Who Is The Best Wrestler Of 2012?

• CM Punk

• John Cena

• Daniel Bryan

• Sheamus

• Bobby Roode

• Austin Aries

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, we're doing the gimmick where no one can explain why Punk was better than Cena this year?

Fair enough; hey, it got CM Punk to the semi finals of the WZ tournament. Why shouldn't it work here?

Daniel Bryan became a bigger star than he ever was before due to a burial accidentally getting him more over, put on great matches throughout the rest of the year, world title matches, constantly an intriguing character on television and is currently involved in one of the best comedy angles in years. This man is the not the same guy who close TLC as world champion last year this is "super star" Daniel Bryan, what a year for the guy he gets my vote easily.

I'm trying to think of a reason why Cena doesn't win this year but I can't. Punk is very hit and miss and Bryan isn't on Cena's level consistently yet. Even though I don't watch much TNA I doubt Roode is on Cena's level either. Sheamus would be my #2 pick.

I think it's worth pointing out that for every great CM Punk match, there was a pretty damn good Sheamus match as well. Under-rated because people say he's bland or boring, but I don't know what the hell they're talking about. He's as kid-friendly as Cena, but 10x more interesting in the ring. Maybe he's not as edgy or controversial as Punk, nor given the same main event exposure, but he also never went on a campaign bitching about it either.

Sheamus and Bryan wrestled perfection. I enjoyed that match more than either of Bryan's singles encounters with CM Punk. He had a series of really good matches with Alberto del Rio over the course of the summer. Him and Big Show stole the show at Hell in a Cell. He also wrestled CM Punk like 2 or 3 times this year, and all those matches were pretty darn good.

I dont' know who I'm going to vote for yet. I might just wait and see if Sheamus draws another classic out of the Big Show at TLC. I'm leaning towards Punk though, so that could be the deciding factor.

I can't decide between Cena and Bryan. Cena had the better year for all intents and purposes, but Bryan is just so hot right now and I've found him more enjoyable since Night of Champions, which makes him fresher in my mind.

Ahhhh gotta go Cena.

This has been D-Brys year. Bryan has entertained me every time he's on TV and that in my opinion makes him the best Wrestler of the year in all aspects (Ring, Mic, Position in Company). Punk has been pretty stale this year and Cena hasn't been quite as active, so D-Bry it is!

So.... Still no reasoning why Punk's better than Cena.

gotcha.

I can at least understand Bryan. Bryan actually made Smackdown relevant... Think about how hard that is. He also caught fire and got over on his own, and is consistently one of the better parts of the show. He doesn't main event too much, and doesn't draw the big money, but he's had a magnificent year.

Welp, looks like the WZ tournament all over again

Voted Cena. Intended on voting for Bryan just because he's been gold this year with everything he's done, but when I thought about it, there's nothing that says Cena isn't the best. Headlined the biggest Wrestlemania of all time. Been in great matches with a variety of opponents. And did it all without for one second being the champion, proving how good he is.

Punk's been champion all of 2012 and is a distant 4th.

I have no idea why people are voting for Daniel Bryan. I like him as much as the next guy, but he hasn't had nearly the year Cena or Punk have. Not even in the same league.

I think Austin Aries has jumped more than anyone this year, becoming one of my favorites. Not just in TNA, but overall. Tough choice between him and Punk, especially with Punk's heel turn being taken into consideration. Best heel turn WWE has produced in years.

Bryan rose so much, wrestled so well, cut such good romos and grew a bloody marvellous beard. He gave Sheamus his best match, provided CM Punk with a great oppoenent and worked wonders with kane. He worked well with AJ and even better with a masked Kane. The entire Hell NO! angle has made tag wrestling relevant again in WWE. That's not only impressive, but pretty much unheard of for a long, long time.

CM Punk is peaking at the right time for these awards. If we did these in June, we'd have to take breaks so Bobby Roode could wipe the slobber from his balls.

Who is, by the way, what should be the obvious choice. Impact's been his show for most of the year. He held the TNA championship for most of the year, lost it, had the payoff match with James Storm (admittedly a let down, but blame the writing on that), and he's right back into the middle of the championship mix.

CM Punk spent more than half of this year as John Cena lead-in. He had the best year of his career, no question, and if we were to vote for Best Wrestler Right Fucking Now, he'd win easily.

John Cena had big matches this year, but I wouldn't call it a strong year for him. He's been booked all over the place. He deserves to be in the conversation, but not the winner.

