Better World Heavyweight Champion: CM Punk Or Chris Jericho?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
CM Punk and Chris Jericho have been two of WWE's top heels over the past couple of years, and both men have had their run as World Heavyweight Champion. What I want to know is, who's been the better World Heavyweight Champion? First, let's review Punk and Jericho's time with the WHC. I'll start with CM Punk.

CM Punk won the MITB briefcase at Wrestlemania 24, while he was still apart of the ECW brand. Shortly after this, he was drafted to the Raw brand. On an episode of Raw, Punk cashed in his briefcase, and defeated Edge for the title. This all took place after Edge was savagely beaten by Batista. Punk would go on to feud with JBL and Batista, and he was able to retain the title, until Unforgiven 2008 came around. During a backstage segment, Punk was attacked by Manu, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase, and Randy Orton. After an Orton punt, Punk was unable to compete, and he was taken out of the WHC scramble match.

Fast forward to Wrestlemania 25, Punk wins his second MITB briefcase. At Extreme Rules, Punk would cash in his briefcase on Jeff Hardy. This happened after Hardy had just competed in a grueling ladder match with Edge. Punk had to hit the GTS twice, but he managed to defeat Hardy for his second WHC. Now after this victory, Punk began his rise as WWE's top heel. He retained the title at The Bash after an "eye injury" caused him to kick the ref. But at Night Of Champions, Jeff Hardy was able to regain the WHC. The promos between these two started to become very intense, and at Summerslam, the two would face off in a TLC match. Punk would defeat Hardy to become a three time WHC, but he didn't have too much time to celebrate. As soon as the match ended, The Undertaker returned, and he made it clear that the new WHC was his target. Punk was able to retain his title in a loser leaves WWE steel cage match against Jeff Hardy, and now he could focus on The Deadman.

At Breaking Point, Punk was able to hold on to his title after a screwjob finish that involved Teddy Long and Scott Armstrong. Although, Punk lost his title to Taker in Hell A Cell match shortly after this.

Punk's first reign as WHC was mediocre. His matches with JBL and Batista were okay, but there was nothing special about his first reign. Things definitely picked during his second reign. His feud with Jeff Hardy was superb, and the matches were pretty good. This feud put the squeaky clean Straightedge superstar against the drug user/screw up Jeff Hardy. It couldn't have been scripted any better. Also, this was right around the time where Hardy's popularity was peaking uncontrollably.

Then there was the feud with Taker. I really was never able to get into this feud, and both matches they had while Punk was champion weren't too good.

Notable Feuds: Batista, JBL, Jeff Hardy, The Undertaker

Next up is Chris Jericho.

Way back in 2001, Jericho would defeat The Rock at No Mercy to win the title. Now of course it was still being called the WCW/world championship back then. If any of you have ever watched WWE programing, you'll know how Jericho always loves to boast about beating Stone Cold and The Rock at Vengeance 2001 to become the first Undisputed champion. But as far as the WHC goes, he defeated The Rock to win the title that night.

After losing a brutal no holds barred match to Shawn Michaels, Jericho was put into the scramble match at Unforgiven 2008 as Punk's replacement. Jericho would win world title, and he would retain it in a steel cage match against Punk shortly after. When Punk was out of the way, Jericho continued his feud with HBK. At No Mercy 2008, Jericho would hold on to his title in a ladder match against HBK after he received some help from his apprentice, Lance Cade.

Jericho then started to feud with Batista. He would lose the title to Batista at Cyber Sunday 2008, after special guest referees Stone Cold Steve Austin(Austin was the actual ref in the match) Randy Orton, and Shawn Michaels got involved. But Batista's time at the top wouldn't last long. Jericho won the title shortly after this match on Raw in a steel cage match. Jericho would eventually lose the title again to a returning John Cena at Survivor Series 2008.

At Elimination Chamber 2010, Jericho would pin The Undertaker(who had just been superkikced by HBK) to win the WHC. At Wrestlemania 26, the Royal Rumble winner, Edge, would challenge Jericho for the title. The two faced off in what was an amazing match, but Jericho was able to triumph over the Rated-R Superstar. Shortly after Wrerstlemaina, Jericho would lose his title after Jack Swagger cashed in his MITB briefcase.

Notable Feuds: Shawn Michaels, Batista, CM Punk, Edge

Jericho's time as World Heavyweight Champion had it's ups and downs. The feud with Batista was so quick, but the steel cage match on Raw was pretty decent. I loved Jericho's feud with Shawn, because this took place back when the whole "righteous man" routine was still fresh. It kind of sucks that the feud with Edge couldn't have gone on longer because the match they had at Wrestlemania 26 was very good, but when both men were drafted to Raw, and Edge turned heel once again, any hope of them starting this feud up again went out the window.

I believe CM Punk was the better World Heavyweight Champion. His feud with Hardy was spectacular, and the matches from Night Of Champions, Summerslam, and Smackdown(the steel cage match) were all very good. Jericho never really had that one special feud. As I said earlier, the feud with Edge could've been that one feud, but it was never able to take off. Now both men did have their share of lackluster matches and feuds. Punk's feud with Batista was not worth getting into, and Jericho's feud with Batista also wasn't too good.

Who's your pick for the better World Heavyweight Champion? CM Punk or Chris Jericho?

This is a no brainer..Jericho by a country mile.The guy makes everyone in the ring with him better look what he did for Cena when he first went to Raw he pretty much made Cena the guy after that feud was over.I think CM Punk has a long way to go to even be mentioned in the same breath.Jericho is a better Champion.Jericho's title reins were entertaining and you never really knew when or if he'd even drop the title WM26 for example noone knew what would happen.CM Punk on the other hand was just a transitional champ when he beat Hardy just waiting for Taker to get his belt back.

