Would the nWo Wolfpac be main eventers if Randy Savage didn't go to the sidelines?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
Full wording:
"WCW 1998: Would the nWo Wolfpac be much more presentable main eventers if Randy Savage didn't go to the sidelines after July 1998?"

When the nWo Wolfpac roster circa 1998 was formed, it was mainly composed of Kevin Nash, Randy Savage, Konnan, Lex Luger and Sting. Although we did get a glimpse of Miss Elizabeth, Curt Hennig, Rick Rude and Scott Hall representing the nWo Wolfpac colors for a very short time. One PPV outing for Hall, and two months for Hennig, Rude and Elizabeth in terms of representing the Wolfpac before eventually winding back up with nWo Hollywood.
-
...but 80% of the central babyface Wolfpac quintet (except for Konnan) had been in position and had the opportunities in the world to try their luck as a top draw at least once or twice in their careers. So here goes:

1) Kevin Nash was a capable main eventer and appeared to be a capable top draw in the right situation, but he was presented as a midcarder after Scott Hall joined up with nWo Hollywood at Slamboree '98. A select group of fans like to knock on Nash's run as the WWF's top draw in '94-'95 as Big Daddy Cool Diesel (one that was miscast as a smiler when he should be a take-no-prisoners cool heel that he eventually helped populate in wrestling) for his supposed failed run when in reality, Nash's list of opponents were Nelson Frazier (aka Mabel), British Bulldog, Sycho Sid and Shawn Michaels, although Michaels was serviceable in the ring, while the other three flat out stunk up the matches and proved that they couldn't belong in the main event, so Nash cannot be blamed for the in-ring work flaws that hindered Mabel, Bulldog and Sid.

2) Lex Luger was a muscled bodybuilder who used to be able to do 30-60 minute matches in the 1980s NWA through The Great American Bash '91 PPV. After that, Luger gets blamed for being too lazy in the ring and coasting on his physique so bad there are a lot of fans who only remember post-GAB '91 Luger instead of the 1980s/early 90s Luger. Not everybody has to have a wide array of moves in a moveset imo.
Luger was most over with the crowd in the late 1980s/early 1990s, with his best overall work being his '89-'90 heel run with the WCW United States Championhip Belt feuding with the likes of Ricky Steamboat, Sting and Ric Flair, even adding his epic Terry Fu*k promo because that was when Luger actually had more intensity and delivery on the mic as a heel who didn't need a manager compared to his '91-'92 heel run when he started packing it in while being managed by Harley Race and Mr. Hughes. But as far as being a top draw is concerned, Jim Herd was grooming Luger to be WCW's top heel and wanted to send Flair down to the midcard ranks just because he was in his early 40s. In the end, Luger didn't do well as a WCW top draw (since heels were their top draws compared to WWF airbrushing faces as theirs).

3) The wrestling world first took notice of Steve "Sting" Borden when he worked his first major PPV match with Ric Flair in 1987 and took him to the 60-minute time limit to end the match in a draw. Along the way, Sting (in addition to his best friend Luger) was also groomed to be a future WCW top draw and face of the company should Flair retire from active competition in pro wrestling. However, plans were halted in 1990 when Sting tore up his knee ligaments by a botched basic spot where he jumped on the cage in one match. Flair vowed to hold off losing his NWA World Heavyweight Championship Belt until Sting was fully recovered long enough to handle it. The problem was, Sting failed to be a top draw because WCW was a distant second to a WWF still led by Hogan and Savage. To be fair, Flair admitted that the Black Scorpion angle really killed the oomph in Sting's first reign as WCW World Heavyweight Champion. And again, for a guy who was supposed to be the definition of WCW's "Franchise Player", he sure didn't look like a successful one in ratings and numbers, and his time as WCW's top babyface vs the nWo in '96-'97 and '97-'98 wasn't any better.

Randy Savage on the other hand (unlike Nash, Luger and Sting) proved to be a successful WWF top draw in '88-'89, while Hogan was out doing movies in Hollywood at a time when Hogan didn't have to see his movie career dry up because of steroid allegations crossfire he eventually had to go through in '92-'93 and '93-'94, leading to his eventual WWF departure. Even if Savage didn't last long as the top draw and had to go back to being a heel, his heel run as The Macho King in '89-'90 and '90-'91 meant he never sniffed a main event run until 1992 when he had another chance as the WWF's top draw when Ric Flair was better suited to the NWA/WCW way of working, Bret Hart wasn't even ready to be the top draw just yet, and Hulk Hogan was on hiatus for a year, plus Ultimate Warrior was on a short leash because of the way his first WWF run ended at SummerSlam '91 for demanding cash from Vince McMahon at gunpoint, so Savage was more trusted to take the reins until Vince forced him to the commentary booth. He even had a run as WCW's top heel in the Summer of 1999, but he was a totally different guy altogether by then due to a 1998 Torn ACL knee injury, yet I will give his 1999 heel run a pass, even though some of his four WCW World Heavyweight Championship reigns were limited to one day reigns.

