Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Marvel_vs_Capcom_2.PNG

One of the biggest and most popular fighters ever vs. the game that took Resident Evil in a whole new direction. Both garnered universal critical acclaim, and both have been ported and remade numerous times to numerous consoles. The choice is yours.

Resi4-gc-cover.jpg

Damn MvC2 is losing, but it's ok seeing how it's RE4. Before I found F.E.A.R., Resident Evil was the end all of horror games for me. 4 was no different as I spent many weekend nights on the PS2 with the blanket over my head shooting even the smallest thing that I think I saw move on the screen. I would still say Leon > Chris. However, Marvel vs Capcom 2, to me is the greatest fighting game of all time including Soulcalibur, Street Fighter, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat. With one of the deepest rosters of fighters, the gameplay was near perfection with unique combos that can chain from specials or assists from the other party members. The assist system helped bring an excellent spin as depending on how you use them; it would definitely be the deciding factor in a win or lose. The game is still actively played online despite having a sequel with way better graphics available. I can accept RE4 winning but I would like to see MvC2 somehow pull out the victory.

Why is Marvel VS Capcom losing? To RE4? One game is synonymous with the fighting game genre. It could easily be called the standard bearer of the genre. RE4 to me was great. But it was also forgettable. Yeah, I said that. It is. It has fallen tot he times. While MVC2 is a rare gem that Capcom is still trying to emulate and has been for over a decade. RE4 fell behind with the times. Games came after it that reproduced the feeling pretty well. Meanwhile fighting games have not been as mayor as in the days of MVC2 no matter how many times Capcom and Namco try to say otherwise.

Too me, MVC2 was a far better game that mixed the fantasy of many comic book fans along with those of a game fan, labelled it "party game" and let it roll. I remember the catchy "Select Your Heroes" tune as well as some stage music that buzzes around my head. I remember the feeling of performing a 3-Way Hyper Comb and bashing the buttons believing it would do more damage. With RE4, all I felt I got was me rescuing the oblivious Ashley Graham from the damn Los Iluminados. To be honest, I'd rather have fun than enjoy a game trying to scare me.

I probably shouldn't really comment on this because I've not played MVC3. However, I have played MVC 3 and I can't put it any simpler than this. It was shit. As a fighting game it failed miserably. It was unforgettable as being possibly the worst fighting game I've ever played.

So I'd probably vote for a more forgettable good game over it. As it happens though, Resident Evil 4 was not in the least bit forgettable, for me at least. I played through the game once, one single time, and I can still remember pretty much scene for scene what happened in it. It came out towards the end of the PS2's lifeline and yet it had many people at the time calling it the best PS2 game ever.

This match ought to have been a drubbing. A game which was the best at what it did on it's release, which was to scare people but also have a great story and re-vitalised the series, against a game which failed miserably at what it tried to do if it's anything like it's updated brother. You know it makes sense.

I probably shouldn't really comment on this because I've not played MVC3. However, I have played MVC 3 and I can't put it any simpler than this. It was shit. As a fighting game it failed miserably. It was unforgettable as being possibly the worst fighting game I've ever played.

So I'd probably vote for a more forgettable good game over it. As it happens though, Resident Evil 4 was not in the least bit forgettable, for me at least. I played through the game once, one single time, and I can still remember pretty much scene for scene what happened in it. It came out towards the end of the PS2's lifeline and yet it had many people at the time calling it the best PS2 game ever.

This match ought to have been a drubbing. A game which was the best at what it did on it's release, which was to scare people but also have a great story and re-vitalised the series, against a game which failed miserably at what it tried to do if it's anything like it's updated brother. You know it makes sense.
If you never played it, you shouldn't stick your foot in your mouth. Because it's obvious you are pointing fingers at stuff that isn't there. You say the sequel to MVC2 is crap but give no reason other than "it failed". Why did it fail? The game was released as a fanboys wet dream after it was cried about for over 10 years. MVC2 was the most popular 2D fighting arcade game in a period when arcades were long past dead. It revived the arcade corpse. MVC2 to this day is still on demand while RE4 is a left behind gem. You call RE4 one of the best PS2 games out there (even though it's mainly a Gamecube game), MVC2 was the last of a long line of gems on the Dreamcast and the arcade market. MVC2 still draws, RE4 doesn't.

I have fond memories of spending countless hours playing MvC 2 against friends, pitting our favorite game characters and comic heroes in seizure-inducing clashes of epic epicness.

BUT Resident Evil 4 all the way. I've always loved the story and atmosphere of the RE games but the gameplay was some rocky stuff at times. RE 4 took pretty much every complaint I had about it's predecessors and eliminated them. The annoying tank controls were replaced with a far more intuitive over-the-shoulder mechanic resulting in much smoother, tighter gameplay, making blasting zombies a breeze (though not being able to move while shooting is a pain). While it was much more action oriented, it still managed to stay scary, something RE 5 struggled with. Not to mention it also had that awesome knife fight.

MvC 2 is a great game, but was surpassed in every way by MvC 3 (and if you'd like my in-depth opinion as to why, check out my MvC 3 review here) I've always found MvC to be a lot of fun, but I've always preferred less chaotic, more precision-based fighters like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Like any fighter, skill is important, but this series has always been a button-masher's dream come true. You could just mash the control and unleash a flurry of assist attacks and special moves, robbing the game of any strategy. Not to mention the somewhat lackluster roster, which featured predominantly X-Men and Street Fighter characters instead of a more thorough representation of both universes.

While Marvel vs Capcom 2 is a fun fighter, Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece in survival horror and it'll survive this round no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back