Batista vs. John Cena-The True Face of the WWE

Who is the True Face of the WWE?

• Batista

• John Cena

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Attitude

Getting Noticed By Management
I won't spend to long explaining as I feel it's a pretty simple question. Who was the true face of the WWE?

I know it ended up being Cena but I feel Cena was just in the right place at the right time. I personally feel Batista was the true face of the WWE or at least he was being built that way. Then Batista was injured and forfeited the World Championship and John Cena benefited from it.

I mean look at Batista's year in 2005. It was phenomenal. He won the Royal Rumble and Won the World Championship from Triple H at WM21. He beat Triple H 3 times in a row which hasn't been done by anybody before him or after him. Batista went to Smackdown and picked up victories over JBL and Eddie Guerrero. He became the Team Captian for Smackdown in their rivalry with Raw. I think Batista would have been the sole survivor if it wasn't for his injury. But the injury did happen and Batista had to take time off. John Cena then went on to become the face of the WWE.

So Do you guys agree with me that Batista was the True Face of the WWE and that John Cena's role was for him? Or was always suppose to be this way? Or do you think it's somebody else such as Randy Orton?

Did John Cena benefit from Batista's injury? Or was WWE planning on Cena being the Face of the Company?

Who do you think is the True Face of the WWE?

I agree with you 100% because Batista got better storylines with HHH Eddie Guerrero Team Raw. I even think Randy Orton was supposed to win the 2006 Royal Rumble if Batista hadnt gotten injured meaning it would've been Batista vs Orton at WM 22. Think about it Orton and Batista never really fought and Smackdown and when they did Team Raw interfered. But yea Batista wouldve been the main guy and HHH was pushing for it too, only wonder if Batista would've remained active on SD and went to Wrestlemania he wouldnt have been botchy in the ring and some of the fans wouldnt have hated him. Also the only reason Cena got the main push in the WWE was because fans were starting to ate him and fans were also buy the PPV's to see if he would lose the title.

So Does anybody agree with me or not???

I think it was always meant to be Cena. They were both built up to be huge stars, but Batista was like the Ultimate Warrior or Randy Savage to Cena's Hulk Hogan. Leading up to that Wrestlemania Cena had a CD coming out and was shaking hands and kissing babies and doing a lot more promotional work.

Batista did have a more impressive opponent in Triple H and headlined mania than Cena vs JBL. However soon after Wrestlemania during the draft they switched Cena to the flagship show and Batista to Smackdown. Where Cena feuded with Jericho, HBK, Edge and Triple H. Batista feuded with JBL and Guerrero. There's no doubt they both were descanted for great thing and be top stars I just think Cena was always the chosen one by Vince. Batista got where he is by being close to Triple H.

KKKKwe I agree with you on your post. I also think people were realizing that John Cena wasn't great and people were mostly watching to see when he was going to lose the title. The same goes for his year long title reign that started at Unforgivin 2006. You can look at any main event match John Cena was in over the course of 2005/2006 and see that John Cena was getting booed throughout the matches despite being the face during the fued and the match. Take a look at Summerslam 2005 vs. Jericho and WM22 vs. Triple H and the fans completely switched. Triple H and Chris Jericho ended up becoming the face in their matches against Cena.

Also for the people who voted for other on the Poll I would Love to hear from you guys to see who you think deserved to be the face or was going to be the face of the company. I would really like to hear what you guys think. So please post your opinions.

John Cena as th main guy of the WWE was good but it lead us into PG in my opinion and if Batista was the main guy it i dont think WWE would be in its little predicament thats it has with PG and WWE would be more entertaining.

So what do u think??

John Cena is by far the true top face of WWE and I don't see how it could be anyone else. He has always been the major draw and the one keeps the steady numbers up on television ratings and pay-per-view buy rates. No one else can touch Cena when it comes to this factor. He is also great at putting on worth while matches. John is one of very few on the roster who has a top notch number of consistently great matches. Also he is gold on the mic and definitely is among one of WWE's best on the stick.

