WrestleZone Forums Hall of Fame - Next 2 Inductions

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Polls now open! Click one of the following links to vote.

Poll 1: http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=225139

Poll 2: http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=225141

The WrestleZone Forums is now beginning the process of inducting its next two members into the Hall of Fame. Previous inductees are: Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Andre the Giant, Lou Thesz, Shawn Michaels and Bruno Sammartino.

For the next round of inductions, there will be two separate polls. For each poll, the members of WrestleZone can choose one man to be inducted. The two men with the most votes shall be placed in the Hall of Fame. Your two lists are (clicking on their name will take you to their Wikipedia page):

Poll 1

Randy Savage
Sting
Undertaker

Poll 2

Verne Gagne
El Santo
Buddy Rogers

You may use this thread for discussion. The discussion period will last two days, with the polls open for three days starting Friday, and (hopefully) ending right before Summerslam.

Poll 1

Savage, as much as Sting and Taker have done I just like Savage. He's amazing in ring, his promo's were spot on, and he was one of the best ever.

Poll 2

This is insanely hard, I have to admit I'm disappointed that Inoki and Rikidozen or Misawa isn't in here, but truth be told if I have to pick between these three it's El Santo. He changed the business forever. He was much more than just a wrestler in Mexico, he became a national hero, and he was in comics and movies, he is considered by some as the greatest hero in the history of Mexico's existence. It's amazing, he's appeared in over 40 movies and was everything to Mexico at one point. Without him a whole new style of wrestling. He made wrestling in Mexico and was bigger in the run than Rogers and Gagne

Poll 1
Randy Savage

Was there ever a doubt in anyone's mind? He might be my favorite wrestler of all time. I know that Sting and Undertaker are legends and stuff but they're always going to have a place in Hall of Fames in every promotion on Earth. Not to mention that if they don't make it this round, they'll make it into the next one.

Anyway, Savage had one of the most unique personalities to ever grace professional wrestling. As the pages fall off the calendar, newer wrestlers are discovered and promoted. Most of them are compared to wrestlers of the past in some way, shape or form. I don't think anyone has ever been able to properly compare Randy Savage to anyone and I doubt it will ever happen. No one cut a promo like him, had an in-ring arsenal like him, had the look, the charisma, all while drawing monster numbers, regardless of the feuds he was involved in. This guy is the epitome of underrated and NEEDS to be in the Hall of Fame.

Poll 2
Verne Gagne

Verne did more for the business of professional wrestling than just wrestle and be champion of a promotion. He created the promotion, trained, and began the careers of dozens of legends and superstars. His contributions are unmatched.

Poll 1

Randy Savage

He was always entertaining and actually deserves to be in. I'm not saying that Taker and Sting don't, as they are Legends, I'm just a huge mark for Randy Savage.

Poll 2

I really have no idea any of those are....

Poll 1: Sting
I want to say Savage but my heart goes with Sting honestly just because he's managed to become huge without doing it on the biggest stage of em all, the WWE. I know WCW was bigger than WWE at one point but WWE will always be #1 in general. This makes Sting stand out from the rest.

I don't know enough about Gagne, Santo and Roberts to vote, sorry.

Poll 1- The Undertaker

For me, the Undertaker is a more iconic and legendary. He is a trademark for not only the WWE, but wrestling as a whole. I really don't have to bring up his many career highlights. Savage and Sting are both great picks, but The Phenom deserves to be in the WZ Hall Of Fame.

Poll 2- Verne Gagne

As D-Man said, his contributions to the wrestling business are great. Verne is a trainer, a champion, a promoter, and should be a WZ Hall Of Famer.

This is actually pretty easy for me to vote on.

Poll 1, I’m going with the Macho Man Randy Savage. The first ever “bad guy” I ever cheered for. To me, he was what Ric Flair was before I ever heard of Ric Flair. The only difference is Flair didn’t have Hogan to share the spotlight. As for Sting and Undertaker, they can get in later, just like in real life.

