Who is Todays Andre the Giant?

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
We always here how John Cena is Todays Hulk Hogan.But what i want to know who todays Andre the Giant is.i really can't think of someone who is like andre the giant today and i dont mean like who is like he's size,i mean what he represented.

What do you guys think?please give an explanation on why you chose that person.

This is a good thread. Honestly, I have no idea. I'm tempted to say The Great Khali, but Andre the Giant was A LOT more talented. I don't think there is anyone who takes up that spot actually, wrestling has turned a lot more into having toned guys looking good at the top, as opposed to Hogan and Andre. I mean, just look at the top draws - Cena, Edge, Orton, Batista. All are supposed to have a great physique, that women want to sleep with and men want to look like. I doubt you'll get an 'Andre the Giant' again.

Errm, the Big Show. Big guy, doesn't move much, doesn't do much at all actually. Crowd love him. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the Big Show.

I would say Khali. But I've seen planty of quality Khali matches and only one or two good Andre ones. I wouldn't want people to draw that comparison. Khali is a super worker, the Andre I saw was not.

Edit: I really should read threads more clearly. The Andre I grew up watching represents wrestlers who hang around longer than they should. So I'll draw a comparison with Shawn Michaels.

I really think the closest thing today is the Big Show. I just can't see Khali being closer to Andre than Show is, especially in terms of appearance, move set, and how they handle themselves in the ring.

So, yes, I would have to say Big Show despite the fact that he's not even that close to Andre (in many aspects) anyway. But, if you had to pick, then it would have to be the Big Show.

think people have mis-understood the point andre the giant is a timeless legend, doint think its about size, just someone that is over no matter what, andre couldn't stand without assistance in his final years but remainded a world wide draw and was unique.

In modern times the undertaker is the only person who comes close.

DC1 is right.

Someone many months ago said that when Vince created the Undertaker character he wasn't trying to create a new Hogan but rather a new Andre. Both men are huge and they have a certain mystique about them. They're special attractions that are above the world title. They're going to be over just based on the spectacle that is their look. Definitely Taker, and I'm not quite sure why Show and Khali are even considered options.

I would have to say that today's pro wrestling has no equivalent to Andrè. You have to understand that Andrè was for the largest portion of his career, a special attraction wrestler. He would move on through territories and only wrestle there short spans of time, usually, he was brought in to face local heels and sort of punish them. No single territory could afford Andrè's services for long, he drew money because people would line up to see him. Until Vince Jr killed off the territories, then Andrè settled down in the then WWF. Andrè was the catalyst for Hulkamania and soon after that, over exposure from TV shows and live WWF events kind of killed off his special attraction status, to the point that he was even involved in a tag team for a while. Both Khali and Big Show are over exposed on a weekly basis these days, and while still impressive to see in real life, they will never compare to the legend that was Andrè The Giant in his prime.

In terms of respect in the locker room like Andre had it is most definitely the Undertaker. From all the reports on the main site and from what i have heard he is the most respected person in the locker room.

In terms of move set and look I'd have to go with the Big Show. remember when he debuted in WCW and they were trying to pass him off as the son of andre

i will definitely say the undertaker as previously stated he has a certain mystique to him that is in my opinion bigger than Andre's was. taker is without an doubt the special attraction of the WWE he is the soul of the company, in many ways hes bigger than Cena he was the main event in seven out of twelve months for ppvs last year and smackdown is clearly the second show, not to mention he missed to months. but just based of size and moving and stuff i would say Khali he is a big slow giant who cant talk just like andre in my opinion bid show in ring wise is far better than any giant ever as well as on the mic

Exactly, the mystique, the dominance, Taker's probably the closest thing. But no one really is. People just don't give Andre enough credit, or maybe they do. But he's one of the best ever. No other big guy was really like him. He was really fast when he first started. That's why I say Taker, cause he's big but fast and athletic too. Those two just seem to have the best presence though.

No one will compare to the size and the reputation of Andre. Big Show most would say, but he's nothing more than a joke!!!!! The Great Khali? Please release that piece of crap!!!!! Andre is a legend!!!! :smashfreakB:

I agree with the Undertaker crowd, as far as respect from his peers.

As far as his undefeated streak and unbeatable image, there is no one and will likely never be another Andre the Giant.

And as far as guys "hanging around too long" in wrestling...its wrestling! The wrestling business is about cashing checks. I don't think any of these guys that are cashing their checks care about how many stars some guy is giving them on the internet. Capitalism means you are worth what you can get, and as long as you can get paid, do it.

The only instance in which a wrestler hangs around too long is when they are injuring their co-workers.