This is a no brainer..Jericho by a country mile.The guy makes everyone in the ring with him better look what he did for Cena when he first went to Raw he pretty much made Cena the guy after that feud was over.I think CM Punk has a long way to go to even be mentioned in the same breath.Jericho is a better Champion.Jericho's title reins were entertaining and you never really knew when or if he'd even drop the title WM26 for example noone knew what would happen.CM Punk on the other hand was just a transitional champ when he beat Hardy just waiting for Taker to get his belt back.

I think John Cena was "the guy" long before he feuded with Jericho a couple of years ago. And I'm not just talking about being top dog on Raw, I'm talking about the entire WWE.

I believe Jericho never really had that one special feud as champion. Punk did. His feud with Hardy was one of the best feuds in WWE in a while. Also, Jericho was also in the middle of a couple of quick title swaps when he feuded with Batista.

This is quite a tough choice for me really. Seeing as I like seeing both of them as champions. I'm a big Jericho fan and I am always excited to see him as champion, especially as World Heavyweight Champion, I marked out like a little kid when Jericho retained at Wrestlemania 26, and I was actually sad to see Jericho loose the title on smackdown the week after.

On the other hand, I enjoy CM Punk as well, he cuts great promos as champion, and he really showed that he could run with it given the chance when he was champion in 2009. He has potential to be much more, where as Jericho is pretty destined to be a transactional champion at best. Which saddens me a little bit.

I guess if I was to choose from a personal preference, I would say Jericho. However I would say the right choice to make is CM Punk, just because he has potential to be more than a transactional champion.

I was talking about when Cena first got drafted to Raw how I thought Jericho really helped him make the transition from SmackDowns top guy to Raws top guy.But I do agree about never having that one feud that really sticks out for the title like Punk vs Hardy.Jerichos most memorible feud was with Michaels but there was no title on the line.good points,great thread

The first thing that comes to mind is how disappionting the WHC reigns of these two men have been. These are two of the best professional wrestlers around today but their title reigns have generally ended as soon as they've begun. However, out of the two, I have to agree with you Mitch, in that CM Punk is the better World Heavyweight Champion. This is mostly based around his second title reign and the excellent feud with Jeff Hardy which coincided with Punk's heel turn.

Out of the numerous WHC reigns between Punk and Jericho, this was easily the best one. The matches were consistently good and, more importantly, Smackdown became must watch TV whilst these two were feuding. This all came about after Punk cashed in his MITB contract on Hardy, so Punk's second WHC reign can be directly linked to the excellent entertainment that the feud provided.

To be fair, Jericho had some decent moments as WHC, like his ladder match with HBK and his Wrestlemania match with Edge, but nothing that really comes close to being as captivating as the Punk-Hardy feud. So, CM Punk is the better champion, even though I think as a whole, he has been sold short as World Heavyweight Champion so far in his WWE career.

Jericho by far wins this one... Not that CM Punk is horrid by any means...

But, I believe Punk's best days are still ahead of him... I think his couple runs as Champion were good but could have been better and Jericho really is top 5 best in the business in the ring!! He is in his prime!

CM Punk, he is just AMAZING! It sucks though WWE loves to take the belt quickly off the people who are that damn good.

Jericho has been around wayy longer than cm punk so you can't compare them , now you can compare Jericho and hardy , but I would still have to say Jericho .

There is a fault in your logic somewhere. It seems Punk is being lauded as the better champ because of the superb feud with Hardy. This then means that Jeff Hardy is a better champ than Jericho and Punk because he had superb feuds with Punk and Matt.

Truth is Jericho has had more longevity with WWE and therefore gets my vote. He beat Stone Cold and The Rock on the same night damnit :) Punk is almost there though, he needs a decent high profile run like he got in ECW.

Jericho has been around wayy longer than cm punk so you can't compare them , now you can compare Jericho and hardy , but I would still have to say Jericho .

How can you compare Jericho and Hardy? Jeff didn't start winning world titles until 2008, and he didn't become a consistent main eventer until 2009.

Oh, and CM Punk has been around for a good while, so I don't know what you're trying to say there. Jericho has been around longer than Punk, but Punk's days as a pro wrestler didn't start in WWE's version of ECW. Are you trying to say Jericho rose to the top faster than Punk? Because if you are, then I can understand that.

There is a fault in your logic somewhere. It seems Punk is being lauded as the better champ because of the superb feud with Hardy. This then means that Jeff Hardy is a better champ than Jericho and Punk because he had superb feuds with Punk and Matt.

Truth is Jericho has had more longevity with WWE and therefore gets my vote. He beat Stone Cold and The Rock on the same night damnit :) Punk is almost there though, he needs a decent high profile run like he got in ECW.

The point I'm making with Hardy VS Punk is that is a superb feud. This feud did wonders for Punk as he came to be WWE's #1 heel. Again, the feud with Hardy is something Jericho never really had during his times as World Heavyweight Champion.

Also, I didn't think the feud with Matt is superb. And as far as the whole Jeff is a better champion than Punk and Jericho because he was in a superb feud statement goes, I really don't get where you're trying to go with that, because in the end, who came out on top in the Hardy VS Punk feud?

I'd have to go with CM Punk because his feud with Jeff Hardy kept me interested in WWE when my interest was dwindling. Jericho also kept me interested cos of his HBK feud which a title wasn't involved, which has already been said. CM Punks promos were amongst my favourite ever and he is now my favourite heel with or without the title.

Chris Jericho because he has more longetivy (won his first World Championship in 2001, Punk werent even in WWE), he is a better in ring peformer (can put on a good match with anybody), he is a better heel in my opinion and I'm not bashing Punk here, he's a great World Champion and a great heel but in my opinion Jericho is simply a better World Champion and better at nearly everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back