Reigns is someone that's definitely more of a team player in that he's quite willing to put over other guys. After all, I remember how impressed I was when I read reports on how Reigns reacted to when he was told he wasn't gonna win the strap at WrestleMania while his family, allegedly, freaked out. These reports give he impression of someone who is a genuine pro, conducts himself with class and makes the best of the situation he finds himself in rather than, like so many other millennials in wrestling these days, behaving like some spoiled brat kid who's mom wouldn't buy him a toy from Wal-Mart. As far as his persona and overall abilities, Reigns has come a long way since this time last year both in terms of how he paces himself, tells a story in the ring and interacts with fans. I still say that Reigns isn't remotely in Cena's league but that could change as more time passes because, as I said, look how far he's come in the last 12 months.

It's clear that WWE wants to do huge things with Kevin Owens. The match last night showed that, and more importantly, it showed that WWE is more open to creating multiple stars than sticking with their "one superstar and the rest" system which has been utilized since 2000. Allowing Reigns to look that weak against a top heel is something that was never done with John Cena, and it's one of the reasons why WWE failed at creating other stars on his level. Kevin Owens decimating the WWEWHC instantly makes him a viable threat to anybody and everybody, and it only took one night.

Reigns may not have come out of the match looking like a million bucks, but that's actually good for him. It shows some real vulnerability and gives the fans a reason to get behind him. As long as stuff like that doesn't happen regularly, it's a useful tool for WWE to use.

Regardless of the rub or whatever Kevin Owens got last night, I don't reckon it was something good to the storyline on the whole. Kevin Owens is on a feud with Dean Ambrose and he should stay in that confined surrounding And shouldn't have been out there. After that brutal segment closing Smackdown last week, Kevin Owens being out there without Ambrose doesn't impress me at all.

He garnished a lot of heat yes I do agree but this is Roman Reigns' story. If Kevin Owens attracted these hear from his feud against Dean Ambrose I would've been really happy. But that wasn't the case. Anyhow its just my verdict, and my perspective.

Let's not count our chickens.

Owens got the heel Cesaro treatment last night. He looked good for a while against a big name but ultimately did not get the job done. In fact I think he was part of the folly of fallen heels that Lesnar decimated.

It was Raw, not even a PPV. It may have lasted that long because they were running short for a change or maybe they were waiting for the College Football Championship to go to overtime. WWE likes Kevin Owens but they haven't "made" him yet.

If they really wanted to make him they would have had him turn face and help Reigns against the onslaught after he was tossed. Right now nothing is confirmed based on his recent booking.

Keving Owens is set to be THE heel of the company in the near future, as Roman's set to be THE face.

Last night we saw the beginning of whats going to be the rivarly of this new WWE's generation.

Im not saying thats its great or not, just stating the fact that these two guys are selected to be the next top stars.

I LOVE Owens and was thrilled to see him last that long with Reigns.

I fully expected his part of the match to last all of 2 minutes before Ambrose ran out to avenge the earlier attack and remove Owens from the picture altogether.

It was a pretty good match. In this match, both the guys put each other over. They increased their credibilty smartly. And Yes! Kevin Owens is the best heel WWE has today because he comes off as natural heel.

Also I read some people said that Owens is not a good heel because he is being cheered. Nopes. He is an awesome heel and audience just respects his work as a heel and cheers him as a sign of respect.

I think Kevin Owens solidified Kevin Owens.

It was a welcome change to see a gauntlet beatdown, end up just being a beatdown, and not a "WATCH PEOPLE GET KO'D BY 1 PUNCH LOL BURIED" match, and it's one of those times that WWE booked away from the tradition (The everyone vs Roman booking was almost identical to SCSA from years ago) rather than just copying an episode of RAW from 1998 and replacing Stone Cold with Roman Reigns.

Creating a megaheel will create better Babyfaces, until an actual wrestler can hang with HHH and Vince in the top heel category, all the faces will just be bland.

I like Kevin Owens, but damn, the IWC is riding his d**k really really hard. It's to the point where it's making me not like him lol. These times are so bad that we are desperate to find the top guys and not let them develop properly.

FYI, Seth Rollins is the company's top heel. He's sidelined yes, but until then unfortunately Sheamus is. Brock Lesnar too I guess if you can count him even though he's part-time.

Owens is up and coming, but he needs a lot of work. His recent freak out on Neville was gold, and the beatdowns he gives Ambrose are also money...he needs to keep running with it. I also like how he's changed his tone...going from a weak sounding dude to a p*ssed off freak who has snapped. He needs to keep turning the volume up, and the writers need to keep creating situations that will push him over the edge so that he comes back blazing.

