And the winner of the match, by submission...

DarksideEric

Call me "Hadouken." I'm ↓→ fierce.
Which match(es) in wrestling do you feel had the best ending come by submission? Not who has the best finisher, I'm not asking that, but which submission ending do you feel was the best?

I feel a lot of people will most likely say Austin/Hart at Wrestlemania 13, and I would agree it is most likely *the* best submission finish.

However, let me give you my list that does not include Austin/Hart.

1: Benoit/Angle at Royal Rumble '03.

The Ankle Lock ender was just completely spot on for me, one of the most perfect wrestling submission finishes I've ever, ever seen. Benoit fought for so hard and for so long and it seemed he eventually tapped just because he knew there was no way he could break out of the hold. I don't think he tapped out from the pain, but recognizing he was completely trapped.

2: Angle/Michaels at Wrestlemania 21.

Quite nearly tied with Benoit/Angle for me, for the exact same reasons, but I feel Benoit showed us just that extra bit of emotion.

3: Hart/Benoit at Mayhem '99.

Not so much for once Benoit was fully caught in the submission like the prior two matches, but the back and forth leading up to it, more specifically the struggle Benoit put up before Hart finally fully locked it in.

I might get some heat for this but what about Trish Stratus' retirement match at Unforgiven (2006?).

The Sharpshooter made that crowd come absolutely unglued. The ending really made up for what was a little bit of an off night for both Trish & Lita. Crowd was behind Trish all the way but using Canada's favorite submission put over through the roof that night.

Angle/Michaels is a huge favourite of mine. Loved how HBK tried his hardest to break out of the Ankle Lock but Kurt would keep holding on, both men came out looking like warriors that would never quit. And I'm a fan of other matches with similar finishes where the person locked in the submission really struggles to try and break out.

Not actually a submission win but a pinfall win while a submission is locked in - Bret/Piper at Wrestlemania 8. Absolutely genius reversal, and Bret would go on to use it again in another classic encounter with Austin at Survivor Series 96.

The Rock's Sharpshooter on Mankind at Survivor Series 98. Truly shocking ending/heel turn that no one saw coming.

Lex Luger beating Hogan with the Torture Rack for the WCW Title on Nitro. A great moment during the WCW/nWo feud, I'll never forget the crowd exploding after Hogan submitted. It's just a shame Luger would lose the title back to Hogan 6 days later at Road Wild.

Benoit's Crippler Crossface on Triple H at Wrestlemania XX. Really big moment for Benoit and I just loved how he rolled himself and Triple H over into the middle of the ring just as it looked like Triple H was about to grab the ropes.

Cena's STFU on Triple H at Wrestlemania 22. Nothing spectacular but I liked it just for the fans reaction after Hunter tapped out. The shock & disappointment on the crowds faces had me bursting out in laughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phz-slox3IM - The guy at 30.56's reaction is my favourite

Bob Backlund vs Bret Hart when Backlund won the title from Bret.

It was such good progression in the story with Bret and Owen.

There was the emotion factor with their parents and Owen pleading for them to throw in the towel.

It was a great example of Bret being that fighting champion that refused to give up. It fit his character.

It was a dramatic finish and it allowed Bret to lose the title but look strong doing it.

Bret Hart countering Mr. Perfect's legdrop to slap on the SharpShooter at SummerSlam 91.

He's used that maneuver since then, but that was the first. It came outta nowhere and just like that, the match was over. Loved that ending.

It doesn't seem like submissions are as utilized these days. I guess they aren't as eventful as some devastating and finisher and the suspense of a 3 count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back