Video game-movie relations

Paralyzer Z

Fuck honor
Success in one department = success in another department

Or at least that is what the creators of both game-based films and film based games. Both are notorious for being bad, and when I mean bad I don't mean Micheal Jackson bad I mean BAD bad! Games based on popular movies are far more common than the other due to the popularity of movies. Some examples of these include many of the NES games, a shit load of the WII games, and jus about any kid or action movie you can think off.

But today I am here to see which ones are worse. 2 hour longs torture films based on the world of gaming or shitty games that were released just to cash in on the success of a much anticipated blockbuster of the year. Basically that unnecessarily long question is simplified below.

Which is worse, A bad video game based movie, or A bad movie based video game?

A shit load of the Wii games? Most 'blockbuster' movie to game release is accross all platforms and I would say there are more on the PS360 than the Wii but that's a moot point.

To answer your question simple one of the greatest games of all time is Goldeneye which is based on the movie. On the Megadrive there were games such as Lion King and Aladdin which were great fun and if you open up to TV you have games such as Tiny Toons and Tazmania that just rock my socks.

Games to film rarely work, some may say Resident Evil and others Advent children but as a whole a video game to movie adaptation doesn't work. I don't nee to list out Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Hitman, Max Payne, Doom, Alone in the Dark or even Postal. Looking on the list of films based on video games (released in cinemas) the highest rating was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

It's obvious why this is the case, you can control a video game but you can't control a Movie. Can you imagine a scene in a movie where Link wanders around looking for Poes?

Games to movies in my opinion are mostly worse than movies to games but both miss more than they hit. A lot of the time when a popular movie is made into a game it is already likely to make money so it seems that less attention is needed into actually making it a great game. As with everything there are always exceptions and Goldeneye is definitely one of those. TV shows becoming games follow the same rule pretty much... I loved Southpark on the Nintendo 64 and The Simpsons have produced some good games aswell as some awful ones. Beavis and Butthead on the Super Nintendo was a game I enjoyed as a kid. I have not played any PS3, Wii or Xbox 360 games so I am not sure how it goes nowdays.

Games to movies are mostly really bad and some of my favourite games have not been done justice on the big screen. I quite like Silent Hill.

I was going to say Video Game based on movie, until I remembered the Street Fighter movie with Jean Claude Van Damme. Man, that was bad. Then again the game produced alongside it, released on the Saturn, I think, looked terrible too. I will say though I think certain games, have unfairly gotten a bad rap just because they are based off movies. I just find it hard to believe that legitimate game developers cant possibly make at least one good movie game. Its almost like reviewers are just sitting and waiting to trash them on release day. The Spider-Man games for the PS2 based off the trilogy were pretty good, well at least the first two anyway.

Games into movies are usually one of my biggest pet peeves. Video games that garner a large gathering of fans and become a pop-culture icon, it would only make sense to ruin it with perhaps a really shitty movie. The best case of this would have to be the Mario & Luigi movie back in like '93 (I think.) Super Mario was one the best games to ever be disgraced by a movie adaption. The worst part was that the movie writers were "winging it" when it came to the plot. They were just writing whatever came to mind and put that shit film on the silver screen. I remember being 5 years old and renting that movie from blockbuster. After watching it with my parents I convinced my father to pay the expense of burning that piece of shit film in the microwave. Ever since then I have had sour reactions to movie's based on games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back