AJ vs HBK

ztwhite

The Future Mr. Kelly Kelly
It's been an interesting 'rumor' (if you can call it that) for a few months, but business has really picked up in the past 24 hours.

A.J. did an interview with Sports Illustrated and discussed a Royal Rumble match with Shawn Michaels (click the link below).

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/10/20/aj-styles-shawn-michaels-royal-rumble

A short time later, he posted what I'm assuming is a fan made photo which promotes the match (click the link below).

https://twitter.com/AJStylesOrg/status/789193575737073668

We all know HBK has stated again and again that he wrestled his last match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXVI.

A lot of guys and gals have a hard time staying out of the ring and HBK has been no exception. But he's has not wrestled since that Mania match.

Is A.J. Styles the guy to draw him out of retirement, at the Royal Rumble in San Antonio (HBK's hometown), in front of 80,000+?

It's hard to say really. There were the same rumblings going on for a possible match between Michaels & Daniel Bryan for WrestleMania XXX, but it never materialized.

As far as HBK's desire to get back into the ring, I honestly think that he's content with his place in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise, I think he'd have come back to wrestle before now. That's not to say that it couldn't happen, I just think the odds are against it. However, as Goldberg stated on Raw, never say never and it's something that we should honestly do by now as we've seen so many "never" happenings come to pass in WWE over the course of the current decade.

I'm wondering if HBK is still in ring shape. The few times he's appeared on WWE programming here and there, he's looked to be in great shape, but that doesn't mean that he's still able to go inside the ring at a level comparable to, let's face it, what we all expect and/or want to see. The Rock looked more jacked and chiseled than ever during his matches with Punk & Cena, but the guy's stamina and cardio were dramatically subpar.

HBK is one of these guys that many think of when it comes to dream match scenarios: HBK against Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Shinsuke Nakamura, CM Punk and, of course, AJ Styles just to name a few. If HBK is healthy, if he's willing and if he's able to perform at a high level, then I'd be interested.

Why Royal Rumble? This is easily a Wrestlemania worthy match, would probably steal the show? The Face that Runs the Place needs a WM moment, who better than Mr. Wrestlemania himself?

Why Royal Rumble? This is easily a Wrestlemania worthy match, would probably steal the show? The Face that Runs the Place needs a WM moment, who better than Mr. Wrestlemania himself?

Because the Rumble is being held in an 80 000 seat stadium in HBK's hometown. So that's one reason.

Honestly I'd like to see it. SmackDown has essentially zero credible challengers for the title anyways aside from Cena, so why not have HBK come back for one match. For me me, Styles and HBK is a legitimate dream match, and a Michaels return in San Antonio would be huge. Fucking Goldberg came back in 2016, seeing Shawn Michaels in 2017 doesn't seem that big a stretch.

That being said, I still think the Rumble will need more if they want to sell out tht venue, they're gonna have to throw absolutely everything they can onto that show. HBK vs. Styles is cool for die-hard wrestling fans, but they need to attract a wide audience.

If HBK was gonna wrestle again, he would have done so years ago. Now he's 51, 52. He went out with a bang. Yes it's a dream match and I would love to see it, but it's not happening.

I'd love to see it but I have zero faith in this happening. But since presidential elections and the internet are made for meritless speculation let's just say Vince made a deal with HBK where HBK would come out of retirement for one night if Vince would get him a supporting role in a movie about finding faith.

I would love this dream match to take place.

Both AJ Styles and Shawn Michaels are one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and seeing them compete against each other for the first time would be great.

HBK would provide a great rub to AJ Styles' title run by putting him over.

I hope that it isn't just a rumour.

I'm not always supportive of matches where one of the combatants is coming out of retirement. But I'd definitely throw my weight being this match. What a fantastic spectacle it would be. AJ has been one of the best things in the WWE since WrestleMania and he deserves a big match as a reward for that. The Brand Extension has allowed him to shine and win over plenty of new fans that would love to see this match. The match would take place in Shawn's home town, which would add another dimension to the match. But the final piece of positivity on this match is just how good we know it could be. AJ and Shawn are amongst two of the greatest to ever lace up their boots. Seeing them go toe to toe would be an iconic moment.