But when Wolfpac were treated like midcarders by order of Hogan and Bischoff because of a heated backstage feud between Hogan and Nash, would Randy Savage (assuming he doesn't have the knee injury that put him out of action for the remainder of 1998, and subsequently had to change his look, overall in-ring game and attire to keep up with the times for the upcoming new millenium) be the Wolfpac's only hope in order for the nWo Wolfpac to look at least competent main eventers in storylines against nWo Hollywood? I think with a healthy "Macho Man" Randy Savage, the Wolfpac wouldn't be made to look like tackle dummies in typical nWo Hollywood beatdowns in the process, because although Nash has more clout in booking, I feel Savage is second to Nash in terms of booking clout, so I'm sure Savage would've been the only successful top draw the Wolfpac had to offer.

I don't know what Savage would have been doing had he not been injured, as for the Wolfpac not being main eventers, the idea is ludicrous. All of them were focal point of the show, WCW was an ensemble main event at that time with Goldberg, Hogan, Nash, DDP and Sting all leading the company at some point that year in popularity or at least visibility; Wolfpac accounts for two of those guys previously mentioned so i don't think they were ever hurting for main event status.

Yeah I don't know what Savage would've brought in terms of "main event" storylines (maybe a feud with Hogan?) but you had both Luger and Sting who had been World Heavyweight Champions just the year prior. In Sting's case just a few months before joining the Wolfpac. The only way I see it working out (had Savage not gotten injured) was POSSIBLY a Hogan/Savage and a Hall/Nash feud setting up for Starrcade. I don't know if a Hogan/Savage feud would have necessarily elevated the Wolfpac because Hogan no doubt would have still gone over in the end.

Also think about this. Would a Hogan/Savage feud even draw? Savage was no where near Nash in terms of popularity and certainly no where close to Goldberg or even DDP at that point. He was maybe the second best draw in his own faction at that point and an argument could be made he was third behind Sting. But Hogan was notoriously known for working with guys he could trust. He wasn't going to get into a pissing contest with Nash at that point.

Yeah I don't know what Savage would've brought in terms of "main event" storylines (maybe a feud with Hogan?) but you had both Luger and Sting who had been World Heavyweight Champions just the year prior. In Sting's case just a few months before joining the Wolfpac. The only way I see it working out (had Savage not gotten injured) was POSSIBLY a Hogan/Savage and a Hall/Nash feud setting up for Starrcade. I don't know if a Hogan/Savage feud would have necessarily elevated the Wolfpac because Hogan no doubt would have still gone over in the end.

Also think about this. Would a Hogan/Savage feud even draw? Savage was no where near Nash in terms of popularity and certainly no where close to Goldberg or even DDP at that point. He was maybe the second best draw in his own faction at that point and an argument could be made he was third behind Sting. But Hogan was notoriously known for working with guys he could trust. He wasn't going to get into a pissing contest with Nash at that point.

@Makaveli31

Randy Savage was surpassed by Kevin Nash and Sting for the Wolfpac quintet in terms of guys who had been top draw caliber guys before, because Sting never got better as a top draw portraying Surfer Sting until a gimmick change to Crow Sting catapulted him to WCW's #1 babyface in late 1996, and Nash just got better when he was allowed to be his real self on the mic, do smart-remark shoot promos and segments compared to his WWF run as Diesel, especially '94-'95 when he was made to play a 1980s type WWF babyface, that of the smiling, pandering, people-pleasing hero for all of his WWF Championship reign that lasted for almost a year.

That was when Randy Savage got downgraded to second or third best draw, because Nash finally got the creative freedom he needed to be successful, and Sting had to change his gimmick in order to be better as a top draw, while Savage was at least still a better draw than Lex Luger, given that Luger never became a long-term top draw after '91-'92 again, while Savage did have some cups of coffee with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt, for which it's still better than Luger after 1991/92.

This marquee storyline could've been done really well had it been treated like a Civil War style deal.

Black & White - Hogan, Bret Hart, The Giant, Bagwell & Norton
Wolfpac - Savage, Nash, Hall, Luger, & Sting

This could've lead to an ultimate War Games style match and you could've capitalized on the real life feud between Hogan & Savage. But clearly writing killed WCW. Arquette as champ?, Nash takes a dive vs. Hogan?, etc.. So much potential wasted.