John Cena:Main Evented 6 PPVs in a row without the world/wwe title.That's a new record may be.Had some great matches.Some matches were okay.And some were incredibly awful.Nevertheless he was all over the place.
CM Punk:To some it was one of the greatest title runs.To some it was 50-50.And some thought like Mick Foley,it was just a statistic.But he delivered great matches on every PPV except HIAC.His ring work was good.His promo's were only matched by Cena on the roster.He may not have been the face of the company but he did a damn good job as #2.
Daniel Bryan:Last years Mr. Money In The Bank jobber cashed in and became WHC.His heel turn was one of the best in years.WWE tried to bury him with a record 18 sec loss for the title.But fortunately it backfired.The YES! got over as the next WHAT!If it were anyone else,they'd go down to the lower midcard(Hello Jack!).But Daniel was brought back to the picture the very following PPV and fought for two world titles on four PPVs in a row.Then again,the creative tried to bury him with an angle which would've been the worst one of the year.But he along with Kane turned it into gold and formed the tag team which made the Tag titles something in years.
These three whom i feel deserve to be the wrestler of the year.But as i can vote one,my vote goes to Daniel Bryan.No matter how the WWE tried to bury him,he got over.With the YES/NO,Anger Management or Team Hell No! he proved that,if you've got talent,you'll get over no matter what.

Daniel Bryan the man went from a nobody to the mainstream audience to a man who can turn anything he does into gold for all intents this thing with kane should have been a disaster however some great acting on the part of both men turned the angle into pure gold

Cena started at the top and stayed there through little effort of his own. His matches with big show and big Johnny were unbearable.

D-bry rocket launched himself once he started the YES chant and has been consistantly putting on reat matches, promos and acting. He gets mine.

Making my list was the kiss of death for nearly everyone on it last year. Christian was back for about a week and is probably in a shallow grave by now. Randy Orton, the winner, got injured, suspended and then occasionally wheeled out to beat up Brad Maddox. Cody Rhodes, Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, Mark Henry, Zack Ryder-- Oh Jesus, Zack Ryder! Could they have sabotaged Zack Ryder any harder? Somehow, some way, CM Punk and John Cena avoided the curse.

This year it's time for the coveted Sammy Award to ruin a whole new set of wrestlers' careers. WWE careers and TNA careers. I might as well begin with the poor chaps who were on my list but didn't make it to this one:

James Storm

We'll remember James Storm's 2012 as the year he finished up - or didn't finish up - his feud with Bobby Roode. Both the Lockdown match, despite the deaf mutes in the crowd, and the Bound For Glory match between the two were incredible. Even the three-way (ooh-er missus!) with AJ Styles was pretty good, wasn't it? Other than that, he's been reliably great. Impact was littered with good but ultimately forgettable matches this year and, partially thanks to the Bound For Glory series, James Storm was responsible for approximately 90% of them. Give or take.

Bully Ray

Alright, yeah, he has plateaued. And yeah, this whole face turn is getting kind of weird. Am I supposed to be pleased or disgusted that he's treating Brooke Hogan to the ol' flesh flute? Ah well! Point is, he plateaued at a pretty bloody high place and is now, just maybe starting to come down. Great matches with Storm, Aries and even Joseph Park. Possibly the best promo man going right now. Tell me you didn't want him to see him cave in Jeff Hardy's skull after his promo at No Surrender and allow me to call you a fucking liar.

Christopher Daniels (& Frankie Kazarian)

I once said that Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian should form a tag team called Kookie Kutter Kruiserweights. Incredibly clever, yes, but wrong. The World Tag Team Champions of the World were easily the team with the most personality in wrestling (maybe even more so than Hell No) in 2012, and had incredible matches to boot. If pushed, I'd have to say Daniels was the slightly better of the two - and saying that could end my lifelong friendship with Katherine "Yuri" Gelgarin. That Last Man Standing match was fucking fun though.

Now onto the ones who are on the list. I'll take my hipster glasses off.

Austin Aries

Probably my favourite TNA Champion of the year, beating Robert Roode by a narrow margin and Jeff Hardy by a wide margin. His matches with Bully Ray, Bobby Roode, The Armbreaker and even, begrudgingly, Jeff Hardy were great. I don't think he's as good a talker as some others do, but he's good nonetheless. I'll be damned if hitting the brainbuster on much larger men isn't the most impressive feat of strength in professional wrestling. Eat your heart out, John Cena. Without exception, whatever he was doing, Aries was (and is) a lot of fun to watch this year.

