The Obama administration vs. Fox News

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
Anita Dunne, the White House director of communications, has declared war against Fox News. She calls the network an arm of the Republican party. Now, some of you will agree with this thought, even though I have shown study after study in the past declaring them the fairest of the networks. That isn't the issue here. My question is, is it a wise political move for an administration to go to war against a television network?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I would like to cite several articles from Foxnews.com.

I will start by detailing the battle. Anita Dunn went on CNN and stated the Fox was not a legitimate news source.

Really? The commentators on Fox are conservative. The network was started that way, as an answer to CNN and MSNBC, which slant left, and according to a Harvard study, slant further left than Fox does right. Fine, I will grant you this point. But, please, tell me, Ms. Dunn, which story that they've run has been untrue? Is the education czar not a NAMBLA sypathizer? Is Van Jones not a communist? Did ACORN not offer advice, in multiple offices, on how to dodge taxes, run a brothel, and smuggle underage prostitutes into the country?

Foxnews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/18/white-house-escalates-war-fox-news-1925819282/

The White House stopped providing guests to "Fox News Sunday" after host Chris Wallace fact-checked controversial assertions made by Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs, in August.

Dunn said fact-checking an administration official was "something I've never seen a Sunday show do."

"She criticized 'Fox News Sunday' last week for fact-checking -- fact-checking -- an administration official," Wallace said Sunday. "They didn't say that our fact-checking was wrong. They just said that we had dared to fact-check."

"Let's fact-check Anita Dunn, because last Sunday she said that Fox ignores Republican scandals, and she specifically mentioned the scandal involving Nevada senator John Ensign," Wallace added. "A number of Fox News shows have run stories about Senator Ensign. Anita Dunn's facts were just plain wrong."

Ms. Dunn, what is wrong with Chris Wallace fact checking your administration? Should they allow you to lie, or should he catch you like he did? Isn't this a service to the nation? Isn't it the responsibility of a news network to fact check everything that goes on the air?

Ms. Dunn is completely out of line in her assertion that other news networks shun Fox because they fact checked the administration. Perhaps Fox speaks for the people who are tired of being lied to by the administration. This administration promised transparency in government, yet refuses to put any copies of the health care plan online. The simple fact is that the elderly are against this plan, the middle aged are against the plan, and the youth are for it. The fear of the administration is that if the bill is available online for the public, the youth might read it, realize that 10% of their money, on top of taxes will go to the public health care or they will have to pay a fine. The administration feels that the youth might revolt against them, so they hide the truth in hopes of maintaining the 48% approval rating they enjoy now. Is this transparency in government, or is this an administration lying to the people to pass a plan that they tried to ramrod down America's throat just this summer. What is the need to expedite legislation that doesn't take effect until 2013?

Ms. Dunn has been offered an avenue to call Fox on the lies she claims they tell. Enter Glen Beck's red phone.

Now, I know she won't call, but ever since Fox went on the offensive, I haven't heard the administration mention a specific lie. They have several daily press briefings, and multiple outlets to broadcast these lies, but they haven't done so. I believe the administration thought that they could count on support for their wild theory without actually checking on it first. Democratic strategists, from Donna Brazille to David Gergen have all called this a bad political move. The administration seems to think to alienating the number one news networks viewers is a good idea. They feel that these are votes they weren't getting anyway, but according to democratic pollster, Dick Morris, this is untrue. His polling indicates that Fox News' viewership consists of 50% conservatives, 30% liberals, and 20% moderates. Rasmussen's recent polling indicates that Obama is losing ground with moderates, and he is ignoring a large block of the people he needs to win a second term.

Obama has been avoiding the network. He has not been on it since an October 2008 interview with Bill O'Reilly. This interview has been credited with being the most fair interview Obama faced during his campaign.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1838954,00.html

The attacks are not having the desired effect. First of all, Fox News' ratings are up 20% since the attacks started. The old saying goes, that it is stupid to pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel, and Fox certainly has barrels to waste.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/po...dumb_war_with_fox_news.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Furthermore, the attacks are making the administration look weak. Why are they not out discussing issues? It's not Fox that keeps them from passing any legislation. They have a filibuster-proof majority in the senate, and a rock hard majority in the house. It's the disorganization of the party that keeps them from succeeding, and passing the blame looks petulant and childish. They are not getting credit for standing up for themselves, they are looking like kids who dropped their lollipop and told the teacher that it was stolen.

In conclusion, I think the administration would serve itself to go back to the issues and stop with the attacks. This is a battle they cannot win. Do they think that they are going to take down the largest media conglomerate in the world by accusing them of lies with no facts? Of course not. They are trying to distract Fox from reporting on the issues and hoping that the MSNBC lovefest is enough to save their staggering approval ratings and faltering agenda.