That said, I don't think we'll be looking forward to this match come January. Shawn wrestled the perfect last match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania 26, it might even have been his best ever match. Shawn also strikes me as a proud man. So with that in mind, it seems highly unlikely that Shawn would take the risk of ruining that final match's legacy with a throw away match against AJ. I'm sure the match would be epic but would it come close to WM26? I don't think so. Additionally, I think the WWE needs to start focusing on the future. There are plenty of guys on the Smackdown roster that could be doing with a title feud and a match with AJ Styles. Having him work against Michaels might be a dream match but it accomplishes nothing.

To me, this just stinks of playfulness. I don't think there are serious discussions going on and I don't think it'll result in this match happening.

I'm not always supportive of matches where one of the combatants is coming out of retirement. But I'd definitely throw my weight being this match. What a fantastic spectacle it would be. AJ has been one of the best things in the WWE since WrestleMania and he deserves a big match as a reward for that. The Brand Extension has allowed him to shine and win over plenty of new fans that would love to see this match. The match would take place in Shawn's home town, which would add another dimension to the match. But the final piece of positivity on this match is just how good we know it could be. AJ and Shawn are amongst two of the greatest to ever lace up their boots. Seeing them go toe to toe would be an iconic moment.

That said, I don't think we'll be looking forward to this match come January. Shawn wrestled the perfect last match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania 26, it might even have been his best ever match. Shawn also strikes me as a proud man. So with that in mind, it seems highly unlikely that Shawn would take the risk of ruining that final match's legacy with a throw away match against AJ. I'm sure the match would be epic but would it come close to WM26? I don't think so. Additionally, I think the WWE needs to start focusing on the future. There are plenty of guys on the Smackdown roster that could be doing with a title feud and a match with AJ Styles. Having him work against Michaels might be a dream match but it accomplishes nothing.

To me, this just stinks of playfulness. I don't think there are serious discussions going on and I don't think it'll result in this match happening.
You're right. But still we're getting Brock Lesnar Vs. Goldberg II at Survivor Series.

Atleast AJ Vs. Shawn would be much better than Brock Lesnar Vs. Goldberg II as unlike in the latter case, AJ Styles could get a huge rub off Shawn Michaels. He would get incredible heel heat in Shawn's hometown by defeating him.

I think the WWE needs to start focusing on the future.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I don't necessarily agree either.

The one thing about wrestling as a 'sport' or more a form of entertainment, is that we get to see people on the actual stage well into their 50's or 60's. While Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Sting, and The Undertaker aren't what they once were at that age, they can still climb between the ropes and actually compete.

Name another sport where that can happen. Payton Manning isn't coming back in a decade to face the New England Patriots. Derek Jeter won't be penciled in at shortstop for the New York Yankees in 2026. Michael Jordan isn't dropping 50 for the Chicago Bulls when he's 62... well, maybe Jordan could drop 25.

Point being... embracing the past is what makes wrestling awesome (at least on some levels). Look at how the crowd pops when a relic of the past makes an appearance.

So, while I agree that focusing on the future is indeed what's best for business, it's hard to overlook what's best for fan involvement (the casual fan, not the IWC fan). On that level of things, I really do believe Triple H has been damn near perfect at bringing the best of both worlds together.

I love Shawn but I'd rather he doesn't come back. In the WWE perfect moments are rare, Flair had one when he "retired" and he went and ruined it. You have to imagine Shawn was a little hurt by Flair devaluing it, and I don't think he'd want to repeat the same mistake. Shawn won't ever get a better character moment than that slap, his final act of rebellion before the end.

Wrestling is at its most dull, boring and predictable whenever WWE listens to the IWC who the majority of appear to be against HBK coming back, Coming up with all the excuses like "oh we have to think about the future" Its one match get over it! If you don't like it don't watch, Unless you work for the WWE, Why do WE or YOU have to think about WWE's future anyway? Its not meant to be taken that serious pro wrestling is meant to be fun stop trying to take the fun out of it!
I would love to see him back especially in a dream match against AJ Styles, It maybe wont be the HBK of the 90's but even if he's only half as good it should be an incredible match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back