your favourite Shawn Michaels match 1995-1997

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
like the title says shawn had some great matches in this time period which are regarded as legendary his match with Bret Hart and WM12, his Match with the Undertaker Badd Bllod 1997, The second Ladder Match with Scott Hall at Summerslam 1995 but instead of choosing a match thats known as a classic to the world ,choose another one which you could watch over and over again.

for me Shawn Michaels vs Mankind Mind Games 1996 this match showed everyone that HBK could go hardcore and he really showed his mean streak. and my other favourite which I watch over and over again is the Suvivor Seris 1995 10 man tag team wildcart match if you havent seen it its a classic and when Scott Hall jumped in the ring with HBK as a child i was so excited

Well, I loved HBK`s performance in the 1995 Royal Rumble in which he entered first and went on to win it all. He put on a great acrobatic performance and outlasted everyone and the controversial finish was a genius way for a heel HBK to take it. In my opinion this is one of the best, if not the best performance in a Rumble match in Royal rumble history.

Naturally anyone would say HBK vs. Bret Hart from Wrestlemania 12 was a classic, and you are right in saying that his match with Mankind was a great match as well. I would like to say that his match with Sycho Sid at Survivor Series 1996 was an interesting match by the crowd reaction. Not the greatest technical masterpiece, but it was really cool to see how the fans were changing at that time from liking super clean babyfaces and liking someone with an edge to him. I was also a fan of his match with Vader at Summerslam 1996. It showed that Shawn could wrestle with big guys and make good matches out of it, and in the case of The Undertaker, great matches.

definitely not my favorite but one that i feel gets VERY overlooked is his match with British Bulldog at KOTR 96. Great wrestling match and the addition of Mr Perfect and Owen at commentary just added more to the match. Very underrated match imo

Okay being a huge Michaels mark since I started watching wrestling in late 95, my favorite match in hindsight is the Iron Man Match against Bret at XII. On the downside of the match, it was babyface vs. babyface and all they did was talk on how they respected eachother. I now love that it was about the belt.(unlike now) But the one that I was completely invested in due to the storyline was his Second WWE Title win against Sid at Royal Rumble 97. When Sid turned heel against Shawn at Survivor Series I was completely devestated at how Shawn lost the belt. I couldnt believe how his "friend" turned on him by not keeping it clean. LOL...remember I was 9 at the time. So to see him get his "revenge" and his title back in his hometown of San Antonio was the first time I MTFO. I also agree with theBusiness on the KOTR 96 match with Bulldog is extremely underrated, I really wish they could have been able to feud one on one atleast one more time but we never got it. I remember thinking Bulldog would win and was so happy to see the next night on Raw that Shawn retained.

Michaels captured my attention above everyone because I lived the heartbreak when he kicked Marty in the face. I was 8 years old and was in the Era of Papa Shango vs. Warrior, Hulk Hogan..Bret and the gang etc.. I was a young mark. My mom's first words being said about wrasslin' were "You know it's fake?". I didn't care.

With that being said HBK was the first dude who I ever saw sell like a maniac and I loved every second of it. He would thrash and flail wildly about the ring and seize up on the ropes before he flopped about on the ground. His hair was long, he had a as he quotes himself "fat" body and he wasn't the most noticeable guy or certainly "way over" until his episode with Marty.(debate it but you'll stop eventually..)

In the 95-97 era this thread refers to I have to agree with above mentioned matches with Bulldog. They were very hard matches, one imparticular was on Monday Night Raw in October of 96. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM0W6CKDZ2w) Wonderful.

The match was a lead up to the Survivor Series 96' match with Sid. Owen was on commentary and was totally jiving with King. Michaels looks high as a kite on the way to the ring and tons of fans literally yank his arm into the crowd.

Enjoy the match.

Two matches no-one has mentioned yet:
Michaels Vs Jeff Jarrett at In Your House 2 a very good match between these two who worked very well together
Michaels Vs Owen Hart at In Your House 6 two of the best workers in the business who were both able to tell a good story within the ring

His match against Mankind on Raw in September of 97 was awesome, it was a case of two guys not cheaply rehashing their famous match and instead coming up with fresh offense and ideas, and of course a fresh dynamic as HBK was a tweener by now.

One Night Stand in the UK (Oct 97) for the European Title against the Bulldog was one of their best outings, Bulldog dropped weight to be faster and even though the match is best known for the controversy, the body of the work was excellent.

Last but not least the match with Owen Hart on the last Raw of 97, it was short but full of intensity and athleticism. It was the beginning of Owen's Black heart gimmick that I hoped would at least see him get a rematch at the Rumble, but he was transitioned into a European title feud with Triple H.

Shawn Michaels greatest match up until he fought Jericho at Mania 19 was his match with Manking at In Your House: Mind Games in September 1996. This was a classic and no match in that time went close for HBK. His matches with Sid were rubbish, his Iron Man Match with Hart was good, but not great. His match with Austin at KOTR 1997 was good until the poor botched finish.

I'm shocked that no one has pointed out HIAC against Taker. His performance in this match is off the charts and even though the ending isn't the greatest, the work put in by both men was amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back