Now Batista on the other hand was basically just a very popular face. He was never the draw Cena was but he was very popular and the fans were into him which was why he had such a great stay on the top, because he was just so popular. However some downsides to Batista was his incapability to have consistently good matches while he was on top, as he had to work with the right person, and not counting his last run as a heel, his promos were nothing special and were at often times awkward. These reasons and the fact that the man made a better heel just says that he was not a great top face. The man did great work as a heel, but I never seen much in him as a face.

The only other guy that could have been something as a top face compared to Cena was Jeff Hardy. The fans were into him like no one else. They pushed him from the mid-card up to main event status and were absolutely bananas for him. He was beginning to become a major draw for SmackDown and pay-per-views a like and his first world title win created a lot of buzz amongst his fans and other fans a like. He was going places until he abruptly left the company last summer. I don't understand why he did such a thing because he was basically in such a secure spot that from the time he left he was a legitimate draw and main event calibre star. The only wrestler who could have gave Cena a run for his money in a top face position, but it's irrelevant because Hardy went out the backdoor.

Give it a couple more years and its gonna be Orton soon enough if his push as a face or tween-er continues for that long then i can definitely see Orton becoming the face of the WWE i noticed he did an interview promoting WM26 recap thing on NBC and he was promoting it and it kept me thinking wouldn't Cena have done it i mean its more up Cena's "ally" then Orton's and we have Orton going on Lopez tonight he's starting to become a public figure of the WWE or is getting closer.

As for now i'd have to go with Cena he's doing Movies , Commercials and usually promotes the WWE and their PPV's when he gets interviewed on talk shows etc. Would it have been Batista sure , but as we all know he got injured a copule of times and that hindered his performances when he was truly shining , so i'd say if Batista hadn't gotten injured he very well could have been the true face of the WWE.

Ok first of all to WuShady Batista and Cena switching spots is the reason why Cena got better because RAW had better opponents like Muhammad Hassan Edge HBK HHH Kane Big Show When batista was on RAW he was having 5 star match whereas Cena was'nt having top notcht matches on a Smackdown show because they didnt have big stars like RAw had and that's why plus Batista never really liked to speak on MIC.

@SpoodBeest Batista wasnt just popular he was doing thing as well maybe not making Music or staring in movies but he was meeting fans and all plus HHH wanted him to be athe Big top star in the end they realized Batista age was not old and that he wouldnt last long and with Cena his age was perfect and they new he could last in WWE for atleast 15 years. To also add to ur No one could compare to Cena as a Big Draw to the fans, Jeff HArdy is not the only guy if you have been watching WWE for like the past 10 years i think there's a guy by the name Rob Van Dam who the fans loved so much but was held down by HHH when he was supposed to get a chance and then finally got it when he got a good storyline with the whole ECW angle.

So yea Rob Van Dam had Big cheers than Jeff Hardy but he wasnt the guy for WWE at the moment. What do you think??

@SpoodBeest Batista wasnt just popular he was doing thing as well maybe not making Music or staring in movies but he was meeting fans and all plus HHH wanted him to be athe Big top star in the end they realized Batista age was not old and that he wouldnt last long and with Cena his age was perfect and they new he could last in WWE for atleast 15 years. To also add to ur No one could compare to Cena as a Big Draw to the fans, Jeff HArdy is not the only guy if you have been watching WWE for like the past 10 years i think there's a guy by the name Rob Van Dam who the fans loved so much but was held down by HHH when he was supposed to get a chance and then finally got it when he got a good storyline with the whole ECW angle.

So yea Rob Van Dam had Big cheers than Jeff Hardy but he wasnt the guy for WWE at the moment. What do you think??
This right here states why Batista could not be a perfect top face, if he was too old than that is the reason they couldn't completely invest in him. Also you said compared to Cena, RVD got just as much of a pop as him. Well maybe but I don't think RVD was ever as popular as Cena has been for the last four years or so. Also RVD was not anywhere near as popular as Jeff Hardy was in his last year or so with WWE. RVD was very popular I'll give you that, and he probably should have been given a world title run in 2002, but he wasn't as popular as Cena has been or Hardy in his last year. He very well could have been that huge if Triple H didn't hold him back, but we'll never know because that's not how history played itself out.

