Best Money In The Bank Match At WrestleMania?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Years before the WWE dubbed the pay per view Money in the Bank. At Wrestlemania 21 in Hollywood we saw the birth of the Money in the Bank ladder match. In which retired WWE superstar Edge won marking his push to the WWE world title. But in the matches history, what was the best Money in the Bank match at a Wrestlemania? Let's go over the list of winners to help jog our memories...

WM 21: Edge in Hollywood

WM 22: Rob Van Dam in Chicago

WM 23: Mr. Kennedy/Anderson in Detroit

WM 24: CM Punk in Orlando

WM 25: CM Punk (Again) in Houston

WM 26: Jack Swagger in Glendale, Arizona

So in your true opinion, what was the best Money in the Bank match at a Wrestlemania?

The first one where Edge won was in my opinion the best, simply because it was the first time a match with these stipulations was happening. The excitement, the element of surprise, the match quality, everything put in added to the drama. Plus it legitimized Edge as a main event-er eventually :p (though this is just a personal bias)

21 is the best ... in a way it was obvious Edge was winning it but Chris Jericho, Benoit, and Benjamin were all legit spoilers. Everyone looked good here (probably because there were only 6 in the match)

Honorable Mention: 23 - Long but tons of action and a lot of sick spots. It was also cool because Orton and Edge brought credibility in the first "super sized" MITB.

This is a two part answer.

My favorite win is tied between Edge and RVD both deserved the opportunity but both won MITB matches that people think are better than what they truly are.

The best match with the collection of guys involved is Mania 24, shame Jeff didn't get his chance to win it but he fucked up. 23 was good but seemed to much of a cluster fuck with 8 guys, 7 is probably the best number but that's personal opinion.

21 was a really good mitb, but one thing I always loved about this stipulation is the unpredictability of it. Some years it was obvious what guys had a chance and what guy's clearly did not. Even with some "move-sets" you could get quess what type of finisher you might see off a ladder of in the match, etc. Also one of my favorite parts is the plethera of young talent seen in the match. That's why my favorite mitb match was Wrestlemania 26 - Jack Swagger! I can't take anything away from the mitb match at mania 21. And 23 and 24 both saw great spots like jeff hardy jumping on edge and Morrison backflipping w/ladder in hand and both saw great young talent compete in the match like CM Punk/Jeff Hardy and Morrison respectivley. But the predictability of who was gonna win like Edge, Kennedy, and CM Punk(the first time after the whole Jeff Hardy situation) was somewhat lackluster. Also who didnt think RVD was gonna win? who else? Ric Flair? Finlay? lol And mania 25 featured only two new talent to enter the match ie: Mark Henrey and Kofi Kingston. and featured thee WORST line-up in a mitb match in my opinion.

Now think of Mania 26. THE FIRST and ONLY 10-Man MitB match. and Not only featured great 1st timers too the match like Ziggler, McIntyre, Swagger, and Bourne, but also saw great unpredictable spots like a mid-ladder "Air Bourne" and "Killswitch" on the middle ladder. Then add on top of that a 1st timer and unpredictable winner like Jack Swagger who, while his reign was short and not well done, dererved it.

I think I really liked RVD & Edge when they won it. Kennedy's match was great too with the WM return of Jeff Hardy, Matt was in it and all that fun stuff but the 21 & 22 matches were great.

Easily the first MITB. Not because it was the first, but because the wrestling was of the best quality. While many of the other matches were little more than spotfests, the first match was actually well laid out, well planned, and very well done. It was a very good match. Not a good gimmick match, but a very good match.

21 was the best. Benoit really gave it his all in that match and kinda just stole the show along with HBK/Angle. That diving headbutt was sick and the way Edge won was just a great heel move. The beginning was good too when they all went right after Kane during his entrance. The match was just so great and brutal it was exactly what we needed after a great match between Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio.

I would say The MITB at Wrestlemania 24.

I will admit it was a spot fest, but an exhilarating one at that. Money in the bank ladder matches are just meant to be high spot heavy, that is entertaining. Shelton Benjamin's fall was amazing to see live as in my case. It may have not made the most sense but Wrestlemania 24 Ladder match beats the Wrestlemania 21 Ladder match, and Certainly is superior to The Wrestlemania 26 clusterfuck. Wrestlemania 23 would come in close second.

1. Wrestlemania 21 MITB

My favorite of the bunch. Not a spotfest like most of the other money in the bank matches were. Everyone played their characters well. Benoit sold like a champ. The pace was great and the spots that they did to were amazing. I will never forget when Shelton Benjamin ran up that ladder to save the match. The diving headbut that busted open Benoit was a great spot as well. Plus, Edge was a good first winner of the match.

It comes down to 3 matches for 3 different reasons. Wrestlemania 21's MITB match was the first one that set the standard for the rest, much like Edge did with the cash-in's. Everyone who participated in that match gave it everything they had. Wrestlemania 23's MITB had some of the best spots and a great selection of competitors. I recall thinking that any single one of the guys in that match other than Finlay could have won it. Then there was Wrestlemania 26's MITB match that was the biggest one with as many as 10 guys competing in it. I'll go with the Wrestlemania 23 one because it had the most impressive list of competitors and that helped the match itself a lot in my opinion. The others were all full of nobody's who were only there for a spot or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back