Turning the Page: CM Punk

LSN80

King Of The Ring
In the 7th installment of the "Turn" threads, we look at the leader of the new Nexus, CM Punk. The purpose of this thread, like the rest, is to discuss how you would successfully turn him face from his current heel persona.

CM Punk began his WWE career on the ECW brand, as a face with a straight edge gimmick. He was given a long undefeated streak from his debut in the beginning of August 2006 all the way until the debacle that was the Extreme Elimination Chamber in December of the same year. He made his first Wrestlemania appearance the following year in the Money in the Bank ladder match, which was won by Mr. Kennedy. Shortly after, he was involved in a tournament to crown a new ECW champion after it was vacated following Bobby Lashley's drafting to Raw. He advanced to the finals, but lost to the last second replacement for Chris Benoit, the newly named John Morrison. He subsequently challenged for the ECW Championship at the Great American Bash and Summerslam respectively, and was unsuccessful in both attempts to defeat Morrison. He won a fatal four way to once again become No.1 Contender, but then general manager Armando Estrada declared that it was Punk's "last chance" at Morrison for the title on the September 4th edition of ECW.
[YOUTUBE]v=i5KGQLw1M8c[/YOUTUBE]

Punk then went on to have successful title defenses against the likes of Elijah Burke at Unforgiven, Big Daddy V via disqualification at No Mercy, and The Miz (at Cyber Sunday). On the November 6, 2007 edition of ECW, Punk retained the ECW Championship in a match against Morrison following The Miz's interference. At Survivor Series, Punk retained his title in a Triple Threat match, beating The Miz and John Morrison. Punk finally lost the title on the January 22, 2008 edition of ECW, where Chavo Guerrero defeated CM Punk in a No Disqualification match to win the ECW Championship after Edge, (acting as a guest commentator at ringside) ran in and speared Punk.

At Wrestlemania 24, competing in his second MITB ladder match, Punk won the match and the contract for a World Title shot at any time within the next year. On the June 23, 2008 edition of Raw, CM Punk was drafted to the Raw brand during the 2008 WWE Draft. The following Sunday was the Night of Champions PPV, which saw both World Titles go to Smackdown as a result of the draft. The following night, June 30th, marked Punk's first official night on Raw, and he made an immediate impact. Edge appeared on Raw to interrupt Jim Ross' farewell speech to Raw, but was beaten down by Batista in the process. Punk opportunistically took advantage and cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase to bring the World Title back to Raw for the first time since 2005.
[YOUTUBE]v=qlGVKzV8y28 [/YOUTUBE]

Punk had a lackluster first title reign, successfully defending the title against Batista by disqualification, and JBL cleanly. His title reign came to an end at Unforgiven 2008 at the hand's of Randy Orton's Legacy, where he was beaten down in the back during an interview by Cody Rhodes and Manu, and finally punted in the head by an injured Randy Orton. He was unable to compete in the championship scramble match, being replaced by Chris Jericho, who won the match.

On the October 27, 2008 episode of Raw, Punk and Kofi Kingston defeated Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase to win the World Tag Team Championships.Punk was then entered in a Intercontinental Championship Tournament, in which the winner would get to challenge for the championship in the future. He would defeat Snitsky and John Morrison in the first two rounds. In the meantime, Punk and Kingston were defeated The Miz and John Morrison at a live Raw event, which rarely occurs. Punk would win the tournament by defeating Rey Mysterio at Armageddon, and won the IC Championship 4 weeks later from William Regal on Raw. He would hold the title until 3 weeks before Wrestlemania 25, which is when he lost the title to JBL. At Wrestlemania 25, he competed in his third straight MITB ladder match, winning his second straight. 2 months later at Extreme Rules, Punk would cash in his briefcase on new World Champion Jeff Hardy, who had just defeated Edge in a ladder match. This began Punk's heel turn.
[YOUTUBE]v=50-WPygLLVQ[/YOUTUBE]

Punk retained his title in a Triple Threat match against both Edge and Hardy eight days later on the June 15 episode of Raw. At The Bash PPV, Punk lost to Hardy by disqualification after kicking the referee after being afflicted with a storyline eye injury, claiming he could not see the referee. Hardy called Punk into question about his eye injury, believing he had been feigning it, leading Punk to turn heel, claiming to be the moral superior of those who support Hardy due to his drug-free lifestyle. At Night of Champions, Punk lost the championship to Hardy. Their feud continued through SummerSlam, where Punk regained the title in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match; afterward, Punk was attacked by The Undertaker. On the August 28 episode of SmackDown, Punk concluded his program with Hardy and achieved his booked goal of excising him from the WWE, defeating Hardy in a steel cage match wherein the loser agreed to leave the company.
[YOUTUBE]v=3bzYanlsTXQ[/YOUTUBE]