@Spencesc11

In what can only be described as your Civil War-style feud culminating in a proper 1998 WarGames match at Fall Brawl '98, I wish WarGames changed their format (number of participants per team) to be more like Tekken's Team Battle mode in which eight players are the norm.

For nWo Hollywood: Hollywood Hogan, Bret Hart, The Giant, Scott Norton, Scott Steiner, Chris Jericho, British Bulldog and Brian Adams managed by Eric Bischoff

For nWo Wolfpac: Kevin Nash, Randy Savage, Scott Hall, Konnan, Lex Luger, Sting, Curt Hennig and Buff Bagwell managed by Miss Elizabeth

Randy Savage was surpassed by Kevin Nash and Sting for the Wolfpac quintet in terms of guys who had been top draw caliber guys before, because Sting never got better as a top draw portraying Surfer Sting until a gimmick change to Crow Sting catapulted him to WCW's #1 babyface in late 1996, and Nash just got better when he was allowed to be his real self on the mic, do smart-remark shoot promos and segments compared to his WWF run as Diesel, especially '94-'95 when he was made to play a 1980s type WWF babyface, that of the smiling, pandering, people-pleasing hero for all of his WWF Championship reign that lasted for almost a year.

That was when Randy Savage got downgraded to second or third best draw, because Nash finally got the creative freedom he needed to be successful, and Sting had to change his gimmick in order to be better as a top draw, while Savage was at least still a better draw than Lex Luger, given that Luger never became a long-term top draw after '91-'92 again, while Savage did have some cups of coffee with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt, for which it's still better than Luger after 1991/92.

Savage had surpassed Sting as a top draw? How so? Sting had just headlined WCW's most successful PPV of all time Starrcade '97. He was the top babyface (even though he didn't wrestle) during WCW's most successful year 1997. I love Randy Savage just as much as the next guy but to think Savage had surpassed Sting in terms of popularity by 1998 is ludicrous. The main reason Sting's popularity was blunted (just as in 1990) were backstage politics. Sting just didn't care enough to engage in them but he was still very much a top main event draw.

As far as Nash, there is no comparison. The Wolfpac was his. He was the leader. Savage joined HIM not vice versa. If there was any Wolfpac/Hollywood showdown it was going to be Nash and Hogan.

Never mind. I see where you said Sting and Nash had surpassed Savage by 1998. Disregard my previous post.

@Makaveli31 That's alright. I'm just considering each of their past history as the top draws of a wrestling company at one time or another out of the 80% of the babyface nWo Wolfpac quintet.

Some other posters might tell us that Curt Hennig was an AWA Champion but pro wrestling look at AWA as the minors and not really the main companies.

I think the ONLY way the NWO Wolfpac could have been serious Main Eventers (i.e. actually draw PPV Buy Rates and TV Ratings to compete with WWF at the time) would have to have NWO split as it did but have FAR fewer members. If the NWO had disbanded properly it could have set up smaller tag teams/Factions and sent them in their own directions to feud with each other under new gimmicks/alias's - if you look back at how WWF did things around that time - it sent 2 no hopers like Rockabilly and The Roddie Jessie James to become a bad ass tag team. I do not wish to go off on a tangent here - but it is very important to note that THAT is how you get over. The two of them were SO bad, I used to feel depressed when they came on for their segments of the show as individuals. Then I suddenly saw them attacking LOD and laying them out, then Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie - and BOOM they suddenly became the hottest tag team in the entire industry. I used to get excited for them to come out and perform.

This is the reason Wolfpac never got over in the way it could have - it was the same gimmick as the original NWO but with a Red logo instead of a white one. It not only didn't last as a main event squad - it was dropped rather suddenly too.

The Wolfpac was MASSIVELY over! I don't know where people get this idea that Wolfpac was not over?!? I reason why it fizzled out was because Hulk Hogan (their chief antagonist) refused to engage in any type of match. Nash was massively over and so were Konnan, Sting and to a lesser extent Luger by association.

@Makaveli31

The people that get the idea in their heads that the nWo Wolfpac was not over, they get it from the WWE DVDs about the nWo and the Monday Night Wars and WCW, all of them with obvious Revisionist History by Vince McMahon aka Vince Revisionist History DVD.

Vince likes to re-frame the later years of WCW as being second-rate, likely due to his ego. Hence the botched 2001 WWF InVasion angle that should've been saved for 2002 instead of just forcing WCW and ECW out of the way. Vince should've waited until the guaranteed contracts of people like Sting, Goldberg, Nash, Steiner and others with similar deals under Time Warner expire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back