Box Office Standings 2013

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
I used to do this in the old Bullshit About Movies Thread, so I'm giving it a try again.

January 18-20, 2013
1. Mama- $28,123,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)

2. Zero Dark Thirty- $17,600,000 weekend gross/total gross-$55,945,000

3. Silver Linings Playbook- $11,351,000 weekend gross/total gross- $55,310,000

4. Gangster Squad- $9,110,000 weekend gross/total gross-$32,220,000

5. Broken City- $9,000,000 weekend gross & total gross- $9,000,000 (opening weekend)

6. A Haunted House- $8,330,000 weekend gross/total gross- $29,980,000

7. Django Unchained- $8,243,000 weekend gross/total gross-$138,362,000

8. Les Miserables (2012)- $7,814,000 weekend gross/total gross- $130,372,000

9. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey- $6,405,000 weekend gross/total gross- $287,395,000

10. The Last Stand- $6,300,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)​

One thing is clear, Jessica Chastain is slowly becoming a reliable box office draw. Most horror aficionados will credit Guillermo del Toro's presence as producer for Mama's success, but let's be honest, the VAST majority of regular moviegoers aren't familiar with del Toro's entire body of work.

Also, I won't tout Mama's first week success as a victory for mainstream horror. The majority of reviews I've read peg it as another ordinary PG-13 horror flick with lavish CGI effects, and it's January, the official safezone/deadzone for Hollywood releases, so I won't get my hopes up

Shocked to see Arnold's Last Stand flop. I mean, you'd think more people would be excited about the action king making his triumphant return to the big screen, right?

I'm not sold on Chastain being a draw just yet. Heavily-marketed horror movies tend to do well in their opening week. As for Schwarzenegger's latest movie flopping (I saw it because of the director), let's not forget that he was already losing his box office appeal before he became Governor. Anyone remember The Sixth Day or Collateral Damage? I just had to look them up.

I actually really liked the Sixth Day. It was mindless fun. Collateral Damage was okay. I had hoped that Last Stand would do a bit better but I will see it eventually, as there is nothing more entertaining than watching shit blow up for 90 minutes. Dredd bombed and I enjoyed the shit out of that. Then again, I am easily amused.

I'm honestly surprised to see Django ahead of Les Mis, though I would expect Les Mis to eventually overtake the takings of Django. What with all the controversy surrounding Django, I guess it's to be expected that it would either under perform (hi Grindhouse) or perform strongly, looks like its a case of the latter.

While I wasn't blown away by Gangster Squad I thought it would generate more money than it has overall. It's not a game changer film for the crime genre, but it revisits familiar territory and has a decent enough cast.

Arnie will always be the King of action cinema to a lot of people and his cameos in films like Welcome to the Jungle (The Rundown), Around the World in 80 Days and Expendables are great bonuses, but he simply isn't the same guy who battered Predators, gave anger management advice to Bennett or protected John Connor.

I'm honestly surprised to see Django ahead of Les Mis, though I would expect Les Mis to eventually overtake the takings of Django. What with all the controversy surrounding Django, I guess it's to be expected that it would either under perform (hi Grindhouse) or perform strongly, looks like its a case of the latter.

Not only did the controversy help it but so did the fact that it is an excellent movie. Probably my bias, but I have no intention of seeing Les Miserables as musicals do nothing for me. Django is going to grab the adult male demographic more so than Les. Also, Tarantino has a built in core audience that returned with alacrity for Inglorious and probably grew due that movie.

As for Schwarzenegger's latest movie flopping (I saw it because of the director)

How was it Tdigs? I still plan on watching The Last Stand in theaters, but I cringe every time I see Johnny Knoxville in the trailers and TV spots.

How was it Tdigs? I still plan on watching The Last Stand in theaters, but I cringe every time I see Johnny Knoxville in the trailers and TV spots.

