Wrestling Deaths - Does Vince Owe A Living?

THTRobtaylor

Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
Today the tragic news has hit about Sean O'Haire's apparent suicide, yet another wrestler taking his own life or dying young.

Once again WWE is going to be looked at, scrutinized and questions asked... Could they have done more for him? Should they be doing more for these guys? It's wrestling and Vince that are responsible...all the Nancy Grace style crap is going to surface yet again.

But what DOES WWE owe anyone really?

They already pay for rehab for ANY onscreen talent who ever worked for them, often multiple times. That has been in place since Benoit, of course you get some high profile cases like Scott Hall but there are also going to be countless other smaller examples the sheets either never get wind of, or that aren't "juicy" enough to be deemed news.

In many ways some of the WCW era talents had it better than anyone else before or after them in that they got to make a large amount of cash in 1-2 years. That someone like O'Haire wasn't seen much in the business means that either he had made enough from that short career not to need wrestling or knew the game was up after WWE and it wasn't worth trying to do the "indy thing". But what do WWE actually owe guys like that? They paid him his full WCW contract for that time he was with them but he wasn't picked up again. Maybe the number was "too low", maybe they just didn't see "it" in him but either way, he was paid well for the time he was with WCW and WWE. Those days don't last forever and there were enough guys around like Piper to be warning someone like O'Haire or Kanyon of that. Kanyon of course had the other pressure of his sexuality but Awesome didn't... many of the suicides and drug related issues are down to guys not being able to handle that they're not "in wrestling" or not "big deals" outside the famed "wrestling bubble".

Select few get a Legends Contract, these tend to be the big names or the most marketable... a few older hands get the odd in-ring contract, guys like Tatanka, Jim Duggan and more recently RVD have been brought back. Some get to be agents/producers if they have a particular talent in those kind of areas, some act as trainers but not everyone can have a job with WWE, it's a functioning business, not a charity system for former wrestlers. If you think of the sheer number of wrestling talents that have been in WWE in the last 30 years, it'd have to have a payroll of literally hundreds of talents to give them all something...

Of course had WCW survived, guys like O'Haire would have had longer, more productive careers but how far should WWE go for guys like that? They offer the rehab/psych help and perhaps O'Haire could have benefitted or like the recent Robin Williams case it was a sudden shock that caused him to decide not to continue.

I think it's very unfair if WWE gets any flak here at all, it is tragic, but in reality O'Haire was a good kid with potential who didn't make the most of his one chance in WWE. He had promise with the "Devil's Advocate" gimmick but it never took off... he vanished off the radar rather than hit the indies hard like Matt Morgan, getting a 2nd chance with the E and later with TNA... you very rarely read about him on news sites so he clearly gave up on the business to an extent. WWE can't solve everyone's problems for them or give them all a job.. indeed at this stage the one thing you can truly say is anyone involved with WWE "should be", they've fought for it, worked hard, sacrificed and perhaps even ridden their luck to be there.

Some times you see the boys themselves take care of someone... look at DDP and his help for Jake and Scott... look at CM Punk buying Joey Mercury a house...it's the exception rather than the rule though... cos the one thing all wrestlers know from day one is "it's short, save your money" cos there have always been old timers with horror stories... and guys like Rock around who grew up with a dad who didn't save his money to show the example...

The only possible argument is that as the guy who "killed the territories and then/thus WCW" Vince could do more for these guys in terms of work... but that's not the solution... now if Vince set-up a business fund for example, that former talents could tap into to get their degrees or set up businesses, that might be something... perhaps some kind of scholarship bursary for the kids of former talent so college isn't so much of a pressure for the parents to afford post career... but even that is far more than they ever have to do... they actually do more than a lot of companies...you didn't hear of Chuck Lorre funding rehab for Charlie Sheen after their fall out... but Vince funded Scott Hall's after he nearly helped to tank his company...

It's a real shame about O'Haire, just as any wrestling death or anyones suicide is but it's hard for me to put it in the same category as Robin Williams... that guy meant a lot to me in his work, O'Haire was sadly, just a guy who was there for a blink and you miss it moment, same as Mike Awesome and sadly Kanyon too... tragic but not anything to do with WWE. I'm not heartless on it, a close family member did commit suicide so I know the pain, I just didn't feel that for these guys...

