Ryder Revolution Delayed

akrassikauda

#Evil Empire
I was watching some episodes of The Tommy Dreamer TV and he addressed the haters who say he's copying off of Zack Ryder. Dreamer says how much he liked Ryder and he gave Zack what we all thought was Zach's big opportunity in retiring him. Now today I was browsing pwinsider.com and ran into today in wrestling history here's an excerpt

Zack Ryder comes out with Rosa Mendes for his match and walks past Swagger.

We see Zack talking to Dreamer two weeks ago when he said that he wanted to finish Dreamer’s career.

Match Number One: Zack ‘Morris’ Ryder and Rosa ‘Tori’ Mendes versus Tommy Dreamer

They lock up and Dreamer with a side head lock and shoulder tackle. Dreamer blocks a hip toss and hits one of his own followed by an arm drag into an arm bar. Dreamer clotheslines Ryder over the top rope to the floor and Rosa distracts Dreamer on the apron and Ryder pulls Dreamer to the floor from the apron. They return to the ring and Ryder gets a near fall and then he punches Dreamer before he puts Dreamer in a reverse chin lock. Dreamer with a near fall but Ryder hits the leg lariat and gets a near fall of his own. Ryder sends Dreamer into the turnbuckles and he kicks Dreamer in the face. Ryder goes up top and Dreamer punches Ryder and Dreamer hits a superplex. Dreamer punches Ryder and then hits a back body drop and a clothesline followed by a slam. Dreamer gets a near fall. Dreamer with an Irish whip but Dreamer runs into a boot. Dreamer catches Ryder coming off the turnbuckles and he catapults Ryder into the ring post. Dreamer puts Ryder in the Tree of Woe and hits the E-C-fn-W drop kick. Dreamer takes off his shirt and Ryder goes to the apron and drops Dreamer against the ropes and Ryder hits the Zack Attack for the three count.
Winner: Zack Ryder

Now at that time Ryder was heel,he was already in the Long Island Iced Z Woo Woo Woo mode and what made him stand out was his unique tights. This was the moment WWE should have started to work with Ryder's character but by putting him on the back burner they delayed his growth. He went from wrestling in front of thousands to almost being future endeavored. My thoughts are WWE fumbled the ball and Ryder had to pick it up.

Thoughts?

*side note* also this day in wrestling history before the finger poke of doom HBK laid down for HHH to become the new European champion on a taped edition of RAW. That Raw drew a rating of 3.1 while a live Nitro drew a rating of 3.5 but we'll save that for another thread

I attended this taping live, and it really could of been big for zack ryder just like you are saying but the truth is that the match did very little for alot of the fans in attendance. At the end of the match we stood to give Tommy Dreamer a standing ovation seeing as it was what appeared to be his last match. A person behind us told us to sit down and that the match wasn't even good. I think alot of the fans don't quite realize what Dreamer has done for wrestling and therefore was not as significant in the fans eyes as wwe and older fans would have hoped. As for Ryder his push did come and that is the important thing

If I remember correctly, there were some backstage rumors that Ryder was getting a lot of bad rep because he was gassing up too easy in his matches with Shelton Benjamin back on ECW. I'm not sure if any of that is true, but it is probable and it makes sense considering it's wrestling and most people in the sport should be able to work a 60 Minute match if need be (another bar set by Ric Flair).

Even still, I think the timing of it was just perfect and unlike then, now WWE knows that Zack Ryder IS devoted to his career and that he CAN make himself and WWE some major bucks.

If I remember correctly, there were some backstage rumors that Ryder was getting a lot of bad rep because he was gassing up too easy in his matches with Shelton Benjamin back on ECW. I'm not sure if any of that is true, but it is probable and it makes sense considering it's wrestling and most people in the sport should be able to work a 60 Minute match if need be (another bar set by Ric Flair).

Even still, I think the timing of it was just perfect and unlike then, now WWE knows that Zack Ryder IS devoted to his career and that he CAN make himself and WWE some major bucks.

