A Way to Get Out of the Impact Zone

TLDD

Dark Match Winner
I'm not sure if there has been a thread on this topic before and if this thread gets merged then I know there was one similar. Anyways...

I've seen a lot of comments in other sections from TNA fans including myself who wants TNA to get out of the Impact Zone. We know that the Impact Zone gives TNA a low budget feel and I believe half the people at the weekly Impacts and PPV'S are not even real wrestling fans. They see a free show and think hey why not. Anyways TNA has been taking PPV'S like Lockdown, Slammiversary and Bound For Glory on the road. They have run some Impacts on the road and they do their weekly house shows. But they always seem to run bigger venues.

We all know that they will have their 2013 Lockdown event at the Alamodome. We all know that they will carry a ton of costs for travel, venue costs, etc. We all know that the only reason their holding this event there is to say that they did it. What I'd like to see them do is this...

Run shows at a decent size arena. The costs are a hell of a lot lower. Growing up in Western Pennsylvania ECW made regular stops our way. A few of the buildings they held events at included the...

CCBC Golden Dome in Monaca PA... They had their first televised November to Remember 97 PPV there. They had over 4,600 fans in attendance for that PPV. They held many other live events there drawing around 2,000-3,000 for each event.

David L. Lawerence Convention Center in Pittsburgh PA... After the Golden Dome and ECW had a falling out they held their events here. The average crowd was probably between 1,500-2,500 +/-.

They ran events at the Hammerstein Ballrooom in NYC, events at a smaller arena in Buffalo NY, Cleveland, Dayton, Michigan and so forth. Some of these buildings have a capacity of maybe 4,000 tops while others have lower capacities. To me this would be a great way to get out of Orlando FL and get your product out in the open. A lot of the cities on the east coat are rich in wrestling and they would be more then willing to let you know how your product is doing. At the same time you don't have such a low budget feel and the wrestling fans are real fans.
What's your opinion?

The problem with everyone wanting TNA to leave the Impact Zone is everything that TNA stands for. People go to TNA for the lighter schedule. TNA does this because it is an alternative from what WWE offers. WWE pays for hotels for its top stars. TNA does a lot of pay-per-appearances. This meaning travel would be on the wrestler and if they are traveling to make 500$ and the total trip cost them 600$ then that wouldn't work would it? It be a loss for said wrestler and eventually they would quit TNA because it is causing said wrestler to go in debt.

TNA wrestlers say they really like the lighter work load and is a positive aspect for working for TNA. Sure, it makes TNA look low budget being in the Impact Zone, but it could be a lot worse. It could look like it did in 2004ish, with the face tunnels and the heel tunnels.

TNA has put in a lot of work with the set and with Impact as a whole. Sure they get bashed a lot as a low rent WWE. The thing is, if you actually watch TNA (not you per say), you'd realize it is a totally different company than WWE.

Maybe one day TNA will leave the Impact Zone. Until then, it is what it is. Until TNA wants to commit to the travel --which it stands against, then TNA might end up leaving the Impact Zone. Until then, me myself am perfectly content with TNA being in the Impact Zone. I enjoy the stuff going inside the building. I don't watch for the building.

I'm not sure if there has been a thread on this topic before and if this thread gets merged then I know there was one similar. Anyways...

I've seen a lot of comments in other sections from TNA fans including myself who wants TNA to get out of the Impact Zone. We know that the Impact Zone gives TNA a low budget feel and I believe half the people at the weekly Impacts and PPV'S are not even real wrestling fans. They see a free show and think hey why not. Anyways TNA has been taking PPV'S like Lockdown, Slammiversary and Bound For Glory on the road. They have run some Impacts on the road and they do their weekly house shows. But they always seem to run bigger venues.

We all know that they will have their 2013 Lockdown event at the Alamodome. We all know that they will carry a ton of costs for travel, venue costs, etc. We all know that the only reason their holding this event there is to say that they did it. What I'd like to see them do is this...

Run shows at a decent size arena. The costs are a hell of a lot lower. Growing up in Western Pennsylvania ECW made regular stops our way. A few of the buildings they held events at included the...

CCBC Golden Dome in Monaca PA... They had their first televised November to Remember 97 PPV there. They had over 4,600 fans in attendance for that PPV. They held many other live events there drawing around 2,000-3,000 for each event.

David L. Lawerence Convention Center in Pittsburgh PA... After the Golden Dome and ECW had a falling out they held their events here. The average crowd was probably between 1,500-2,500 +/-.

They ran events at the Hammerstein Ballrooom in NYC, events at a smaller arena in Buffalo NY, Cleveland, Dayton, Michigan and so forth. Some of these buildings have a capacity of maybe 4,000 tops while others have lower capacities. To me this would be a great way to get out of Orlando FL and get your product out in the open. A lot of the cities on the east coat are rich in wrestling and they would be more then willing to let you know how your product is doing. At the same time you don't have such a low budget feel and the wrestling fans are real fans.
What's your opinion?

