Who Is The True WWE World Champion?

The "Blueprint"

Occasional Pre-Show
No this isn't about CM Punk vs. John Cena, but more so about the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship. Now we all know that the WWE championship is the most prestigious title in all of professional wrestling, but at the same time the World Heavyweight championship is not something to be taken lightly. I got this idea after watching this promo featuring NWA World Champion Harley Race and WWF Champion Bob Backlund.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YF67XhcTrM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

If the video doesn't show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YF67XhcTrM&feature=related

I don't think it would be a bad idea for the WWE to recreate this match featuring Christian/Randy Orton and CM Punk/John Cena. This would be a non-title Bragging Rights bout possibly featured at a big ppv such as Survivor Series (which is also at MSG) or the Royal Rumble.The question is whether or not the WWE Universe (YOU, obviously) would be interested in seeing this type of match today.

I would actually. Maybe when Bryan finally cashes in the MitB briecase he can have that match would Punk. Not just to determine who the real champion is. But also to determine who truly is "the best at the world".

They tried things like that before. At least one time. I think it was a Night of Champions when the WWE champion, the WH Champion and the ECW champion faced off in a triple Threat match. Or was it Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday/Whatever? I think the fans could decide whose title would be on the line.
As I recall the match was bland and predictable and the buyrate tanked...

If they do crossover matches, it better be for a reason other than just throwing something together for a PPV. In the case of Punk vs Christian I can see a decent match, but I'm having a hard time imagening a satisfying storyline.
At any rate, I personally think it wouldn't be smart business for the WWE to clearly define which of the two titles is superior. While a strong argument can be made for the WWE title (it's on the A-show, decades of tradition), they are wise to promote both belts as the top of the iceberg.

Taking away a title match for a PPV hurts the buyrate, potential title changes are the #1 reason to buy most non gimmick ppvs.

My PPV purchases include title matches, the only ppv I'd consider watching without a world title match is Royal Rumble, or MITB, also KOTR if they still did it.

So if you held it at the RR, I'd purchase it, simply for the RR match.

I can't see them doing that until it's time to end the brand split bc whoever u book to lose will have that brands rep tarnished as the B brand...plus it's not like they are actually in a battle of who is better so it would be very meaningless... Now if it was for once and for all unified championship I'd be game to see the match

They have tried it in the past and its not been a big hit. The only way it would work today is in a title unifaction situation other then that i just dont think it would generate anoth intrest

I can only see them doing this when they unify the titles and end the brand extension. It's something that I personally want to see but I don't think it will happen for a long time. Also, I would think that when it happens, it will be a HUGE money match. As it would stand right now, Orton/Punk would be good but not great. Christian/Punk would be a good match, but not the starpower you would want in this situation. Cena/Christian would be meh, Cena's just so much bigger both namewise and sizewise. Orton/Cena has the starpower and is the Hogan/Savage of the time but it's been done to death and I don't think the fans want to see this happen again for a LONG time. So to answer your question, yes I want to see it but not as an exhibition. There has to be something real on the line here. A unification match would be big today, but I think in 5 years time or so some of the young talent will really have stepped up and the match could be huge and actually realistically happen if people are tired of the brand split.

They tried things like that before. At least one time. I think it was a Night of Champions when the WWE champion, the WH Champion and the ECW champion faced off in a triple Threat match. Or was it Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday/Whatever? I think the fans could decide whose title would be on the line.

It was cyber sunday of 2006, with the fans voting on the title beig defended, with the company not wanting the WH champion andthe WWE title on the same person, it was obviously not going to be interesting, as mentioned.

However, as a pure 'bragging rights' story line, the idea is intriguing. If Bryan turns heel and cashes his Mitb breifcase in, and faces punk over who is 'the best in the world' it would be sweet. This would give Bryan the freedom on the mic he deserves and show the talent he has.

Without a doubt, it is the WWE Champion, whoever you believe that is. Simple, The Big Gold Belt is an NWA/WCW creation, not WWE. Vince hates things taht aren't his from the start: see ECW, Cruiserweights and Jack, Cactus.

I believe this happened twice.

At Cyber Sunday it was ECW Champion, Big Show vs. World Champion, Booker T. vs. WWE Champion, John Cena.

At Smackdown it was ECW Champion, Matt Hardy vs. World Champion, Chris Jericho vs. WWE Champion, Triple H.

I remember thinking both matches being predictable, but hoping for Big Show and Matt Hardy to win their respective matches. I wouldn’t mind this match taking place at least once a year.

