TNA Region, San Antonio Subregion, First Round: (7) Dory Funk Jr. vs. (26) The Sheik

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dory Funk Jr.

• The Sheik

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, San Antonio Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas.

attcenter_0.jpg

dory-funk-jr-picture-5.jpg

#7. Dory Funk Jr.

Vs.

11.jpg

#26. The Sheik

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Curling

Logic: The interesting thing about curling is that it can take the most uninteresting people and make them interesting to watch. Seriously, if you ever catch it on TV during the winter Olympics you just can't look away. Now, look at The Sheik. By his name alone I already find him interesting. Dory Funk Jr. on the other hand looks as plain as they come. Curling fairs well for the average looking fellow.

Winner: Dory Funk Jr.

Hmmm.

Eddie Farhat was good in the Detroit Region and to be frank, I only know of his feud in Memphis besides that. Dory Funk Jr. was the NWA golden boy and a folk hero in Amarillo along with his father and brother. This is in Texas, I give it to Dory.

Eh. Couldn't really care less, I've voted for The Sheik because I think he's a more interesting character in the history of wrestling. I've got a bit more to say about Dory Funk, but given he'll go through and nobody is interested in this match, I shall leave it.

Sheik suffers from being a top territory star the same way Dick the Bruiser does in this thing. Except I would argue that the Bruiser was more popular. Dory Funk was the biggest wrestling star in the world during his NWA championship run, and was one of their better drawing champions. It was his success that allowed his father to push the NWA committee into allowing his younger brother Terry to be champion. So who knows where Terry Funk, and subsequently hardcore wrestling - that flourished while mooching off the past success of Terry - would be if big brother Dory hadn't of been there to open the door.

Voting Dory Funk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back