Your idea is great, but I would probably only test that with Pay Per Views and House Shows. Having zero PPVs at the Impact Zone would take away that low budget feel and would get the product out there at the same time effectively. Considering there are only 12 PPVs a year, well, now 10, it could a great experiment. I honestly don’t know the logistics and the cost of having an event, but just to be on the safe side, I’d keep the weekly Impacts in the Impact Zone.

I think the Impact Zone is fine. Just like the poster above me says its an alternative to the WWE's hectic schedule and means. I mean it could use a makeover still IMO but its nice for these guys. My problem is being from Orlando is I have to walk all into universal studios to get there. If it was easier to access I would go more often.

You know, when the very wrestlers who take advantage of said light schedule say they want the product to go on the road, it's pretty obvious that them being stranded in Orlando is just not a positive at all. It's also stupid when you stop to think that the roster doesn't all live in Orlando. Matter of fact, I don't recall a single wrestler being billed from Orlando. They travel regardless. It's stupid to say staying on the Impact Zone lightens their load because it just plain doesn't. The product needs expansion and not being a side attraction to Universal Studios and Islands Of Adventure would be a nice start.

Yeah some have places in Orlando and some live her despite not being billed. I think your whining a little too much about something that can't really happen. I understand what your saying I really do but Impact Zone being there like 4 weeks in a row is a light schedule compared to going to Pittsburgh to Afghanistan to Brooklyn to Miami in 2 weeks. I just think they should move outside Universal Studios if anything. Free shows are awesome btw, especially if you live here. That could be why I feel like the Impact Zone is fine.

I agree with and understand that wrestlers go there for a lighter schedule. They still do their TNA live tour though so why not use one of those days each month for a pay per view? The talent will be traveling anyway.

Really I don't think it would hurt them to trade out one of those dates.
It gives them a chance to perform in a bigger arena and draw more fans. When they had the pay per view in Texas they didn't have to "paper" very much at all so that should show people are willing to pay to see the product live.

First let me start off by saying that I don't like the IZ and I think from the fans perspective, getting out would help product.

However, I'm sure TNA would go on the road more often if it made financial sense. They experimented last year with a few dates and I don't know how it did financially but kind of died after that. This year they made a big move by changing time slots and going live. Throw the travel and set up costs of doing live shows on the road and it may not make financial sense whether it is in a 90,000 seat stadium, a 20,000 seat arena or a 5,000 seat auditorium.

This idea is nice and all but I'm sure TNA has plenty of analysts and experts working on their options for opportunity. This idea just happens to be one that is not viable at the moment or maybe it is coming up and we haven't been informed yet.

The IWC should stick to bitching about storylines and match quality and Brooke Hogan.

I've said this a million times - WHERE they hold the event is completely irrelevant. The arena doesn't make the show better or worse, the fans do!

Listen, if the fans in the Impact Zone were hot, crazy and contributing to the show these discussions about "moving out of the Impact Zone" wouldn't even cross our minds. A 1.200 people crowd is enough to make a show great if they perform as well as the wrestlers.

As long as there's chairs and a ring - that's really all they need. With a boring crowd anything more than that would be lipstick on a pig.

They need to stay whereever they feel is best. What they REALLY need are fired up fans. Unfortunately that's something they can't control.

You know, when the very wrestlers who take advantage of said light schedule say they want the product to go on the road, it's pretty obvious that them being stranded in Orlando is just not a positive at all. It's also stupid when you stop to think that the roster doesn't all live in Orlando. Matter of fact, I don't recall a single wrestler being billed from Orlando. They travel regardless. It's stupid to say staying on the Impact Zone lightens their load because it just plain doesn't. The product needs expansion and not being a side attraction to Universal Studios and Islands Of Adventure would be a nice start.

I get what you are saying about talent not living in Orlando. The thing is, two flights a week is a better than 5 to 10 flights a week. (might be a stretch) Sure, there are wrestlers saying that the product should go on the road, but that same wrestler is also saying how the lighter schedule is better for them. I believe Angel mentions this a lot.

They travel regardless yes, but they aren't traveling everyday every week. Flying is a pain in the ass. It also has positives for staying in Orlando, too. Less money for travel, can continue to do the pay-per-appearances (cheaply), less crew members to pay whilst on the road etc etc. Sure the crowd gets tiring at the Impact Zone and the road crowds are better. Makes for and exciting TV, just in my eyes TNA doesn't have the funds to be touring like the WWE does.

