Avenged Sevenfold's New Album

TwistofRKO

The Legend Killer himself
If you didn't know, Avenged Sevenfold's 5th album comes out late July, and they release their first single "Nightmare" of off that CD this Tuesday.

So who else here likes Avenged Sevenfold? They are one of those bands that seemingly people either absolutely hate, or absolutely love. I myself am the latter. I love the guitar-work, and all the music sounds fresh. Probably my favorite band going.

Well I only listened to their third one (the self-titled one) I am interested in what it sounds like and how the drums sound in it (seeing as The Rev was one of the best drumers of the past couple of years) and so long as the vocals are similar to Avenged Sevenfold I might check it out.

Everything else is the same, and The Rev still wrote a good number of the songs. Portnoy is a good fit for AX7's style, so I think they'll be able to compensate alright for this album.

I have to admit I'm a little indifferent about them, due to the fact that I haven't listened to a lot of their songs, but from the songs I've heard (Afterlife and Almost Easy, plus their contribution to Good Charlotte - River) I think they're pretty decent.

I watched one of their live concerts on youtube (more specifically I watched Almost Easy performed live) and I have to admit M. Shadows has an amazing voice for that style of music.

I have to admit I'm a little indifferent about them, due to the fact that I haven't listened to a lot of their songs, but from the songs I've heard (Afterlife and Almost Easy, plus their contribution to Good Charlotte - River) I think they're pretty decent.

I watched one of their live concerts on youtube (more specifically I watched Almost Easy performed live) and I have to admit M. Shadows has an amazing voice for that style of music.

Two great songs. That's probably what this new album will be like.

He does have a great voice, though. He used to scream more, but they've toned down that part of them a little. Their middle albums have a lot of mixture to them screaming/singing wise, and I enjoy both ways, so I'll be happy if it turns out like Almost Easy and Afterlife.

Their guitarist, Synyster Gates, is amazing too. The guitar solo in Bat Country is absolutely sick. Definitely should check that out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHS3qJdxefY From 2:18-3:15

Yes Synyster is definitely a great guitarist, it's an overall great band that I just haven't gotten into checking out properly, but I've enjoyed the songs I have listened to, so I'm just gonna be searching deeper for some other songs, checking them out, and perhaps purchasing their albums off Itunes.

I loved Synysters solo in Afterlife although, mixed with Shadows singing abilities it's by far a great song, I find it to be a shame that such a great band, while they have their share of success, haven't succeeded with the album sales that well.

Yes Synyster is definitely a great guitarist, it's an overall great band that I just haven't gotten into checking out properly, but I've enjoyed the songs I have listened to, so I'm just gonna be searching deeper for some other songs, checking them out, and perhaps purchasing their albums off Itunes.

I loved Synysters solo in Afterlife although, mixed with Shadows singing abilities it's by far a great song, I find it to be a shame that such a great band, while they have their share of success, haven't succeeded with the album sales that well.

They are a fun band to discover. You'll enjoy checking them out.

The album sales aren't that big of a deal to me. Its a different style than most people are accustomed to. They are catchy in their own way, and generally speaking, if you don't appreciate it then you won't like them. On the other hand, if you like deep lyrics and guitar solos, you'll love these guys.

They've also only released two CDs under a major label, so they'll continue to grow as they get more work out there.

Of course the record sales isn't a big deal when we look at it, but at some point, I still consider it to be a shame that a band with such a good sound (in my opinion) hasn't surfaced the mainstream in terms of record sales, when there's certainly bands that are worse than them, but who succeeds in selling much more.

And I don't feel necessarily that it's due to the fact that they have deep lyrics and guitar solo's because a lot of bands have that, but yet they managed to sell much more, Metallica has guitar solo's and deep lyrics, and they have over 100 million record sales under their wing, same with Bon Jovi, and while I would say that those two bands I prefer over Avenged Sevenfold, I still consider it to be a shame, considering the talent they have.

But yes in the end, it all comes down to taste, and the taste of people is something rather hard to change.

Avenged became incredibly corny somewhere along the way. Their first two albums were really good and the showed incredibl musical talent for being so young. Then the whole metal-core scene died out and they needed to find another niche. They decided to latch on to the ''generic metal that tries to be like their favorite metal bands'' genre. Shadows started trying incredibly hard to sound like Axl Rose and totally dropped the screaming in favor of a much more nasally vocal styling. They dropped almost all of the heavy breakdowns and lightened up a lot on the solos. They lost that edge they originally had and became corny and generic. To me at least.

So no I don't think I'll be buying the new album. If I hear a song from it somehow and like it I may give them another chance but as of right now I have little to no interest in the band.

Avenged became incredibly corny somewhere along the way. Their first two albums were really good and the showed incredibl musical talent for being so young. Then the whole metal-core scene died out and they needed to find another niche. They decided to latch on to the ''generic metal that tries to be like their favorite metal bands'' genre. Shadows started trying incredibly hard to sound like Axl Rose and totally dropped the screaming in favor of a much more nasally vocal styling. They dropped almost all of the heavy breakdowns and lightened up a lot on the solos. They lost that edge they originally had and became corny and generic. To me at least.

