Unemployment

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
When you make more off of that, than you did the actual job you had, where is the desire to want to quickly find another job?

A friend of mine was with his job for almost 2 years, I believe, and the Company closed the store. (not the business) He is making more in unemployment, than he made on his actual paychecks. And.. he's getting unemployment checks, weekly, when he used to get paychecks bi-weekly.

So, when this works like it does - where is the desire to want to work so soon again? Can someone explain this?

I don't like this system either... They wanna know why unemployment is so high?? Ask a fucking circus monkey... Even he could figure this one out...

I'm not upset or knocking my friend for not being eager to jump back into the work force. Hey, he technically didn't lose his job. The store he worked at simply closed.

And technically, I think he has another job as well. Which, apparently, you can also have at the time you file for unemployment - since you're filing for 1 of 2 jobs you had at one time.

So.. let's recap.

He's..

1. Making more money doing nothing, than he made actually working.
2. Getting paid quicker, every week. Instead of bi-weekly.
3. Still has an actual job, so his "work history" won't be effected by sitting out getting a replacement 2nd job.

Yeah.. way to go whoever set-up that system. I guess this is a real stimulus package.

When you make more off of that, than you did the actual job you had, where is the desire to want to quickly find another job?

That's the same argument made against welfare system through the years. If you give a person everything for nothing, it destroys their incentive to earn it for themselves. Of course, I'm talking about the (many) folks who went on welfare and stayed for the rest of their lives. But as someone in this thread said, unemployment doesn't last forever.

Still, after it runs out, it's probably harder for the recipient to go back to work, when he gets less money than he received for doing nothing.

The unemployment runs out eventually right?

There are rules you must follow. And yes, after I believe a year or maybe (strong maybe) two, tops, it'll run out. I'll have to ask him to know fully.

The main rule though, is you must apply for a new job. Unfortunately, they didn't make this rule very clear which allows practically anyone to apply in asking for $15.00 an hour at a place where the top hourly employee makes maybe $10.00. Clearly that business won't be asking them to come work there, but they're following the rules of applying through loop-holes.

That's the same argument made against welfare system through the years. If you give a person everything for nothing, it destroys their incentive to earn it for themselves. Of course, I'm talking about the (many) folks who went on welfare and stayed for the rest of their lives. But as someone in this thread said, unemployment doesn't last forever.

Still, after it runs out, it's probably harder for the recipient to go back to work, when he gets less money than he received for doing nothing.

I think the Welfare argument is slightly different.

As it relates to Unemployment, the individual must show a sign of wanting to better themselves by having a job and lasting long enough to qualify for unemployment, first.

As far as Welfare, you just have to show your Government you're so unkept and unfit as a Human being, that you must have assistance or else you could become homeless, or die due to not having proper ways of feeding yourself.

Typically Welfare is for the handicap and slobs of the world. I'm not knocking it, some day I'll be old(er) and need it, quite possibly. Albeit, I could be mistaking this for Social Security. Either way, I do look forward to having myself a personal ass wiper again.

As far as becoming hard to go back to work, this I could agree with if it wasn't for the fact that he's still working an actual job along with collecting unemployment. So the transition to return to work shouldn't be too hard, albeit the fact that he'll have to work 2 jobs someday again (unless he finds one that'll cover making the full same amount) could pose the problem you're talking about. I know I sure wouldn't want to live off something for nothing for close to two years, then be forced (more or less) to return to working twice as hard for it.

Technically over here if you're not a student and working under 16 hours you're allowed welfare. A friend of mine works 15 hours a week, gets welfare, rent paid for, has two kids and is waaaaaaay better off than people in the same job who work 38 hours a week.

Technically over here if you're not a student and working under 16 hours you're allowed welfare. A friend of mine works 15 hours a week, gets welfare, rent paid for, has two kids and is waaaaaaay better off than people in the same job who work 38 hours a week.

Thats England though. No offense, but you guys are kinda fucked up over there. Everyone is considered legal and "adults" at like 16, right?