One thing he needs to stop doing is begging for matches with Brock or Undertaker at Mania. He needs to earn it... do something that gets you separated from the rest the way guys like Rollins, Cm Punk, and Daniel Brian did. Step up and grab the brass ring. Until then, stop begging....makes you look weak.

He's on the right track, but there's plenty of work to be done...let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I like Kevin Owens, but damn, the IWC is riding his d**k really really hard. It's to the point where it's making me not like him lol. These times are so bad that we are desperate to find the top guys and not let them develop properly.

FYI, Seth Rollins is the company's top heel. He's sidelined yes, but until then unfortunately Sheamus is. Brock Lesnar too I guess if you can count him even though he's part-time.

Owens is up and coming, but he needs a lot of work. His recent freak out on Neville was gold, and the beatdowns he gives Ambrose are also money...he needs to keep running with it. I also like how he's changed his tone...going from a weak sounding dude to a p*ssed off freak who has snapped. He needs to keep turning the volume up, and the writers need to keep creating situations that will push him over the edge so that he comes back blazing.

One thing he needs to stop doing is begging for matches with Brock or Undertaker at Mania. He needs to earn it... do something that gets you separated from the rest the way guys like Rollins, Cm Punk, and Daniel Brian did. Step up and grab the brass ring. Until then, stop begging....makes you look weak.

He's on the right track, but there's plenty of work to be done...let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I agree with this. It seems everyones success is measured on if they're in the main event or not. Despite Owens being a veteran in pro wrestling he's a rookie on the main stage. He's not a household name like a Sting was upon his signing so I don't see what's so wrong with building him up in the mid card ranks. The mid card is undermined and for reasons unknown is viewed as holding a talent back. He is on the right track and the WWE has done a good job in building him up along the way - they set the tone from the beginning on where he's headed in the long run and I don't understand from a fan's perspective why there's not a level of patience with his build. People argue allowing talent to go over and build up 'organically' but are wanting him to be main eventing by WM. Makes no sense. Since Rollins going down and Sheamus being pushed down the card his push as a top heel just really began at the beginning of this year.

Regardless of the rub or whatever Kevin Owens got last night, I don't reckon it was something good to the storyline on the whole. Kevin Owens is on a feud with Dean Ambrose and he should stay in that confined surrounding And shouldn't have been out there. After that brutal segment closing Smackdown last week, Kevin Owens being out there without Ambrose doesn't impress me at all.

Or you know, to send a further message to Dean Ambrose about how he's better... Kevin Owens just dominates Roman Reigns and uses that as to his reasoning as to why he's better than Ambrose. Basically, the same way Sheamus has been bullying Ambrose and the Usos to make a statement towards Roman Reigns; Kevin Owens can do the same to Reigns to make a statement towards Ambrose. It's basic war strategy really.

It was Kevin Owens and Roman Reigns for about the 8th time in a chinlock for 10 minutes leading to a fuck finish.

Kevin beating the piss out of Dean has done far more for Kevin as a possible main event wrestler than this skidmark of a segment.

Kevin Owens carried Roman the entire match. Roman didn't do anything. Kevin did all the work. Roman was doing the exact stereotypical Cena match where he gets his butt kicked for 20 minutes straight then does his 2 moves of doom to win. Except before he got to his two moves, Lesnar came out.

I promise you, if Lesnar did not come out, Roman would have beat Owens out of nowhere and then steamrolled through the other 9 heels because they were all jokes. Ascension? LOL who else? I don't even remember because the roster is so weak for heels right now.

It was still a good segment, but lets give credit where credit is due. Kevin Owens and Brock Lesnar deserve all the praise. Roman ruined the ending by doing his mocking laughter at Lesnar. Like why would anyone smile after being destroyed by Lesnar?! That ruins it. Roman should have been mad.

Kevin Owens carried Roman the entire match. Roman didn't do anything. Kevin did all the work. Roman was doing the exact stereotypical Cena match where he gets his butt kicked for 20 minutes straight then does his 2 moves of doom to win. Except before he got to his two moves, Lesnar came out.

I promise you, if Lesnar did not come out, Roman would have beat Owens out of nowhere and then steamrolled through the other 9 heels because they were all jokes. Ascension? LOL who else? I don't even remember because the roster is so weak for heels right now.

It was still a good segment, but lets give credit where credit is due. Kevin Owens and Brock Lesnar deserve all the praise. Roman ruined the ending by doing his mocking laughter at Lesnar. Like why would anyone smile after being destroyed by Lesnar?! That ruins it. Roman should have been mad.