Poll 2, I’m going with the first Champion of the Greatest Wrestling Federation ever created. Buddy Rogers to me is the first Great Champion. Honestly, I don’t know much about all 3 of these men, but Verne Gagne and El Santo can be inducted later.

Poll 1
Sting

When it comes to a pro wrestling Hall of Fame, longevity to me means a LOT. And out of the 3 candidates for poll 1, Sting by far has been the most consistent wrestler of them all for many, many years.

Savage had a great run from 1985 until about 1991. While in WCW he had a good match here and there, but his run overall there was nothing special.

The Undertaker, in my opinion, didn't become a great wrestler until 2003. He was always a great character, but as a wrestler I felt that his matches and feuds were boring and predictable. It wasn't until he got into implementing his Jiu-Jitsu training into his matches when he started to put on these classic matches.

Sting, on the other hand, came into WCW in the late eighties and right away was not only the best character in the company, but the top babyface and a constant show stealer. And he would remain that until the company's demise in 2001. That was almost 15 years of nothing but pure excellence. And his run in TNA has been very good on top of that, not to mention he has remained a top name in TNA pretty much since it's inception, and has easily gave us the best work out of all the "Legends" to come in and out of that company.

Basically, Sting has given us almost 25 years of great matches, feuds, and quality entertainment. He's the greatest babyface of all time, in my opinion. It's a no brainer that he absolutely deserves to be in any pro wrestling Hall of Fame.

Poll 2
Buddy Rogers

Very easy choice here. Verne Gange sucked, I don't care at all for Luchadors, and Buddy Rogers helped transcend professional wrestling forever. by gearing it more towards entertainment and also having major influence on the likes of Ric Flair and Vince McMahon. That's all that needs to be said for my reasoning on choosing Rogers.

Poll 1- Sting
Sting has done so much, his biggest accomplishment doing it all WITHOUT WWE. Taker, while he has done a nice chunk of his one, is mainly known for his WM streak, which IMO doesn't apply in this induction. I'll put it this way, where would Taker be WITHOUT his Streak?
Savage has done quite a bit too, having won 20 championships in his time, but Sting has won many more, 15 of his being world titles, 2nd only to Ric Flair, and all of this, again, WITHOUT being in WWE. My vote goes to Sting.

Poll 2- Verne Gagne
All three of these men have done so much, but IMO Gagne has done the most. All 3 of these men had their peaks outside of WWE (granted Rogers was the inaugural WWWF champion), but Gagne has won more titles and overall accomplished more. A hard choice, but Verne takes my vote in OT.

Poll 1: Sting.

This was definitely a close call. I could have chosen Randy Savage, who I believe accomplished almost as much. Yet Sting held the WCW world championship six times, the NWA world title twice, and the TNA world title four times, and for the duration of the '90s, he was the face of WCW. He allowed WCW to maintain a measure of dignity and credibility at a time when it's momentum was slipping. Sting will be as remembered for never signing with WWE as he will for any singular career accomplishment.

Poll 2: El Santo.

For this poll, I strongly considered Buddy Rogers, but El Santo's role in almost singlehandedly shaping the world of lucha libre was what tipped the scales. He established the mask as a symbol of reverence and tradition in Mexican wrestling, and even 30 years after his death, he remains the most pivotal, influential and famous character in Mexican wrestling history.

Poll 1: Randy Savage. He dead and a shoe in for the hall of fame, so why not? Sting and Taker can be inducted later and much later respectively.

Poll 2: Verne Gagne. A quick glance at his list of accolades is enough for me to make a decision; also, what D-Man said. I don't know dick about Buddy Rogers except for him being the first WWWF Champion and Ric Flair's idol. Why El Santo is on here is beyond me.

Fine. I'll admit it. I'm holding out on the second poll for Gelgarin to convince me of the right choice.