Still.. I have two kids. LOL No way would Erin want to move to England though. :lmao:

For every "horror" story like these where someone is abusing the system or benefitting from loopholes in it's structure, there are hundreds of thousands for which the money isn't quite enough but it keeps them from drowning. I've heard of people vacationing in Europe while collecting unemployment. Good for them. Does it mean the system doesn't work or should be scrapped? No, you'll just always have those kind of assholes in life.

So, when I leave college on Friday the government will give me money because I only work 8 hours? Sounds good.

For every "horror" story like these where someone is abusing the system or benefitting from loopholes in it's structure, there are hundreds of thousands for which the money isn't quite enough but it keeps them from drowning. I've heard of people vacationing in Europe while collecting unemployment. Good for them. Does it mean the system doesn't work or should be scrapped? No, you'll just always have those kind of assholes in life.

Why are they assholes though? Its not their fault the system has loop-holes. They didn't design it. And they aren't using it out of context. They're doing exactly what they were told to do..

Apply for jobs, take the ones you get offers for.

And in my friend's case, and his defense, he would've much rather kept the job that closed their store. He loved working there.

officially you're at college til the results come in

I hated being out of work, because my Mrs worked we got the basic £120 which we struggled with.

Being out of work is a pain in the ass. Not just the stress on you, but the struggle to explain to Companies after so long that you're worth highering.

Erin & I make enough to get by. I can't exactly say we're "struggling", since well.. we have the internet and a Dish bill that runs around $350.-400.00.

If we were in a rough spot, I'd likely know where to cut back to find the proper funds.

Why are they assholes though? Its not their fault the system has loop-holes. They didn't design it. And they aren't using it out of context. They're doing exactly what they were told to do..

Apply for jobs, take the ones you get offers for.

And in my friend's case, and his defense, he would've much rather kept the job that closed their store. He loved working there.

I apologize, I didn't mean to imply that your friend is an asshole. In this case, he's working still right? So the unemployment claim is to replace the income of the lost 2nd job. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the claim is valid for a shorter time. But whatever, he's still doing his thing, doing what he needs to do and was asked to do. He's doing fine, as far as I care.

The assholes are those that do stupid things like vacation or fund Dr. Gonzo benders and other such "horror" stories of welfare and unemployment.

There are rules you must follow. And yes, after I believe a year or maybe (strong maybe) two, tops, it'll run out. I'll have to ask him to know fully.

The main rule though, is you must apply for a new job. Unfortunately, they didn't make this rule very clear which allows practically anyone to apply in asking for $15.00 an hour at a place where the top hourly employee makes maybe $10.00. Clearly that business won't be asking them to come work there, but they're following the rules of applying through loop-holes.

Heh... In Arizona, you can go through a phone book and pick 2 places, claim you applied there, and just write down the name of the person you talked to. You don't even have to APPLY there.

I think the Welfare argument is slightly different.

As it relates to Unemployment, the individual must show a sign of wanting to better themselves by having a job and lasting long enough to qualify for unemployment, first.

As far as Welfare, you just have to show your Government you're so unkept and unfit as a Human being, that you must have assistance or else you could become homeless, or die due to not having proper ways of feeding yourself.

Typically Welfare is for the handicap and slobs of the world. I'm not knocking it, some day I'll be old(er) and need it, quite possibly. Albeit, I could be mistaking this for Social Security. Either way, I do look forward to having myself a personal ass wiper again.

I resent this comment though... I work an honest 40 hours a week, have 2 kids, and can BARELY make rent and bills. I pay child support for a 3rd child that will be 9 this year. Me and her mother separated years ago, and she ended up filing for child support. And, in Arizona, the Non-Custodial parent is forced to pay for health insurance for the child for whom the support order is established. So, after all is said and done, my paychecks are roughly 275-300.00 every 2 weeks. Without foodstamps, my family WOULD starve. There are tons of people who fuck the system, I know... But I work hard every day of my life and rely on this system for help. One day soon, I hope to be promoted to Management, and can hopefully shake this reliance I have on the state. But at least I'm trying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back