To also add to ur No one could compare to Cena as a Big Draw to the fans, Jeff HArdy is not the only guy if you have been watching WWE for like the past 10 years i think there's a guy by the name Rob Van Dam who the fans loved so much but was held down by HHH when he was supposed to get a chance and then finally got it when he got a good storyline with the whole ECW angle.

Eh...Jeff Hardy DID compare to Cena, he was a bigger draw at more than one stage during his career. If you looked at WWEShop.com it was a VERY rare week that the top 5 selling items weren't 3 or 4 Hardy items with someone like Cena sitting in the middle somewhere. Smackdown's ratings didn't drop significantly when Cena was drafted to Raw but they did when Hardy left.

Due to his issues Hardy never got to become the "guy" but had he stayed with the WWE, stayed clean, stayed motivated and calmed down with high spots after a year or two the focus could quite possibly have shifted to him. RVD got the reactions but I don't recall him selling as much merch as Hardy, let's not forget that when RVD wanted a part time schedule he didn't get it whereas Hardy was offered a deal (I believe) where he didn't have to work ANY house shows, aswell as the unheard of merch deal. That's how much Hardy was appreciated, Vince wouldn't offer that to many people.

Now, the purpose of my post isn't just to promote my mancrush on Hardy. My point is that while Cena is undeniably one of the biggest draws of the decade he is not completely irreplaceable, 'nor was he the only contender for the face of the company. I would argue that in '09 and possibly '08 Cena was NOT the top draw on the WWE, it was Hardy.

Having said that, Hardy didn't have the speaking ability or the personality to do the interviews, promote the company and do the movies etc, like Cena does. If Hardy can put his recent troubles behind him and get clean (if he isn't already) I'd argue he could easily go back and give Cena another run for his money. Let's face it, Jeff looked just as bad as he does now in 2003 and that didn't last too long. At the end of the day though, Cena IS the face of the company and it looks like he'll stay there for quite a while. Batista, as big a draw as he was, just wasn't the household name Cena was. Unless another Jeff Hardy crops up (which doesn't seem likely) or a healthy Jeff returns, Cena's spot is not in danger.

It was Cena's spot from the get.Why you think they moved Cena to Raw after WM21 but Batista was moved to the b-team SmackDown.Thats plenty proof to me.They both won they're first WWE/World titles at WM 21 but Cena was givin the ball.

@Patriotjay idont think it was Cena's spot from the beginning reason why is Batista was more popular then cena in 2005 and the brought Cena to RAW just to get him more over with the fans because RAW was the "A" show and for Batista he was already good with the fans and they knew he wouldnt have any difficulties on Smackdown.

Really, Batista may have had a big run in the beginning but ultimately Cena got the spot. Batista's injury basically ruined his push and while Cena got the main event spot, Rey got to carry Smackdown for a while until Batista got back. At Summerslam Batista beat Cena but after that Cena always went over, although one can note that Cena never pinned Batista even though he beat him 4 times(DQ, submission, LMS, I Quit).

Cena was always there. The guy main evented a lot of WrestleManias and was always in a title match. So really, Cena is the face.

Cena by a country mile. I may not admire the guy's in-ring style (or lack of it), but it was always Cena. You could tell by how creative slowly phased out all the 'edgy' aspects of his rapper gimmick and morphed it into this clean cut, rap/soldier hybrid. Cena does the talk show circuit, the newspaper interviews, anything that it asked of him because a) he's a team player and b) he's the guy WWE want to promote.
Nothing against Batista but he was never the most charasmatic on the mic and only really became entertaining on the mic during his heel turn. Sure, you could make an arguement for Batista because he was the top guy on SD! when Cena was the top guy on RAW but that was the point. During the early days of the brand extension, RAW and SD! were billed as being more equal than they are today. You needed both brands to have a top guy and Cena and Batista fufilled those respective roles.
Overall, both were huge faces and top guys but Cena was just that little bit more reliable. He wasn't really injury prone until about '07-'08 and then after his return at SS '08, he has been a constant presence on RAW. Batista was just unlucky hitting injury after all this build and that may be the reason he isn't the face of the WWE.

of course it was supposed to be cena, hes is the face and was planned to be the face, hes the one who was in vinces ear about the PG era and how he could do so much, and look wat we get, superman cena, giving us some of the worst promos ever. and really batista wasnt too far behind, he wasnt anything special in the ring cept thats hes huge, his promo work always felt like crap, and now he wants to be an actor, haha. niether one of them is really any good, but for watever reason they get pushed the way they do, im glad batista is gone, and hope he stays away,
Cena will be the face for years to come, but WWE has started to do things with other people and put things in motion for the future.