Reactions: gd
Even though I'm not Fox supporter, or MSNBC for that matter, I think this is just ridiculous. Why is a presidential adminstration wasting time waging a media war on a news outlet. This only supports the "Obama iz teh communist" stuff that's going around. Sure, Fox may criticize Obama and disagree with everything he does, but why should he care about them, or any other news station for that matter? The government should be more interested in getting things done that will help the people of this country instead of getting involved in petty, pointless arguments with a station that disagrees with them.

I don't really see the big deal. Every administration identifies their enemies and insults them, it's as old as the office of the President itself. Fact of the matter is, Fox is a right-wing network. Yeah, I know you like to deny that FTS, but it's true. Their news reporting is solid, but unfortunately their most watched and talked about programs are their commentary programs, all of which feature batshit crazy right-wingers. Of course Fox News is the communications arm of the Republican party, how can we even debate that? Same as MSNBC is the communications arm of the Democratic party. Each network caters to their side of the aisle, that's how it works.

Frankly I don't see the big deal here. It's not like they're going to start censoring Fox programs or something, they just went out there and said that Fox News is a partisan network, which it is. When he starts talking about trying to stop them from being able to spout their bullshit, then come and talk to me.

I have serious issues with this, in regards to the Obama administration's handling of the issue - or rather, the creation and subsequent mishandling of the issue.

The fact is, I don't like Fox News. I have a tendency to agree with some of the points the White House makes, in fact. I find an overmuch amount of bias, too much opinion, and disagree in general with conservative thought. This said - this is absolutely not an arena for the White House to step into.

It is entirely inexcusable for the White House to attack Fox News like this - it's censorious. I mean, the Obama administration is essentially saying that they really dislike dissenting arguments, and would rather that all the media portray them in a positive light. That's atrocious, and against every principle in the foundation of America. Most superstar Presidents have had a tremendous amount of media love and propaganda accompanying them, but it's important that the opposition have a voice - and this time, it's Fox, and it's important that Fox News continue to voice opposition.

The Obama administration attacking and attempting to silence their opposition is shameful, and in the end, will only serve to turn public interest against them and more towards their opposition. It's stupid from the perspective of garnering support for their party, capturing votes, and pushing their agenda, and it's downright immoral in respect to the basic principles of America.

Reactions: gd
But he is encouraging the other networks to stop pooling with Fox. He's not, but his talking heads are. This would make White House footage harder for Fox to get, thereby limiting access.

Thank God the other networks aren't buying this bullshit. The left has, oddly enough, come out in support of Fox. I don't understand this crazy batshit world, but it's happening.

Thank God the other networks aren't buying this bullshit. The left has, oddly enough, come out in support of Fox. I don't understand this crazy batshit world, but it's happening.

It's simple, really. The Main Stream Media will report what the government tells them to, until the government starts to step into censorship. They will lie to the American people, (Iraq War), but they won't stand for censorship. Even thieves and liars have to have their morals, right?

As far as what the White House is doing with Fox News...it'd be one thing if they attacked the pundits that are outright lying. Glenn Beck and Bill O' Reilly to name a few. Have your Press Secretary talk about how they and they alone are lying, name the lies, and leave it at that. Don't attack the entire network that has been scientifically shown to be unbiased as a news reporting agency. It's foolhardy, and it's going to leave you with pie on your face. Or, in this case, Beck as a Christian Republican Warrior against the big bad Maoist Stalin Racist that is in control of the White House.

Naming and defending against lies is one thing. Completely attacking a news agency is another.

But he is encouraging the other networks to stop pooling with Fox. He's not, but his talking heads are. This would make White House footage harder for Fox to get, thereby limiting access.

It's because they've found a more dangerous enemy. As a future journalist myself, one of the things I am most looking forward to is the right to write what I want without having to worry about being censored. When it comes to the networks, they know that Fox News is a partisan network that has a different stance then they do. But, when it comes to a potential case of censorship, that is a much bigger enemy then a network with a different political stance.

Does the Obama administration have the right to be upset with Fox News? I think they do. That network has a well-documented conservative bias, and will more than likely be a thorn in the president's side his entire term. With that said, however, this is the worst course of action they could have taken. By coming out and declaring this "war" on Fox, they bring more attention (read "viewers") to the network, and put it in a more sympathetic position. For the average person who knows little to nothing about Fox and the other cable news networks, it really looks as though Obama is trying to silence his critics in a borderline un-Constitutional way. This needs to be rectified as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back