I have to say Big Show cause even though he's another clumsy 7 footer, at least he has a personality and is funny. A trait Andre never had. But oh yeah, Taker to no doubt. I thought we were talking in size and that Giant look

Andre the Giant was like no other professional wrestler before, during or after him. When he first started he was around 7'4 -7'5" in height and 330-350lbs initially. Ability to fly off the top rope and do things that similar wrestlers at 6' tall were doing. His captivating personality and size gave him the opportunity to be in movies, TV shows and on the interview circuit. As a poster said earlier he traveled from territory to territory and was the 2nd most recognizable person on the planet next to Ali at the time. He was ICONIC in Japan wrestling names such at Inoki, Maeda, Giant baba, Butcher, Stan Hansen, Hulk hogan, etc.
Two totally different era's, etc. Will never be another Andre. I don't think even Vince is that stupid to try to, as the Ultimate Warrior would say, recreate the unrecreatable.

The Undertaker is the modern-day Andre the Giant.

Everyone from Jim Ross to even Big Show have stated that.

Jim Ross even stated that The Undertaker could possibly superceed Andre's Legacy when he hangs up his boots.

They're both unstoppable giants that are the WWE's measuring sticks.
They both have aura's to them that made them both special attractions.
The Undertaker is the most respected athlete ever in wrestling and Andre was highly respected back in his day.

There have been rumors or The Undertaker & Andre the Giant having a fured but Andre got too old. If they did fued The Undertaker would have beaten Andre too.

Either way, Undertaker picked right where Andre left off.

These are many quotes from Jim Ross basically saying that The Undertaker is the modern-day Andre the Giant:

"Taker's legacy in the WWE will be every much as significant as Andre the Giant's when all is said & done."

"The Undertaker’s WM legacy will never be equaled"

"Taker has solidly achieved “Andre status” (there is nothing higher than that) in the WWE"

"Taker has established himself as one of the top 5 all time in the WWE and may well rank with Andre as the top two based on longevity and productivity."

"As I have mentioned in the past, Taker compares very favorably to Andre in many ways. By the time Taker hangs ‘em up his legacy may even super-cede Andre’s."

"In 34 years, I have never met a wrestler who has earned the respect of more of his peers than The Undertaker"

He also says that The Undertaker has reached Andre's level in his blog on WWE.com on April 1st ------>

"I first saw Taker competing in Dallas, helped facilitate his arrival in WCW and then saw him leave Atlanta for the big time of WWE to become "The Phenom" and perhaps the most feared and respected man in WWE history. I used to think that no one would ever approach "Andre status" until the The Undertaker kept evolving and standing the test of time and 16 men who all tried to end 'WWE's most impressive streak ever'. Andre stands no longer alone, as "The Boss", but now stands shoulder to shoulder with the Demon of Death Valley on a pedestal that, as of today, has room for only these two bigger than life individuals." -Jim Ross

I have noticed only one person in this thread who actually remembers Andre from his earlier days, in the territories. Whoever it was said that he represented hanging on to long..... it was actually Vince who pleaded and begged, as he has admitted himself, Andre to come back to build up the "fued of the decade" which culminated at WMIII. Andre had retired because he was felling very unwell due to his acromegaly. When Andre first started out in 1963, he was incredibly athletic, from what I've heard; I can only remember him myself from the mid-70s onwards, and, unfortunately, I witnessed the decline of an incredibly athletic, giant of a man into an overweight old man, doubled over with the pain on his joints. I agree with people saying that the only man really who has the same makeup as Andre these days is the Undertaker, but even so, I don't think anyone will ever supersed Andre as a true giant of the sport, in every way.

I have noticed only one person in this thread who actually remembers Andre from his earlier days, in the territories. Whoever it was said that he represented hanging on to long..... it was actually Vince who pleaded and begged, as he has admitted himself, Andre to come back to build up the "fued of the decade" which culminated at WMIII. Andre had retired because he was felling very unwell due to his acromegaly. When Andre first started out in 1963, he was incredibly athletic, from what I've heard; I can only remember him myself from the mid-70s onwards, and, unfortunately, I witnessed the decline of an incredibly athletic, giant of a man into an overweight old man, doubled over with the pain on his joints. I agree with people saying that the only man really who has the same makeup as Andre these days is the Undertaker, but even so, I don't think anyone will ever supersed Andre as a true giant of the sport, in every way.

Whether The Undertaker supercedes Andre or not in his career, he's already according to Jim Ross, standing shoulder to shoulder with Andre on a pedestal that only has room for Andre & Taker.

That says ALOT about The Undertaker. None of his Legacy was ever fabricated either.
:undertaker2:

This is a good thread. Honestly, I have no idea. I'm tempted to say The Great Khali, but Andre the Giant was A LOT more talented. I don't think there is anyone who takes up that spot actually, wrestling has turned a lot more into having toned guys looking good at the top, as opposed to Hogan and Andre. I mean, just look at the top draws - Cena, Edge, Orton, Batista. All are supposed to have a great physique, that women want to sleep with and men want to look like. I doubt you'll get an 'Andre the Giant' again.

Hogan had a great physique, better than Edge anyway, so this post is crapp. The Great Khali doesn't rperesent anything Andre supposedly did. Going purely on JR's comments I'd say The Undertaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back