I'll address your first 2 paragraphs 1st:

Instead of looking at this as "Roman did nothing....it was all Owens..." why not take this as Owens administering a hell of a beating, thus solidifying himself as a dominant heel? My perspective was that "hey this guy is putting the hurt on the world champion, proving he isn't strictly a mid-card guy anymore".

Like you said, when there is a match stipulation such as a gauntlet/all against one match, you would assume the stereotypical '20 min face buttkicking then the face goes super saiyan and bulldozes through the entire roster but eventually the odds are too much for him' sort of scenario. What we got instead was the exact opposite thus simultaneously building up a performer (Owens) who in all creative purposes honestly had no logical reason to be a part of the main event storyline and secondly not come out looking so strong.

How else do you expect, in this case, a powerful heel to get over if he doesn't administer ruthless beatings of a top face. The problem is lately all we have all grown too accostomed to the latter Rick Flare-esq cowardly do-anything-to-win heel persona (see Rollins) and not the former (see Lesnar/Mark Henry-hall of pain)

However all you have manged to take away from that segment is 'Owens carrying Reigns'. What prey tell did you want Reigns to do instead if he is supposed to look like he's legitimently getting the Hell beat out of him?

Now as for your last paragraph:

Lesnar is supposed to look strong, remember he is the unstoppable, streak beating, can't-loose-a-match-cleanly Prize fighter.

That's how he has been perpetuated during this WWE run, hence the statement of him being able to mow down pretty much the whole heel roster on his own. His appearance was to build intrigue and get people excited about watching the rumble. So of coarse he is going to do a lot of the heavy lifting per-se.

Now the smile Roman gives to Lesnar after the F5 is used as throwback to Wrestlemania last year, remember no matter what Lesnar did to Roman during that match he wouldn't stay down and smile as a sign of defiance? It could have also been used as 1: a show of thanks from Roman to Lesnar for in his own way (lesnar) helping him out when Roman was in dire need off assistance or 2: to say 'alright you got one over me this time, I'll see you at the rumble and this time I'll beat you'. Again this is charecter development and also building Roman as a viable face against a heel/tweener Lesnar.

Furthermore you neglected to mention that lesnar smiled back at Reigns, why is it match ruining if Reigns does it but not lesnar?

Breaking that fact down from an objective point of veiw can be interpreted as brock being brock enjoying inflicting pain or something else entirely like maybe a show of respect. We won't know until it is explored later in the month. So to say the smile was a weak point in the segment just shows in my opinion ignorence or an automatic knee-jerk reaction as a means to further the whole "let's hate on Reigns" movement that is currently all the rage with the IWC.

Suming up;
Dude stop looking for ways of bringing down a potentially intriguing stroyline due to being an anti-WWE machine, tunnel visioned Internet darling fan. Give the talent, in this case, Roman Reigns a chance to ride it out and if the storyline is a bust afterwards directly because Reigns is champion, by all means hate away. Until then just enjoy or not enjoy the ride....

Moving on:

In my opinion it was a fantastic segment, it defiantly helped solidify Owens as a potential top tier level heel, but I just wanted to touch base on what may have been missed during the aftermath. I for one noticed Lesnars physical exchange of blows with Owens and Shemus, both of whom the IWC and the superstars themselves have been chewing at the bit to see a match come to fruition between the 3 parties.

Now I may be reading too much into this but to me it seemed as if creative may be testing the water to see if these matches may be well received by the audience. Reason being is that not only did Owens get a rub from just being in the ring with Lesnar but out of all the heels that attacked lesnar in the ring, Owens and Shemus seemed to hold their own for a while. What do you guys think?

Moving on:

In my opinion it was a fantastic segment, it defiantly helped solidify Owens as a potential top tier level heel, but I just wanted to touch base on what may have been missed during the aftermath. I for one noticed Lesnars physical exchange of blows with Owens and Shemus, both of whom the IWC and the superstars themselves have been chewing at the bit to see a match come to fruition between the 3 parties.

Now I may be reading too much into this but to me it seemed as if creative may be testing the water to see if these matches may be well received by the audience. Reason being is that not only did Owens get a rub from just being in the ring with Lesnar but out of all the heels that attacked lesnar in the ring, Owens and Shemus seemed to hold their own for a while. What do you guys think?

Maybe it was just me, but I was legitimately pissed when the Wyatt Family was nowhere to be found during this moment. I was just waiting for that Brock vs. Strowman stare down. It would've had the crowd erupting in my opinion, just so they can see Lesnar display his physical strength and single handedly drop the man who's never been dropped. Or even to see the ruthless juggernaut of Bray's army stand tall against the Beast Incarnate. I also realize that Strowman isn't anywhere near the caliber of star for a feud to happen with Lesnar. Still, it would've been dank as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back