At Breaking Point the following month, Punk defeated The Undertaker in a submission match to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. Undertaker originally won the match with his Hell's Gate submission hold. SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long re-started the match after stating that the ban that former General Manager Vickie Guerrero had placed on the move was still in effect. Punk would win the match with his Anaconda vise when referee Scott Armstrong called for the bell despite Undertaker never submitting (reminiscent to the Montreal Screwjob, which took place in the same venue in 1997). The feud between the two continued and at the Hell in a Cell PPV, Punk lost the World Heavyweight Championship to The Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match. He lost two subsequent rematches against The Undertaker on Smackdown, and then in a Fatal Four Way match at Bragging Rights also involving Batista and Rey Mysterio.

Punk then took on the character as the leader of the Straight Edge Society, first converting Luke Gallows, who was formerly known as Festus. Continuing to espouse his straight-edge philosophy, Punk began to present himself as a cult-like savior to the crowd, growing his hair, beard and chest hair long in an allusion to Jesus. Punk then began to convert planted members of the audience to a straight-edge lifestyle, making them take a pledge of allegiance to him and shaving their head as a sign of renewal and devotion, including Serena, who became the second official member of the SES. Punk continued to show messianic traits, frequently giving sermons including during the annual Royal Rumble match as well as during an Elimination Chamber match at both pay-per-views.

In the Chamber match, he was eliminated by Rey Mysterio, whom he had feuding with leading into the PPV. Tensions escalated as Mysterio prevented him from winning a Money in the Bank qualifying match, causing Punk to interrupt Mysterio's celebration of his daughter's ninth birthday. Punk feuded with Mysterio through three PPV's losing to Mysterio at Wrestlemania, defeating him at Extreme Rules. He lost the final match of the feud in a hair vs SES match, where Mysterio would have been forced to join the SES had he lost. Punk lost, and had his head shaved. Punk began a feud with Big Show following this, which he also lost. Shortly after, he was traded to Raw for Edge, but was injured and joined the commentary booth while recovering. At the end of December, Punk left the commentary team after assaulting John Cena on Raw and SmackDown with a chair. Punk later revealed that his motives for the attacks were that he had joined and assumed control of The Nexus. He again adopted a cult like leadership presence, putting the "New Nexus" through initiations and telling them to have faith. He is currently feuding with John Cena as a result, and is the company's top heel.

The purpose of this long history lesson is to show you where we've been, and where we are now regarding Punk's heel character. Punk has worked the straight edge gimmick as both a face and a heel with great success at times. The purpose of this thread, like the others, is to determine how you would successfully turn Punk face, and why it would work. I welcome you ripping others scenario's to shreds, just be darn sure to give me an alternative one. As always, here are your discussion questions.

1. How would you successfully turn CM Punk face?

2. Why would this scenario work in your eyes?

3. In 2011, is it a good idea to turn Punk face, or should he remain a heel? Why?

Have fun with this.

Punk could be a good sarcastic, screw kayfabe kind of face, a bit like the one we saw on the announce table without marking for the heels.

I'm not sure how you turn him face though, a face turn is a lot harder then a heel turn. Especially one as effective as Punk, he'd probably need time off. I'd guess you'd have him lead the Nexus into some kind of title(s), set some kind of celebration, have a promo where he says how proud he is of them and everything. Celebrate, and then the Nexus beats him down, out for a month or so. Nexus rips a promo saying they don't need him or anyone etc.

Even with a scenario like that, there is a chance that would only turn Nexus face though. You might even have to turn the Nexus face, maybe vs the Corre or something, though the Nexus seems far more heelish then the Corre.

Though when you look at mega heels, they don't typically turn face, they get injured at some point, have a long layover and they comeback as faces. He might even be able to turn while doing commentary, I thought he was close at a couple of points.

Anyway, no I wouldn't turn Punk face at least anytime soon. He's much more effective as a heel.

This has got to be the hardest one thus far. Punk's character and gimmick just screams heel. I'm straight edge so I'm better than you. And now with his leadership of the New-Nexus, he seems as if he's become more cult like with the initiations and the whole 'faith' thing. Punk is a great heel who is very successful at generating heat. He is perhaps one of the top heels in the WWE and that's an amazing accomplishment. Punk is a wonderful character who doesn't need to turn face any time soon.

However, if he were to turn face, I would suggest some kind of revolution against his Nexus brothern. Let's say he starts to act in such a way to where the group starts to question his leadership. Few months later after a lot of tension between members of the group, he snaps and GTS' everyone in the group. Then next week, he comes out and says his initial reasoning for taking the leadership role of Nexus was soley to destroy the group from with in.

