WCW Region, Osaka Subregion, First Round: (6) Mick Foley vs. (27) Gory Guerrero

Who wins this match?

• Mick Foley

• Gory Guerrero

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Osaka Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium in Osaka, Japan.

3445-L.jpg

foley.jpg

#6. Mick Foley

Vs.

fa16.jpg

#27. Gory Guerrero

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Here we have a luchador with a great wrestling family under him. Eddie, Hector, and Chavos Sr. and Jr. The man had great genes clearly but compared to his family (ok, not really Hector) he does have a weaker list of accomplishments. He faces Mick Foley who is a much much worse wrestler, he does have 3 WWF title runs under him and is one of the most entertaining wrestling characters of all time. It's actually interesting because Mick is a man truly outmatched by in ring talent but who's notoriety is far superior.

I think it's clear that Foley is the far bigger star and would come out on top here. It might be a close one but there is an intangible here that does secure a Foley win. The location here is listed as Osaka, Japan. Foley was huge wrestling hardcore deathmatches in the pacific for years. This isn't a weapons match but I think his popularity over there does come into play. Mick Foley wins this one.

The Gory special is a great looking submission hold. To be honest, that's all I know about him. Let's do some research. Damnit why does Eddie have "gory" as a middle name - making finding youtube clips of papa so hard.

I'm struggling here. Brief trips into main event, biggish name from a big family in Mexico, why exactly is he in this tournament? I guess he was super over in Mexico and his work with El Santo was great, but I can't find much about it. Owell.

Foley is another of my all time favourites. Such an infectious guy, I could listen to him on the mic for days and days and he's really entertaining in the ring too. Multiple time WWF champion during the most competitive time in WWF history imo - only an absolute who's-who of the attitude era got the strap during that time. Constantly in and around big feuds and a huge draw with great longevity.

Location advantage too for Mickles - he was revered in Japan. I've really tried to find something to convince me that Gory could give him a match, but I give up. Mick Foley is my unequivocal pick. If someone could educate me about Guerrero i'd appreciate it

Gory is one of those people to suffer from the Cowboy Bob Orton effect. That is to say, because of the success of their children, their own achievements are vastly inflated beyond where they should be. We always big up Savage for having won the WWF title during Hulkamania, but we should do the same for Foley. At Austin's peak popularity, Foley was the babyface in the title picture, while Austin feuded down the card. That's huge, and I think he would win this quite comfortably.

I know Gory was good, but how good was he? I know him because of his children and because he has a submission move named after him. Lack of knowledge is a hard thing to overcome in the tournament. Foley was a top guy for the top promotion during a hugely successful era so I'll take him over someone I don't know very well.

Gory's sperm might be a contender here. If this was a battle of Gory Guerrero's "baby boys" vs. Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy it would get interesting.

As it is however, Gory's accomplishments can't stack to Mick's three WWE title runs. Mick also has some of the most memorable moments of the last couple decades inside the ring. Gory's most memorable accomplishments were giving Herlinda some of the most productive nights she had inside the bedroom.

No disrespect to one of the great patriarchs of the wrestling business, but Gory's family legacy outshined his own, while Mick destroyed himself creating a legacy that few can outshine.

The guy famous for creating several offensive wrestling moves versus the guy famous for the amount of punishment he could take.

Gory was a legend in Mexico but not as a Heavyweight and he never managed to crack that particular ceiling. Foley was the last guy that fans of the WWF in the 80s would have ever picked to be a World Heavyweight Champion... and yet he has done it three times and has beaten genuine legends like the Undertaker, Terry Funk, the Rock, Steve Austin and Sting.

The layout to this match would be very simple, Gory would get to hit all his famous spots but wouldn't be able to put away the durable Foley who would ultimately strike with the mandible claw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back