CM Punk at Wrestlemania

Sneaky feeling, completely left field but one of the best disenchanted pro wrestler in CM Punk could propel pro wrestling int another boom.
I liked his work. However, is it really plausible that CM Punk could propel pro wrestling into a boom? He didn't do it before. He doesn't have the crossover appeal.

I liked his work. However, is it really plausible that CM Punk could propel pro wrestling into a boom? He didn't do it before. He doesn't have the crossover appeal.

It's hard to say there seems to have some sort of a sub culture mainstream following. Not exactly a guy with cross overappeal but seems to be someone that has appeal outside of the wrestling.

Who knows maybe if WWE nurtured that he would have a broader appeal. Austin's and Hogan's popularity didn't spawn over night both needed to be associated with a celebrity to go over the top.

Of course I am not saying Punk would bring WWE to another boom period but if his push was handled better he would have been a bigger draw.

Fun thread.

I love how people are calling Punk an egomaniac and saying he will never be back.

Cute.

Anyway, see I'll explain a few things FIRST) IMAGINE, he returns and where do you see him going and SECOND) The wrestling world is experiencing a bit of a renaissance albeit a small one compared to the Eras behind it. But it is developing and it would take one storyline Ala nWo or one superstar Ala Hulk Hogan to propel it into SOME sort of mainstream attention again.

I would have thought if Brock could do both UFC and WWE that would have been it and everyone from us the AE fans, to the old school fans to the new ones would have loved it.

That isn't happening now.

See if Punk does sign with a ROH, NJPW their reach gets a significant amount of boost but it is in WWE where you see the most impact.

Now I see people here going 'oh he's like Joe, Balor he was just the most indie guy in 2011 in WWE now he will be lost...' stop. Hulk Hogan looked like every body guy in the 80s and Steve's black trunks brawler style weren't unheard of especially to Hawk Bradshaw. It's the personality, his connection and he DOES have a connection.

The right storyline, the right build voila!

I have said it before but I believe CM Punk is the most overrated wrestler in history, Skill wise he was at best decent and passable but was far from great or from being anything special, didn't stand out and promo wise he was the dullest promo guy ever in the company, All he did was complain about his oponent to hype a match, He left because he couldn't headline wrestlemania because of the part timers but the year he left Daniel Bryan headlined wrestlemania? Punk doesn't even have 1% of the talent of a Daniel Bryan so how dare he? Vince is a business man if anyone drew they would headline Wrestlemania their not going to sacrifice a huge draw for some part timer, He has also brought back several others for doing worse than what Punk done so if they thought there was money to be made he would be back but I don't think many care for Punk anymore and certainly not for the money Punk thinks he's worth anyway only good accomplishment the guy has done was marry AJ Lee.

OK, we can imagine three men with the egos the size of Canada, all suck it up for the greater good. OK, now that we are out of Wonderland, the Queen of Hearts is saying "Good riddance to bad rubbish." CM Punk needs WWE right now like he needs to be diagnosed with AIDS. He owns real estate in Chicago, where he is killing it. (A Tattoo joint is paying him $4K a month rent). He is making money from his comic book deals and appearances. He still has an MMA deal. Never mind AJ's royalties. Unless VKM is going to give him better than Brock, which he won't, no way in hell does Punk even FATHOM coming back.

It's hard to say there seems to have some sort of a sub culture mainstream following. Not exactly a guy with cross overappeal but seems to be someone that has appeal outside of the wrestling.
Maybe, but most of the neckbeard wearing, basement dwelling crowd already watch wrestling, so how many will it really draw?

Who knows maybe if WWE nurtured that he would have a broader appeal. Austin's and Hogan's popularity didn't spawn over night both needed to be associated with a celebrity to go over the top.
As much as I dislike Hogan the person and Hogan the character, he had the most crossover appeal of anyone ever in the business, while in the business. The Rock is pretty recognizable now, but most of his fans have never seen a Rock match and I would venture a significant number know little to nothing about his wrestling history.

Hogan's crossover appeal started with Rocky III, with his mainstream fame and wrestling fame growing at the same time. It's hard to believe how big this was unless you were there are the time, and it was amazing.

Trying to get lightning to strike again like that has proven very elusive, and it sure as heck isn't going to happen with CM Punk, as much as I do like the guy and his in ring work, as opposed to be dislike of Hogan.

