Anderson Silva suffers a broken leg

The previous video seems to have been taken down by YouTube already. So here are some links, for anyone interested that might have missed it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7K5o706yMfQ
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=URkbGDSzvUM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egETZVMnFsE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTzTd7NTxM

It seems unlikely that he will be able to make a comeback after an injury like that... And if he does, he most likely won't be as successful. Its a shame that he might have to retire because of an injury like that. Btw, its worth noting that many fans in the videos' comments section appear happy about it.

It seems unlikely that he will be able to make a comeback after an injury like that... And if he does, he most likely won't be as successful. Its a shame that he might have to retire because of an injury like that. Btw, its worth noting that many fans in the videos' comments section appear happy about it.

Meh, when you conduct yourself the way he did, its not surprising.

Caused by Weidman using the correct technique to block Anderson's attack.
So every time someone properly checks a leg kick, the kicker's tibia snaps apart and their fibula breaks as well?

That's such a stupid comment and I've read it so many different places now. Weidman didn't cause Silva's tibia to snap any more than Duke caused Kevin Ware's leg to snap in the NCAA Tournament.

So every time someone properly checks a leg kick, the kicker's tibia snaps apart and their fibula breaks as well?

That's such a stupid comment and I've read it so many different places now. Weidman didn't cause Silva's tibia to snap any more than Duke caused Kevin Ware's leg to snap in the NCAA Tournament.

This.

I watched it happened and thought it was a freak accident. After reading about Weidman causing it by checking a kick, I still think it was a freak accident. If there are techniques designed to result in career ending leg injuries, this sport needs to be banned immediately.

This.

I watched it happened and thought it was a freak accident. After reading about Weidman causing it by checking a kick, I still think it was a freak accident. If there are techniques designed to result in career ending leg injuries, this sport needs to be banned immediately.
Exactly. People are either incredibly insistent on hating Silva or incredibly upset they feel Weidman didn't get enough credit for the first win (or both) that we see stupid comments like a proper block for a leg kick causes debilitating injuries. This comes despite the fact kicks are checked all the time in MMA.

Exactly. People are either incredibly insistent on hating Silva or incredibly upset they feel Weidman didn't get enough credit for the first win (or both) that we see stupid comments like a proper block for a leg kick causes debilitating injuries. This comes despite the fact kicks are checked all the time in MMA.

I totally get what you are saying, but if he doesnt check the kick, the guys leg doesnt break. What he did directly resulted in the leg break. A degree of credit should be given.

Freak accident, sure, but thats like saying someone incorrectly building a fire in the fireplace had no influence on the freak accident of the entire neighborhood burning down

I totally get what you are saying, but if he doesnt check the kick, the guys leg doesnt break.
Not necessarily, because kicks are checked in MMA all the time. More likely there was other factors which played into the leg breaking.

Freak accident, sure, but thats like saying someone incorrectly building a fire in the fireplace had no influence on the freak accident of the entire neighborhood burning down
And if there was an unknown gas leak in the house, caused by an inept repairman, which caused an explosion at the time of high winds throughout the neighborhood, is it still the fault of the person who built the fire? Of course not.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but Weidman's technique does not result in a broken leg, only the deflection of pain to himself. If the technique is designed to snap a tibia, then you can say Weidman deserves the credit, but it's not. It's simply an instinctual reaction all humans do in a similar situation, designed to deflect the brunt of an attack.

Weidman didn't do anything to break Silva's leg and shouldn't be credited for doing so. And since the leg injury is why the fight was stopped, then Weidman gets the hash mark in the win column, but you cannot say he won the fight.

Not necessarily, because kicks are checked in MMA all the time. More likely there was other factors which played into the leg breaking.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but Weidman's technique does not result in a broken leg, only the deflection of pain to himself. If the technique is designed to snap a tibia, then you can say Weidman deserves the credit, but it's not. It's simply an instinctual reaction all humans do in a similar situation, designed to deflect the brunt of an attack.

Weidman didn't do anything to break Silva's leg and shouldn't be credited for doing so. And since the leg injury is why the fight was stopped, then Weidman gets the hash mark in the win column, but you cannot say he won the fight.

All correct. Still doesnt change the fact that if he doesnt perform that block, the break doesnt happen.

Does this fight answer any questions? Not really. Lucky break for Weidman(pun intended)? Sure thing. He still performed the move which led to the stoppage. A hollow win, but a win nonetheless.

And if my fist hadn't hit your jaw, the break wouldn't have happened either. Doesn't mean you had done anything to cause it.

Yes, but that would invove a situation were only you were doing something, not both of us, as in the situation of the weidman fight.

You swing, I do nothing. Thus, I have no involvement.