So no I don't think I'll be buying the new album. If I hear a song from it somehow and like it I may give them another chance but as of right now I have little to no interest in the band.

I see that a little bit, but they're still soloing a ton, like 2-3x in some songs. Some of the songs are definitely nothing you'd expect after hearing the first two albums (ie, Dear God, Seize the Day), but I still think they have that edge to them in most of the others. They'll never be the same band that made the first two albums, but I don't think their stuff sounds that cliche. The best two songs on Walking the Fallen (Unholy Confessions and Chapter 4) sounds a lot like what they're still making today.

I would have said their third album was the best. I'm not a big fan of constant screaming lyrics, I liked the third one because the vocals were varied and interesting

I would have said their third album was the best. I'm not a big fan of constant screaming lyrics, I liked the third one because the vocals were varied and interesting

That's pretty much where I'm at. I can enjoy screaming, just not all alone for 5 songs in a row. I liked the Rev's backing vocals as screaming with M. Shadows doing the actual singing.

I don't mind the "sell-out" songs they've made like Dear God and Seize the Day, I think they are both pretty good, but if I had a choice I'd keep them in the Almost Easy-Bat Country-Unholy Confessions mode. They write great lyrics, they have great guitar work, and they can work the screaming in well. I'd keep this formula, and I hope this is the direction Nightmare is driving.

I think Sevenfold's new album will be pretty good. I have all of their material released so far, and they're a very talented band with a unique style that transcends the typical "double-bass, repetitive riff, scream" trend of most of today's metal music. I think that "Nightmare" sounds like a pretty good song, and if the whole album sounds like that, I'll definitely pick it up. I hope to hear some heavier stuff on there as well, but this song is definitely good. Also, while it sucks that The Rev died, he still wrote a lot of the music on the album, and it's being played by his favorite drummer of all time, Mike Portnoy. I think they'll be a solid combination, and the album should kick ass.

The album is amazing, every song on it to me, was just great to listen to. A few stuck out more than others (Buried Alive, Fiction, God Hates Us, Nightmare) But they're all amazing, and It was worth buying.

It's an amazing, emotional album! Am I the only one that almost cry when you heard The Rev singing "Fiction"? I mean, you've got everything, an almost-death metal song (God Hates Us), a totally kick-ass progressive song with a little help of MP (Save Me), some good ol' A7X songs (Nightmare, Welcome to the Family, Natural Born Killer...). I think that we all miss The Rev, but damn! Mike Portonoy is truely one if no THE greatest metak drummer! Hope he continues with A7X!

I'd pretty much listen to Avenged Sevenfold over every other band besides Slipknot. I absolutely love the band. Every single song from them I love which includes their new album. Just something about the band makes me love them. Shadows voice is just stunning, and their guitarists are top notch. Of course they had Rev, but poor guy died. Their new album was just flat out amazing. They had all types of sounds on there from more scream based music in God Hates Us to soft, and melodic songs like So Far Away. Just a fantastic band, and I love listening to them.

Oh yeah, the CD was sick. Nightmare was nice, but probably not on the top half of songs. It was a very well put together album. God Hates Us was by far the best song on the album, not sure where its related to death metal, more so a hybrid of its Waking the Fallen and City of Evil days. Welcome to the Family and Fiction were strong too, sounded like Shadows was crying towards the end of Fiction. It didn't feel fake, the lyrics were solid, and Synyster was as good as ever on the guitar. Very pleased.

The album is fucking sick. Love 'Save Me' and 'Victim'(especially the first verse). This album is fucking dark, almost like 'Waking the Fallen', but more genuine; and I like it. Probably my 2nd favorite album from them.

I have been a fan of them since seeing them at Warped Tour 06 in Jersey. Listened to the latest album and I actually thought something was missing. Can't put my finger on itbut I know something's missing. The CD overall is good but musically it could have been better.

I have been a fan of them since seeing them at Warped Tour 06 in Jersey. Listened to the latest album and I actually thought something was missing. Can't put my finger on itbut I know something's missing. The CD overall is good but musically it could have been better.

Some songs didn't feel complete, and a few of them sound too similar overall. Save Me could have great, but it didn't feel right. And I hated that stupid woman howling at the beginning of Victim, and there wasn't as many great guitar solos as they grew us used to. I agree, it wasn't perfect. But again, overall it was a very good CD, probably 3rd favorite.

I was never really big on metalcore, other than Shai Hulud for a short while a few years back. Never quite liked A7X, and found their later work to be very generic. I'll lend my ear to their latest after downloading it whenever I feel like it, but until then, I'mma go back to my lo-fi, fuzzy-sounding, distorted black metal and continue being an elitist and forget all about it.

... lol ... But I'll be sure to remember cuz I prolly will forget.

I am not a fan of the early A7X stuff, with the screaming but I LOVE their self-titled album. I think "Afterlife", "Scream", "Dear God" and "Almost Easy" are just amazing tracks.

Is the new album anything like these songs, or have A7X gone back to their earlier "screamo" style?

Sorry if this has already been answered, I scanned the topic and couldnt see a definitive answer.

Cheers guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back