It was a very good action film. Yeah, Johnny Knoxville looks like an idiot in the trailers but zany comedy is essential to any non-thriller Kim-ji Woon makes. I normally wouldn't go see something like The Last Stand in the theaters but I'm always willing to put my money where my mouth is if Hollywood imports a great Korean director like Kim-ji Woon.

Am I right in thinking that he's the director of The Good The Bad and The Weird? Absolutely loved that film and really need to give it another watch. I watched Once Upon A Time In The West last night so I'm ready to go through a bunch of Westerns now, including Django today.

I understand that the Django soundtrack, as with any QT film, is getting a positive reaction, but when I was watching OUATITW it struck me just how great Morriconne is and how well Leone used his music. For the running time of the film, there's not an over abundance of dialogue but the music not only fills the gaps, it also adds a lot of emotion to what is happening onscreen. Something I'm going to notice with Django I think.

Also, tdigle, I started watching The League last night. Not bad so far but I keep getting thrown off thinking that the main guy is Ron Livingstone! Will carry on with it today.

Not really sold on Chastain overall but I did like her in Mama and I liked the movie a lot. It's a horror film that genuinely gives off a creepy vibe. Not too much in the way of gore here but, in some ways, that's become tired & dated. I like a movie that's able to make you feel creeped out. Too often, especially among fans of slasher movies, it seems like the audience goes to the movie to cheer on the killers and see all the blood rather than to get a genuine scare out of the movie.

I'm not surprised to see Arnold's movie flop. He's 65 years old and, at least in my mind, it's kind of ridiculous seeing him in this sort of role. Sure he's in great shape no matter what, but it doesn't take the sting off the fact that he's legitimately a senior citizen. Most people just aren't turned on by the kind of somewhat stereotypical action flick that pushed him to stardom 30 years go. At least then he had time on his side as well as a very unique appearance. These days, every action film star gets all buffed out, but not quite in the same bodybuilder sort of way as Arnold did. People just aren't gonna put aside his age to suspend disbelief enough.

A Haunted House is a movie taken straight from the same line as the Scary Movie franchise. It would've been huge 10 or 12 years ago. I won't say that I didn't laugh because I did, but it's strictly juvenile comedy. It's a good way to turn your brain off for 90 minutes or so if you like slapstick comedy, which I do.

As for Schwarzenegger's latest movie flopping (I saw it because of the director), let's not forget that he was already losing his box office appeal before he became Governor. Anyone remember The Sixth Day or Collateral Damage? I just had to look them up.

You're clearly forgetting End Of Days in there. I would also say Batman & Robin, but absolutely nothing could've saved that movie.

January 25-27, 2013

1. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters- $19,000,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)

2. Mama- $12,860,000 weekend gross/total gross- $48,648,000

3. Silver Linings Playbook- $10,000,000 weekend gross/total gross-$69,465,000

4. Zero Dark Thirty- $9,800,000 weekend gross/total gross- $69,904,000

5. Parker- $7,000,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)

6. Django Unchained- $5,005,000 weekend gross/total gross- $146,295,000

7. Movie 43- $5,000,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)

8. Gangster Squad- $4,200,000 weekend gross/total gross- $39,647,000

9. Broken City- $4,000,000 weekend gross/total gross- $15,270,000

10. Les Miserables (2012)- $3,912,000 weekend gross/total gross- $137,237,000​

Well, horror continues to reign supreme at the box office in January. Texas Chainsaw 3D opened up at #1, last week it was Mama, and now Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters grabs the number one spot. I haven't seen it, but Witch Hunters looks like bloody good fun, but I'll avoid the 3D.

Movie 43 was going to flop no matter what. The trailers and TV spots were terrible, and Richard Roeper tore this film apart in his review. He gave it a 0/4 rating, and called it the "Citizen Kane of awful" movies.

I'm also not surprised by Parker's lukewarm opening. I like Jason Statham, but the trailers for Parker were very underwhelming. Also, from reading other reviews, the nonexistent chemistry between Statham and Lopez is a real problem.