Stingray: $4000 per month rent doesn't even register on the radar of business rent.

He'll return when he gets low on money. I know he says money doesn't matter to him, but when the accounts run low, I doubt he will still feel that way. New Japan would make sense so he can save face. I imagine, at some point, he returns to WWE. However, why would they overpay for him? What has he done to make himself worth Lesnar/Cena money since he left WWE? Nothing. His worth has dropped, no question about it.

He'll return when he gets low on money. I know he says money doesn't matter to him, but when the accounts run low, I doubt he will still feel that way. New Japan would make sense so he can save face. I imagine, at some point, he returns to WWE. However, why would they overpay for him? What has he done to make himself worth Lesnar/Cena money since he left WWE? Nothing. His worth has dropped, no question about it.

I did some googling and it seems Punk has increased his net value from $6 Million (when he walked out) to $8 Million. Of course these websites aren't always the most accurate that seems to the consensus.

So 2 Million in 3 years aint bad. So I don't see how you can say his worth has dropped.

So it's not a matter on when but if. I would say he probably has some side projects to get some extra income so I think he will be fine.

I agree he will probably go back to Wrestling though it's no guarantee it will be the WWE. Heck once Bryan leaves the WWE, I would think another Wrestling promotion would want to book Bryan vs. Punk and I am sure the promotion and Punk will make some good money out of it.

By worth, I mean his worth to WWE. His star has dropped since leaving. Even if the numbers are correct, he has made far, far less than he would've with WWE. Expect those income numbers to decline the longer he is out of the spotlight.

Cody and the Bucks want to sell out a 10k seat arena, Punk would guarantee it would. That's the only thing Punk would return to wrestling for if he ever decides to.

Cody and the Bucks want to sell out a 10k seat arena, Punk would guarantee it would. That's the only thing Punk would return to wrestling for if he ever decides to.

Only if new Japan and the bullet club as a whole was connected.

Cm punk is still not that mainstream of a name.

Only if new Japan and the bullet club as a whole was connected.

Cm punk is still not that mainstream of a name.

Who cares about being mainstream, he's the biggest name in wrestling next to Bryan in the last decade. Punk is more mainstream than the entire Bullet Club.

Who cares about being mainstream, he's the biggest name in wrestling next to Bryan in the last decade.

Sure, if you want to leave out John Cena, Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker, HHH, Roman Reigns, Batista, Randy Orton, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Edge... probably missing a few, but I think my point has been made. He may be even with some of them, but saying he and DB are tops sounds so smarkish.

This isn't 2013. He holds the same value with current fans that he did in 2013, and less with potential new viewers.

This isn't 2013.

He said "in the last decade" and you said this isn't 2013. 2013 was within the last decade, so your rebuttal is irrelevant.

His one UFC fight did not make him mainstream. The only people that cared were people who already knew about him. It was not a big deal to most people. It was a big deal to wrestling fans who enjoyed debating how well he would do. Most people can't name any UFC fighters, so Punk going from WWE to UFC just meant he went from one niche group to an even smaller one.

He said "in the last decade" and you said this isn't 2013. 2013 was within the last decade, so your rebuttal is irrelevant.

His one UFC fight did not make him mainstream. The only people that cared were people who already knew about him. It was not a big deal to most people. It was a big deal to wrestling fans who enjoyed debating how well he would do. Most people can't name any UFC fighters, so Punk going from WWE to UFC just meant he went from one niche group to an even smaller one.

Most people know that Brock lesnar was in the ufc.

CM Punk has huge value, albeit for a small window. People will tune in if WWE creates a compelling story that revolves around him, his departure, maybe his wife, and most importantly his angst. There is a huge audience that has been tuning out over the years that will come back for him and stick around if WWE can write and execute a compelling storyline.

Even new fans (do they really exist?) will tune in if the story is compelling enough.

Most people know that Brock lesnar was in the ufc.

Most people know that Hulk Hogan was a wrestler. So, using your "logic", that makes any other wrestler mainstream?

Even if that thought went through your mind, why did you feel the need to post it on this thread? It was one sentence, with an arguable claim, that served no purpose and just made you sound foolish. Are you trying to get your number of posts up so you get a new title around here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back