What do you all think? Should there be "jobs for all/life" in WWE or is it each guys responsibility to save their money, keep earning and do whatever the hell is needed to keep doing so and keep their lives on track.

Whoa, apparent suicide? Everything I read was peacefully in his home, I thought maybe he had something wrong.

TMZ are reporting suicide... and the main site is reporting their story.

It may not be, but either way WWE cops the flak... if it's a suicide it's bad for them, if it's a young "natural" or drug related death then it's another "young guy" gone cos he was a wrestler. You know how the media loves to beat that old chestnut.

Should there be "jobs for all/life" in WWE or is it each guys responsibility to save their money, keep earning and do whatever the hell is needed to keep doing so and keep their lives on track.

The latter part.

I can compare all this to myself. I've had one job for 14 years and attained a certain level. They pay me weekly and treat me well, but if my employer thinks I'm not doing the job anymore.....or I'm phased out if they cut back.....or if they can find someone to do what I do better than I can.....I'd be let go, and they wouldn't be finding me another job or taking care of me in any way after I'm gone, nor would I expect them to.

Would I be upset?......yes. Would I kill myself?.....sure hope not.

Sean O'Haire attained fame and an income most of us will never know. We can feel bad for him even while remembering that he at least had those things.....and, of course, that his suicide might have been brought about by factors other than his unhappiness about how his pro wrestling career turned out. After one phase of your life is over, a person has to find another way.

Vince McMahon doesn't owe anyone after they've left his employ.....any more than my employer owes me....or yours does you.

This is a shame, never got into him but still a shame. He went to New Japan from what I read on his Wikipedia. WWE shouldn't give them jobs for life, what business does that? He didn't get jipped by the company...if you don't get over, you don't. And if you're not over why pay you? The guys who get legends contracts are just that, legends.

Of course though, the WWE will get blamed. Every death involving a former or current wrestler is WWE's fault.

That's a slippery slope right there, I will say this though, Vince does owe them something....respect. To me, the idea of death is a joke to Vince, considering how he trivialized it when he "died" in that limo explosion. His "death" was very much treated the same way, like Eddie Guerrero and Owen Hart when they passed away. Sherri Martel died that very same week and her death was nothing but a blip on WWE's website.

All Randy Savage got was a tribute video and nothing more, no one on RAW offered their thoughts on the loss of such a great legend. Now granted, Sean O'Haire never met his full potential and won't be considered an all time great, because he didn't make that same impact in the business as others have. But just the same, death to WWE isn't much of anything in the way of a big deal to the promotion.

Now O'Haire did get mention on their site, but just the same. There's more wrong with WWE than just whether or not they "owe" wrestlers something in the way of monetary compensation.

It should be noted that a wrestler can do very well in the Indy scene even after he's been let go by a big company like the WWE. I'm sure his demons ran deeper than financials if he chose to take his own life.

Very sad to hear about Sean O'Haire. I always liked him, back to the WCW days and the Natural Born Thrillers. I always thought he and Chuck Palumbo had the look and would eventually be big stars in the business. Palumbo did fine in the tag division, but O'Haire could have been much more. Big guy with the look who was entertaining in the ring... on paper he's everything Vince could have wanted other than having the "WCW stink" on him.

That said, there shouldn't be any "job for life" guarantee for anyone. You can't just continue to make money for not doing anything productive for the company. If you were a big enough star in your time, you can make money off of royalties and hopefully get a legends deal and do some part time work. Otherwise, it is everyone's responsibility regardless of what profession they have to save their money and spend/invest it responsibility.

Man i am saddened to read about this.. 43 years old,a too young of a guy to go.. But a lot of great points brought up here. Unless your a legend no one has a job for life,regardless of what a company tells you,i have been there myself.. Does the WWE owe him anything??

Like i said,truth be told if he were a bigger star then yes.. But its up to the talent to invest wisely. You can make it on your own in the Indy scene after leaving WWE.. But clearly whatever demons he was facing overtook him.. He was a good talent,pretty agile big guy from i can remember but really thats about it..