He kicks, the other guy blocks the kick, the leg which is hit by the block breaks. the guy doing the block caused the break.

Not to mention, ive seen some sources cited that say this is an actual muay thai technique to block those types of kicks, that is, yes, intended to damage the kicking person's leg. To break it? no. But it is a technique intended to cause damage.

Yes, but that would invove a situation were only you were doing something, not both of us, as in the situation of the weidman fight.

You swing, I do nothing. Thus, I have no involvement.

He kicks, the other guy blocks the kick, the leg which is hit by the block breaks. the guy doing the block caused the break.

Not to mention, ive seen some sources cited that say this is an actual muay thai technique to block those types of kicks, that is, yes, intended to damage the kicking person's leg. To break it? no. But it is a technique intended to cause damage.

That's the point I was trying to make.

“Ray Longo broke someone’s leg in the gym like that. I’ve been working on getting the knee on the shin to stop the leg kicks. It’s one of those things, you want to make them pay for it, but you don’t want to break it.” - Chris Weidman post fight press conference.

Fine, pretend you tried to move your head slightly and the altered angle caused the break. Same difference.

Not to mention, ive seen some sources cited that say this is an actual muay thai technique to block those types of kicks, that is, yes, intended to damage the kicking person's leg. To break it? no.
Hence it being a freak accident which ended the fight.

Fine, pretend you tried to move your head slightly and the altered angle caused the break. Same difference.

Hence it being a freak accident which ended the fight.

It isnt though, is it?

and its apparently not unheard of for people to get their leg broken by that kind of block in training and on the lower tier circuits.

It isnt though, is it?
It is though, isn't it? A common defensive maneuver results in a highly unusual accident through no intention of anyone.

and its apparently not unheard of for people to get their leg broken by that kind of block in training and on the lower tier circuits.
It's not unheard of for it to happen in the UFC, if I heard correctly. That still doesn't mean it's not incredibly rare and still not a freak accident. :shrug:

It is though, isn't it? A common defensive maneuver results in a highly unusual accident through no intention of anyone.

It's not unheard of for it to happen in the UFC, if I heard correctly. That still doesn't mean it's not incredibly rare and still not a freak accident. :shrug:

Except one defensive maneuver is evasion, the other is intended to cause damage by way of defense.

So now we have gotten down to the fact its not unheard of for this to happen if you hit the move just right? I think thats a pretty wide gulf between that and it being a freak accident that says by no means did the guy win the match.

He did though. His kick block, which is known to at times result in breaking the other man's leg, or at least damage it, broke the guys leg.

Except one defensive maneuver is evasion, the other is intended to cause damage by way of defense.
But checking a leg kick is not intending to cause damage, it's intended to reduce damage.

So now we have gotten down to the fact its not unheard of for this to happen if you hit the move just right?
It's not a move you "hit", it's a move you use to avoid damage. It's a move used all the time.

I think thats a pretty wide gulf between that and it being a freak accident that says by no means did the guy win the match.
How so? It's a move used all the time to defend against a leg kick, and aside from the incredibly rare moments where it has caused injury, it almost never causes injury. That's what makes it a freak accident.

He did though. His kick block, which is known to at times result in breaking the other man's leg, or at least damage it, broke the guys leg.
But it's not. Checking leg kicks have been going on forever. This one happened to result in a broken leg, an incredibly rare occurrence.

Weidman didn't do anything which hasn't been done many times before. He didn't end the fight, the injury ended the fight. It's really that simple.

As stupid as this sounds, Weidman's knee was in the right place at the right time.

Weidman won the fight because a defensive move he used caused an injury. In short, he won it by luck and being in the right place. Yes he was trying to block the kick, but he wasn't trying to do damage to Silva.

On a side note, having watched the video more times than I care to, those claiming Weidman is intentionally trying to use a certain type of block are full of it. The collision was the result of circumstance, as can clearly be shown by the fact Weidman has no idea where Silva's leg is and the kick is coming so quickly all Weidman is attempting to do is lessen the impact of the blow.

But let's say, for argument's sake, Weidman DID intentionally use a move to shatter Anderson Silva...how come he's not considered a lowlife piece of shit for attempting to end another fighter's career?

The answer is simple...everyone knows what happened was not the result of some advanced technique, it was simply an accident. A terrible accident for Silva, a fortunate accident for Weidman and an accident which caused the injury that ended the fight.

EDIT: One last thing...if Silva had connected on Weidman's leg and broken Weidman's leg, I'm willing to bet quite a few of those Weidman defenders/Silva haters would claim it was a freak accident, a rare occurrence on a move which is used all the time. I truly believe most of the "he intentionally used a move which broke his leg" crowd are simply people who do not like Silva. Finally, to be clear, I don't think NorCal is in the "Silva hater" crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back