And after one week at the number ten spot, Arnold's Last Stand dropped all the way to #16 on this week's list. Tdigle and Dowds already mentioned it in here, but Arnold's mystique as the action king started to fade before his hiatus years ago. I seriously forgot about End Of Days and Collateral Damage, and Sweep The Leg brought up the travesty known as Batman & Robin. I'm pretty sure Eraser was Arnold's last true hit at the box office.

Horror has another opportunity to grab the #1 spot again. The horror comedy Warm Bodies opens next week. Plus, Stallone's action flick Bullet To The Head is coming to theater's next week, and Stand Up Guys starring Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin premieres.

February 1-3, 2013
1. Warm Bodies- $19,505,000-weekend gross/total gross- $20,025,000 (opening weekend)

2. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters- $9,210,000-weekend gross/total gross-$34,463,000

3. Silver Linings Playbook- $8,113,000-weekend gross/total gross- $80,378,000

4. Mama- $6,730,000- weekend gross/total gross-$58,262,000

5. Zero Dark Thirty- $5,300,000- weekend gross/total gross- $77,798,000

6. Bullet to the Head- $4,500,000- weekend gross & total gross- $4,500,000 (opening weekend)

7. Parker- $3,215,000- weekend gross/total gross- $12,440,000

8. Django Unchained- $3,039,000 weekend gross/total gross- $150,979,000

9. Les Miserables (2012)- $2,439,000 weekend gross/total gross- $141,523,000

10. Lincoln- $2,412,000 weekend gross/total gross- $170,787,000​

Horror continues to dominate, but I'm still on a hiatus from going to the theater, so I haven't seen Warm Bodies, Mama, or Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters yet. Stallone's flop doesn't surprise me. If someone just randomly posted the Bullet To The Head trailer on YouTube without any promotion, you wouldn't be able to separate it from other straight-to-video action trailers, or anything with Dolph Lundgren.

Stand Up Guys starring Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin opened at a disappointing #17 this week, hauling in $1,500,000 overall. The trailers for this film were kind of depressing, and I didn't have an urge to watch a movie about a bunch of old mafia guys having one last ride.

Next week Side Effects starring Rooney Mara and Channing Tatum hits theaters, and Identity Thief starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman debuts. Plus, I think they're re-releasing Top Gun in IMAX 3D on February 8th.

I am actually kind of surprised how poorly action films are doing at the boxoffice. I enjoyed Last Stand and Parker. I have yet to see Jack Reacher but that movie underperformed and I only heard good things about it, though Cruise is fucking nuts.

There were other bombs from last year like Dredd and Recall and I thought both were decent. Expendables 2 and Bourne Legacy performed below expectations too. All is not lost as Skyfall, Looper and Django all exceeded expectations.

I just guess that the aging action stars that I grew up on no longer draw. And people are bored with Statham despite my man-crush on him.

And people are bored with Statham despite my man-crush on him.

There's no surprises with Statham, and he's not a strong draw by himself. It's just that simple. Also, FilmDistrict REALLY tried to push the duo of Statham and Jennifer Lopez, but who cares about this team? It was an odd pairing from the start, and Lopez's buzz as a celebrity faded a long time ago.

ANYONE who follows Statham knows what they're in for, when they decide to watch one of his movies. A high octane style of directing, over the top and flashy action sequences, and some sort of ridiculous climax/final showdown.

Transporter 2 was the last Statham film I watched in theaters years ago, and I HATED it, easily the worst film in the entire series (although #3 was a really shitty film). I didn't have any high hopes for Parker, but I'll definitely watch it on DVD. That's what I do with any Statham film now a days, because Statham flicks never rise above the "mindless fun" threshold.

Statham is my favorite action guy, and I always take the time to watch his movies, but he'll never draw Arnold or Stallone-like numbers from the 80's and 90's, because he's not on the level of a mega star.