Of course another wrestler passing away,will get the medias attention and yet another black eye for the sport.. Its a damn shame he killed himself if TMZ reports are true. I hope he finds peace

Sad news. I really liked this guy a lot. I remember him during the WWF/WCW invasion I remember him and RVD holding a WWF competitor, I can't recall who it was while someone WCW guy struck the WWF guy. All I could think of was how cool it is to see RVD and Sean O'Haire together beating up the WWF. He really stood out to me. I know everyone talks about someone when they pass away he really did. He was a massive, muscular beast of man with a cool goatee. The guy was looked 6 foot 6 and could do a swan-ton bomb. You didn't see that everyday. You don't see that nowadays. Mix in some martial arts moves in there he was a pretty impressive package.

Oh boy I have wrestled with my own morality when it comes to wrestling deaths. I gave up pro wrestling when Benoit passed, came back into it and gave it up again, and believe me each time I never wanted to stop watching it. I love pro wrestling man, I love it so much. For me at the time it just wasn't sitting well with me. I always come back to it because I love it.

I don't want to blame anyone. I think the focus should be put on how can we make wrestling safer, and prolong the life of it's performers. I don't think Vince Mcmahon is heartless, I think he does care. As mentioned look at all the money he shelled out to help Scott Hall and I heard WWE does offer free rehab for any former wrestler who passed through their company.

As for the performers themselves, I love these guys and have total sympathy for them. I have never been a pro wrestler or know what it's like to be a pro wrestler. As a fan all I hope that when they're bodies are banged up due to the nature of the business they don't abuse pain killers. That if they miss their families due to being on the road they talk to somebody about it , anybody. If they the pressures of the business are getting too much they should take a break, or get out completely. They probably love pro wrestling like we do but there are things more important than it like health, and their families.

It's unfortunate no one ever likes hearing this kind of news. Pro wrestling just has to continue to strive to make itself safer for the longevity and wellness of it's performers.

RIP Sean O' Haire.

We don't know the whole story as of yet, and will probably never really know all of the demons that plagued O'Haire, so it's tough to speculate what the WWE could've done. It's been 10 years since O'Haire was in the WWE, and based on Wikipedia, about 8 since the last time he took an active role in wrestling at all. It sounds to me like he made the decision to retire and go into MMA to support himself. He's been arrested a couple of times since then also. It's probably too easy to say that this is another example of a guy burning out in the WWE with nowhere else to go.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone is "owed" a living in professional wrestling, particularly when you're talking about someone who really only spent 4 or 5 years in the business. I think they are owed safety (i.e., the WWE should continue to look at the effects of concussions and the use of drugs to cope with pain) while they are performing, and the contracts and medical insurance issues that wrestlers have to deal with are downright Machiavellian. But past that? :shrug:

I'm staying away from all the speculation.

All I'm going to say is no. The WWE has no obligation to provide jobs for life for anyone. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ridiculous.

Why should they have to? Because they're the biggest wrestling company out there? Should NFL teams provide life long jobs for players who retire? NFL players have recently had some of the same issues that we see in wrestling.

WWE is already doing more than they should have to with the rehab stuff. Vince McMahon never forced any wrestlers to do drugs and drink alcohol.

When it's all said & done, people ultimately have a responsibility to look after their own interests rather than blame someone else for certain choices they've made.

Pro wrestling is physically dangerous because people really can and do sustain injury that can impact them as they grow older. If WWE "owes" former wrestlers something because of those risks they've taken, then you have to hold everyone from professional boxing to professional football to mixed martial arts to the same standard. The problem is, however, that certain people within the media frequently attempt to hold professional wrestling to a completely different set of standards. As a result, you'll have some opportunistic jackal playing at being a journalist, like Nancy Grace, or some know-it-all know-nothing political pundit weighing in without any of them even bothering to do any shred of basic research on what they're talking about. Pro wrestlers certainly aren't the only athletes involved in high contact athletics who've resorted to using drugs, blown through their money, made poor choices in both their personal & professional lives and suffered trauma that can have negative consequences later on down the road. You hear about it all the time in any number of sports, yet you don't hear the media going after fight promoters like Don King who've gotten filthy rich off the sweat, blood and physical trauma of top notch boxers over the years.