As for the first, it was quite simple. All three of those men undoubtedly deserves to go into the Hall of Fame; only one of them is definitively done with his career. I don't know why I feel this way, but I'm a big fan of a Hall of Fame induction being the final bookend of a career. I wasn't upset when Ric Flair went to TNA, it's just that we'll probably never see another truly epic, defining moment that will "end" his career. What the WWE did for him was so truly special; of course I wanted him to do whatever he wanted to do, but as a fan I would have liked to just give his career some finality in my own mind. It's the same here. Savage is done. It's physically impossible for him to do anything else, and even though the other two deserve a spot, it just works out nicely this way.

Talk his name and he shall appear. I regret it already; almost every post in this thread makes me depressed. "Why El Santo is on here is beyond me" says Luna. Hopefully we shall learn why this is a moronic statement in time, though I'm not really the best person to offer an education on Mexicans.

Poll One: Who honestly gives a shit?

Poll Two: It's Santo and there really isn't any argument to be made. To put this into perspective; Gagne is very possibly my favorite wrestler of all time, and even I concede that he's not at Santo's level. Fuck; Hulk Hogan was probably never quite at Santo's level. But that's a story for later on; for now we shall start at the bottom and work our way up.

At the bottom of the pile we have Buddy Rogers, a man who history only remembers because Flair decided to take up his nickname. Rogers career contributions were significant, but no more so than a man like Pat O'Connor or Don Leo Johnathon who have passed more or less out of public recollection.

By far Buddy Rogers' biggest contribution to the wrestling industry was the time Vince McMahon tried to build a promotion around him, only for him to bomb horribly, pretend to have a heart attack and disappear from the wrestling circuit for the best part of a decade. This indirectly let to the rise of Bruno Sammartino and the beginning of WWWF dominance, but given that Rogers' contribution to the story basically involved fucking up, I don't think we can lay too much credit at the man's feet.

Plus the man was a piece of shit. He was woefully unprofessional, commonly refused to sell, refused to job, refused to go over ten minutes, made unreasonable demands of promoters, refused to travel outside the east coast even when he was supposed to be national champion and treated his fellow performers like crap. He got the shit kicked out of him for being disrespectful on numerous occasions, and contrary to popular opinion, that kind of thing almost never happened. If you're interested in learning more about Rogers' charicter then I'd advise looking into the way he treated the Fabulous Moolah during the period she served as his valet; the man was an unadulterated scumbag.

The only real positive on his resume is that, when NWA champion, he was one of the time draws in the US. That lasted an entire three years, before which he was playing a poor second fiddle to Rocca, and after which he wasn't relevant at all. Three good years and being a wrestler that Ric Flair liked is not enough to justify a hall of fame spot.

Next we have Gagne, who I sort of feel I have written enough about this year. Search back to his matches in this year's Wrestlezone Tournament if you're really interested, but the Cliff Notes are that he ran the second most successful wrestling promotion in American history, trained more top talent than you can possibly imagine and pretty much saved what we now call "technical wrestling" from fading into obscurity. The man's contributions were massive even when you don't consider his career. He was one of the most over wrestlers in the US, he was probably wrestling's first national television star, he was a huge deal in both the NWA and AWA. The man is a legend in every sense of the word, and he should be in the hall of fame already.

What he is not however is El Santo. You really want Tastycles for this since I've never taken the time to study Mexican wrestling history, but the essential truth is this. El Santo was more popular in Mexico than Hulk Hogan was in the US. Santo was more of a cultural icon than any other professional wrestler has even been, before or after. El Santo's funeral was one of the largest in Mexican history and there are statues of the man dotted around the place. When it comes to overness the man was on a whole other level. He is unquestionably the greatest in Mexican histroy and one of the greatest in the history of the world. He should be in the hall of fame.

The only reason to vote any other way is because you hate Mexicans. Anyone who disagrees with my assessment is a bigot.

EDIT: Holy fuck; did I just make a non-spam post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back