There's no surprises with Statham, and he's not a strong draw by himself. It's just that simple. Also, FilmDistrict REALLY tried to push the duo of Statham and Jennifer Lopez, but who cares about this team? It was an odd pairing from the start, and Lopez's buzz as a celebrity faded a long time ago.

ANYONE who follows Statham knows what they're in for, when they decide to watch one of his movies. A high octane style of directing, over the top and flashy action sequences, and some sort of ridiculous climax/final showdown.

Transporter 2 was the last Statham film I watched in theaters years ago, and I HATED it, easily the worst film in the entire series (although #3 was a really shitty film). I didn't have any high hopes for Parker, but I'll definitely watch it on DVD. That's what I do with any Statham film now a days, because Statham flicks never rise above the "mindless fun" threshold.

Statham is my favorite action guy, and I always take the time to watch his movies, but he'll never draw Arnold or Stallone-like numbers from the 80's and 90's, because he's not on the level of a mega star.
Yeah, there are no surprises with Statham. He has mixed it up here and there....but not much! Lopez was pretty useless in the film. They should have just focused on him kicking ass. Not that it would have made much of a difference.

Overall I like the film. Why? Because of Statham. It is not groundbreaking or anything but enjoyable.

February 8-10, 2013

1. Identity Thief- $36,593,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)

2. Warm Bodies- $11,500,000- weekend gross/total gross- $36,652,000

3. Side Effects (2013)- $10,015,000 weekend gross & total gross (opening weekend)

4. Silver Linings Playbook- $6,908,000- weekend gross/total gross- $90,002,000

5. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters- $5,750,000- weekend gross/total gross- $43,833,000

6. Mama- $4,323,000- weekend gross/total gross-$64,046,000

7. Zero Dark Thirty- $4,000,000- weekend gross/total gross-$83,600,000

8. Argo- $2,500,000- weekend gross/total gross-$123,734,000

9. Django Unchained- $2,288,000- weekend gross/total gross-$154,501,000

10. Bullet to the Head- $1,980,000- weekend gross/total gross- $8,171,000​

Identity Thief being #1 this week is no surprise. Although, I thought Side Effects would provide tougher competition. I still don't buy into the belief of Channing Tatum as a big box office draw, but I was hoping for Side Effects to do better than #3. Supposedly, Side Effects is the last film for director Steven Soderbergh, but Soderbergh hasn't confirmed retirement from directing just yet. And Top Gun IMAX 3D opened up at #11, hauling in $1,900,000.

Beautiful Creatures opens up next week, but the new Die Hard film should blow everything out of the water. A Good Day To Die Hard should easily knock Identity Thief out of the #1 spot, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen.

May 10-12, 2013
1. Iron Man 3- $72,472,000 weekend gross/total gross- $284,893,000

2. The Great Gatsby (2013)- $51,115,000 weekend gross & total gross

3. Pain and Gain- $5,000,000 weekend gross/total gross- $41,608,000

4. Tyler Perry Presents Peeples- $4,850,000 weekend gross & total gross

5. 42- $4,650,000 weekend gross/total gross- $84,732,000

6. Oblivion- $3,864,000 weekend gross/total gross- $81,655,000

7. The Croods- $3,600,000 weekend gross/total gross- $173,215,000

8. The Big Wedding- $2,500,000 weekend gross/total gross-$18,288,000

9. Mud- $2,343,000 weekend gross/total gross-$8,363,000

10. Oz The Great and Powerful- $802,000 weekend gross/total gross-$229,985,000​

Kind of surprised Gatsby didn't have a stronger opening weekend. I mean, yeah with Iron Man 3 still fresh in theaters, you could never rule out the possibility of Gatsby being number two, but still, if Iron Man 3 took the number one spot (and it did), I would've expected a closer margin of victory. This is the fifth film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, but this is the first Gatsby film in thirteen years. I haven't seen Gatsby 2013 yet, but the latest entry in Gatsby cinema has received an overall lukewarm reception from critics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back