They make pennies on the dollar touring. Money is from PPV's and merchandise. TNA needs to get exposure yes, but in the long run, if all the touring don't pay off then where will TNA be? It is a risk yes, and sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Sometimes spending that money can cause you to go bankrupt.

And again, the lighter schedule does work for the wrestlers in TNA. Think of how many reports you read where a wrestler states they like the lighter work load. Hell, the TNA Heavyweight Champion Jeff Hardy states that it is a positive thing going for TNA. You just got to think, if TNA was like 'hey, where going on the road 324 days a year', how happy do you think the under paid talents are going to be? Knowing they need to pay for their own travel. A somewhat happy locker room is better than an empty pissed off locker room.

Being a sideshow at an amusement park is always going to make TNA look low budget. Yes it costs money to take your show on the road, but as the old saying goes "You gotta spend money to make money." If you're always running shows in the same place you're gonna keep getting the same fans. That's ok if you're some podunk jerkwater indy fed but not when you're trying to be a player on the national scene.

If we are talking live impacts on a weekly basis, then it would work. Whats the difference f a talent has to fly into Orlando for one day versus having to fly to PA or NY? Besides it would help the lower guys make more money. If I am a promoter in say Ohio and TNA runs an Impact Thursday night, I would book a Gunner or such to headline my show that weekend. I have been to the Impact Zone and it does have a low budget feel. Most people who wait in line, think its for ride.

You'd think, that they would go to Spike asking for more funding if they get the ratings up by going on the road. If they pitched to them that their ratings would go up if they took the show on the road, surely Spike would say "yea we like the sound of that, how much more is it gonna cost us...?"

I Would like to see them out of the impact zone more, but the expense would not be in their budget to travel like the wwe does.

But what i would like to see is TNA traveling to different locations during the 'bound for glory series season'. Each and every impact is hosted at a different venue each week leading to their final stop at the BFG location.

I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I think with all the cost it saves they really don't have enough to justify leaving it just for the sake of going to other venues.

As much as I would like to see in TNA in larger arenas, they're not going to draw enough to go to worthwhile arenas. Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned ECW arenas, let me remind you that those venues were garbage. I was at November to Remember 2000 at the Odeum in Villa Park, IL, This was ECW's big show (I remember the Heyman promos: The NFL has the superbowl, WWF has Wrestlemania, WCW has... well WCW has SHIT, But ECW has November to Remember) and remember the dirty ass atmosphere vividly. 4,600 people at that show. I went to a CZW show at the ECW Arena(R.I.P.) more recently, POS bingo hall. Hammerstein ballroom? Actually looks kinda cool on TV, but still a crap venue. These places looked like shit on TV and even worse in person. Go youtube ECW, ROH, Chikara, CZW, DGUSA, etc. and pay attention to the bingo halls these shows are held, you tell me any one of them looks better on television than the Impact zone. It works for those small time promotions because it works for their character. Serious wrestling fan's don't give a damn what kind of crap venue they're in, TNA isn't just for the hardcore.

TNA is selling 4,000 tickets in the 70,000 seat alamodome and goes on location for 4 PPVs a year, They're not anywhere near at the level where it would be worth leaving the zone for. I'm no mathamagician or finance expert but it's pretty clear to me that putting a wrestling show on the road with a good looking stage and nice production is just too damn costly for a company like TNA to do. Once they start doing all their PPVs outside the IZ then maybe they'll start gaining enough traction to take their weekly show out.

Florida has ALWAYS been a hub for wrestling. Orlando is a great spot right between Volusia and Sarasota counties, about an hour either way. It's an easy place for wrestlers to get to on a weekly basis. As far as traveling schedule just imagine how much less of a draw TNA would get without the appeal of Hogan or Sting. It's perfect for those kind of part time guys, It's a huge perk for them to be involved in the organization.

I'm not saying the Impact Zone is great and I see how people consider it a burden, but on the grand scheme of things it's very low on the totem of TNA problems. If TNA can keep growing I'm very confident it can break out of the small venue and move into 10,000 fan arenas within a few years, Sooner for pay per views. For the time being though, they're fine right where they are.

Some have correctly brought up the fact that what hurts the produce the most are the fans who come into the IZ and not the venue it self.

TNA needs to find a venue to replace the IZ instead of touring and here is why

TNA would keep the relaxed schedule that seems to be a reason why many wrestlers have stayed with the company
Orlando studious forces TNA to give preference to those with studio passes and they make no gate money. If TNA finds another venue, they can charge people and lure real wrestling fans and create a better atmosphere.

TNA's biggest challenge with this idea will be to find a venue that would agree to a recurrent schedule. NXT is recorded from some university auditorium but they record more than one show at once. IMHO, TNA needs to stick to live Impact shows since its their main show and in this day and age spoilers really hinder the product. The Impact zone allowed TNA to show Impact live from the same location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back