John Cena is the top face of the WWE no question about it. He's been pushed to Pluto and back. Just look at where he has been in the last few years. Every kid in that arena loves him, he sells merchandise he's the big dog in the WWE basically.

I'm going to do one better and say Batista WAS THE FACE of the WWE in 2005. If you compare John Cena's 2005 and Batista's 2005 Batista definately had the more entertaining storylines and was more over with the fans the Cena. Both had great years that year but 2005 was Batista's year. Like I said Batista ended up getting injured and John Cena benefited. What other choice did they have. John Cena was the only other choice. Look when Batista forfeited his title Cena automatically lost his. It's funny how they did that based on what Batista did and NOT Cena. Once they realized Batista wasn't coming back as fast as they wanted they needed somebody to carry the company while Batista was out the next best choice was Cena. John Cena admitted win he was drafted to Raw it was a test because they (the WWE) didn't think he could keep his fans. And to be honest he was hanging on by a thread in my opinion. As I already pointed out the fans were starting to sour on Cena and realizing he wasn't that great in the ring. Also on Smackdown They were building that to be the A Show in 2005. They wanted Smackdown to be the flagship show in 2005 which in my opinion is why Batista was drafted to Smackdown.

I am a fan of Cena. So this is not a Cena bash by any means. I just was always a bigger Batista fan than Cena. I always preferred Batista over Cena. I do think that the torch did get handed to Cena and Cena is undeniably the face of the company right now. But there is no doubt and it's undeniable that Batista was definately on the same level as Cena, just as big of a draw, and IMO the TRUE FACE OF THE WWE. But like I said Cena benefited from Batista's injury. Cena IMO was in the right place at the right time.

And you can't say that Cena's cd had anything to do with him becoming the face of the company because Triple H was in Blade III at the same time and also had a book coming out and Triple H wasn't the face of the company.

The only reason Batista went over Cena at Summer Slam 08' was to build Batista till the rematch at Mania. WWEwould have Cena win the rematch at WM but Batista was to busy being injured for that to happen.

first of the guy above me i fuckin love yu dude tom brady and john cena are amazing and cena is the face and always will be over batista and orton evolution made them JOHN CENA MADE HIMSELF

I don't see how you can say Batista was ever built as the true face of the WWE at any point in 2005. First of all, Batista didn't even have nearly an impressive career as John Cena at that point and only was main eventing WM 21 due to Triple H. Cena had already been on commercials, t.v. shows, came out with a cd, and filmed the Marine. After WM 21, Batista had a decent fued with the Game but much can be contribute to HHH and then Batista was traded to SD and Cena to Raw. At that point, it was clear that Raw was the flagship show and seeing how Cena was the top guy on the top show; the WWE knew all along who they wanted to push as their face of the company. For the rest of the year, Batista fued with JBL and Eddie Guerrero and even after that he fueded with MNM and Mark Henry, yes MARK HENRY. Meanwhile Cena had great fueds with Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle and after that he went on to start one of the WWE's most remembrable fueds with Edge and main evented WM 22 with Triple H. So with that being, Cena was always going to be the face of the WWE regardless of Batista's injury or not.

I don't see how you can say Batista was ever built as the true face of the WWE at any point in 2005. First of all, Batista didn't even have nearly an impressive career as John Cena at that point and only was main eventing WM 21 due to Triple H. Cena had already been on commercials, t.v. shows, came out with a cd, and filmed the Marine. After WM 21, Batista had a decent fued with the Game but much can be contribute to HHH and then Batista was traded to SD and Cena to Raw. At that point, it was clear that Raw was the flagship show and seeing how Cena was the top guy on the top show; the WWE knew all along who they wanted to push as their face of the company. For the rest of the year, Batista fued with JBL and Eddie Guerrero and even after that he fueded with MNM and Mark Henry, yes MARK HENRY. Meanwhile Cena had great fueds with Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle and after that he went on to start one of the WWE's most remembrable fueds with Edge and main evented WM 22 with Triple H. So with that being, Cena was always going to be the face of the WWE regardless of Batista's injury or not.

