TNA Region, Edmonton Subregion, Second Round: (5) Ricky Steamboat vs. (12) DDP

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Ricky Steamboat

• Diamond Dallas Page

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the TNA Region, Edmonton Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at Rexhall Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

53_Rexall_Place_Exterior

ricky-steamboat.png

#5. Ricky Steamboat

Vs.

ddpyoga1.jpg

#12. Diamond Dallas Page

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

My first instinct is to vote for the Dragon. And I'm still leaning that way. But if people were adamant about voting Steamboat over the massively overrated Christian, I can foresee even more of a split against DDP. Page was at one point arguably WCW's most popular star. Holding the belt a few times, and even has a rare victory over Goldberg [IIRC.] Though his popularity came during the company's waning years, and his run in the WWE was a joke in comparison.

I'm split. So I'm leaving myself up for some persuasion.

It seems so obvious to go for Steamboat on this one, but the reality is, he doesn't deserve it. DDP won more, and was more over with his audience than Steamboat ever was. There's probably no greater a team player than Steamboat - he's done everything required of him for years - but he never really established himself at the top of the card. DDP did, and I'd like to see him continue in this tournament.

Ricky Steamboat was a much better technical wrestler.

Aaaaaaaaand that's it. DDP was on top for longer, has a better resume, greatly outshines Steamboat in charisma, he had a way better finisher, and he was in Ready to Rumble.

Vote DDP or Die, bitches.

Ricky Steamboat is mostly remembered for 2 things. His amazing series against Ric Flair and his match against Macho Man at Wrestlemania 3.

DDP was amazingly over in WCW during the Monday Night Wars. He was better on the mic, had more charisma, had more championships, and was a better draw. I like Steamboat, but he shouldn't win this match.

Vote DDP.

My initial thought was that I'd be voting Steamboat but the more I think about it, DDP is becoming my more likely pick.

I wouldn't say either guy was the "face" of their organisation but both were extremely popular with fans and still are today whenever they pop up on TV. I'd say Steamboat is the better athlete but I hugely respect DDP for making it to the top of WCW when becoming an active in-ring competitor at a much older age than most.

Page has the better resume in terms of Championship success, but I think Steamboat's 1 NWA World Title was a bigger achievement than DDP's multiple short WCW Championships... and picking a side here is proving tougher than I thought.

I can't even use their ring music to sway me either way, both had great entrance themes. Dammit this is hard.

Ermmm, the Diamond Cutter is a better finisher. There. DDP wins this.

To those trying to say that DDP won more? Here's their history

Steamboat

NWA World Champion
WWF Intercontinental Champion
Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Champion (x2)
NWA United States Champion (x4)
NWA/WCW Television Champion (x4)
NWA/WCW World Tag Team Champion (x8)
Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champion (x4)

Page

WCW World Champion (x3)
WCW United States Champion (x2)
WCW Television Champion
WCW World Tag Team Champion (x4)
WWF World Tag Team Champion
WWF European Champion

The ONLY thing DDP has over Steamboat in the championships department is the 3 World titles to 1. That should be a big deal... but DDP got his at a time when the promotion treated ALL of their titles as props to be passed around constantly in the hopes of improving ratings. Steamboat got his as the catalyst to the most critically acclaimed series of matches in history. DDP technically lost the title to David Arquette. Ricky Steamboat lost the title to a peak of his game Ric Flair.

Steamboat absolutely has the better championship resume.

Taking it a step further, here's the accolades each has received over their career

Steamboat

WWE Hall of Fame
WON Hall of Fame
Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame
NWA Hall of Fame
#13 of the top 500 wrestlers of the PWI years

Page

#65 of the top 500 wrestlers of the PWI years

Page is 4 years younger than Steamboat, but hasn't wrestled in a long time. Steamboat wrestled at Wrestlemania and multiple other shows when he was only 2 years younger than Page is now, and competed at an extremely high level.

It's no contest. Vote Steamboat. Better career. Better wrestler. Better athlete. Better everything.

I have never seen less fucks given for a match in the WZT. This purely upto preference, i'd give it to Steamboat.

I'll echo PG by saying I honestly don't care a great deal about this match.

Steamboat is a guy who's most notable career accolades are being a good worker and working long matches. But DDP is no slouch in that department either.

I'm voting DDP for entertaining me more personally, because it could go either way.

When did DDP become this huge star that warrants a big run in the tournament? I watched Page for a long time and saw him have a two or so year run where he was having good stuff. On the other hand, I saw Ricky Steamboat have great stuff for the better part of twenty years. Yeah Page is a three time World Champion, with three reigns combining for less than thirty days.

Page is an absolute saint after what he's done with Roberts and Hall, but calm down on the love for his in ring work. He was nothing until late 1996 when he was paired up with Eddie Guerrero, then he rose up the card on an awesome angle, but by 1999 he was just another old guy in a slew of them WCW had. Ricky Steamboat is......well he's Ricky Steamboat. He had classics with Flair, Savage, Austin, Vader, Rude and Pillman among others. Page had some very good matches with Savage and a very good match with Sting. After that, what else has he done to be on the level of the Dragon? Someone explain this to me because I really don't see it.

Steamboat was before my time, but I know about him than DDP. He was the IC champ when the title was almost on par with the WWE title, when Hogan pretty much held down a lot of guys due to his popularity and long runs with the strap. Not to mention his great matches with jus about everyone, including a contender for greatest match of all time against Savage.

DDP was WCW champ for some transitional reigns, but his in ring career was pretty short at the top. Maybe had he found his niche earlier in his career, he could have been a bigger star, but the fact remains he was pretty meh most of his career.

I'm voting Steamboat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back