Guns N Roses vs Bon Jovi

• Guns N Roses

• Bon Jovi

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

80's Region Final Four Match #2

#2 Guns N Roses vs #3 Bon Jovi

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE BAND YOU INTEND TO VOTE FOR! MOVING FORWARD, IF YOU CLICK THE WRONG BAND, YOUR VOTE WILL HAVE TO STAND!

Polls will be open for 7 days. You don't need to vote right away - let's see some debate on these two bands before you all vote the winner in!

I have to go with Guns 'N Roses here. While I've always thought they were vastly overrated, their music is simply better than Bon Jovi's in my honest opinion. Slash is definitely one of the greatest guitarists of all time, with massive influence over all current guitarists. Axl Rose might have a decent range, but I've always found his voice horrible and annoying. He's the only thing I don't like about the Guns.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Bon Jovi is the wussiest band of all time. They have some decent material, but I don't think it's enough for them to get back the Guns here. The Guns helped change the musical landscape in the late 80's. They were heavy enough for guys to like them, and pretty/glammy enough for girls to like them. It was a good combination for them to get record sales, which obviously they did.

I'm not a big fan of either band, but the Guns take it for me. There's no question that it's a close call, with the longevity of Bon Jovi. But the Guns are the superior band in my opinion.

If Guns N Roses wins here, I honestly feel they have NO CHANCE in the regional finals against Metallica. GnR and Metallica appealed to a lot of the same fans - both bands were huge proponents of hard rock and heavy metal. The two bands even toured together, with GnR opening for Metallica, which means VERY FEW metal / rock fans would vote for GnR. In fact, I'll predict it now. If GnR wins this, Metallica wins the regional final in a 20-6 blowout.

Bon Jovi, on the other hand, appeals to more mainstream fans, and unlike Axl, Slash, and co, Bon Jovi never let their egos or substance abuse derail what they did musically. Bon Jovi even can make a legit claim that they've had more longevity than Metallica.

It's a shame it won't be Bon Jovi vs U2...but one of these two bands will have a shot, and I think Bon Jovi is the only one with a snowballs chance in hell.

I've gotta say Gun's 'N' Roses on this one.

Appitite for Destruction was truely a ground breaking album when it was released in 1987. It broke the hair band metal mold and was just pure sex/drugs/rock and roll and dare I say, laid the ground work for Metallica to get mainstream airplay/exposure.

Plus on a personal note Duff McKagan is a really nice guy.

Going with Bon Jovi on this one. If Bon Jovi hadn't continually adapted to the times, and stayed in the 80s glam band mode, I definitely would have voted for GnR, but, Jon Bon Jovi, unlike Axel Rose, adapted to the changing times. Bon Jovi is still around, with the original lineup. I can't say whether Slash is a better guitarist than Richie Sambora, in my mind, its a push. Slash can blaze better, but Sambora is more technically sound. I do know that Jon Bon Jovi is a much better frontman than Axel Rose ever was. Axel Rose is the only frontman I can think of that came off as utterly despising being in a rock band. There were times when it just felt like Axel resented being famous. He ruined what had the potential to be the greatest force in the history of hard rock. GnR was on their way to being rock gods, and Axel Rose blew it. For that, screw you, Axel Rose.

Going with Bon Jovi on this one. If Bon Jovi hadn't continually adapted to the times, and stayed in the 80s glam band mode, I definitely would have voted for GnR, but, Jon Bon Jovi, unlike Axel Rose, adapted to the changing times.

Please, Axl didn't need to adapt cause he was already ahead of the curve, Axl was constantly taking things to the next level, Bon Jovi, just basically continued to suck through out their entire careers, they are possiably the most overrated band in this region and don't even deserve to be compared to the greatness that is GnR
Bon Jovi is still around, with the original lineup.

And they still sound like ass...

I can't say whether Slash is a better guitarist than Richie Sambora, in my mind, its a push. Slash can blaze better, but Sambora is more technically sound.

Dude, Slash is one of the best guitarist in the history of music, he was just as important to GnR as Axl was

I do know that Jon Bon Jovi is a much better frontman than Axel Rose ever was.

Um no, when Axl was on he was the best in the buisness, no one could compare

GnR was on their way to being rock gods, and Axel Rose blew it. For that, screw you, Axel Rose.

GnR are rock gods, and the only reason people are voting agaisnt them is becasue of Axl's ego and shitty attitude, which shouldn't even be a thought in this tournament, you should be taking in to factor which band is MORE TALENTED, not which band has the least egotistical frontman, voting against GnR simply cause you think Axl is a dick is just stupid

GnR are rock gods, and the only reason people are voting agaisnt them is becasue of Axl's ego and shitty attitude, which shouldn't even be a thought in this tournament, you should be taking in to factor which band is MORE TALENTED, not which band has the least egotistical frontman, voting against GnR simply cause you think Axl is a dick is just stupid

I disagree with you here, Justin.

The attitude and ego of Axl Rose is absolutely a viable and acceptable argument against Guns N Roses, since along the lines of the longevity criterion, Axl had a HUGE negative effect.

Fact is, had Axl Rose's attitude and BS not derailed GnR, we'd be discussing their chance to win this entire tournament. Sadly, that is not the case. Thanks mainly to Axl's crap, GnR ended before they even exited their first prime.

Bon Jovi, on the other hand, has had about three primes now, with the latest occuring still as we speak. Original lineup and all, because the most important thing was the music.

And Justin, you can get away with accusing Bon Jovi of being a bit soft or watered down (which I expect from you, since you once tried to convince people that Machine Head deserved to advance far in the tournament - you have a slightly higher emphasis placed on the hardness of the music than most fans do), but to say that they sound like shit is ignorance. Musically, Bon Jovi is VERY well put together. It's classic blue collar rock - not as whiney as John Cougar Mellancamp (thank god) and not as mumbly and depressing as Springsteen.

Bon Jovi, along with VERY few bands (such as Aerosmith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and perhaps Metallica) can say they had more than one prime, or a late rennassaince period. Guns N Roses, once again, wasted the one prime they had. Sure, they made amazing music in that time, but to say that Axl's attitude shouldn't factor in the voting is simply naive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back