First, Cena didn't get then movies or tv. commercials until 2006. The Marine didn't come out until late 2006. And as I mentioned Triple H was also in a movie in 2005 and wrote his book. That didn't mean Triple H was the face. Look at the Rock. How many movies was he in. Yet at NO point was he EVER the face of the company.

Second, Batista won the Royal Rumble by tossing out John Cena. And was THE MAIN EVENT for Wrestlemania NOT John Cena. And to be completely John Cena's fued's with Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho weren't that memorable.

Third, Smackdown at that time as I already said was being built as the flagship brand hence why there was a Raw vs. Smackdown fued and why Smackdown was victorious.

It's pointless arguing about it. I do think Batista was going to be the face.

For everybody that uses the John Cena had cd, movie, and commercials I'm going to give you 5 names.

Lillian Garcia
Triple H
Chris Jericho
Lita
Kane

Lillian Garcia, Lita, and Chris Jericho both had albums out. Chris had his second album out as a matter of fact. But that in no way shape or form made him the Face of the Company.

Triple H had a movie and a book out. That in no way made Triple H the face.

Kane had a movie come out in 2005 but that in no way meant he was the face of the company.

The point is being in the movies and having cd's doesn't make you the face. Batista was extremely over with the fans and had a lot going on for him in 2005. To say he was no where near being the face of the company is insane and you have to be nuts and a little bit crazy to think he wasn't. There is no doubt both John Cena and Batista both were THE top two guys in the company at that time which is why both of them won there respective World titles at WM21. But I will always see Batista as the TOP face of the company.

Batist too would of been in the movies if it wasn't for his injury. That's why I said John Cena benefited from that.

you wanna also know how batista was supposed to be the face because going into WM 21 he had a better fued and he was given a chance to be in that commercial were they were saying " Are you Talkin to ME"

First, Cena didn't get then movies or tv. commercials until 2006. The Marine didn't come out until late 2006. And as I mentioned Triple H was also in a movie in 2005 and wrote his book. That didn't mean Triple H was the face. Look at the Rock. How many movies was he in. Yet at NO point was he EVER the face of the company.

Now go back and read my post and noticed how I said he had already FILMED the Marine not meaning that it came out, and to say Triple H wasn't the face of the company from 2004-2005 is total bullshit. Who was the face of Raw (still flagship show) during that time? Triple H, he was the one always in the main event whether it was for the title or not and I want you to prove me wrong on who was the face of the WWE at the time. Also the Rock didn't start going in the movie business until the END of his wrestling career.

Second, Batista won the Royal Rumble by tossing out John Cena. And was THE MAIN EVENT for Wrestlemania NOT John Cena. And to be completely John Cena's fued's with Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho weren't that memorable.

To say that Batista was built to be the face by winning the Royal Rumble is also illogical too b/c many have done that without being thought of as the company's main man. Rey Mysterio won it the following year but was he ever considered to be in the running to be the face of the WWE? So Cena's fued were forgetful compared to Batista's? Hmm, let's see with both of those guys during that time period, Cena was the main focus on Raw and during PPVs such as Summerslam, Unforgiven, and Taboo Tuesday while putting on matches that people still remember today. While Batista wrestle JBL at a PPV where Cena was in THE MAIN EVENT, Eddie Guerrero in a very forgetful match at a bland PPV and while in THE MAIN EVENT at Survivor Series he proceeds to be the second man eliminated on his team. All during this time, Batista wasn't even the main focus on the show that would go to Randy Orton vs The Undertaker.

Third, Smackdown at that time as I already said was being built as the flagship brand hence why there was a Raw vs. Smackdown fued and why Smackdown was victorious.

Please give me proof how Smackdown was going to be the flagship show with stars such as JBL, Booker T, and Eddie Guerrero in their main event as opposed to Raw's Kurt Angle, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Edge b/c that Surivor Series win is nonsense. Smackdown won against Raw last year at Bragging Rights but is it still considered the flagship show?