Punk would be very hard to turn. He is very over as a heel generating heat like no other. If he were to turn face, I would suggest dropping Nexus and revolt against them somehow.

Yes, I believe it would work. The rest of Nexus, like Punk, are over as hell as heels. We all know it takes a great heel to establish a great face. If Punk were to revolt against them somehow forming a one man army (somewhat like Cena), he would instantly get loud pops from the crowd and eventually turn into a full fledged face.

3. In 2011, is it a good idea to turn Punk face, or should he remain a heel? Why?

Hell no. Lol.

Like I've said a thousand times already in this post, Punk is a magnificent heel. He potrays the gimmick/character as a cult like leader of Nexus so very well that it wouldn't make sense to turn him in the height of his career(bad choice of wording). Punk has never really stood out unless he was heel. And the whole straight edge thing, really doesn't seem to face-ish. His mic and wrestling skills are superb and he plays the part of a heel, phenomenally.

First of all, nicely done on the summation of Punk up to now.

Turning Punk face would be difficult. It would have to be done over time. He's too much the heel at this point to turn him around in a hurry. Plus, he's got Nexus which will likely keep him heel so long as he is their leader.

How I would do this is to have him go through some sort of intensely personal conflict, not necessarily with his straight-edge bit, that's always going to be a part of him, but with the Nexus itself. A romance which causes friction in the group is always an easy route here, but I'd try something else. Perhaps one of Nexus' members has a child or similarly young friend. Supposing Punk ends up treating him/her the same as he treats the rest of Nexus, likely frightening or even "hurting" the child (kayfabe of course), thus going "too far" in the eyes of his Nexus brethren. The conflict could grow between Punk and the others as Punk attempts to defend his actions and the group is less willing to accept the explanations.

Eventually the conflict grows to the point where Punk is kicked out of the Nexus. Once left to his own devices, through conflicts and influence of other people, Punk is gradually lead to the point where he is helping others by means other than beating them up and tormenting them.

I think it could work, but I doubt that the WWE creative team would want to spend the time and effort it would take to make it work.

I don't think this'll happen in 2011, though. Punk is just too successful as a heel now. It seems to flow a bit more naturally for him, as well. I think he'll ride this "sinister cult-leader" train until it derails naturally.

Punk was massively over when he debut'd he out popped DX and the Hardys at Survivor Series 06, he still gets chants, don't forget royal rumble 10 when he was getting cheered

the easiest way would to book Punk vs Cena at Hammerstein, and i'm 100% serious about that

Punk is at his best right now as a Heel. The only time he was maybe as good was when he was doing the whole Straight Edge Society thing.

I can see him at some point becoming the WWE champion because, he is so over right now. I think it is a possibility that, Punk is WWE champion, Husky/McGillicutty are Tag champions, and Otunga is US champion sooner rather than later.

But, in response to this, I see no need to turn him face in the near future. Although I really disagree to whoever said that, it is harder to turn Face rather than Heel. Anyone remember Randy Orton, or Edge?....didnt look to hard for them.

The way to turn someone face is usually by having them turn and go against either a bigger or at least equal heel... in the case of CM Punk, such a person does not exist, I think the only way to turn him is the way they did Anderson's face turn, or Guerrero's before him. He would have to start helping John Cena. Cena (and the audience) wouldn't trust Punk at first, thinking he has some alterior motive, then slowly everyone would start to realize he's turned a new leaf.

I think it would work, it's a formula that's worked in the past.

Now the million dollar question, should it happen? Absolutely not. While I think Punk could play a face just as well as he can play a heel, his heel character is so strong right now and it's got quite a bit of time before he needs to change things up.

Well this is simple. like others said you do one of three things. Either have CM Punk take on a bigger heel (which maybe hard, it seems only Miz would give him trouble with getting heat). Another way(as someone posted)is to have him drop Nexus by beating them up and then saying that he only took the leader role of Nexus was so he could eliminate them from the inside (like Cena WANTED to do) and of course the last one is to do what someone else said is to have him help a face, like Mr. Anderson did with Hardy, have Punk do that for Cena and then finally have him put his body on the line to help Cena and then Cena helps him and Punk fights back and shakes Cena's hand.