It's sad that tragedies like this happen. These people are human beings the same as anyone else. They're also human beings who knew that they were getting into a risky profession that boasted a high potential for sustaining significant injury while offering long odds of making it as a top tier level star making top tier level money. Like anyone who has a dream of being the next Kobe Bryant or Beyoncé, the odds of someone in pro wrestling becoming the next Stone Cold Steve Austin or John Cena aren't great. They know that going in and they go for it anyhow.

People make the wrong choices in life all the time, it's not some strange phenomenon limited to pro wrestling or the entertainment industry as a whole. For every pro wrestler that's fallen on hard times due to the physical risks involved with the business, poor money management or just flat out poor decision making, imagine how many more hard luck aspiring actors, MMA fighters, boxers and singers who've been chewed up and spit out by the dream they chased.

Okay what I'm about to say may seem harsh and it's really not meant to be that way at all.

Everytime a wrestler dies, however they die, the debate comes up about what the WWE could/should/would have done for these guys. The answer I'm sorry is nothing.

If they are an active wrestler on the roster then yes, the WWE has a responsibility to make sure they have the safest working environment possible, in an extremely unsafe working environment. Hope that made sense there.

If they have drug, mental or any kind of issues that could lead to themselves or someone around them getting hurt or worse killed, then it is their responsibility to make sure help is available if needed. It is also their responsibility to make sure these guys and gals, take advantage of all help offered. They could even go so far as to stop any push they are receiving, TV time their getting, in other words anything, until they get better.

Once they leave the WWE though it is a different story, just like anyone else who leaves any job. Once out you are are on your own, and responsible for your own actions. I don't know how much money they are paid, but all travel and accommodations are paid for them, so there is no reason they shouldn't be able to save some considering wrestling isn't a life long job to begin with.
They should be planning for their future while they still have a job.

It's very sad that wrestler's seem to gather the most spotlight after their dead, and the WWE always gets the blame for it. It doesn't seem to matter what decision making process the wrestler made whether good or bad, all that seems to matter is the fact that they worked for the WWE and now they are gone at a young age.

May Sean O'Haire rest in peace.

Okay what I'm about to say may seem harsh and it's really not meant to be that way at all.

Everytime a wrestler dies, however they die, the debate comes up about what the WWE could/should/would have done for these guys. The answer I'm sorry is nothing.

If they are an active wrestler on the roster then yes, the WWE has a responsibility to make sure they have the safest working environment possible, in an extremely unsafe working environment. Hope that made sense there.

If they have drug, mental or any kind of issues that could lead to themselves or someone around them getting hurt or worse killed, then it is their responsibility to make sure help is available if needed. It is also their responsibility to make sure these guys and gals, take advantage of all help offered. They could even go so far as to stop any push they are receiving, TV time their getting, in other words anything, until they get better.

Once they leave the WWE though it is a different story, just like anyone else who leaves any job. Once out you are are on your own, and responsible for your own actions. I don't know how much money they are paid, but all travel and accommodations are paid for them, so there is no reason they shouldn't be able to save some considering wrestling isn't a life long job to begin with.
They should be planning for their future while they still have a job.

It's very sad that wrestler's seem to gather the most spotlight after their dead, and the WWE always gets the blame for it. It doesn't seem to matter what decision making process the wrestler made whether good or bad, all that seems to matter is the fact that they worked for the WWE and now they are gone at a young age.

May Sean O'Haire rest in peace.

I agree with the rest of your post but the part I put in bold is wrong. I worked the front desk at a hotel and some of the wrestlers would come stay there when they had an event close by.

They pay for their own hotel and rent their own cars as well as pay for their meals minus catering at the building and also pay their own way if they get a day pass to a gym.

The hotel I worked at served a free hot breakfast so they could also take advantage of that as well if they are wanting to not pay for a breakfast.

All that being said they should still be able to budget their money and plan for retirement. Quite a few of them either go do other things or they do appearances for conventions or if you're Justin Credible you go work at Olive Garden.

No, I don't think WWE owe most ex-wrestlers a living, other than perhaps a guy like Droz who suffered paralysis in a match and would be unable to work in way for the rest of his life. WWE did the right thing by ensuring that Droz and his family are well looked after, giving Droz a small job working for the website.

I was a big Sean O'Haire fan. As I've mentioned on the RIP thread in the spam section, I really think O'Haire could have been mega star in wrestling. For a man his size to do what he could...what an athlete! I loved his "Devils Advocate" gimmick but for some reason it never quite worked out for him in WWE, and he barely wrestled again after leaving the company.

