The soundtrack of our lives.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
No, not the Swedish band that sound exactly the same as Oasis, but a soundtrack of your own life, with a song a year to reflect what you listened to that particular year. Don't just do a list, or this will be shite. It doesn't have to be a new song that year, just one that takes you back.

1987 - Dallas Theme Tune

I was born on New Year's Eve 1987, which doesn't really leave much of an oppurtunity for me to pick anything from that year. However, my mother was watching Dallas when she went into labour, so this seems fitting.

1991 - Enter Sandman, Metallica

I've missed the intermittent years because I don't really remember much of them, my third birthday, on December 31st 1990 is the earliest memory I can date. I chose this because my brother was really into it at the time and he used to always listen to it. It's actually pretty good, too.

1992 - 2 Legit 2 Quit, MC Hammer

This is not very good, but in his early 90s wisdom my brother thought that it was and bought it twice. He bought it the second time because the tape player chewed up the original cassette after we played it on full blast when my parents were at a parents evening.

1993 - Lithium, Nirvana

I remember practising my goal celebration to this song when I was about 5. I'd pretend that I had scored and then sang this. Again, my brother's influence was key, and again its a song that I still like now.

1994 - You'll Never Walk Alone, Gerry and the Pacemakers

In 1994, Tastycles stood on the Kop at Anfield, which probably makes me one of the youngest people that ever did, which is very good. I used to go to Anfield all the time, and they play this song before every match, which is obviously why it has importance to me. Also, the message is pretty good, even if it is just a Rogers and Hammerstein song.

1995 - Wonderwall, Oasis

It was a toss up between Oasis and Blur, the first two bands that I was into off my own accord. I think I always liked Blur more, but this is the song that everyone loved, isn't it? Also, probably the first song that I want to admit to knowing all the words to, and in later life one of the first songs I learnt on the guitar.

1996 - Teenager in Love, Dion and the Belmonts

We used to know this man called Colin who owned probably 80% of all music ever made. Well, obviousy not, but his house was full of cassette tapes, and he used to give my mum them all the time. Invairably they had a Dion song on them, and I still really like Dion as a result, and we always used to listen to it in the car, so it gets picked here.

1997 - Whiter Shade of Pale, Procul Harum

My mum died in early 1997, and this was her favourite song and was played at her funeral. I still listen to the song now, unsuprisingly it makes me very sad, due to the fact that it is depressing and it was played at the most upsetting funeral I'll ever go to. It's quite good though.

1998 - Just the two of us, Will Smith

After my mother died, my dad started to work away and my brother was away in the navy, so I had to live with friends of the family. When my brother came back on leave, we would listen to this album and the miseducation of Lauryn Hill. While this is a bit crap, really, and Lauryn Hill is the best R&B album ever, the topic of the song means that it gets picked.

1999 - Blue (Da ba dee), Eiffel 65

I haven't even decided what the remaining songs will be, but I sincerely doubt that they will be any worse than this. I joined military school in 1999, hating it before I even started. This song was number 1 at the time, and people played it loads. Totally shit, much like the time I was having.

2000 - Dancing in the Moonlight, Toploader

Another piece of shit, and I had to look up the name before putting it here. However, the year below me insisted on playing this every morning for an entire school year, so it would have been unfair not to include it, in a way.

2001 - Genocide, Offspring

By this age, people had started to listen to stuff that was a bit better, including this, which I think is a very good punk song. I was becoming much more musically aware myself, but this wasn't one of mine. I listen back to it now occaisionally, but I doubt the people who listened to it at the time do, funny that.

2002 - Time Bomb, Rancid

All of my friends, though not me, oddly, were heavily into ska punk. This is a manifestation of that. I have got a lot more into it recently, and again, I imagine I listen to it more than any of my friends at the time.

2003 - How soon is now?, The Smiths

One of the best songs ever written and the song that began my realisation of music that wasn't totally dog shit. The Smiths to this day are one of my top 2 bands, probably top 1, and this song is where it all began. I reckon I listened to this song on repeat for about 2 hours when I first heard it.

2004 - A Lover Sings, Billy Bragg

I was really into Billy Bragg in the lower sixth, probably because thelyrics are quite "lower sixth" as it is cool to say now. I don't listen to it as much, probably because I'm not lame with the ladies anymore, but they are still some of the best written songs I've ever listened to. This was the only one I like on Spotify, hence its choice.

2005 - Lately, By Stevie Wonder

I used to sing this to the (female) subject of my most volatile friendship. It just brings me back to that. It's also probably the best jilted love song anyone has ever written, and he's blind!

2006 - LDN, Lily Allen

I saw Lily Allen live that summer, despite even trying to watch Lethal Bizzle to ignore it. I ended up enjoying it immensely, and I fell in love a little bit and the fact that I moved to London in 2006 makes this ever more relevant.

2007 - Music is my hot hot sex, Cansei de ser Sexy

This song is catchier than chlamydia, and I had it in my head for my entire first year of uni. It reminds me of when I first started going out with my girlfriend, and that sounds more inappropriate than it did in my head.

2008 -A design for life - Manic Street Preachers

I always liked the Manics, and when they blew everyone else I saw at Glastonbury completely out of the water, I got back into them. I decided at the time that this was the best song ever written, but I'm not even sure it is the best song from the album it is on now. Either way, I loved it.

2009 - Edge's entrance music

I started to watch wrestling again last year, after a seven year hiatus, and this song grew on me througout the period. As 2009 will be the first year since 1998 that I have watched wrestling religiously throughout, it seems only right to have a wrestling song in it.

If you have spotify you can listen to it here...
http://open.spotify.com/user/milkymoon/playlist/20tX7lUcFNrFtyVjiDxi4e

Reactions: X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back