It's pure and simple (unfortunately), the 'real' World Champion is whichever championship is on RAW, pure and simple. It is the number one programme and it's champion is regarded the actual top dog. For a while this swapped about, until Vince realised the belt associated with the NWA and WCW was representing
his top brand, then the WWe belt was brought home and it has been regarded as number one since. Just look at WM this year, the WHC match was the curtain jerker or (better still) look at the current Punk storyline, just how many times has it been said that the WWe Title is the most prestigious in the World? When have you EVER heard this claimed on SmackDown?

Well, I believe a World Championship belt can only be called World if it is defended out of country against other organizations.

That's why the WWE Championship doesn't have "world" on it. The World Heavyweight Championship was at one time defended globally in different organizations.

So technically speaking the belt that Christian has is the "true" World Championship.

Well, I believe a World Championship belt can only be called World if it is defended out of country against other organizations.

That's why the WWE Championship doesn't have "world" on it. The World Heavyweight Championship was at one time defended globally in different organizations.

So technically speaking the belt that Christian has is the "true" World Championship.

Technically both titles are defended around the world. They are currently a global product and have toured most of the globe. Vince has kept teh WCW/NWA title alive out of respect to an extense. He could easily just thrown it away and continued with one title. Both represent

Technically both titles are defended around the world.

Yes. But what I said was that the belt needs to be defended in and against another orginaztion. Both do not represent. Look at the last 3 words of my 1st sentence.

The WWE Championship would have to be defended against...I don't know... wrestlers in New Japan or some other ORGANIZATION to be considered a WORLD TITLE.

So the World Heavyweight Championship that WWE has is the ONLY world title they have.

you know as far as being the true champion or not theres something i just dont get!! Someone please explain this to me via PM message heres my question?? I think the WWE needs just to have that one guy that one champion that everyone is chasing!! Whether it be the WWE Title or WWE heavyweight champion i dont care which one it is!! Have weight classes like the UFC You can have tag titles, maybe a title for the weight classes 180-230 for like a light heavyweight title and 230 and up for the main title!!

Answering the question in the title.

Cm Punk, he beat cena for the belt and him leaving was kayfabe, Dont say Cena please

Punk > Cena

CM Punk is the only TRUE WWE Champion! He beat Cena at MITB and Cena has not beaten him since. Cena is walking around with a belt from WWE Shopzone and until he beats Cena, then he will not be the TRUE WWE Champion!

The WWE Championship is recognized as the official Undisputed Heavyweight Championship of the WWE by PWI, with the World Heavyweight Championship in second.

And as for the CM Punk/ John Cena situation. Cena never beat the WWE Champion for the belt, he beat Rey Mysterio who hadn't beaten the rightful and in a comedic moment, recognized by the WWE website at the time, WWE Champion CM Punk. Punk defeated John Cena for the WWE Championship, has not lost it to anybody so therefore common sense tells us that CM Punk is the actual WWE Champion.

This storyline is very similar to the Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon storyline from the mid-nineties where they fought over two Intercontinental Championship belts. Basically the same idea, but different people and a different Championship belt.

The WWE championship is the true world title as it is on the a brand and it's been around longer/

As for the Punk/Cena title situation Punk is the true champ. It's obvious he beat the champ and hasn't been beaten for the title. The championship Cena holds is a paper championship belt I believe Punk calls it, it means nothing as Cena defeated a guy who didn't beat Punk (the WWE champion).

The only thing that will happen is that christian retains world championship and punk we win the wwe championship, the calling it the undisputed championship but that is just because there is two of the same belt after the match when ther is one winner, we will then see yet again 1 belt and before long he will be known agen as just the wwe champion. The actual undisputed championship won't make another appearance

It's pure and simple (unfortunately), the 'real' World Champion is whichever championship is on RAW, pure and simple.
This. If you're a wrestler, you want to be champion on the A show. Although I'd guess that most wrestlers, if they had the choice, would rather be champion of the A show while carrying the big gold over their shoulder because it's been around so long and it's such a beautiful title. Several wrestlers have called the WWE championship title ugly or have said they don't care for it's appearance, plus it's been around only about half a decade.

Whilst I don't see it happening I, personally, would love to see that match. Champion vs. Champion non title has great potential and considering that whoever the two would be are the tops of the company you can expect and epic epic encounter.

I think the problem last time was that they had one title up for grabs. It's stupid for one to be defending whilst others don't, all or nothing. I think if they did this again they'd want to make it credible, i'd say the prize of victory is simply bragging rights as they still need a world title on each brand but make a stipulation of no interference or make it an iron man match. Make it a battle, if your melding two world title matches into one it needs to be something epic to make up for that lack of two. Punk vs Randy 1v1 Champion vs Champion Iron Man match. Sounds good right?

The only time this would happen would be if the WWE go back to just one roster system like they did pre 2002. As long as their are 2 brands there will be 2 World Champions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back