I've read that Sean had a failed MMA and Kickboxing career after retiring from wrestling but also went through a divorce, substance issues and losing partial vision in one of his eyes in a bar fight, but charges of battery against his partner at the time...so it's pretty clear life wasn't going well for him. Still, its really upsetting to me that such a talented guy, a man who had so much potential to be something special in wrestling has passed at such a young age.

However, I still don't think WWE "owed Sean a living". He didn't make it in the company for whatever reason, but it's not the company's fault he suffered the personal problems he did. It must be extremely depressing for wrestlers to deal with the fact they haven't achieved as much as they hoped they would, or that their dreams have been taken away- but it's not WWE's fault, just as I wouldn't expect my employer to do anything for me if I was made redundant from my job.

WWE offers ALL former talent a rehab program if it was needed- wrestlers such as Jake Roberts, Scott Hall, Justin Credible, X-Pac and Kurt Angle have all taken advantage of this to try and conquer their demons. Did Sean O'Haire use this? If not, then why not? WWE don't need to offer this service, but they do. So in this case I don't feel WWE have done anything wrong, and should be totally in the clear. They offer more help than they need to, and it's down to the wrestlers to deal with the fact they are no longer in the business.

this one is in no way on WWE or wrestling. Rest his soul but he a cup of coffee after WCW and hasn't worked there in almost 10 years.

I do not want to speak ill of the dead but look at guys like Hennig, Hawk, Rude or Bulldog. With the schedules they had to work in the 80s I can understand why they felt a need to self medicate (not that I agree, but see why they thought that.)

300+ matches per year, frequent blade jobs, and chair shots every night while working 20+ minute matches. Then hoping in a packed car and driving 250 miles for tomorrows shot. these guys died because it was what the felt the needed to get through. Guys like Lance Cade, Test and now O'Haire, they seem like they took drugs because they are wresters and that's what wrestler's do.

Here's the thing though, and I bring this up more as a point of debate as I think people are ultimately responsible for their own lives and actions, but what if the WWE failed in this duty when the guy was an active member of the roster?

They didn't have the same drug tests back then, it's a known fact that substance abuse was rampant in the WCW and the WWF during the Attitude Era and the mistakes of jacking up wrestlers were mostly reversed during this time. We all know the WWF liked a certain look (I think they've changed a lot now but we're talking about the past here) and so pressure would be on guys like O'Haire to get to a certain size.

We also know that pain killers were being heavily used during this time to combat the effects of the more hardcore, high risk style of the time, so you could argue that the WWF, WCW and certainly ECW, didn't provide wrestlers in this era with a safe working environment. That's before we get in to nonsense like dropping Sting and Owen Hart from the ceiling, having Mick Foley go face first through an announce table off the top of a cage and having Shane McMahon fall backwards from about 50 feet up in the air.

So, if the WWF failed in their duty to protect their employees during their time on the roster than are they culpable for anything that might arise from that down the line?

Here's the thing though, and I bring this up more as a point of debate as I think people are ultimately responsible for their own lives and actions, but what if the WWE failed in this duty when the guy was an active member of the roster?

They didn't have the same drug tests back then, it's a known fact that substance abuse was rampant in the WCW and the WWF during the Attitude Era and the mistakes of jacking up wrestlers were mostly reversed during this time. We all know the WWF liked a certain look (I think they've changed a lot now but we're talking about the past here) and so pressure would be on guys like O'Haire to get to a certain size.

We also know that pain killers were being heavily used during this time to combat the effects of the more hardcore, high risk style of the time, so you could argue that the WWF, WCW and certainly ECW, didn't provide wrestlers in this era with a safe working environment. That's before we get in to nonsense like dropping Sting and Owen Hart from the ceiling, having Mick Foley go face first through an announce table off the top of a cage and having Shane McMahon fall backwards from about 50 feet up in the air.

So, if the WWF failed in their duty to protect their employees during their time on the roster than are they culpable for anything that might arise from that down the line?

That's what they have WWE sponsored rehab for. Anyone who worked at the company at any point in time is allowed to go to rehab and WWE will pay for it.

