Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r1-americanbeautyvfellowship_zps24f87617.jpg

Round 1: Lord of the Ring: Fellowship of the Ring vs. American Beauty

Polls will close on Saturday, October 20 at 12:00am(ish) ET.​

Easiest choice in the world for me.

On one hand you have a beautiful, life affirming story about a man waking from his mid-life crisis and just going about it the wrong way. In hindsight Kevin Spacey's last scene, as he understand what truly makes him happy, is both gorgeous and heartbreaking in it's tragedy. Nothing I say really does the film justice, it's a film that has to be seen for the quality of the performances.

On the other hand, you have the boring LotR's film. Walk a lot, talk a bit, fight a bit, it's a setup film where not much happens and it really isn't that entertaining in comparison to the 2 films that followed it. Gollum was always the most interesting thing in the 3 films and the lack of his presence is noticeable.

I saw American Beauty for the first time the other day. I loved it. I loved how concise it was. There's no fat on that movie. American Beauty is dramatic and funny and smart and zany, but it doesn't feel the need to smack you over the head with it. It's so deliberate. If it weren't, it might come over as pretty obnoxious, but it uses its time and doesn't wear out its welcome. Good ol' Sam Mendes - he's a good director and he makes everything look, well, 'calender pretty.'

Fellowship of the Ring is the best Lord of the Rings film. It's before Peter Jackson got obsessed with sweeping shots of New Zealand and "Aw, look at how big this CG army is! It's so big!" And it didn't have any fucking ents. It always confused me how Gollum looked so good and every other bit of CG looked so shit. I don't really have that much else to say. You've all seen Lord of the Rings, right? Yeah, cool.

Comparing the two is like comparing AJ Styles to a fine mahogany clock. The choice is probably American Beauty but either winning wouldn't really be offensive.

I agree with Sam, but I'm a little confused as to why there's a 2/3 split. Both films are fantastic, in two completely different ways. Interesting to see the movie that isn't as widely known getting all the love this time.

I cast my vote for the Fellowship though. It really a perfect adventure movie. Once you get past Elijah Wood starring longingly into the camera, doing his best Toby McGuire impersonation, it's quite good. One of the best cast movies I've seen too. You think LOTR and it conjures images of Orlando Bloom, Ian McKellen, maybe Christopher Lee. But how good is Billy Boyd? Sean Bean? Hugo mf'n Weaving! Everyone down to the secondaries and tertiary roles were cast perfectly. I don't know if there has ever, or will ever be again, a better adaption of an already iconic book series.

American Beauty gets my vote. It's a beautiful film with Kevin Spacey providing one of the best performances I have ever seen. It's a film that people can relate to, at least to some degree. "I'll be dead in a year, in a way, I'm dead already." This line sets the tone for the entire film and allows me to feel empathy for him throughout the movie when he starts lusting after this teenage daughters friend or when he goes to work at the fast food restaurant. Everything in the film clicks and the ending is truly superb.

Fellowship of the Ring is probably the best out of the three, but that's not saying much as the other two were shit. The cast for the movie was actually pretty good, except Elijah Wood who almost ruins the film for me. Some parts of the movie do drag and some scenes do bore me, but the solid acting from the cast more specifically Ian McKellen and Sean Bean managed to hold my interest. A very good film which unfortunately gets overrated. Oh, and did I mention that Elijah Wood is fucking terrible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back