When Zack Ryder was traded to RAW, I remember seeing him have matches against John Morrison, competing in some tag matches on RAW and even being in a Fatal 4 way for the US title. But after a good number of appearances on RAW, he slowly faded from TV by the end of 2010 to 2011, probably because of what was mentioned in the above quote. Even when Ryder made a rare appearance on RAW, he was getting booed, so that was enough evidence that he was over. However, if not for his show, I don't think he would be as popular as he is now.

As someone said before, after WWECW ended and Ryder was moved to RAW he started to fade away. A lot of the guys from ECW like Ryder and Ezekiel became nobodies after the end of WWECW but this year they've both gotten some notoriety. My concern is that there was so much build up for Ryder and so much passion for a title shot and now that he go it, its like - what next? I hope he doesnt fade again but Ryder just seems like that one hit wonder kind of guy, like Santino, that only become slightly relevant when needed. I feel that if they would've giving him a run after WWECW he could've been something of a more colorful Cody Rhodes.

I think that the guys in the back have to push themselves more and stop relying on creative to just thrust them in the main event scene. That is what the problem is, guys like Zack Ryder, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, the guys that have held mid card titles understand that there is a ladder that a wrestler needs to climb into to get in with the crowds. The more they chase the gold and make it mean something the more that the feuds mean something. The fans eventually get used to seeing these guys and get more interested in it. Now there are quite few heels in the back that can challenge Ryder for the gold just as soon as things finish up with Ziggler and his rematch clause.

WWE seems to get lackadaisical when it comes to ideas that should be pushed, like pushing someone when it's obvious that they connect with the fans. I realize they don't want anyone to interfere with Orton or Cena's stance as the biggest names in the biz, but I think all we really want is to see our favorites used in some way.

Everytime I sit through a stupid Teddy Long or John Laurinitis promo, I think about what they could have done differently with their time.

I'm just thankful. Not just for Zack Ryder getting to be a midcard champion, but that the midcard championships are actually being recognized now. They've been trading the belts in ill-hyped matches on Raw and Smackdown and from my memory, until the last one, havent realistically hyped an Intercontinental or United States Championship match at a PPV. Remember when a Brutus Beefcake vs Honky Tonk Man Intercontinental match was hyped like it was Ali vs Foreman?

As someone said before, after WWECW ended and Ryder was moved to RAW he started to fade away. A lot of the guys from ECW like Ryder and Ezekiel became nobodies after the end of WWECW but this year they've both gotten some notoriety. My concern is that there was so much build up for Ryder and so much passion for a title shot and now that he go it, its like - what next? I hope he doesnt fade again but Ryder just seems like that one hit wonder kind of guy, like Santino, that only become slightly relevant when needed. I feel that if they would've giving him a run after WWECW he could've been something of a more colorful Cody Rhodes.

I think it's creative's call on whether or not he has staying power. He's the type of guy who the fans believe they rescued from the chopping block, so they're not about to abandon him just because his momentum fizzles. I can see him being the champion who takes on all comers, which means those dwindling in the doldrums like Tyler Reks and Derrick Bateman get to show some mettle in promos and matches regarding someone who the fans are already passionate about.

I actually thought he had a push coming during his matches with Christian on ECW. At the time, Christian was the ECW Champion, so beating him would have been a big deal for Ryder.

He came close to beating Christian the first time they fought. Then came the second time, when the title was actually on the line. Ryder came even closer to winning this time, but still lost that match too. Those were some great few matches they had. But after that particular championship match, Ryder's push seemed to have faded away.

If I can recal there were some backstage rumors that Ryder was getting a lot of bad rep because he was gassing up too easy in his matches with Benjamin back on ECW. I'm not sure if any of that is true, but it is probable and it makes sense considering it's wrestling and most people in the sport should be able to work a 60 Minute match if need be wrestling streams (another bar set by Ric Flair).

Even still, I think the timing of it was just perfect and unlike then, now WWE knows that Zack Ryder IS devoted to his career and that he CAN make himself and WWE some major bucks. He won the title now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back