Again I want to try to avoid speculation but an article on the main page here says that Sean O'Haire had gone to rehab 6 times on the WWE's dime and that WWE tried to reach out to him earlier this year but were unsuccessful.

I don't know if that's true or not.

However the topic at hand is should WWE give wrestlers a lifetime job after they retire. Such as an agent or producer or whatever and the answer is no. They have no obligation to do that.

You cannot say WWE failed any of it's guys from the past, as it all comes down to individual responsibility. Vince was acquitted of "pushing" roids onto his guys. Many, many people, not just wrestlers were recreational drug users and steroid users in the 80's and 90's. If anything it was more the 1990's where use of drugs became more "dangerous", look at the horror stories of the Kliq and it's not hard to see how some guys like Shawn are literally lucky to be alive and may not be into old age as a result of it all.

But they made their choices, if they'd shown up to work smacked off their tits, they'd have been fired... Vince was firing people for failing 1 drugs test as early as 85... Indeed Shawn was blackballed in 1999 for being a wreck.

Today you get more injuries, more 6 month layoffs because the roids that guys were taking routinely, were also helping them recover quicker from the tears and injuries that they were getting as a "side effect" of taking them. That means inherently they could recover better and were taking whatever pain meds or alcohol/drug they needed to mentally "get through". That's ALL off limits pretty much now with the exception of booze... on paper it's a "safer environment" but it only ever applies to after (or before) the next show... no one could ever turn up messed up and work, except Andre...and he couldn't get "messed up". Today an injury means time away, which was the issue before with guys "working hurt". No roids or pain meds means they often can't and with WWE being more responsible on concussions and the like, then guys hurt get time off... so they can't be "burned out" from the road, just their own problems or rehab if they are hurt for example.

It seems O'Haire WAS using the WWE sponsored rehab so this is quite sad and gets WWE away from a lot of negativity...they offered help, he took it but wasn't strong enough to beat his demons... that's not a wrestling issue, that's a personal one... and as much as Vince has helped guys... he gave Hall, Davey, Marty Jannetty and the like numerous chances. But they have to help themselves and sadly O'Haire doesn't seem to have been able too, just like Awesome, Kanyon and others before them.

This one is tricky. Honestly he owes them nothing as it is a job like anywhere else. In this case, he wasn't working for Vince anymore and hadn't for years so it really doesn't make sense. However, you look at wwe and you see a huge difference between what top guys like Cena and a guy like OHaire were paid and I think that is where Vince owes them more. They may not be your top draws but they are the ones who give you a show. Imagine wwe if you lost all your lower talent and about half your mid card. Would be great wouldn't it? All big time matches, all the time. How long until business drops because all we get are the same 10 matches? wwe doesn't seem to realize they need these talents and should pay them a bit more than they do. This would give then that little extra to put away for the future. I think to an extent Vince has acknowledged that he took advantage of the guys in the past and now offers things like free rehab so he is trying to help but I don't think he owes anyone in a case like this.

WWE doesn't owe any of their employees, just like any company doesn't owe any employee that they eventually release. O'Haire's case is a tragedy, because I genuinely do believe the guy had talent, but it's up to him to manage his own life. Obviously, we don't know what happened to O'Haire, whether it was drugs, depression or money issues.

But the fact is, WWE does do a lot of good stuff for people who are former employees. They offer to pay for rehab for drug and alcohol addicts that were formerly employed by the company. Scott Hall, Jake Roberts, and several others have all been part of this programme. It may give WWE some good press, but I genuinely believe that Vince has some good in him, and cares about some of the people that need his help, especially those who he's grown close to over the years, like the names mentioned above. WWE doesn't have to pay for rehab for former employees, but they do.

O'Haire's suicide is indeed a tragedy. But WWE do deserve to not be held accountable for deaths of former employees, especially when the employees were released a decade ago. O'Haire couldn't make it in the big leagues, and that's a shame, but that's not WWE's fault. O'Haire clearly had issues that were completely removed from WWE, so it's unfair to blame WWE.

Vince owes people nothing after they die, and it's ridiculous to think he would. He is a generous and kind man though, so he does help out on special occasions. Sean O'Hare? lol "YOU GET NOTHING!! GOOD DAY SIR!" Sean was a never-was who hung himself a decade after he was rightfully dropped from the roster. He should have led a better life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back