Well, like has been said, in the first one, the heel heat would get him cheers, kinda like with Orton, i dont even think it was planned for him to be the face, but he got cheers instead of Dibiase. the 2nd one would work because he took out a major heel faction and the 3rd one would work because of Cena being a big face.

i think he should remain a heel though, CM Punk in my book has the BEST mic work in the WWE with Miz a close 2nd. Punk knows what to say and how to say it and of course he generates heat easily. He can play the role as a singles guy who calls someone out (like Hardy) or he plays the role of a cult leader type (like the SES and the Nexus) and he does that really well because of how he talks and acts. Also the fact that he can wrestle a match helps him out, but he's the best heel and his mic work and character fit a heel better than a face, he can use the "i'm better than you" gimmick or he can use the "save you" gimmick or he can use the "you people suck because you drink" gimmick or he can lead a group like a cult gimmick. he's a better heel than face in my book and should remain a heel.

First off I'd just like to say that the amount of time and effort you spend summising the subjects of this thread series is commendable. It makes them easily one of the best thread series I have seen and probably the best in circulation currently.

Well I'm going to start by echoing Hamburglar, probably the hardest guy to write for to date. It's always my ipression that the best wrestlers can get cheered when they are face and booed when they are heel no metter how much people recognise them as being either heel or face. If they turn properly then whatever they were doing should be forgotten and people should treat them to the role then then play. I think CM Punk posesses this ability. He was face until cashing in on Hardy where he turned heel and instantly people went from cheering to hating the guy. More recently on commentary he went from heel beforehand to face over the span of weeks where he was being openly cheered then he turned heel again and instantly got boos. This is what I mean by someone who is a good wrestler. So although picking out the scenario for the guy to turn is difficult, once chosen I have absolute faith he would be able to deliver and make people cheer for him.

So for me I'd start on the fact CM Punk is quite small and that he is also a good wrestler. These are the credentials for an underdog style of wrestler, the kind of guy he was when he first appeared in WWE. So how to go about it? OK I just thought this up so don't be too hard on me. I think it should start off by Punk as part of this current feud with Cena. He should be in some sort of match where you can travel from the ring in order to win like I quit or Falls count anywhere or something along those lines. He then gets involved in some kindof spt like where Cena had Batista over the stage in the AA position or with Wade Barrett and the chairs. Except this time Cena shows Punk mercy. This leads to a situation like at the end of the Hogan v Rock match, Punk is showing respect to Cena for not doing what he could have done and Cena is doing the same back because he respects Punk as a competitor. Then the nexus members come down and beat the two guys down and drop him as leader.

The next Raw Punk comes out and makes a speech. He says I was wrong, straight edge isn't about being better than other people it's about being a better person. After all I got shown compassion, compassio that I wouldn't have shown by someone who I would otherwise consider not as good as me, so I was wrong. Nexus come out again and are on the way to come take him out and they start beatingh on him again but cena runs out and clears them out the ring, the segments ends with them shaking hands and Punk vowing to destroy the monster he created as a way of apologizing.

Basically it CM Punk doing the opposite of what he has done for the last couple of years, it's punk saying straight edge doesn't make me better than anyone, I have to earn respect. I think it works well because once again it plays on his real life outside of the ring but doesn't bring his lifestyle into question. So he really does have to do an Anderson style turn IMO, he has to ammend for the guy he has been and get people to like him for choosing to do that.

Tough call, Punk is a fantastic heel. The only scenario I can see him turning heel in would be if someone just as big turned also. I can only really see Punk turning if maybe Orton or even Morrison became heel to balance the books. That way he'd have someone to feud with after his turn. But is there anyone who can play a heel as well as Punk. Cena would get magnificent heat because of who he is, but essentially would probably only be standard as a heel, the other option is orton. Orton can play a very good heel but his character would have to change once again. It's either of them or a returning HHH turning after he finishes his sheamus feud just like edge did last year after his jericho feud at mania.

I honestly think it'll change one of these three guys being heel for it to be a consideration, if it isn't any of them I'd say he's too important to turn because he's just too good.

How do you turn CM Punk face? Easy. You do it when you turn Cena heel. Think Austin/Hart WM13.

This actually occurred to me when Punk first confronted Cena a couple weeks ago on RAW. As magnificent a heel as Punk is, his persona - cocky, fearless, sarcastic, self-assured - could make him into a (maybe even the) TOP face when the company moves in a slightly different direction. In fact, it's going to have to happen eventually, because big chunks of the crowd are DYING to cheer for Punk. (Just like they're dying to boo Cena. Hmmmmm...)

I don't have specifics. But it wouldn't be hard, even in this current feud. Punk keeps calling Cena out on his dishonesty, his brutality, his hypocrisy. All you need is a Cena moment where he truly reveals himself as dishonest or cowardly and there you go. Settle it with a PPV match (hell, you could even rehash the 'I quit' match from Austin/Hart) where Punk proves himself and Cena betrays himself.

I wouldn't do this in 2011, though. Save it and launch and epic Cena-Punk II feud down the road, with the roles reversed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back