Also, to prove you wrong about Cena being in commercials and t.v. shows before WM 21, well what is this then?

[youtube]1zYiGAyl5Zo[/youtube]

If that isn't enough well here's another:

[youtube]So0qAZEElfA[/youtube]

Hmm, still not convinced?

[youtube]z2bsJ5uGKZk[/youtube]

And I'm very suprised that nobody remember this:

[youtube]0nFBZqghDJE[/youtube]

By the way all of those came in 2004 except for the award show with Hulk Hogan now that was 2005 during the time that both Cena and Batista was champions yet Cena's the one presenting the award with Hogan, now show me all of Batista's commericals and t.v. appearances that don't deal with WWE PPVs before WM 21 b/c they can show any wrestlers on those.

It's pointless arguing about it. I do think Batista was going to be the face.

Not with the points you're trying to make for his cause.

Now go back and read my post and noticed how I said he had already FILMED the Marine not meaning that it came out, and to say Triple H wasn't the face of the company from 2004-2005 is total bullshit. Who was the face of Raw (still flagship show) during that time? Triple H, he was the one always in the main event whether it was for the title or not and I want you to prove me wrong on who was the face of the WWE at the time. Also the Rock didn't start going in the movie business until the END of his wrestling career.

To say that Batista was built to be the face by winning the Royal Rumble is also illogical too b/c many have done that without being thought of as the company's main man. Rey Mysterio won it the following year but was he ever considered to be in the running to be the face of the WWE? So Cena's fued were forgetful compared to Batista's? Hmm, let's see with both of those guys during that time period, Cena was the main focus on Raw and during PPVs such as Summerslam, Unforgiven, and Taboo Tuesday while putting on matches that people still remember today. While Batista wrestle JBL at a PPV where Cena was in THE MAIN EVENT, Eddie Guerrero in a very forgetful match at a bland PPV and while in THE MAIN EVENT at Survivor Series he proceeds to be the second man eliminated on his team. All during this time, Batista wasn't even the main focus on the show that would go to Randy Orton vs The Undertaker.

Please give me proof how Smackdown was going to be the flagship show with stars such as JBL, Booker T, and Eddie Guerrero in their main event as opposed to Raw's Kurt Angle, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Edge b/c that Surivor Series win is nonsense. Smackdown won against Raw last year at Bragging Rights but is it still considered the flagship show?

Also, to prove you wrong about Cena being in commercials and t.v. shows before WM 21, well what is this then?

[youtube]1zYiGAyl5Zo[/youtube]

If that isn't enough well here's another:

[youtube]So0qAZEElfA[/youtube]

Hmm, still not convinced?

[youtube]z2bsJ5uGKZk[/youtube]

And I'm very suprised that nobody remember this:

[youtube]0nFBZqghDJE[/youtube]

By the way all of those came in 2004 except for the award show with Hulk Hogan now that was 2005 during the time that both Cena and Batista was champions yet Cena's the one presenting the award with Hogan, now show me all of Batista's commericals and t.v. appearances that don't deal with WWE PPVs before WM 21 b/c they can show any wrestlers on those.

Not with the points you're trying to make for his cause.

Your points are meaningless and you have yet to prove me wrong. I admit to the videos. They were in 2003. But in no way was John Cena the face or on his way to becoming the face in 2003. He was just a mid carder and not to long before this was getting ready to be fired because he couldn't get over with the fans. Obiviously he did. He was put in commercials but not because he was the face of the company.

The Royal Rumble was a very logical point as to win the Royal Rumble that means you're main eventing Wrestlemania. Anybody and everybody that has ever won the Rumble has been a "Main Guy" or "Main Event" superstar. Let's look at the list. Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Triple H, Batista, John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton, The Undertaker, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels. Do I really need to go on? Or have I made my point? By the way Stone Cold after winning the 1998 Royal Rumble went to WM14 and beat Shawn Michaels to become the WWE champion and FACE of the company. Same for Brock Lesnar. You might as well say the same for Shawn Michaels.

The Rock in no way was the face of the company. Sure he was a close second but not Number 1. Stone Cold was the face. The Rock spent most of 2001-2003 making movies. So this argument was good but you didn't prove anything. You helped me more than yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back