Sheamus

I had a lot of GRRRs and AARRGHs to get straight with Sheamus after he beat Daniel Bryan in eighteen seconds. And you know what? I've largely forgiven him. Largely. He's not been brilliant without exception, but he has been brilliant on occasion. His Extreme Rules with Daniel Bryan is possibly the match of the year, and his match with Big Show should have been shit but wasn't. And he made a Father Ted reference. Kudos, Sheamus. Kudos.

John Cena

Let's get something straight - Cena's feud with Kane was shit. It was shit. Cena's great, but, shockingly, has the capacity to do shit stuff. The Kane feud was something even he couldn't elevate. Everything else was on the scale from reasonable to great though. Of course, he was in what were clearly the two biggest matches of the year (and two pretty damn good matches). And every time he and CM Punk were within ten feet of another? Sacre bleu! C'est magnifuque!

Robert Roode

Or Bobby Roode, depending on your preference. Can I directly contradict what I said a couple of paragraphs back? When it comes to great matches, consistently great matches, Roode is seriously up there. Styles, Sting, Aries, Storm and, sigh, Jeff Hardy. Get this, he was also one of the best characters in wrestling. Crazy. Roode freaking out and just generally losing his shit after he lost the belt was delicious to watch. It just had to be fattening.

CM Punk
You know how much I like CM Punk, right? I want to rub his belly and scratch behind his ears - that's how much. Good year. Great year. Great list. Jericho, Bryan, Cena. Doesn't sound like much but he had a decent number of matches with each. And he held the title for really long which really matters. No, really, it does. Honest. But seriously, I've been happy with everything Punk's done this year. Some of it has been underwhelming, some of it's been better than the other fickle bitches will tell you, but I think it's all been up to a pretty good standard. Here's to another year (hahahaha, yeah, right).

Daniel Bryan
Wrestler of the Year​
That's right, Daniel Bryan gets the Sammy, against all odds. Such humble beginnings, such lofty heights. Expect him to soon be suspended after it's discovered he has more steroids than blood running through his veins, arrested after he loses his mind and kills whichever Bella he's dating (and their dogs), and somehow ends up in a North Korean prison. Such is the deftness of my touch.

Daniel Bryan used to be "just" great in the ring. People disliked him for it. No, people really disliked him. Now he's the second coming of Jesus who does everything brilliantly, which is a nice turnaround. His popularity exploded when he lost the title, he had one of the best matches of the year, then a couple of others, then he was in some of the best segments of the year, then one half of the best tag teams. One of the best characters in wrestling, one of the best wrestlers in wrestling; just a full fledged super messiah.

Well done, Daniel Bryan. Here's hoping you don't get raped too brutally in prison, and that this Sammy will be some compensation for you and your devastated anus.

I think it's worth pointing out that for every great CM Punk match, there was a pretty damn good Sheamus match as well. Under-rated because people say he's bland or boring, but I don't know what the hell they're talking about. He's as kid-friendly as Cena, but 10x more interesting in the ring. Maybe he's not as edgy or controversial as Punk, nor given the same main event exposure, but he also never went on a campaign bitching about it either.

Sheamus and Bryan wrestled perfection. I enjoyed that match more than either of Bryan's singles encounters with CM Punk. He had a series of really good matches with Alberto del Rio over the course of the summer. Him and Big Show stole the show at Hell in a Cell. He also wrestled CM Punk like 2 or 3 times this year, and all those matches were pretty darn good.

I dont' know who I'm going to vote for yet. I might just wait and see if Sheamus draws another classic out of the Big Show at TLC. I'm leaning towards Punk though, so that could be the deciding factor.

The ADR feud was soooooooooooo awful though. Sure, most of the matches were fine, but the actual storyline was so bad that it sucked the life out of him. Give him something interesting instead of that feud, and I would definitely consider him.

I can't decide between Cena and Bryan either. Cena started the year hot, but has had a rough go lately with the Vickie/Dolph/AJ stuff. Bryan started the year as WHC, but has really thrived since he lost the belt including helping to make tag team wrestling relevant in WWE once again. I think I'm going to go with Bryan.

Are we voting for the best in ring wrestler, or the biggest superstar?

Ill go with the one that has the best combination of both, Punk all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back